Forza Motorsport 3 Surpasses 2 Million Copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAMAROBOY69

Premium
United States
Michigan
CAMAROBOY69
Copied from Forzacentral.com. And well deserved. đź‘Ť I plan to pick up the DLC for the new tracks tonight.

“Forza Motorsport 3” Surpasses 2 Million Copies Worldwide, Waves the Checkered Flag on the New “Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit Track Pack”

After speeding past the finish line last October, “Forza Motorsport 3” is now in the hands of more than 2 million passionate car lovers around the world. To give fans even more reasons to keep behind the wheel with the game, Turn 10 today releases two brand new tracks in the downloadable “Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit Track Pack.” Having delivered month after month of new car packs since launch, composed of the world’s most unique and sought-after cars, this new track pack will give fans a fresh new locale to earn their racing stripes.

Available starting today on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 400 Microsoft Points, the “Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit Track Pack” has been meticulously re-created by the team at Turn 10 to reflect the legacy and excitement of the top German grand prix circuit. The track pack includes two layouts of the circuit; the full 3.22-mile circuit with the famous “Schumacher S” corners, and the short 2.24-mile sprint circuit, both of which push car and driver to the limit.

Demanding technical precision while offering tremendous opportunities for overtaking rival cars, the “Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit Track Pack” will show who has the determination and skills to grab the checkered flag. Built in 1984 and updated in 2002, the circuit has been a vital proving ground for some of today’s most elite racing events, including open-wheel, touring car, vintage, and even motorcycle racing throughout its 26-year history. For six seasons the Grand Prix Circuit has also played host to the 1000km Nürburgring endurance race. The circuit is also co-host to the German Grand Prix, an event that has proven pivotal to the success of many racing careers.

so, I've been really thinking about gettng a 360 and this game, My question is the stearing wheel, I've never used it, and in australia I rarly see it on the shelfs nor have held it, I've played the game at mates houses with the controller, and it just doesn't feel right. is like gt5p with a controller, you can play it, but does not provide the precision required.

hmmmmm thoughts?

so, I've been really thinking about gettng a 360 and this game, My question is the stearing wheel, I've never used it, and in australia I rarly see it on the shelfs nor have held it, I've played the game at mates houses with the controller, and it just doesn't feel right. is like gt5p with a controller, you can play it, but does not provide the precision required.

hmmmmm thoughts?
I love Forza 3 with the controller. You dont need a wheel to appreciate Forza 3. GT5P on the other hand is different. That game truly feels like it was designed around the wheel and can be tough with the controller.

I thought it's the "long" track actually where they drive 1000km race, could be wrong tho ( by long I mean Nordschleife + GP track ) ...
Has anybody downloaded it yet?

I downloaded the track(s) last night. Its the same one as PGR4. The first one is about 3 miles long and the 2nd one is the shorter version of that around 2 miles long. 400 ms is a bit steep but oh well. Its the first and only dlc I have bought for Forza 3 and I had a lot of fun on this track last night.

Does it integrate into the single player career or is it arcade and online only?

I think its for arcade and multiplayer only. I went in and set some drifting times last night then raced for a couple hours. My drift times put me in the top 50 on the leaderboards but by now I am probably in the thousands. lol
Not sure about the race times yet. I didnt check my leaderboard times with those.

Copied from Forzacentral.com. And well deserved. đź‘Ť I plan to pick up the DLC for the new tracks tonight.

“Forza Motorsport 3” Surpasses 2 Million Copies Worldwide, Waves the Checkered Flag on the New “Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit Track Pack”

After speeding past the finish line last October, “Forza Motorsport 3” is now in the hands of more than 2 million passionate car lovers around the world. To give fans even more reasons to keep behind the wheel with the game, Turn 10 today releases two brand new tracks in the downloadable “Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit Track Pack.” Having delivered month after month of new car packs since launch, composed of the world’s most unique and sought-after cars, this new track pack will give fans a fresh new locale to earn their racing stripes.

