Formula 1 Rolex Magyar Nagydíj 2021

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 555 comments
He wouldn't have been last though, he'd have passed many of them whilst they were stopped in their pit boxes and it was the reverse, other cars holding for HAM. Well, unless you're Alfa.
Mercedes is the last garage. He'd have been held in the pitbox because literally every other car would have been released and back up to pitlane speed limit before him, and releasing him into their path would have been an unsafe release.

There's a mild chance he would have been able to get out into the slow lane and gone two-wide through pit exit, though that would have been... a risk. Either way, Mercedes has yet again screwed up its strategies.

The one I missed is Giovinazzi. He started the first start by diving in for slicks. Did he then dive in for inters or switch to inters under the red flag - and if he switched for inters under the red flag, how come no-one switched to slicks upon seeing the rain stop and the track start to dry under the red flag and they all had to pit to do it?

I think I know the answer - given that no one did - but aren't the teams allowed to change tyres during a red flag? It might be that they can change "like for like", so only option for the teams was new intermediates...

Mercedes is the last garage. He'd have been held in the pitbox because literally every other car would have been released and back up to pitlane speed limit before him, and releasing him into their path would have been an unsafe release.

There's a mild chance he would have been able to get out into the slow lane and gone two-wide through pit exit, though that would have been... a risk. Either way, Mercedes has yet again screwed up its strategies.

The one I missed is Giovinazzi. He started the first start by diving in for slicks. Did he then dive in for inters or switch to inters under the red flag - and if he switched for inters under the red flag, how come no-one switched to slicks upon seeing the rain stop and the track start to dry under the red flag and they all had to pit to do it?
Mercedes is the first garage they come to, not the last. So he'd have pulled in, done his stop, waited for the back end of the train to go past then get out into the fast lane, passing cars who were either still doing their stop or couldn't release into his path.

Williams are last, and Russell couldn't get out into the fast lane because of the queue so he decided to try passing them all. Worth a try.

I think I know the answer - given that no one did - but aren't the teams allowed to change tyres during a red flag? It might be that they can change "like for like", so only option for the teams was new intermediates...
Yes they are allowed. I think they all simply thought the track was still damp.

Mercedes is the first garage they come to, not the last.
Oh yeah, other way about.

I always thought that was weird too; I can see with a very short pit lane the last garage being an advantage - a single, constant acceleration phase - but anywhere else and any of the others is much of a muchness. Everyone has to brake twice (down to limit, down to rest) and accelerate twice (up to limit, up to speed).

Ocon pitted first and was first in the queue (except cheeky Russell) so I don't see much of what the issue would be. Because it was a Green flag lap and the drivers weren't right on each other's tails, there should have easily been gaps for Mercedes to service the car and slot it into. I reckon they'd have lost at most 1 or 2 places. Either way, if Lewis had fallen to the back, he could have made the passes on that first lap anyway and made more of an impression on the top 2 at the end of the race.

I think the perceived advantage of having the first pit box is clearer line of sight for the crew to an incoming car and less chance of colliding with another car exiting its box as your car is entering yours.

I think the perceived advantage of having the first pit box is clearer line of sight for the crew to an incoming car and less chance of colliding with another car exiting its box as your car is entering yours.
Plus in any pit lane battles you're at the advantage because your rival is far more likely to have to hold for you coming past so as not to unsafe release.

Jup 99% of the time it is the better choice. To change for this one situation doesn't help. Also Russell was very lucky with his "give the places back" instead of a penalty or letting every single car which was in the fast lane thru. So the last pit wouldn't solve this. First pit remains the best choice.

Last edited:
After the cock up at the start seeing some big names going out, the highlight of the whole race for me was Alonso's epic battle against Hamilton. Just like old times. I was surprised at this video though.

Did Alonso side with Max at Silverstone or is there some team link I don't know about?

On Ted's notebook he said that Merc suggested Lewis would have come out of the pits between 8th and 10th after having to wait for the train to go past.

Edit: just checked - Alonso bunched the pack up to ensure he didn't have to wait for Ocon's stop to finish, so worse Lewis would have came out is 6th. Think he would have maybe lost a position or two.

Last edited:
Because it was a restart, everyone would have had to line up at the end of the pits in the order they entered it, thus why Russell gave all the positions back. It's academic how much he would have had to wait. As such the only loser was Mazepin because Alfa Romeo shouldn't have had to rush so much.

Did Alfa Romeo get penalised for the unsafe release, by the way? It wasn't made clear in the highlights.

Last edited:
Did Alonso side with Max at Silverstone or is there some team link I don't know about?
I think Alonso is just joking a bit. This is an interview for Dutch tv, so that's why he's referring to Max in the first place. Dutch interviewer is the biggest Max simp you'll ever find, and most drivers know that, and just give him their Max quotes to be rid of him

Oh yeah, other way about.

I always thought that was weird too; I can see with a very short pit lane the last garage being an advantage - a single, constant acceleration phase - but anywhere else and any of the others is much of a muchness. Everyone has to brake twice (down to limit, down to rest) and accelerate twice (up to limit, up to speed).
Being first garage wasn't an advantage in France either. Start the video at 4:00.

Just to be clear (I may have struggled translating your post)
Correction => He mistook the silence for consent to the status quo. (i hope this is the part you were referring to)
I was a bit bemused by it too but this is why we heard Sainz strategize on the radio and zero suggestion that it was wrong.
Unless i misunderstood who spoke on radio, Sainz strategized alone on the radio, his engineer staid evasive.

