Formula 1 Rolex Großer Preis Von Österreich 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 532 comments
I have not seen or heard of any protest or criticism of the stewards decision to penalize Hamilton 5 seconds. If no protest is forthcoming from Hamilton or Mercedes, then that must be taken as acceptance of the legitimacy of the penalty, no?
What are you doing?

I have not seen or heard of any protest or criticism of the stewards decision to penalize Hamilton 5 seconds. If no protest is forthcoming from Hamilton or Mercedes, then that must be taken as acceptance of the legitimacy of the penalty, no?
No its called maturity. Its called being big about it. Why cry over spilled milk.

The stewards have made their wrong decision, and they will know it was wrong. This may benefit Mercedes in the future.

For everyone saying Hamilton could have just turned his wheel more or lifted off, if we’re using that logic then couldn’t Albon have just turned his wheel more too given the amount of space he had to avoid Hamilton? It would have been much easier for him to do that compared to what everyone’s saying Hamilton should have done. Or better yet, Albon should have went for a less risky move as stated before, especially when you’re the last car running on the team.
People disagreed with my opinion on this too, but I think Albon just doesn't have enough experience with that specific type of racing scenario. He may not have known to think of that as an option. When you're in the heat of a moment like that you may not be able to see the bigger picture. That comes with experience. I'm not saying that makes it okay, but I can understand it being the case.

My take on the penalty after watching it a couple of times and considering the limitations of the car, five seconds for Hamilton is appropriate. Hamilton definitely wasn't racing dirty and arguably didn't do anything wrong. He took the apex as fast as he felt he needed to in order to race Albon and unfortunately the car just under-steered wide despite Hamilton's throttle delay and maximum steering. He made efforts to acknowledge Albon's presence but it wasn't enough to avoid contact. That's just racing.

The only reason I believe the penalty was assessed is because by definition, Hamilton had a responsibility to avoid contact with Albon being ahead. He tried, the limitations of the car didn't allow for sufficient action to be taken. Fair penalty in my opinion.

Also I sim-race so does that also make my opinion more valid? No? Okay. :lol:

People disagreed with my opinion on this too, but I think Albon just doesn't have enough experience with that specific type of racing scenario. He may not have known to think of that as an option. When you're in the heat of a moment like that you may not be able to see the bigger picture. That comes with experience. I'm not saying that makes it okay, but I can understand it being the case.
Yeah and I understand where you’re coming from, and I truly believe that it’s possible Albon doesn’t have the experience for situations like this. It all comes back to driving within your own skill level and making moves that are smart for the team. For me, this is why I consider it to be a racing incident due to Albon making a rather reckless move.

Looks like I'm late to the party in replying to this but backing off is generally done by reducing your throttle input. Given your sim background, I would have assumed you knew that.

Onboard with Hamilton starts at about 7 seconds. At which point should he be backing off?

I just don't see it that way, and it's okay to disagree but do you think he could have approached the turn differently knowing Albon was alongside him?
Hindsight's always 20/20. I think Hamilton was racing for position and approached the corner as such. Of course the collision would have been avoided if he just gave up but that's not what racing drivers do.

Technically yes it was Hamilton's fault. We don't have to make him out to be incompetent or reckless.

What are you doing?
I am looking for any criticism or appeal of the penalty from team or media sources. So far, I have found none.

IMHO, it was a racing accident that was preventable if either Hamilton or Albon had so chosen. Albon put himself in a vulnerable position, and was not in a good position to complain. Apparently the current etiquette in F1 is to penalize that sort of thing. I've been in similar incidents in karting and nothing was done.

Only this confirms that Lewis left Albon a car width of space which he didn't bother to use resulting in a collision.

I'm not sure I follow this logic. Lewis did leave Albon a car's width of space...right up until he didn't. Room left to the outside of Alex doesn't matter, as mentioned before. Now, if Alex intentionally turned down the track toward Lewis, you'd be 100% correct, but he held the expected wide line around the corner.

And as someone previously pointed out the onus is on the person making the pass to ensure that it is done safely.

I don't know personally (as far as F1 goes) if this is true. I can see plenty of cases where a pass is carried out safely but the person being overtaken makes a mistake and causes a collision. That's not the overtaker's fault.

I don't know personally (as far as F1 goes) if this is true. I can see plenty of cases where a pass is carried out safely but the person being overtaken makes a mistake and causes a collision. That's not the overtaker's fault.
Ocon/Verstappen Brazil 2018?

Looks like I'm late to the party in replying to this but backing off is generally done by reducing your throttle input. Given your sim background, I would have assumed you knew that.

Also considering that most of the racing drivers I've seen post about the incident have thrown the blame squarely on Lewis, I'm feeling pretty comfy with my take on the incident. I'll let you guys continue pouring over it since I've learned it's hard to sway the opinions of fanboys.

