Formula 1 SOCAR Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2019

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 188 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After a frankly awful first race, Baku has turned itself into a modern classic with the 2017 and 2018 Grand Prix being absolute bedlam. Surprise winners, unexpected podium placers and with Sergio Perez the only driver to visit the podium on multiple occasions, the only thing you can predict about Azerbaijan is that it will be unpredictable.
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
6.003km

Race Distance
306.049 km

Lap Record
1:43.441 Sebastian Vettel (2017)

Weather looks like it'll be dry again for all the weekend. I'm going brave and saying a McLaren ends up on the podium come Sunday.

Weather looks like it'll be dry again for all the weekend. I'm going brave and saying a McLaren ends up on the podium come Sunday.
I'd love to see McLaren on the podium.

To be fair, I just want to see the race. I didn't like Baku that much because it was too chaotic and seemed to put chaos before driver safety, but it seems they've gotten it sorted and are taking better precautions with safety cars, obviously the halo and driver input.

Bring on the weekend!

I'd love to see McLaren on the podium.

To be fair, I just want to see the race. I didn't like Baku that much because it was too chaotic and seemed to put chaos before driver safety, but it seems they've gotten it sorted and are taking better precautions with safety cars, obviously the halo and driver input.

Bring on the weekend!
What makes you say that? Debris seems as bad as it's always been (looking at last years race)

What pair of team mates are going run into each other this weekend?
Williams. Not because the drivers are in a bitter rivalry, but it'll be orchestrated to get some TV time for the sponsors.

Cynical, me? Naaaaaahhhh

What makes you say that? Debris seems as bad as it's always been (looking at last years race)
The debris is bad, but it seems like they're calling it out and making sure the track is cleared as much as they can. I think they'll be especially stringent after what happened to Bottas.

FP1 has been a disaster already. George Russel has destroyed the underside of his car after hitting a loose drain cover - which has probably broken the chassis and the impact turned the engine off. And on its way back to the pits, the recovery truck managed to hit a bridge, breaking its pipes and dripping hydraulic fluid all over the car. Now they're trying to get the car off the truck with another crane.

FP1 has been cancelled too now to fix all the drain covers...

Not the best promotion for the Baku GP....and really bad luck for Williams.
This should never happen and its not the first time

And then the truck with the Williams car on it also hits the bridge. Sorry to say but that's really amateurish. -->

With the broken chassis lets see if the team can get another car ready for the rest of the day/weekend?

Last edited:
FP1 has been a disaster already. George Russel has destroyed the underside of his car after hitting a loose drain cover - which has probably broken the chassis and the impact turned the engine off. And on its way back to the pits, the recovery truck managed to hit a bridge, breaking its pipes and dripping hydraulic fluid all over the car. Now they're trying to get the car off the truck with another crane.

FP1 has been cancelled too now to fix all the drain covers...

Well done Baku

What do Williams have to do to catch a break? The Gods of F1 have taken a chunk out of their car before leaving it marooned on the "rescue" truck. Sounds like the car's effectively destroyed, Williams think the damage runs into tens of thousands. Which they don't really have.

Last edited:
What do Williams have to do to catch a break? The Gods of F1 have taken a chunk out of their car before leaving it marooned on the "rescue" truck. Sounds like the car's effectively destroyed, Williams think the damage runs into tens of thousands. Which they don't really have.
They'll probably try to do what Haas did in 2017 when Grosjean's car was destroyed by a drain cover in Malaysia. Getting Baku to pay for the damage should be what they go for.

In other news, it's taken 20 minutes for our first Red Flag, and it was Lance Stroll with a pretty pathetic crash early into a really crucial session - seeing as FP1 was cancelled...

A horrid scene in F2 when a driver's car is push-started... with the marshalls in front of the rear wheels. Fortunately they weren't injured, but they took quite a tumble.

What did Sky Sports do for the remainder of FP1 since the session was called off? Just fill time with commentary? I have to wait until I get home from work to watch it but I was just curious what went on.

A horrid scene in F2 when a driver's car is push-started... with the marshalls in front of the rear wheels. Fortunately they weren't injured, but they took quite a tumble.
Indeed. It looked awful but luckliy both guys could walk further. Although the second one was completely flabbergasted and was limping a bit.

ooh and the drain cover has been fixed Baku style

Gasly has to start the race from the pitlane. He missed a weigh bridge call.
Bit too harsh punishment? OK rules are rules. He could better ruin the weigh bridge then :dopey:

From experience, always push a single-seater from the rear wing if you want it restarted. Otherwise, if you're going to push from the side like they were, you speak to the driver first and tell them in no uncertain terms that they must not start the car, so that something like this doesn't happen. Pushing a car clear and bumpstarting a car are completely different things and the driver needs to know which is going on.

From experience, always push a single-seater from the rear wing if you want it restarted. Otherwise, if you're going to push from the side like they were, you speak to the driver first and tell them in no uncertain terms that they must not start the car, so that something like this doesn't happen. Pushing a car clear and bumpstarting a car are completely different things and the driver needs to know which is going on.

Quite right... this must have been a miscommunication. It's miraculous that there weren't broken bones or worse.

Williams now reckon the damage to their car is worth "hundreds of thousands" and intend to seek compensation from the FIA and/or the race organisers. They cite a precedent set by a compensation payment to HAAS after Sepang, 2017.

Haas is achieving far better results with far fewer employees. Williams probably needs to rethink what it's all about before it's too late.

Yeah, at this point, it's obvious refinancing isn't all that's needed. Williams needs a total reboot.

Back