Forza Horizon 4: General Pre-Release News & Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,945 comments
Aside from doubling the production cost?
Adding a disc would double the production cost..... sure. :D

FM7 already had a 30GB day one patch to add in all the content that couldn't fit on the disc. I don't think disc space is the issue. and FM7 isn't alone in modern games having massive day one patches to fill out content that couldn't fit on the disc.
That what I meant. You can make a day one patch (it is still a DLC). It is not a space issue.

If it was a space issue, then I don't see what could stop them from just placing the content they couldn't fit on a spare disc to install like with Forza Motorsport 3 & 4. I didn't complain about that then and I wouldn't complain about it now.

I was thinking more along the lines of space they are allowed to take up on the system.

Adding a disc would double the production cost..... sure. :D

A run of 5 million copies of FH4 right now means producing 5 million discs. Adding a second disc for installation means a second run of 5 million different discs from the first run. Completely double? Possibly not. But it certainly would involve an additional cost.

I really don't think we'll see multi-disc games anymore. With patches weighing in at well over a dozen gigs in some cases these days, companies realize it's far easier (and cheaper) to stick to digital.

A run of 5 million copies of FH4 right now means producing 5 million discs. Adding a second disc for installation means a second run of 5 million different discs from the first run. Completely double? Possibly not. But it certainly would involve an additional cost.

I really don't think we'll see multi-disc games anymore. With patches weighing in at well over a dozen gigs in some cases these days, companies realize it's far easier (and cheaper) to stick to digital.
Ok, it is a reasonable thinking but it is wrong'... IMO. I remember a certain game named Grand Theft Auto 5 for PC. That game had 7 discs whit the same price as an ordinary one disc console game. So it is something wrong here. Ether Rock Star was wrong or you are.

Ok, it is a reasonable thinking but it is wrong'... IMO. I remember a certain game named Grand Theft Auto 5 for PC. That game had 7 discs whit the same price as an ordinary one disc console game. So it is something wrong here. Ether Rock Star was wrong or you are.

Just because they sell it at the same price doesn't mean it doesn't cost more to produce.

This topic is taking a weird direction. I'm perfectly fine with being on the losing part. Lets get back on topic... I was just trying to point out how the dubble the production sound ridiculous... OMG, I did it again.. sorry,sorry. :dunce:

Yes, it would be an additional cost, but that cost would be negligible. The cost in producing a game like Horizon isn't in the manufacture of the physical copies. It's in the development. Literally hundreds of people working for two years to create an environment from ground up, licensing fees and the cubic tons of lawyers that comes with needing to license products, locating and scanning appropriate cars, recreating them digitally (yes, many of those cars are reused from previous games, but there are still dozens of new cars introduced in each game, including all the DLC). Scanning real buildings and roads, tracking and recreating weather, let's not forget expansions, and all the programming, testing, modeling driving dynamics, retesting and testing some more to make sure you have a product that won't crash on initial fire up. The cost of the printed discs is likely less than half a percent of the overall budget for a game this size. The cost of adding another disc would be insignificant.

Whether this game would benefit from adding a second disc is not a question I can answer. I buy digitally, so I don't worry about discs, just storage space.

Last edited:
If it was a space issue, then I don't see what could stop them from just placing the content they couldn't fit on a spare disc to install like with Forza Motorsport 3 & 4. I didn't complain about that then and I wouldn't complain about it now.

Mh, I remember reading something about Microsoft either being unable or unwilling to provide multi-disk support for the Xbox One. And remember how MS engineers had to "find a solution" to give the console backwards compatibility for multi-disc Xbox 360 games?

Finally, the problem is not necessarily with space on the physical support - after all, nothing stops them from just releasing part of the game as a day one patch, and that was the case for FM7. It may be a problem with the amount of space a game featuring a larger carlist would take on the HDDs of the Xbox One, or it may even be a technical problem with loading a game weighting much over 100 GBs - let us not forget the tendency FM7 has to crash or load things improperly.

All in all, I'd assume that if there is a ~100 GB game size ceiling, there must a pretty good reason for it! The guys at PG are likely to be none too pleased about the cars they had to leave on the cutting room floor.

