Formula E Bans Pro Driver After He Hires a Sim Racer to Impersonate Him

with almost all the pro drivers fro the series
Mini typo there, @Famine you ate an "m":P
Atleast this proves that you are actually a human and not an insanely intelligent and vocabulary-master robot!
Or maybe this was an intentional trick to make it look like you are a human:odd::lol:

Abt isnt any race driver, he is a very funny dude with his own big youtube channel. I think this was a prank, nothing else.

It was only a matter of time. No way to cover off all the checks and balances needed in real life competition. I'm now waiting for someone to drive under the influence of drugs that would otherwise not be permitted in real competition.

The conversation seems a lot more tame here. But what's funny about these situations is how mad people get about it on Twitter.

I said before that it was only a matter of time before drivers start walking away from these esports events, and it's now started:

Ultimately not a great look for sim racing.

The conversation seems a lot more tame here. But what's funny about these situations is how mad people get about it on Twitter.

I said before that it was only a matter of time before drivers start walking away from these esports events, and it's now started:

This reaction doesn't make any sense. The drivers suspended by their teams thus far this year after esports incidents cheated and were racist. The crap ones, and even the dirty ones, are still fine.

Do these drivers now quitting esports intend to be racist or cheat, and are worried about the real-life consequences of being racist or cheats?

This reaction doesn't make any sense. The drivers suspended by their teams thus far this year after esports incidents cheated and were racist. The crap ones, and even the dirty ones, are still fine.

Do these drivers now quitting esports intend to be racist or cheat, and are worried about the real-life consequences of being racist or cheats?
I think the issue here is that these drivers are taking part in something that's ultimately not their jobs. If they don't have any real obligations to take part in these events, but suffer real world consequences when things go wrong, why would any of them continue? Yes the easy answer is "don't cheat", but where the line is on "cheating" is very blurred. Before you know it drivers are going to get demonized for cutting corners.

I think drivers were taking these events more lightly. With the exception of Kyle Larson I think the backlash to some of these things has been a little ridiculous. Abt's situation was bizarre on it's own (in the end I found it funny personally). But I wasn't expecting any of these incidents to amount to any more than a stern talking to or a slap on the wrist.

Their sponsors might have a thing or two to say about that.

I don't know that these drivers are contractually obligated to do any sim races. Although they could have signed something after things started getting cancelled. But forcing real drivers to sim race doesn't seem like a great idea.

I think the issue here is that these drivers are taking part in something that's ultimately not their jobs. If they don't have any real obligations to take part in these events, but suffer real world consequences when things go wrong, why would any of them continue? Yes the easy answer is "don't cheat", but where the line is on "cheating" is very blurred. Before you know it drivers are going to get demonized for cutting corners.
As we saw with the Virtual GP races, including the very first one with Johnny Herbert, and the recent one from Spain, corner cutting is dealt with by the games. It's not quite the same level as total identity fakery or, for that matter, deliberately smashing someone out of the race because you don't want them to win (this one appears to have been consquence-free) - because these things cheat the viewers out of the experience.

Anyone tuning in on Saturday will have seen Daniel Abt driving a brilliant race and qualifying - perhaps wondering if he's had some training in the week to find some extra speed - and watched him dicing with Vandoorne and Rowland throughout the race. Abt's fans, especially those who know him from his own YT antics, would have been cheering him on. Then, after investing over an hour in the event, discovered it wasn't Abt they were watching and cheering for at all, but some kid they've never heard of, and having that car in a position it wouldn't naturally be in ruined the race Vandoorne and Rowland could have had instead.

If drivers can get away with not even being there while pretending they are, what's the point watching? You might be cheering on some kid who isn't the driver you're supporting, and the results are meaningless.

Not all the FE drivers have driven all the races. It's clearly a thing that they are opting to do, and can opt not to do. It's also clear that if they do opt in to it, they're still representing their teams and sponsors.

Why Abt chose to do this instead of opting out this weekend is bewildering. I guess he thought being in his dad's team would protect him from the japery.

Abtsolute lunacy.

