Formula One by 989 studios

• Thread starter Tom M
  • 6 comments
I just made the difficult decision of buying Formula one by 989 studios (a Sony offshoot) over EASports' F1 2002, both for the PS2. Boy did I make a mistake. Formula One is terrible. The graphics are spruced up PS1 graphics (and not good ones at that) The control is terrible, and the music is the most annoying thing ever. I'd give it a 5.5 out of 10.
I did manage to snag a copy of F1 2002 by EASports for my PC and while it may not represent the PS2 version, it is really sharp. The graphics are great, and it controls very well. (wish I had a good wheel.) It has too many assists though (thankfully all of them can be shut off very easily) The steering assist when set to high, will allow you to take your hand off the stick (I use the logitech Wingman Rumblepad) and run a lap without touching just by hitting the gas.

sounds cool tom. has anybody noticed now that the majority of us have GT3 that all PS1 graphics totally suck?

Man that sucks Tom. If i might add a suggestion? I usually decide between F1 games by looking at the back to compare the graphics and options!

That is how i decided to buy F1 2000 over F1 Season 2000, or whatever the name of the other game was that EA released along with F1 2000.

Originally posted by ZeroCool85
Man that sucks Tom. If i might add a suggestion? I usually decide between F1 games by looking at the back to compare the graphics and options!

That is how i decided to buy F1 2000 over F1 Season 2000, or whatever the name of the other game was that EA released along with F1 2000.

I thought I was making an informed guess. From the back of the boxes, both games seemed to have equal graphics. Mine was also on DVD, the other was just a CD. according to the previews mine had 2player racing against the a full set of cars, and EA's version was like GT3 and only 2 cars on the track in 2P mode.
Finally, 989 is Sony Liverpool, and developed by Psygnosis (makers of the best PS1 games) I figured, how could I go wrong?
Anyway, I just wanted to have others learn from my mistakes, that is reward enough.:thumbsup:

I've had the benefit of the Australian release of the Sony F1 game - the backgrounds are actually quite good - it's the cars that are PS1 detailed.

The driving experience is extremely good - through the Speedster 2 wheel. Through the Dualshock II - understand the complaints.

The PS2 EA F1 2001 was a shocker though.

I have the 989 F1 game an I love it. The EA F1 games are really arcady to me. At the USGP playstation had a truck there to compare the 2 games an I feel the 989 game is better. The only F1 game I like from EA sports is the F1 2001 second edition alot of car setups.

Lee

Back