Forza Horizon 4: General Pre-Release News & Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,945 comments
Quick question: Are there headphones I can buy that plug into the XBox? I'd like to turn the volume on the TV down and use headphones so I can hear it without disturbing the others.

I have used just a standard set of ear buds I had laying around plugged into my controller and it worked fine (FH3). I'm sure a higher quality pair would work even better.

This is my controller and my headset. I can't hear the game through the headset, but I can hear other players when I'm online.

This is my controller and my headset. I can't hear the game through the headset, but I can hear other players when I'm online.
*pic*
The newer Controllers after the Xbox S was released and the Elite Controller include a 3.5 mm headphone jack, And I think it is possible to set it up to play the game sound through headphones plugged into the controller.

I believe your headset outputs voice only, so it's only made to hear and talk to other players (hence only having one earpiece). You'll need a stereo headset like this (it's what I have on PC, but it should work with Xbox).

EDIT: Just saw you have the OG Xbox One controller without the 3.5mm jack, right? You're going to have to buy the adapter then.

The newer Controllers after the Xbox S was released and the Elite Controller include a 3.5 mm headphone jack, And I think it is possible to set it up to play the game sound through headphones plugged into the controller.
I don't have the money for a new controller and headphones. I'll just have to make due for a few weeks. And so will everyone else.
Just saw you have the OG Xbox One controller without the 3.5mm jack, right?
You are correct.

I'll note, regular ear-headphones will sound terrible as they have absolutely no multi-directional sound. It'll get you by, but for me, it ruins the experience lol.

Although sometimes expensive, I bought myself a pair of gaming headphones specifically for situations like that @Populuxe Cowboy as my other half absolutely despises when I play games like Forza and Destiny. I'm an idiot so I bought myself a pair of $200 Astro A40, but I'm definitely a happy idiot.

Like mentioned, newer pads have the 3.5mm aux jack built into them, but there are some brands that offer an adapter of their own(much like the A40 I linked) to work, but they'll likely be the more expensive ones.

Unfortunately I don't believe there are any that plug into the Xbox directly, but this adapter is what you'll need in order to have a working headset with that controller.

EDIT: to get you buy, after seeing your recent post, I recommend buying the adapter and just using a pair of earbuds for the time being.

EDIT2: I just remembered that I never used earbuds with that adapter, on the older remotes. I've only used earbuds to plug directly into the newer pads. I really don't think it'll matter either way, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Okay, this looks very promising. Cheap and I should be able to find it at a Best Buy or Gamestop today. Thanks for all the help, everyone.
I don't know if you saw the same one I was linking, but for some reason it just links the whole page. This one in particular is the one I was talking about. As long as it has the 3.5mm jack, youre good to go.

Ok I don't get it. I have purchased the game months ago, it's installed but when I click on it, it tells me it may take a minute or two then goes on to inform me that I need to purchase the game even though in the MS store it shows it as installed with 'Play' underneath. Just gone midnight UK time. Is it not available until 6am or something??

I pre-ordered two hours too late to finish the entire download in time for the midnight launch in my time zone, but at the current rate it should be fully installed within an hour or so. :)

For now I hope it leaves a better impression than the demo build on Xbox One, so I don't constantly get reminded that I'm not playing on the lead platform. It's hard to justify buying a better console only for Forza just to have faster frames, slightly prettier foliage and shadows, etc. :nervous:

There is a new driver for NVIDIA cards to support proper performance in Horizon 4,
411.70 :)
I wished I'd listened to you... my game crashed my whole PC during the Autumn part of the intro sequence.

[EDIT] Hope the picture of the 2080ti they display when loading the driver means my last-year's-news 1070 will be upgraded to the same performance... if only...

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone's suggestions, I went to Best Buy, got a simple modern wired controller with a 3.5mm output jack and a cheap pair of slip-on ear bud headphones (regular ear buds just don't work for me. They've got to be the kind that hook around the ear to stay on.) Cost me $40 total. It works. I can hear the game and keep the TV volume down. And when I want to play online with friends, I can go back to my old controller and headset with mic.

Last edited:
The Forza Horizon 4: Hospital Soundtrack album will be coming out on Hospital Records on 26th October!

