[Archive] Forza Horizon 5 Series 17: Japanese Automotive

• Thread starter Famine
  • 44 comments
Pictures are a bit mince right now because although PG has published the article now it hasn't actually put any screenshots in it yet, so the best I can do is screengrabs.

I'll replace them when they do.

About the second expansion: Considering how the first one was Hot Wheels, and how happy they were to advertise the heck out of the brand and all of its products, who else is sadly thinking the second expansion is gonna be Lego again?

About the second expansion: Lego again?
They wouldn't do that, wouldn't they?
As we got the "wacky" expansion first, this time, I really hope for the more grounded one as the second one....pleeeaaaase.

Perhaps DLC2 may turn up in PG's Spring Collection. If it's not just Vapors-ware then as soon as they name a date I'll be Waiting For The Weekend it arrives.

Last edited:
About the second expansion: Considering how the first one was Hot Wheels, and how happy they were to advertise the heck out of the brand and all of its products, who else is sadly thinking the second expansion is gonna be Lego again?
I don't think so. It's usually one whacky and one serious expansion. I'd take the Blizzard Mountain, since we are in Mexico. 😊

It was all a bit of a mess this week with the Forzathon Shop broken and the Series tile wrong for at least an hour:

1675357390786.png

I initially thought that the Treasure Hunt required five Near Miss Skills, but reflecting on it I also got a Daredevil Skill just as it said I'd completed the Clue - I did the Daredevil just before it completed, but it showed it just after. Thinking about it, a Daredevil requires enough speed for a Speed Skill plus the three Near Miss Skills, which fits the Clue better: "speed past the traffic".

Checking on some YTers they all got Daredevil Skills too, although most were getting five+ Near Misses too. One only got four and got the completion, and one got five without the Daredevil and didn't, so that seems to confirm a Daredevil Skill. But you'll probably score both at the same time anyway.

Edit: Just seen another who literally gets it after his third Near Miss and the Daredevil, but says it's for five Near Misses... :odd:

Treasure location:

1675357714289.png

Stone lantern location:
1675357801804.png

Last edited:
It was all a bit of a mess this week with the Forzathon Shop broken and the Series tile wrong for at least an hour:

View attachment 1227832

I initially thought that the Treasure Hunt required five Near Miss Skills, but reflecting on it I also got a Daredevil Skill just as it said I'd completed the Clue - I did the Daredevil just before it completed, but it showed it just after. Thinking about it, a Daredevil requires enough speed for a Speed Skill plus the three Near Miss Skills, which fits the Clue better: "speed past the traffic".

Checking on some YTers they all got Daredevil Skills too, although most were getting five+ Near Misses too. One only got four and got the completion, and one got five without the Daredevil and didn't, so that seems to confirm a Daredevil Skill. But you'll probably score both at the same time anyway.

Treasure location:

Stone lantern location:
It popped for me from 5 near misses.

It popped for me from 5 near misses.
I've just caught another YTer who says it's five Near Misses, but it literally pings for him after only his third - which triggers a Daredevil and the completion.

I've just caught another YTer who says it's five Near Misses, but it literally pings for him after only his third - which triggers a Daredevil and the completion.
Mine were 5 straight near misses. The cars were too far apart on the motorway for me to get the daredevil skill. Good to know it pops either way though.

Mine were 5 straight near misses. The cars were too far apart on the motorway for me to get the daredevil skill. Good to know it pops either way though.
Weird.

Another fun one: as I'd got an S2 Class Speed Zone-built R34 for the Weekly Challenge, I thought I'd use it for the "Speedy Speed Boy" Daily Challenge.

Wouldn't trigger it at all, even after a total reboot. Switched to a native-S2 car - the Zonda 🤢 FE - and it triggered no bother.

It doesn't say so in the description but it may require a native S2 car, not one tuned to S2.

Another fun one: as I'd got an S2 Class Speed Zone-built R34 for the Weekly Challenge, I thought I'd use it for the "Speedy Speed Boy" Daily Challenge.

Wouldn't trigger it at all, even after a total reboot. Switched to a native-S2 car - the Zonda 🤢 FE - and it triggered no bother.

It doesn't say so in the description but it may require a native S2 car, not one tuned to S2.
Did you do speed zones or speed traps as the daily challenge is for the latter? I used Jaguar XJR-15 tuned from S1 class to S2 class to achieve the "Speedy Speed Boy" daily challenge with no issues.

