Formula 1 Rolex Großer Preis Von Österreich 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 532 comments
He could have turned in slightly harder there when Albon was alongside him. If that would have caused more understeer then maybe not be as much on the throttle as he was so the car doesn't track out wide like that. Or, having even more awareness that we know Hamilton has, he could have initially turned in harder (thus leaving room) knowing that Albon was coming up on him and on a softer tire.

That's some great armchair driving.

That was the most entertaining F1 race I've seen so far this year. :D

But seriously great stuff, except for the 60's era reliability.

I never called for a DQ, did I? And no, he didn't turn in on him, he continued to track out wide when he didn't need to.

He could have turned in slightly harder there when Albon was alongside him. If that would have caused more understeer then maybe not be as much on the throttle as he was so the car doesn't track out wide like that. Or, having even more awareness that we know Hamilton has, he could have initially turned in harder (thus leaving room) knowing that Albon was coming up on him and on a softer tire.

All wrong.

He could not turn in harder. He's already hit the bloody apex. Turning in more on a not fully up to temp, losing grip hard tyre will only cause understeer and make it worse.

This picture shows contact has already happened between them, and Albon isn't even using the kerb! Nevermind the green bit, the red and white too! Like I said in my other post, Albon's angle of attack is totally wrong.

20200705_155950.jpg

Please, try and argue with this.

One of the most pathetic decisions from the FIA.

I was ready to write off this race as just another Merc steamrolling and then everything got turned upside down. Leclerc hauling that dreadful Ferrari to the podium is miraculous.

Really happy for Lando to bang in that last burst of pace to snatch the podium.

All wrong.

He could not turn in harder. He's already hit the bloody apex. Turning in more on a not fully up to temp, losing grip hard tyre will only cause understeer and make it worse.

This picture shows contact has already happened between them, and Albon isn't even using the kerb! Nevermind the green bit, the red and white too! Like I said in my other post, Albon's angle of attack is totally wrong.

View attachment 937705

Please, try and argue with this.

One of the most pathetic decisions from the FIA.
Yes, thank you someone with some sense. Racing incident, if not Albon's fault.

Emotions are gone and rewatching that incident between Hamilton and Albon. If I were a steward, that would still be 100% on Hamilton. Albon has the clear advantage pulling out ahead of Hamilton with Albon right on the limit. He drove that overtake to perfection. Hamilton on the other hand, should have backed off when he realized the overtake was already done and focus on coming back at Albon on the next DRS straight. I’m a racing driver, so no armchair commentary from me

The people saying Hamilton was already in it and worn tires and all that: All he has to do is one thing. You know you don't wanna hear it and it sucks as a driver but he could have simply let off the gas. Of course no racing driver wants to do that, but if he was a bit more clear-headed in that moment he would know he can stay close on Albon's gearbox and easily catch him in the DRS zones.

I’m a Hamilton fan, and will say a penalty is due when a penalty is due, but that was a racing incident through and through.

A poster on here said that Hamilton has poor race craft though he was avoiding drama the first few laps.

Albon was getting too far ahead of himself with that overtake. Not only did Albon have soft tires, he had a car that ‘could have’ outpaced the Mercedes due to the gearbox sensor issues they were having as well as running hard tires.

I say it’s a racing incident because there wasn’t much Hamilton could do. He was on old hard tires, and in a corner like that, there’s always a risk of tangling. Knowing the line Albon took, he should have known that these cars understeer at low speed and him trying to rocket around the outside would leave too much room for contact from a slower, under steering car from the inside.

I feel the stewards through a penalty in in pity for Albon; he has a lot more to learn.

Fantastic race. It’s great to see a new face on the podium, and always nice to see Bottas- he silently controlled every aspect of that race, leaving no room for error.

Agree he should of got alot more then a 5 second penalty.

in the video he gave half a car space on the track and he had already lost the overlap, he has no rights at that point.

Hahaha.

Funny, because in this screenshot milliseconds before contact, I see Hamilton using more than 90 degree lock, with Albon's car on the outside, not even touching the red and white kerb (as can be seen in my previous screenshot).

20200705_160932.jpg

If Albon goes in deeper using a wider angle, he uses the kerbs and completes the pass.

A lot to take in here give I'll give it my best!