Link: https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/forza-horizon-4-hospital-soundtrack/1437008246

Metrik.jpg

This happened to me today, because of course this would be the weekend they ask. :banghead:

funny-office-space-memes-quotes-office-space-saturday-quote-office-space-saturday-quote.jpeg

Thankfully I talked them down to half a day (I could have just said no, but I need money more than I want to play this game), so I'll only miss out on about 6 hours over the weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll change their minds.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions, I went to Best Buy, got a simple modern wired controller with a 3.5mm output jack and a cheap pair of slip-on ear bud headphones (regular ear buds just don't work for me. They've got to be the kind that hook around the ear to stay on.) Cost me $40 total. It works. I can hear the game and keep the TV volume down. And when I want to play online with friends, I can go back to my old controller and headset with mic.
Cool thing about the ear bud option is if you have one with a mic in it, it works for voice chat as well.

I'm pleased to find that the full game feels and looks smoother than the demo, in my experience.

I'm confused by something though. The skill wheel didn't show up until I unlocked the Autoshow, and at that point my skill level was already level 4. Is it supposed to be this way? It's really confusing.

Another thing, does the game ever open up in the sense that I'm encouraged to make progress at my own convenience? The first two hours were all about guiding me onto to the next step - kinda like: do that, now do this, go there, here's something else to do, try this now... Come on, just give me a bunch of events to choose between and leave me to it. I know I can always roam around in between, but it's like the game never stops being a guide interrupting all the time. Does it?

I'm pleased to find that the full game feels and looks smoother than the demo, in my experience.

I'm confused by something though. The skill wheel didn't show up until I unlocked the Autoshow, and at that point my skill level was already level 4. Is it supposed to be this way? It's really confusing.

Another thing, does the game ever open up in the sense that I'm encouraged to make progress at my own convenience? The first two hours were all about guiding me onto to the next step - kinda like: do that, now do this, here's something else to do, try this now... Come on, just give me a bunch of events to choose between and leave me to it. I know that I can always roam around, but it's like the game never stops being a guide interrupting all the time.

Everything up until you join the Horizon "roster" is considered the prologue of the game, which is why it slowly introduces you to the different event types, and so on.

Once you join the roster, you join the live servers and the weekly seasons, and the game more fully opens up.

You bought a stereo headset too, good stuff. I don't care who's willing to you otherwise, surround sound "surround sound" headsets are a complete farce 100% of the time.
I’ve had plenty of stereo as well as“surround sound” headsets over the past decade but honestly they haven’t been any noticeably better than not in my opinion. Ive heard plenty of great things about the Astros for years, and I decided to splurge. Only problem is these get a bit heavy after long gaming sessions.

I’ve noticed Directional audio is good enough on most games anyways that I’m questioning the need for those.

Though I wasn't able to preorder a physical copy of the Ultimate Edition at Gamestop, I was able to buy the digital version tonight and cash in some reward coupons.

I got it for only $44.99 and it's now downloading overnight. The weekend can't get here fast enough!

I’ve had plenty of stereo as well as“surround sound” headsets over the past decade but honestly they haven’t been any noticeably better than not in my opinion. Ive heard plenty of great things about the Astros for years, and I decided to splurge. Only problem is these get a bit heavy after long gaming sessions.

I’ve noticed Directional audio is good enough on most games anyways that I’m questioning the need for those.

This is a little off-topic, but there were a dozen better, cheaper options you could have splurged on but that's neither here nor there. You're happy with them and that's all the matters. Surround sound headphones are just the stupidest thing that have ever been gimmicked. Psychoacoustics (yes, I'm a headphone nerd :lol: ) rule them out entirely because your brain fills in the gaps in terms of directional positioning, or imaging.

I can go on all day about this, but I legitimately dislike "true" surround sound headphones because you have multiple drivers that do not benefit you because the sound is being delivered to the same central location. I'm sorry, but it's like seeing a horribly modded car driving down the road and it's making the most obnoxious racket. You're just standing there thinking to yourself "What the 🤬 is that and why does it exist?"

Or you know, that one car made by a dentist or whatever that fool was. :lol:

Back