Did you do speed zones or speed traps as the daily challenge is for the latter? I used Jaguar XJR-15 tuned from S1 class to S2 class to achieve the "Speedy Speed Boy" daily challenge with no issues.
Traps for the Daily; Zones are for the weekly.

Buzzed through the Gran Puente trap half a dozen times at two-star speeds each time. After the reboot I did the Horizon Festival trap, again half a dozen times but at three-star speeds, still no dice. Switched to the Zonda and ran two passes of Horizon Festival and it pinged on the second one.

Bonus points for understanding the reference :D

If you can't find this week's Treasure Chest, hand in your eyes. The lanterns aren't super tricky either, but...

1675956731806.png

Isn't that from the lengthy Engrish marketing text that some of the MR2s had in Japan?

Off-topic from the game, but I never knew that factoid about the 22B's name. I always assumed it just stood for '2.2 Boxer', neat!

Last edited:
Off-topic from the game, but I never knew that factoid about the 22B's name. I always assumed it just stood for '2.2 Boxer', neat!

Closest thing I've ever seen to an official Subaru statement on it is that it's just '2.2 turbo' in internal Subaru codes. The whole thing about 555 being 0x22B in hex is a bit of a stretch - if they wanted to invoke the sponsor's name I'd expect they'd have just used it directly like with the various WRX STi 555 editions that were produced over the years.

The whole thing about 555 being 0x22B in hex is a bit of a stretch
There's a considerable difference between "22B is base-16 for the base-10 555" and "Subaru called the car 22B because 22B is base-16 for the base-10 555".

22B is base-16 for the base-10 555. That's all.

Isn't that from the lengthy Engrish marketing text that some of the MR2s had in Japan?
Once of several, yes :D Didn't think I'd get away with "A Man in Dandism" though.

Last edited:
Did I read correctly that the SW20 is a new-to-Forza model, as in one that was just created in 2022/2023? If so, eeesh; nice 2D tail lights.

Did I read correctly that the SW20 is a new-to-Forza model, as in one that was just created in 2022/2023? If so, eeesh; nice 2D tail lights.
Nope. It's new-to-FH5, not new-to-Forza; the Sports 800 and Nissan Z are new-to-Forza.
the new-to-FH5, second-generation Toyota MR2.

There's a considerable difference between "22B is base-16 for the base-10 555" and "Subaru called the car 22B because 22B is base-16 for the base-10 555".

22B is base-16 for the base-10 555. That's all.

Fair enough, I was mislead by the 'in case you're wondering about the name' phrasing in the article - I assumed it was implying wondering about why it was named that way rather than wondering if there were any weird coincidences about the name. My bad then.

I knew it was something bizarre like that, been a while since I saw the whole thing. Those certainly are… some words I guess.

Reminds me of the little plaque Suzuki put on their Works model Kei cars:

View attachment 1229566

Equally weird, but at least makes sense.
I keep expecting cars like these to come with a IMG_20230210_004805.jpg sticker as part of the livery.

Last edited:
How can I take part in a street race in the 1989 MR2 for the chapter 3? The only street races that are available on the map is the seasonal street race event. And that is limited to B700. The Mr2 is class C. Am I missing something?

How can I take part in a street race in the 1989 MR2 for the chapter 3? The only street races that are available on the map is the seasonal street race event. And that is limited to B700. The Mr2 is class C. Am I missing something?
There's... like... more than a dozen Street Racing Series events.

Have you completed the Horizon Street Scene Expedition to unlock them?

There's... like... more than a dozen Street Racing Series events.

Have you completed the Horizon Street Scene Expedition to unlock them?
Bit of a newbie to the FH games. Thanks for the tip. Pretty sure it is what you point out.

48DBB5E74109FD23338DB9D14EDD9EC8B9067270

0F589295BA6D9557B6DDB26F04BE958CE480B89A

F57228D1EC3A0F69F0A488D8B401B4236EED3755

When I filter on the map, I see a lot of race that allow met to earn accolades. So I better get moving.

Does the diffuculty setting of races implacts the earned accolade points?

Should I do specific races to unlock the Street scene?

I play the game on the steam deck. Really good experience.

Back