Forza 8 news got me nervous?

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 296 comments
Well hopefully they'll have dynamic ToD and weather in FM now, hopefully it's not crossgen, and hopefully the Series S doesn't hold them back too much, drop the resolution down to 720p if you have to.

hopefully it's not crossgen
At the Xbox Event Livestream in July where it was announce the endcard only listed Xbox Series X and PC. (Series S had not been announced yet)
Nearly Every other game that wasn't already confirmed a Next Gen exclusive did have Xbox One listed in the endcard of the trailers.

The latest Forza monthly has another update regarding the game, so here's all the notes I took down:

• Playtest was only a part of the game since May 8th, based on its multiplayer
  • Tire collision effects are now 360hz with eight points of contact as opposed to 60hz with only one point of contact in previous games
  • In terms of physics, Chris Esaki claims that the changes made from Motorsport 7 until the current day are more than that of Motorsports 4 through 7
  • Tracks are now smoother thanks to adjusted curbs, allowing for smoother driving and a more realistic feel
  • There will be different tire compounds (hard, medium and soft) coming to the game, allowing for improved race strategy (almost Gran Turismo-style), as well as being able to change the fuel mounts (probably between rich and lean fuel?)
  • Chris Esaki also mentions that the game will also have "environmental factors", meaning that certain aspects (e.g. tire wear) may be affected based on the time and day and weather (semi-confirmed)
  • There will be another playtest in the summer so they might expand the number of players involved, and after that playtest, he will provide another update
And again, Chris Esaki has confirmed that the title has no "8" and no other subtitle, it's just simply "Forza Motorsport". And judging by these playtests, it is highly likely that there are non-disclosure agreements so there is almost no footage or screenshots that you can try to search of.

Last edited:
The latest Forza monthly has another update regarding the game, so here's all the notes I took down:

• Tire collision effects are now 360hz with eight points of contact as opposed to 60hz with only one point of contact in previous games
  • In terms of physics, Chris Esaki claims that the changes made from Motorsport 7 until the current day are more than that of Motorsports 4 through 7
  • Tracks are now smoother thanks to adjusted curbs, allowing for smoother driving and a more realistic feel
  • There will be different tire compounds (hard, medium and soft) coming to the game, allowing for improved race strategy (almost Gran Turismo-style), as well as being able to change the fuel mounts (probably between rich and lean fuel?)
  • Chris Esaki also mentions that the game will also have "environmental factors", meaning that certain aspects (e.g. tire wear) may be affected based on the time and day and weather (semi-confirmed)
  • There will be another playtest in the summer so they might expand the number of players involved, and after that playtest, he will provide another update
And again, Chris Esaki has confirmed that the title has no "8" and no other subtitle, it's just simply "Forza Motorsport". And judging by these playtests, it is highly likely that there are non-disclosure agreements so there is almost no footage or screenshots that you can try to search of.

A wheely good summary 👍

With no number on the name and no other subtitle, may this be the biggest, baddest and best Forza Motorsport title ever created with all their hearts poured into the game.
Yeah, I am really excited about this new one. Sounds like a complete reboot of the series and way more focused on actual racing, leaving the more casual driving for Horizon.

I prefer them to take their time, better do it well than to rush it. And with the Series X not really available it doesn’t really matter to me. I do hope that they will show some footage during the Xbox showcase in two weeks time, but I wouldn’t bet on it as Chris Esaki didn’t hint at that.

Yeah, I am really excited about this new one. Sounds like a complete reboot of the series and way more focused on actual racing, leaving the more casual driving for Horizon.

I prefer them to take their time, better do it well than to rush it. And with the Series X not really available it doesn’t really matter to me. I do hope that they will show some footage during the Xbox showcase in two weeks time, but I wouldn’t bet on it as Chris Esaki didn’t hint at that.
While for me, I think (and hope) that this will be the "ultimate" Forza with just one title to define the whole series for years to come.

I really hope the physics will be up to scratch given Chris mentioned huge changes to the tire model.

It's about time this made a comeback from FM2. Sounds better as well so I'm very interested.
One more thing, about fuel mounts, which is something mentioned by Chris Esaki (if paid attention to closely), does this mean anything like switching between rich and lean fuel (GT Sport-style)?