Is it a case that he couldn't be arsed to do it but he was "obliged" to by sponsors so got someone else to do it for him?

I think the issue here is that these drivers are taking part in something that's ultimately not their jobs.

I think you will actually find in the majority of cases, it is actually their job. The modern racing driver is paid to do a lot more than sit in the cockpit and drive. Sponsors and teams / manufacturers would consider sim racing under formal conditions (real world sponsors, etc) would be an integral part of their contract just like the obligation to attend marketing events, promote brands, attend interviews, briefings etc. It has been that way for decades, but even more so in current times, especially since these drivers would otherwise have been paid an awful lot to do nothing during the pandemic.

And I would predict that where cases exist where the above is not true, things will change when contracts are signed next time.

As we saw with the Virtual GP races, including the very first one with Johnny Herbert, and the recent one from Spain, corner cutting is dealt with by the games. It's not quite the same level as total identity fakery or, for that matter, deliberately smashing someone out of the race because you don't want them to win (this one appears to have been consquence-free) - because these things cheat the viewers out of the experience.

Anyone tuning in on Saturday will have seen Daniel Abt driving a brilliant race and qualifying - perhaps wondering if he's had some training in the week to find some extra speed - and watched him dicing with Vandoorne and Rowland throughout the race. Abt's fans, especially those who know him from his own YT antics, would have been cheering him on. Then, after investing over an hour in the event, discovered it wasn't Abt they were watching and cheering for at all, but some kid they've never heard of, and having that car in a position it wouldn't naturally be in ruined the race Vandoorne and Rowland could have had instead.

If drivers can get away with not even being there while pretending they are, what's the point watching? You might be cheering on some kid who isn't the driver you're supporting, and the results are meaningless.

Not all the FE drivers have driven all the races. It's clearly a thing that they are opting to do, and can opt not to do. It's also clear that if they do opt in to it, they're still representing their teams and sponsors.

Why Abt chose to do this instead of opting out this weekend is bewildering. I guess he thought being in his dad's team would protect him from the japery.
I'm not condoning Abt's actions, but like what's wrong with a fine in this situation? It seems like whenever there's a sim racing incident it's all about equating it to the worst thing possible and applying punishment based on that. But now as a result of this, a lot of sim racing events are going to involve kids we've never heard of.

I think you will actually find in the majority of cases, it is actually their job. The modern racing driver is paid to do a lot more than sit in the cockpit and drive. Sponsors and teams / manufacturers would consider sim racing under formal conditions (real world sponsors, etc) would be an integral part of their contract just like the obligation to attend marketing events, promote brands, attend interviews, briefings etc. It has been that way for decades, but even more so in current times, especially since these drivers would otherwise have been paid an awful lot to do nothing during the pandemic.

And I would predict that where cases exist where the above is not true, things will change when contracts are signed next time.
I don't know of any real world driver that has sim racing obligations in their contract. Or that anyone that took part in this event was contractually obligated to do so. Just because there's a pandemic doesn't mean these drivers need to make themselves useful to justify their pay.

Fair enough.. He think that he just representing himself but there is a bunch of sponsor and a huge brand like Audi and the Volkswagen Group that he represent also and he act like a child.

Some drivers during the last couple weeks have ruined the reputation of simracers by their behavior like Pagenaud, Ferrucci, Abt, Norris and so on.

?

I think it’s a bad look for the drivers tbh.

If anything it’s a good look for sim racing because it shows how serious it is taken.

Walking away from it as a driver seems dumb and shortsighted. Pretty sure there is money to be made in the not to far future.

Also:

1. Don’t be racist
2. Don’t cheat
4. Profit

It's a pity too because from all the events I've seen the majority of drivers Pros, Sim masters/Content makers and especially the Legends seem to be enjoying racing with one another including the camaraderie. It's just been great seeing them and how much they seem to be enjoying it.

Exactly. If anything, it gives the impression those drivers will struggle to uphold their integrity when streaming and taking part in eSports events. Considering how these events are more laid back in nature compared to attending a race weekend, this shouldn't be a big ask for anyone who is used to regularly appearing in front of the media.