Last edited:
I think Alonso is just joking a bit. This is an interview for Dutch tv, so that's why he's referring to Max in the first place. Dutch interviewer is the biggest Max simp you'll ever find, and most drivers know that, and just give him their Max quotes to be rid of him
The "I tried" bit at the end makes more sense, now. Cheers.👍

Because it was a restart, everyone would have had to line up at the end of the pits in the order they entered it
I don't believe that is true. Once they come into the pits it's a free for all, they're no longer taking the formal restart. Otherwise it'd be absurd, drivers would have to sit and wait for each other if someone was having a slow stop.

The video of Russell jumping the queue was posted earlier in the thread, he just literally jumped the whole queue rather than waiting to join in a natural manner at the end of the pit lane.

Rejoining wasn't the issue, passing while having gained an advantage via significant track limits at the preceding corner is the rule the FIA didn't bother to enforce. Cutting a chicane and then pulling off an overtake at the next corner is obviously not on, why was this?
Had he done the overtake on the inside on the very next corner it would be the same thing as Hamilton's at spa, because he didn't pass in that manner and went around the outside you can say he approached the corner in a neutral and or disadvantageous position.

As to the cars with Floor damage, because the current spec cars have their floors sticking soo far out from the body basically any side contact is going to wreck havoc on the floor and take away massive chunks of downforce as the floor is where most of the downforce is, Max had Basically no right side floor left next to the side pod with Ricciardos about half gone, I'm geniunely surprised Max was able to go faster then even a Haas in that condition given the amount of lost downforce and for it all to be on one side of the car and at a track that is maximum downforce.

New 2022 Regs should help in this regard, the floors will not stick out of the body work anywhere near as much so the cars should be much more robust with side contact and so long as there is no retirement level damage there shouldn't be much downforce loss.

Last edited:
I'll admit that I'm a little biased on the topic, but personally it's hard not to notice that most LH memes aren't very funny.
I chuckled at that video.

Lewis bitches about everything if it doesn't go his way.

Bono my tires are gone.
Nek Minnit does fastest lap
No, his tires are not gone, he just screwed them with his signature ULTRA MEGA HYPER PUSH HARD style of driving, the tires blister and have no grip till the blisters are worn away.

Safety Car is going too slow, my tires are cold
Really, for someone who drives one of the best AMGs on the road he should know what its performance is like even more so when you factor in he is a racing driver so he should know the clear differences between a pure race car and a sports car loaded with Safety Gear and Computers.

The way Alonso defended was "Dangerous"
Did lewis not see the irony in this message after what he did to max?
Squeezing in on the inside on a fast corner without slowing down is more "Dangerous"
Even Alonso says "He is always complaining"

The Mercedes F1 car is designed to be in front of everyone else.
This is why it overheats so easily and struggles behind others more than everyone else.

Last edited:
I'd imagine if broadcasters paid as much attention to the other drivers' radios as they do Lewis' we would find they spend just as much time whining when something isn't perfect (except Kimi of course, I don't think he's received that expansion pack yet).
Kimi just tells everyone to be quiet and then rambles on about the lack of ice cream.

I chuckled at that video.

Lewis bitches about everything if it doesn't go his way.

Bono my tires are gone.
Nek Minnit does fastest lap
No, his tires are not gone, he just screwed them with his signature ULTRA MEGA HYPER PUSH HARD style of driving, the tires blister and have no grip till the blisters are worn away.
Wow 3 whole things, and one of them was specific to last weekend, so he complains about 2 things. I don't understand how you can have an opinion on how his tires feel if you're not in the car.

For all of the dramatic "he could have died" nonsense we heard a couple weeks ago, it's ironic that Lewis gets criticized for things like tires. If they're overly worn or not up to temp that increases the likelihood of him crashing, is that not a bad thing?

Wow 3 whole things, and one of them was specific to last weekend, so he complains about 2 things. I don't understand how you can have an opinion on how his tires feel if you're not in the car.

For all of the dramatic "he could have died" nonsense we heard a couple weeks ago, it's ironic that Lewis gets criticized for things like tires. If they're overly worn or not up to temp that increases the likelihood of him crashing, is that not a bad thing?
He complains about his tires when they're not worn but blistered because he overheated them.
We all know if you push too hard on these tires they overheat and blister, when lewis does that Push hard and tries to make up 2 seconds per lap he overheats the tires.
This causes blisters, this reduces the grip until they're worn down, this is why we see him set fastest lap after fastest lap after he made this my tires are worn comments.

He knows that the safety car is not a race car and cant go a million miles per hour so why does he bitch that it needs to go "faster", if the safety car floored it on the straights it will have to slam on the brakes 100m+ before the braking point to slow down enough.
Not to mention this will cause a concertina effect on the cars down the grid as well.

It might be because he is being a little spoiled with this like DAS from last year which helped increase tire temp during safety car periods or formation laps or its replacement "Brake Magic" thing.

But he did something dangerous which is fact, several former F1 drivers mentioned it was not a good idea to try and make a pass at that corner in that fashion, now lewis is complaining about a similar thing where someone on the inside closes the gap.

I mentioned 3 that I could quickly think of.

Pretty sure he complained about another driver "Exceeding Track Limits", yet he was doing the same thing on a few corners too.

Back