One more thing, about fuel mounts, which is something mentioned by Chris Esaki (if paid attention to closely), does this mean anything like switching between rich and lean fuel (GT Sport-style)?

I would guess it probably means amount of fuel, which affects the weight of your car and pit stop strategy etc

I just watched it for myself and I think I'll echo what @merseyxshore said: sounds like being able to adjust fuel levels in the pits.

Reading this screams the next Forza Motorsport is going to be epic! And if you know ask me, I like that Chris Esaki is keeping us informed about the next Forza. Wish PD would do the same, but unfortunately, they prefer leaving their fans in the dark rather than informed...

Anyway, back on topic, I like that this Forza Motorsport is gonna be more hardcore than the last, as well as bringing back old content like tire branding/compounds. :D I too hope T10 take the time they need up until next year developing the game. 👍

I LOVE the fact that we're being informed like this. Big respect to Chris and T10 this decision. :cheers:

To any of the T10 dev team that may look at these threads from time to time...seeing as Forza is always full of rally cars and cars associated with rallying, can we get some tarmac rally events in the new one?? Even if they're just circuit-based rallies that use the track, pit lanes and access roads in different layouts like the Monza Rally or the MSN Circuit Rally Championship. They're actually becoming really popular!

While for me, I think (and hope) that this will be the "ultimate" Forza with just one title to define the whole series for years to come.
That would really be the best way to go at this point. The tech curve is slowing enough, that we don't need new titles every 18 - 24 months. It's better to lay a groundwork foundation on current tech and trends, and build it up over time. Think how much more quality content we can get in that amount of time, if the dev teams only have to focus on the additions such as cars, tracks, events, and such, and not re-working the whole game for the next pending release constantly.

I could definitely see this next title being one that's built up over time. It would be easier to do since adding maps and other content in Motorsport is theoretically easier than it would be in Horizon (One track as opposed to a whole map expansion). PG/T10 have already shown that they can somewhat support a game long-term with FH4, but Horizon 4's biggest issue is that it's built like a game that was meant to only be relevant as long as the other Horizons have been. It seems like it was never meant to go on as long as it has.

FM(8) could be quite the force if they purposefully built it to be supported long-term. Not only does this mean a stream of new content, it also means constant and consistent bugfixes, acknowledging community feedback, and providing content consistently. T10 needs to create more content out of less work (e.g. adding different game modes such as autocross, car bowling, elimination races, etc.). They have the resources to make FM(8) the ultimate pseudo-sim racing sandbox, they just need to put those resources to good use.

Let me put it this way. This game should give me no reason to go back and play Forza Motorsport 4 periodically.

Odds we get to see more of it at Gamescom this month?
You’ll get in-depth updates from some of our previously announced Xbox Game Studios titles alongside some of our third-party partners, including some of the incredible titles coming to Xbox this holiday, upcoming releases to our monthly subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, and much more.

Last edited:
Odds we get to see more of it at Gamescom this month?
My bet is very slim. Microsoft will likely want to focus their marketing on FH5 for the moment.
Earliest I'd expect to see anything FM related is early 2022.

The marketing is for FH5 this year, maybe in 2022 we will see something more about Forza Motorsport

Last edited:
I concur, no need to muddy the waters while their next release is in max hype mode.

I would guess the big beats come at E3 next year. There isn’t really a decent slot for them to do it before then.

I would not expect any footage or screenshots until the next E3. We might get some information teases between now and then but nothing crazy; this is just speculation.

They are definitely going to rely on Forza Horizon 5 to hold peoples attention for a little while.

Last edited:
After watching (and rewatching) yesterday's launch trailer for GT7, there are some things I wish Turn 10 would improve in FM:
  • I really do envy GT's livery editor. I know people have done great liveries with the existing tools, but imagine what they would do with better resources, and it would be great for the untalented, like me.
  • Their parts shop looks incredible.
  • I saw a big warehouse garage, probably a dealership. Dealerships would be great, and maybe return to the garages we had in FM4, 5 and 6.
  • The lighting. It probably is a mood thing, but FM7's lighting just infuriates me, so washed out and dim.