Seems that the Syclone is once again absent. It sucks but at least we have a whole lot of other cool new to horizon cars.

Who's betting on the day one car pack being "Bond" themed? Or do we have any other ideas?

It's very likely, and would certainly fit the pattern set forth by the Motorsport games of Day One car packs being themed after movies distributed by Universal Studios.

However, it's also entirely possible that we may get a Bond-themed expansion (or even a standalone spin-off to go with the reveal of the 25th Bond movie next year) instead, and the day one car pack may simply feature a choice of cool whips bro, which would be more consistent with the day one VIP Car Packs for FH2 and FH3.
And yes, I too have a feeling that they may walk down that path and throw in the 991.2 GT3 RS and 812 Superfast. Considering how late said cars were introduced to FM7, I wouldn't hold it against them if they found themselves unable to add them to the "on-disk roster" and decided to make them part of a preorder bonus (which one could argue, in any case, to be a freebie) instead.

I also hope that such a car pack would include some of the new-to-Forza cars that were leaked last month and didn't show up in the final car list. I mean, give me that Napier-Railton already, dammnit. :lol:

Day One Car Pack, is that you?

Képernyőfelvétel (63)_LI.jpg

Well there you have it. My guesses for the pack are;
  • 1974 AMC Hornet X “Bond Edition”
  • 2014 Aston Martin DB10 “Bond Edition”
  • 2008 Aston Martin DBS “Bond Edition”
  • 1987 Aston Martin V8 Vantage “Bond Edition”
  • 1964 Aston Martin DB5 “Bond Edition”
  • 1999 BMW Z8 “Bond Edition”
  • 1981 Citroen 2CV “Bond Edition”
  • 2013 Jaguar C-X75 Prototype “Bond Edition”
  • 1971 Jensen Interceptor “Bond Edition”
  • 1977 Lotus Esprit “Bond Edition”
Had to make up the last 5. I'd be satisfied with this pack, the DBS would be a little annoying since the regular model is right there in FM7 but I think it makes sense why it was cut now there's a Day One Bond pack likely imminent.

All in all, I'd assume that if there is a ~100 GB game size ceiling, there must a pretty good reason for it! The guys at PG are likely to be none too pleased about the cars they had to leave on the cutting room floor.

I doubt it's legit but I just found this web site (Hungarian again) talking about the game size. Apparently the PC version will weight 90+ GB same for the X-Box One X version. That's a lot. FH3 was 52 GB on PC? Like I said doubt it's legit.
flm4bc.png

I don't know why I posted this... it's just look so fake. :dunce:

Awesome download speed on that picture :D
I just started the updater but nothing happens here.
Maybe this guy have some kind of closed beta?

I doubt it's legit but I just found this web site (Hungarian again) talking about the game size. Apparently the PC version will weight 90+ GB same for the X-Box One X version. That's a lot. FH3 was 52 GB on PC? Like I said doubt it's legit.
flm4bc.png

Wow that will take more than 10 Hours to Download. I hope they let us preload a decent time before release

Even if it is fake, 90GB seems about what I was expecting so at least they kept that part realistic.

I hope they let us preload a decent time before release

I think XBL downloads it like a week prior to the release date so I'm guessing/hoping it's the same for PC. What's really scary is I will be downloading it twice. :scared:

Maybe this guy have some kind of closed beta?
There were leaked gameplay videos in the last few days. The videos were showing the Prologue part (you could see points to qualify for spring in those winter gameplay videos) so I presume somebody have the full game already.

flm4bc.png

An additional 2 GBs for the Ultimate Edition (which usually only unlocks on-disk content)? A pre-download for the two expansions, which we won't likely see before 2019? I don't doubt the game is going to weight ~90 GB (has it reserved on-disk space already, btw?), but this smells... Well, like Halászlé. :lol:

Thinking about it, the "Best of Bond" title for the pack also sounds... Off, for some reason. But I am far more inclined to believe that, seeing that the leaks have shown a sizeable number of "Bond Edition" cars in the game files.

Back