Formula E Bans Pro Driver After He Hires a Sim Racer to Impersonate Him

It's so cheeky I don't know how he thought he would get away with it, but it is so amusing that he was busted because the sim racer was so much better. It also got me thinking - we don't follow drivers just for the points they score, it's the way they drive. To think that no one would notice!

Well that certainly didn't end very well. What a stupid thing to do. I doubt he'll be able to live that down anytime soon.

Spare a thought for the 18-year old sim racer. He's clearly not thought it through, but a racing driver has contacted him and said something like "Hey, do you want to race against the other racing drivers in my place", and he's jumped at the opportunity...

... and it's got him banned too.

“I am aware that my offense has a bitter aftertaste, but it was never meant with any bad intention.”

Uh huh.
It was just meant to cheat by hiring a driver that’s, ironically, faster than you Mr E PRO.

Even with two wins last year he’s a 7th or 8th place driver.
Audi has better options.

Spare a thought for the 18-year old sim racer. He's clearly not thought it through, but a racing driver has contacted him and said something like "Hey, do you want to race against the other racing drivers in my place", and he's jumped at the opportunity...

Who wouldn't, really? This is a great experience and show off. Now everyone knows his name and his great skills. This is the best promotion. Ban is nothing to compare to gain.

I'm guessing (that) from some of the pro drivers perspective (in regards to esports) they have nothing to gain and everything to lose (hello Lewis).
Nobody wants to look like a hack.
As an example, todays virtual F1 race at Monaco ...
Bottas' first esports race was ruined on the first lap (he eventually finished in the points) but when asked if he'll compete again he seemed indifferent.
The pro drivers complain that all the esports games are so different and that they need time (which they obviously don't have) to adapt.
I watched Charles Leclerc and Coach David battle for the lead in a very entertaining race at Dragon's Trail (with the chicane of death) where Charles eventually met his demise on the last lap. When interviewed, David Perel said that within 5 laps, Charles was up to speed.

Last edited:
oooooooooh !!! The good idea... if any sim racer wants to make some of my GT Sport races... contact me (joke) :boggled:

During these "home" races, some of pro racers show bad spirit... and so different throught each categories.
Exemple:
- GT3 pro drivers were clean and serious, at GT World races in AssettoCorsa.
- F1 drivers were stupid and non fairplay, at F1 2019 charity races (some rage quits in charity race events, maturity is not everywhere...)
Yes, 1st one had official rules, and 2nd was more free, but...

....I watched Charles Leclerc and Coach David battle for the lead in a very entertaining race at Dragon's Trail (with the chicane of death) where Charles eventually met his demise on the last lap. When interviewed, David Perel said that within 5 laps, Charles was up to speed.
Saw it. That was a great race.

Ya, not like the **** show at Monaco today.
It seemed like everyone was bouncing off the Armco railing to gain an advantage.

Daniel is abt to change his game :P

Regarding the virtual GP, I had the chance to talk very briefly on Discord with Filip Presnajder and Nicolas Longuet (both drivers in the eSports race) and they were both indifferent. I guess it's not a serious race for them, which I can understand... Longuet causing a crash in the last two corners with Kiefer and Haddad among other was something I dared not touch upon for fear of being unceremoniously booted from the Discord server... fun to see how their minds work.

Monkey see,Monkey do.The youth watch how business,government,individuals operate without accountability and adjust their morals accordingly to how best reach their goals.
Best ringer award goes to Fine Cotton,A race horse that got painted,won and then almost bought down the racing industry.

Last edited:
This is pretty funny. In all seriousness though, does anyone feel like the ban from Formula E is a bit extreme? Is it permanent? That driver can never return to Formula E?

Yeh, this was a really, really stupid thing to do. Esports is already a very lucrative business... but just like any professional sport, integrity is absolutely fundamental.

Whether one is just starting out or one is an experienced professional, this kind of conduct is potentially career ending. It demonstrates a fundamental disregard for the integrity of the competition, for the other competitors and, most importantly, for the audience... no-one likes to think that the sport they are watching is dishonest and/or tainted, and no would-be professional sportman, whether esports or not, should ever forget that - perhaps some people need to learn this in the first place.

Back