And, there are things that GT can keep for themselves:
-The phony preciosity: GT's cars look eternally waxed, they never get dirty, dinged or scratched, it actually breaks immersion for me.
-Scapes mode: I play racers to race, and the occasional photo I take is during real racing conditions, not by photoshopping the car.
-While accurate, their racing circuits (real/made up) look lifeless. I wish we get some sense of ambiance. The latest Grid did this right.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
After watching (and rewatching) yesterday's launch trailer for GT7, there are some things I wish Turn 10 would improve in FM:
  • I really do envy GT's livery editor. I know people have done great liveries with the existing tools, but imagine what they would do with better resources, and it would be great for the untalented, like me.
  • I saw a big warehouse garage, probably a dealership. Dealerships would be great, and maybe return to the garages we had in FM4, 5 and 6.
  • The lighting. It probably is a mood thing, but FM7's lighting just infuriates me, so washed out and dim.

-The phony preciosism: GT's cars look eternally waxed, they never get dirty, dinged or scratched, it actually breaks immersion for me.
-Scapes mode: I play racers to race, and the occasional photo I take is during real racing conditions, not by photoshopping the car.
-While accurate, their racing circuits (real/made up) look lifeless. I wish we get some sense of ambiance. The latest Grid did this right.

What are your thoughts?
How the things turned around, GT players probably used to envy Forza for having a Livery Editor, but still it's an accomplishment for PD to implement it rather well in just 1 game (GTS).

Which part shop? The GT Auto or Tuning Shop?

The first GT7 trailer kinda don't have actual garage in the garage menu, just a car showing with a background, but dunno if that'll change too with PD changing the menu.

I agree that albeit car wash marginally affect performance, they should actually make the car dirty to make use of that feature better.

-The phony preciosity: GT's cars look eternally waxed, they never get dirty, dinged or scratched, it actually breaks immersion for me.

What are your thoughts?

Gran Turismo lacks gritiness I get what you mean its too classy and clean.

It needs to have a motorsport feeling too especially when it comes to racing cars.

Forza's needs a major overhaul. There are bugs there still present from way back; trying to add anything suddenly removing factory stripes and decals has always annoyed me. There should be an option to "Clear Car" to accomplish that instead of a bug. I think the system to search for new liveries also needs restructuring and easier to find stuff instead of endless scrolling. Also wouldn't mind if the system allowed us to edit other people's liveries, but the livery becomes locked from being shared in return to protect the original creator.

However, given people are still noticing car models from also way back, I'm not putting much faith in them doing anything to the livery editor but adding new options and layers whilst the same bugs persist.

Last edited:
Really curious to see how the game is coming along though.

After seeing GT7, it'll be interesting to see what T10 has up their sleeve (or doesn't). GT7 doesn't look like it's adding a whole lot of new tracks from GTS. Hoping FM8 has plenty of new tracks, considering it's been since 2017 since we've had anything regarding new/returning tracks. That's almost 4 years ago now!

I know it's all gonna be FH5 for the next while (and rightfully so) but hopefully we could get a gameplay trailer at the VGA's maybe?

If T10 could do livestreams like the Lets Go streams from PG, that'd be awesome, would be great to see both franchises humming along in harmony nicely.

Forza's needs a major overhaul. There are bugs there still present from way back; trying to add anything suddenly removing factory stripes and decals has always annoyed me. There should be an option to "Clear Car" to accomplish that instead of a bug. I think the system to search for new liveries also needs restructuring and easier to find stuff instead of endless scrolling. Also wouldn't mind if the system allowed us to edit other people's liveries, but the livery becomes locked from being shared in return to protect the original creator.

However, given people are still noticing car models from also way back, I'm not putting much faith in them doing anything to the livery editor but adding new options and layers whilst the same bugs persist.
I never understood why the stock stripes/decals aren't a separate color option when you choose the car color, or even why they don't have it as an option in the decal editor similar to parts selection, where you can choose from "no decals", any of the factory colors, as well as a color picker to make them any color you want.

Speaking of soundtracks, I just don't get GT's infatuation with classical music. I love classical music but I simply don't associate it with motorsports (I did love The Cardigans My Favorite Game, though.) FM7's soundtrack was borderline atrocious and I wish they return at least to the previous musical direction. PC2, in my opinion has the best instrumental song (Eau Rouge) for a car game, ever.

That aside, my dream is that they could get Hans Zimmer and produce something like the Rush soundtrack!

Back