?

If anything it’s a good look for sim racing because it shows how serious it is taken.

Walking away from it as a driver seems dumb and shortsighted. Pretty sure there is money to be made in the not to far future.

Also:

1. Don’t be racist
2. Don’t cheat
4. Profit
The fact that you think it's a bad look for the drivers is exactly why they're dropping out. When this all started it was a fun thing where real drivers were doing sim races. But now we're judging drivers for their integrity in an exhibition race. If they don't take part, nobody is judging them for their integrity.

I don't really understand how this is a good look for sim racing to anyone outside of sim racing. Video Games were a form of relaxation and entertainment far before they were used for competition.

And again, we keep talking about drivers getting paid, but I haven't seen any dollar amount connected to any driver for how much they're making in any sim racing event/ series. I saw a tweet that implied that they're not making anything because these events are classified as PR/ Sponsored events according to their contracts. So they may not be getting anything additional for these races, yet their real jobs and integrity are on the line when taking part in them. Which if true adds a new layer to the Abt situation.

And the notion that there's any parallels being drawn between what Kyle Larson did any any other indecent we've seen is pretty sad. Getting someone to drive a sim race for you is not calling someone the N word, not even remotely close.

Abt was fined €10,000 for this, should we start fining Sim Racers for incidents too? How many Sim racers would continue racing if they were fined any amount for a racing incident, let alone €10,000?

Now he's saying it was a prank. I think if you really want to prank people while representing your team, their partners, FE and UNICEF then maybe you should consult them about it first. To be honest, it seems like he was on thin ice to begin with. Just a very stupid situation to be in, I have absolute zero sympathy for this guy.

Also other drivers like Da Costa saying how they don't want to stream out of fear just makes them look bad as well. How hard is it to just be cool?

Last edited:
It was only a matter of time. No way to cover off all the checks and balances needed in real life competition. I'm now waiting for someone to drive under the influence of drugs that would otherwise not be permitted in real competition.
I don't see the point of using drugs in sprint races. Maybe in endurance races to stay focused after hours of driving, but you still have to be skilled.

The fact that you think it's a bad look for the drivers is exactly why they're dropping out. When this all started it was a fun thing where real drivers were doing sim races. But now we're judging drivers for their integrity in an exhibition race. If they don't take part, nobody is judging them for their integrity.

I don't really understand how this is a good look for sim racing to anyone outside of sim racing. Video Games were a form of relaxation and entertainment far before they were used for competition.

And again, we keep talking about drivers getting paid, but I haven't seen any dollar amount connected to any driver for how much they're making in any sim racing event/ series. I saw a tweet that implied that they're not making anything because these events are classified as PR/ Sponsored events according to their contracts. So they may not be getting anything additional for these races, yet their real jobs and integrity are on the line when taking part in them. Which if true adds a new layer to the Abt situation.

And the notion that there's any parallels being drawn between what Kyle Larson did any any other indecent we've seen is pretty sad. Getting someone to drive a sim race for you is not calling someone the N word, not even remotely close.

Abt was fined €10,000 for this, should we start fining Sim Racers for incidents too? How many Sim racers would continue racing if they were fined any amount for a racing incident, let alone €10,000?

Don’t agree at all. This sim race was as official as they get. With real sponsors and real brands being represented.

He cheated.

Not sorry for racing drivers dropping out because they can’t casually drop the n word or let somebody else drive for them in in e-sports events. Not at all.

And yes I do think that it makes sim racing look good and not bad.

EDIT: I actually thought about it some more. Maybe the punishment is a bit too drastic.
But they have to set an example. Maybe they’ll accept his apology and take him back in a week or two.

Last edited:
He Cheated. So let's quickly review:

Fined €10,000 - not enough.

Banned from all other Formula E esport events, along with the Sim racer that subbed in for him - not enough.

Lost his real world drive with Audi & Formula E, a series he's been in since it launched - not enough.

Posts an apology video fully accepting blame - not enough.

Not surprising that I'm talking to people who equate video game incidents to dropping the N word. I think I'm done here.

Back