Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 950 comments
Fair chance the title will be decided in the stewards room, not on track.
Reliability could be a factor too, so much has to go right to take part and finish a race. Valtteri's engines seem to go quickly and Max must be running quite high on mileage. At least for Lewis, his front wing seems much better built than the AlphaTauri which was crucial this race.

I wonder if Mercedes will run Lewis's power unit at such high performance levels again or if they will dial it down a bit. The sheer acceleration was so impressive rather than the top speed compared to the Red Bull Honda so I was confident in the way Mercedes delivered the lap time that even when Max benefitted from the red flag, Lewis would have the speed to overtake and be kinder on his tyres. However, it was impressive how much faster the Red Bull was in high speed corners with low downforce wing compared to the Mercedes which showed especially in first sector but they had to really lean on the tyres to get the speed so was happy this race when they chose to go to the Medium tyres and Mercedes kept Lewis on his newish Hard tyres which he was really fast on all weekend. Only worry was VSC stopping that advantage from playing out.

This has to be a record for the most pages on an F1 race thread here.
It is in recent years. Mission accomplished for the F1 owners.

Overall, the most pages for an F1 race thread was the 2014 Japanese GP where Jules crashed. :(
1,603 posts

More recently there was the 2017 Azerbaijan GP thread with 953 posts:

If you're more curious you can use the filter feature to sort the threads by the number of replies.

Can someone explain to me what the 69 bar actually means? I just want to get a good idea of how much pressure that is and how/where it is measured. I checked on Google and did a unit conversion and apparently it translates to just over 1000 psi. Which seems frightening at a glance, but that is due to my only frame of reference with that is tyre pressures so what is normal for braking must be completely different.

First of all where is this measured? Is it on the brake caliper or the brake pedal. Or is it all the same? Lastly why is it measured in bar instead of psi?

Sorry for all the questions but I have no idea on this.

I feel extra salty because I’m working nightshift this weekend so ill have to stay off the internet until I watch the replay.

All this finger-pointing drama stuff is gonna make the championship so awkward for the winner too, whoever wins will have accusations of luck and fixing, FIA conspiracies, all this crap. Why the hell did the FIA think it was a good idea to air all the dirty laundry of the sport in public? Sure it drums up drama, but it leaves the actual racing secondary to whatever poo is being flung behind the scenes.

Last edited:
All this finger-pointing drama stuff is gonna make the championship so awkward for the winner too, whoever wins will have accusations of luck and fixing, FIA conspiracies, all this crap. Why the hell did the FIA think it was a good idea to air all the dirty laundry of the sport in public? Sure it drums up drama, but it leaves the actual racing secondary to whatever poo is being flung behind the scenes.
Well Hamilton has been lucky this season, some red flags saved his ass.
Max has been unlucky, being punted by Lewis in silverstone, tire blow out in Baku, skittled by Bottas in Hungry.
The championship has already come down to LUCK

Well Hamilton has been lucky this season, some red flags saved his ass.
Max has been unlucky, being punted by Lewis in silverstone, tire blow out in Baku, skittled by Bottas in Hungry.
The championship has already come down to LUCK
Luck exists in every single F1 season and every season has what ifs, but ultimately what happened happened and we are where we are. That's sport.

More recently there was the 2017 Azerbaijan GP thread with 953 posts:
Just four short years ago when Vettel was everybody's favourite whipping boy. Now look at him. Time, and dropping away from the pressure at the front of the grid, heals all wounds.

Didn't Masi say to Ron at Mercedes that he can only press so many buttons at a time on the radio after the crash? It seemed like things were a bit out of control. I'll give him some slack since this track was a mess.
The track being a mess falls partially on FIA as well. They didn't build the track, but they approved it.

Can someone explain to me what the 69 bar actually means? I just want to get a good idea of how much pressure that is and how/where it is measured. I checked on Google and did a unit conversion and apparently it translates to just over 1000 psi. Which seems frightening at a glance, but that is due to my only frame of reference with that is tyre pressures so what is normal for braking must be completely different.

First of all where is this measured? Is it on the brake caliper or the brake pedal. Or is it all the same? Lastly why is it measured in bar instead of psi?

That will be brake pedal pressure. For reference, I work in the BTCC and 69 bar is pretty much full pressure at the start of the biggest braking points for our cars.

Anyway, it produced 2.4g of deceleration, which on a narrow, blind curved "straight" at 300kph is just asking for a massive shunt.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me what the 69 bar actually means? I just want to get a good idea of how much pressure that is and how/where it is measured.

Under normal traffic conditions and moderate braking, the hydraulic pressure generated in the brake system in passenger cars will be around 30-40 bar. Severe braking can generate pressures of the order of 60–70 bar. Effectively, it's like performing an emergency stop in your road car.

Brake pressure is measured in bar because it's an SI unit, similar to using KPH instead of MPH, and 1 bar is equal to normal atmospheric pressure. PSI is an imperial unit of measurement.

Looks like Brundle this morning, finally gave us all a pretty easy and to the point explanation in addition to Jimlaad & DG above.
I believe Max initially made a genuine effort to let Lewis through but when he realised that they were both planning to be second over the impending DRS detection line to gain advantage down the pit straight, and with Lewis now on his rear bumper, he angrily hit the brakes at 69 bar momentarily generating 2.4G deceleration, nearly half that normally generated into a heavy braking zone for a high speed approach to a hairpin, and then pinned the throttle.

Last edited:
@Jimlaad43 @DG_Silva @McLaren thank you so much guys!

Well, with that then it's clear he did not brushed on brake pedal by mistake. And he did hit the brakes quite hard. So, a movement like that can only suggest intention. You can't just say it's erratic, and if he were that would be even worse. A guy that's acting in a completely unpredictable manner should not be allowed to race. And if he does brake check a rival intentionally that should also be a black flag. I can only think of a handful of times that ever made me think someone should be black flagged. Namely Maldonado against Hamilton but I think the race had just finished and he hit him intentionally and then Vettel hitting Hamilton in Baku under SC irrc.

Edit: pressed post by mistake midpost

Last edited:
Max could have had one of two intents honestly.

1. As Brundle said, angrily pressed the brake with the intent for Lewis to crash into him
2. He saw Lewis slowing down, so slammed the brake with the intent of Lewis shooting past him.

2 would be a little better, but would mean a serious lack of spatial awareness, and even then be a dangerous and unacceptable move to do.

I do think the penalty as it was given was the correct thing to do. The penalty points are adding up rapidly now, and Max only has himself to blame if he gets up to a raceban. He somehow managed to get over half the points to a raceban in less than 3 months. Almost impressive if you think about it.

If you see telemetry on this video coming into the pits, braking at a reasonable rate is only 39 bar at peak...

It is probably equivalent to his whole body weight forcing on the pedal enough which is an extreme action to do when in third gear exceeding the grip his car had as it sounded like he locked up before point of impact with Lewis behind. I wonder what pressure Lewis was braking at beforehand which avoided it being a major DNF for both.

I know when I tried braking in that type of car, I was quite a bit off that and I was pushing into back of the seat and hitting the pedal as hard as I could. Probably need to be quite strong and have optimised seating position to reach that. CSL pedals load cell kit sensor is only 60KG so it would exceed maximum braking pressure for that.

Back