Bottas: Great race start, great restarts, well controlled, despite Hamilton clearly being faster. 9/10

Leclerc: THIS is how you do damage limitation, here's hoping the new car is up to standards! 10/10

Norris: Evidently very lucky with all the carnage around him when you consider his early race pace but that was so marginal at the end! 9/10

Hamilton: Clearly the fastest guy on track, had Mercedes not had sensor issues I have no doubts he would've barged past Bottas eventually. Not pitting in the second safety car was very costly for both drivers. As for the collision. I'd put it 60/40 Hamilton's fault. No driver is gonna wilfully surrender position (especially Hamilton), but realistically he had no answer with old hards versus fresh softs, he gave enough room, but as Albon was ahead Lewis should've backed off from an inevitable collision. 7/10

Sainz: Another great performance. 👍 9/10

Perez: Pace was a tad underwhelming, just unfortunate with the penalty at the end. 7/10

Gasly: Kept out of trouble. 7/10

Ocon: Ditto. 7/10

Giovinazzi: Ditto x2. 7/10

Vettel: No comment. 3/10

Latifi: Well in one race he's already matched his teammate's best result, but he needs to pick up the pace. 6/10

Kyvat: Stayed out of trouble, but not off the kerbs... 7/10

Albon: The contact was Hamilton's fault but Albon was way too impatient. On those tyres he was guaranteed the win, if that was two of three laps before the end it would be more understandable. 7/10

Raikkonen: That was very strange, looks like the kerbs shook the bolt off. 7/10

Russell: Williams have clearly improved, he had Vettel behind for a while, shame about the engine... 8/10

Grosjean: Everything about Haas is tragic. 5/10

Magnussen: Everything about Haas is tragic. 7/10

Stroll: Now that the car is competitive, his inferiority to Perez is clear to see. 6/10

Riccardo: Probably could've got 6th or 7th. 7/10

Verstappen: I'm less annoyed about this now because of everything else that happened afterwards . HOWEVER, Red Bull need to ensure this does not happen again next week. If Mercedes fix their car they will walk it without Verstappen in touch. 8/10

In Albon's defense, he's still very inexperienced with the intricacies of a Formula 1 car. I doubt in that moment he was thinking about the fact "that these cars understeer at low speed and him trying to rocket around the outside would leave too much room for contact from a slower, under steering car from the inside."

I personally feel okay knocking Hamilton more for this because he has more experience and potentially should know better. You can't say the same for Albon yet.

Hahaha.

Funny, because in this screenshot milliseconds before contact, I see Hamilton using more than 90 degree lock, with Albon's car on the outside, not even touching the red and white kerb (as can be seen in my previous screenshot).

View attachment 937706

If Albon goes in deeper using a wider angle, he uses the kerbs and completes the pass.
He approached the corner wide and lost the overlap mid corner, it is his fault. Albon was before the part when he rides the kerbs and you can see that if you watch his onboard, if Albon goes wider he loses the ability to make the turn.

Hamilton would've passed him if it wasn't for the safety car, did you actually watch the race?

Bottas won because he started on pole, got a great start and was in the best position when all of the chaos unfolded behind him (and also had to manage their gearbox issue). To me that isn't luck.

Not going to argue about what would definitely have happened in a race as chaotic as that... but I was glad I stayed up to watch it.

Last edited:
Notes from this amazing race:

1- Besides Mercedes and Max, all cars are closely matched.

2 - Ferrari is no quicker than McLaren or RP. I think they have been very lucky with the safety cars otherwise they would have been lapped.

3 - The amount of retirement of mechanical issues is mind blowing! For a moment I thought I was in the 90's.

Leclerc hauling that dreadful Ferrari to the podium is miraculous.
Leclerc in this race was some Fernando Alonso-tier stuff right there. Further proof he is a future champion (pending him not being in a Ferrari, obviously).

BRILLIANT Valteri, Charles and Lando... absolutely brilliant.

VERY SAD Max Verstappen. I'm starting to believe that Max will never be world champion in Red Bull. Car (team) always fails at critical important landmarks.

WHAT A JOKE Vettel.... what are you doing, boy?

HAMILTON, what's wrong with you, champ? That was all on you and luckily, your car always survives!

Last edited:
Hamilton on the other hand, should have backed off when he realized the overtake was already done

At what point do you think this was and how do you propose he backs off?

He picks his braking point whilst ahead of Albon and decides to defend position. I can tell you Albon is only ahead when Hamilton is less than a car length away from apex kerb. From this point, if he brakes more he locks up and understeers straight, if he turns more he understeers.

Maybe someone could suggest what he should have done apart from "back off". Maybe Albon should have backed off at that corner on the first lap before there was inevitable contact with Hamilton, if he didn't come out of the throttle and let Albon use ALL of the exit kerb. :rolleyes:

Latest Posts

Back