Formula One Proposes Miami Grand Prix for 2019 Season

Some revised layouts of the proposed Miami GP.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/miami-gp-decision-postponed-until-september-1061454/

The motivation for the revisions is to eliminate the circuit doing a full loop around the American Airlines center. Access to the arena was a major concern with the original layout, as there are Miami Heat games scheduled over the days that F1 would be in town.

Future NBA schedules could take the F1 race into account and send the Heat on an extended road trip (happens all the time, I remember the Canucks being away from home for almost 2 months around the 2010 Vancouver Olympics). NBA schedules are set well in advance, too late to change the 2019 schedule.

The new layouts look ok. More technical stuff, not sure how conducive to racing it will be.

Personally I prefer the original, simplest proposal for the hairpin on Dog Island. Of the two new options, I prefer the more simpl. The long version looks too gimmicky.

I don't know, I kinda prefer the version 2 long layout. It looks to have a good flow to it while still being technical.

Last edited:
I don't know, I kinda prefer the version 2 long layout. It looks to have a good flow to it while still being technical.

Agreed, of the 3, the 2nd one is my preferred options as well.

The 3rd options looks way to slow and fiddly down where the hairpin should be.

I’m not sure how I feel about that bus stop chicane though, not sure if that’ll actually be a geniun overtaking spot.

Agreed, of the 3, the 2nd one is my preferred options as well.

The 3rd options looks way to slow and fiddly down where the hairpin should be.

I’m not sure how I feel about that bus stop chicane though, not sure if that’ll actually be a geniun overtaking spot.
I think you might have mistaken me. I meant of the two revised layouts, I like the second one best. That would be the third pic.

I think you might have mistaken me. I meant of the two revised layouts, I like the second one best. That would be the third pic.
Eww, no no no :P

I think that gradual left bend before the 90’ left would making overtaking into that braking zone very difficult / easy to defend. The following fiddly bit through the industrial park would be difficult to follow through, which would space the cars out before the run to the bus stop chicane.

I’d have to see it in full scale to see how slow the section on Dog Island is, but looking at the map, it doesn’t do much for me.

Eww, no no no :P

I think that gradual left bend before the 90’ left would making overtaking into that braking zone very difficult / easy to defend. The following fiddly bit through the industrial park would be difficult to follow through, which would space the cars out before the run to the bus stop chicane.

I’d have to see it in full scale to see how slow the section on Dog Island is, but looking at the map, it doesn’t do much for me.
How about a compromise?

How about a compromise?
You might be onto something there.

That layout looks much more conducive to actual racing.

My concern would still be that the following 90’ left, followed by that left/right sweeping S-bed would space the cars out too much. Too tough to really tell just looking at a map though, to me that’s something that would/should be tested with simulations.

That S-bend certainly looks like it might be fun/challanging to drive, but again, from a pure wheel to wheel racing perspective, I’m not sure.

Just thinking out loud sort of as I’m writing this - a more simple hairpin at the turnaround would certainly be more conducive to situations where Driver A overtakes Driver B on the eastbound run across the bridge, but then Drive B emmediately has a chance to fight back by using a different line through the hairpin. On the layout with the S-bend through the industrial park, I would think that Driver A passing Driver B into that 90’ left would basically be the move done and dusted. 90’ corners are notoriously difficult to fight back at the exit, so Driver B would have to slot in line and follow through the fiddly bit, which would probably be a pretty big ask.

Perfect example of what I’m getting at is the hairpin at Hockenheimring. How many amazing wheel to wheel battles have we seen over the years of guys fighting for position into the hairpin, changing lines, and then continuing to fight on the way out, all the way to the Mercedes Arena. Those kind of battles would never happen if the hairpin was a 90’ corner followed by a slow/medium speed S-bend.

They're effectively closing down half the entry to Port of Miami for several days with any of those layouts. They do have the new Port tunnel, but I'm not sure how it's going to handle larger traffic capacities. It would be a nice addition to the track, but then that would really shut things down.

The Port Miami Bridge linking the island doesn't seem all that safe for racing cars. The pre-stressed concrete is going to be bouncy in between the joints. Not the best place to be airborne! It's 65 feet from the waterway with the challenge of adding some major fencing, in case of a Paul Hawkins impersonation.

My concern would still be that the following 90’ left, followed by that left/right sweeping S-bed would space the cars out too much. Too tough to really tell just looking at a map though, to me that’s something that would/should be tested with simulations.
I understand what you're saying about the hairpins and different lines. I'm looking at the two 90° lefts on the island and thinking they could make for some questionable overtake attempts by overanxious drivers (which are some of the best overtake attempts). But like you say, we won't know without some good simulations.

Back