Avoided the first part of my question and answered the second ambiguously as ever. Impressive.

If you ever want to have a proper discussion, feel free to go back and address my post(s) properly.

He didn’t turn in, He underdressed into Albon. Still Hamilton’s fault.
At no point have I said it wasn't Hamilton's fault. I think he needed at least 10 seconds worth of penalty, but the stupid lengths of witch hunting in this thread against him is way too strong. The hunters are making up excuses for how Hamilton is the devil or something and completely ignoring that Albon didn't help himself.

There is a strong difference between it being Hamilton's fault (which it was) and it being a deliberate collision (which in no way was it).

No its called maturity.

Maturity is not hitting a car when you are in control of your racecraft after over a decade at this level. Just like Seb needs to stop hitting others, Lewis does too with a far superior car. I expect much more out of a 6x world champion. If he hadn't pushed the envelope, he would have lucked into second.

Since we’re getting all witchy in here, do you think Verstappen will take a knee next race to offset the bad energy from today?

Regardless of the varying opinions about the penalties, it was nice to see decisions made relatively quickly, after some decisions last year took a ridiculous amount of time to get made.

Mostly I'm gutted for Albon, and I have to agree with the commentary call, if he had just managed to be a little more patient, that would have been an easy P2 or potentially even a win for his first podium. I hope Alex doesn't feel too beaten up about it, and with a round 2 coming up I hope he can show us what he can manage with a little better luck.

Honestly I thought this was a great race and a cracking way to get this strange season underway. It's clear how fragile the cars really are, when the teams haven't had nearly as much testing to understand where they can and can't be pushed. We saw just about every kind of mechanical issue today, and that's definitely not only down to some nasty kerbs.

I'm mightily impressed by Lando, he really refused to let the race get away from him in the dying stages and to see him smash fastest lap to secure that podium really gives me hope as to what he's capable of. He's certainly proven himself to me today as worthy of a lot of the hype that follows him - I'd previously written him off slightly as he does have his meme status, good looks, down with the kids thing going for him.

Looks like McLaren have doubled down on him too, I think with Sainz leaving he has probably had to accept that he's not gonna get preferential treatment on his car, which seems totally fair. Finishing behind LeClerc and Norris can't have felt too nice.

I thought Perez had a good showing too, I always appreciate how hard he drives, but I have to question the strategy call as I'm not sure he was ever going to get quite that distance out of the mediums, even with a bailout from the second SC. Odd choice by racing point, but I'm not a strategy master.

All in all great race, was so refreshing to kick back and watch a GP again.

This was the first F1 race I have watched in some eight years. And, oh boy, it's probably the last for another decade. It's so artificial, safety cars left and right for next to nothing (I mean, five laps to secure the Magnussen car which was light-years away from the track?) and the Hamilton penalty was cringeworthy.

This was the first F1 race I have watched in some eight years. And, oh boy, it's probably the last for another decade. It's so artificial, safety cars left and right for next to nothing (I mean, five laps to secure the Magnussen car which was light-years away from the track?) and the Hamilton penalty was cringeworthy.
They were being trigger happy with the safety car for a reason - it makes it easier for track officials to adhere to social distancing rules. With the eyes of the lockdown world on F1, probably a wise move.

KMags car was also on the end of a very long straight, only takes another brake failure or car collison for cars to end up on that spot.

The Russel DNF being a safety car was questionable but there was no proper way to get it off without doing one.

They were being trigger happy with the safety car for a reason - it makes it easier for track officials to adhere to social distancing rules. With the eyes of the lockdown world on F1, probably a wise move.

KMags car was also on the end of a very long straight, only takes another brake failure or car collison for cars to end up on that spot.

The Russel DNF being a safety car was questionable but there was no proper way to get it off without doing one.

Fair enough, but FIVE laps to get Magnussen car out of danger? I mean, it was parked right where the barrier ended.

Fair enough, but FIVE laps to get Magnussen car out of danger? I mean, it was parked right where the barrier ended.
That doesn't mean there's access to the pits there, it's also a pretty short lap at Austria. Yes the car ended up out of the way but one has to consider checking the track for debris, and all the protocols the teams and officials are supposed to follow right now can make everything take longer.

It was a lot of SCs but tbh I think they helped make for an exciting race here, it all felt pretty organic to me considering cars were exploding left and right :P

On a lighter note, here's Norris dominating his champagne bottle.

I feel like Ante Up by M.O.P. would fit perfectly with this clip.

I don't see how you guys can possibly see the incident with Albon/Hamilton could be anything other than a penalty, Albon pretty much had it made and got sent off, we saw the stewards give time penalties the same severity for incidents where they don't get sent off to last place and can keep racing (Canada 2019, and yes i still believe it is B.S)

That was when everyone started pitting. It took 5 laps for everyone to actually line up behind the Safety Car in a line.

Latest Posts

Back