Available starting today on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 400 Microsoft Points, the “Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit Track Pack” has been meticulously re-created by the team at Turn 10 to reflect the legacy and excitement of the top German grand prix circuit. The track pack includes two layouts of the circuit; the full 3.22-mile circuit with the famous “Schumacher S” corners, and the short 2.24-mile sprint circuit, both of which push car and driver to the limit.

Demanding technical precision while offering tremendous opportunities for overtaking rival cars, the “Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit Track Pack” will show who has the determination and skills to grab the checkered flag. Built in 1984 and updated in 2002, the circuit has been a vital proving ground for some of today’s most elite racing events, including open-wheel, touring car, vintage, and even motorcycle racing throughout its 26-year history. For six seasons the Grand Prix Circuit has also played host to the 1000km Nürburgring endurance race. The circuit is also co-host to the German Grand Prix, an event that has proven pivotal to the success of many racing careers.

Big deal. A GT wannabee on a system that's universally known for breaking down. Forza has, and always will, never be good enough to lick the dog pee from GTs wheels.

Wow get offensive much. lol I am looking forward to GT5 as much as everyone else but at least Forza is playable. GT5 has been in development for what 6 years and still doesn not have engine swaps, drive train swaps, and auction house, store front, tire marks, or even a vinyl system??? Seriously 6-7 years and still doesnt have any of those features. :sly:

I'll be honest. When I saw Forza 3, i was initially impressed, and almost got a 360 for this game alone. Two things stopped me. The first was the well-known unrelialbility of the XBOX 360. The second was seeing GT5 in action. There is no comparison. And seeing all the recent stuff about GT5? Forza 3 should be very, very scared. And 360 owners should be getting ready to trade their piece of junk for a quality system.

Forza 3 has nothing to worry about. lol I will say it again.

Does GT5 have an auction house, storefront, videos to share with others, pics to share with others, tire marks, engine swaps, drive train swaps, tire deformation, rewind system, custom paint jobs, does the tire wear show more than just a big red or green square per tire? Forza 3 actually shows the exact location of tire wear, GT5 does not. I could go on and on and on. Forza 3 has nothing to worry about. đź‘Ť

Plus you have no credibilty for either game. You never played Forza 3 and GT5 is not out. Not even worth discussing with you.

Wow get offensive much. lol I am looking forward to GT5 as much as everyone else but at least Forza is playable. GT5 has been in development for what 6 years and still doesn not have engine swaps, drive train swaps, and auction house, store front, tire marks, or even a vinyl system??? Seriously 6-7 years and still doesnt have any of those features. :sly:

Sorry didn't mean to offend. But the GT series has it where it counts: quality visuals, realistic physics, interesting tracks, and even the guys on Top Gear like it. It's not finished yet, so we don't know what Polyphony have got in store for us, but good things come to those who wait.

ps. vinyl?! who the hell wants that?

Does GT5 have an auction house, storefront, videos to share with others, pics to share with others, tire marks, engine swaps, drive train swaps, tire deformation, rewind system, custom paint jobs, does the tire wear show more than just a big red or green square per tire? Forza 3 actually shows the exact location of tire wear, GT5 does not. I could go on and on and on. Forza 3 has nothing to worry about. đź‘Ť

Plus you have no credibilty for either game. You never played Forza 3 and GT5 is not out. Not even worth discussing with you.

Forget about my comments about either game. Iv had my PS3 since the day of release and had no problems with it at all. How many 360s have you went through? I'll say again: the shoebox(sorry Xbox) 360 is badly put together.

Yes I will agree the 360 is a POS there is no doubt about that. Everyone in the world knows that and thats a different topic. Bashing a game you never played because the console is not reliable is just plain ignorant and does not help you establish any credibility at all about your opinion of a game. Its just trolling. Even you know that.

Big deal. A GT wannabee on a system that's universally known for breaking down. Forza has, and always will, never be good enough to lick the dog pee from GTs wheels.

Obvious troll is obvious.

However, 2 million copies of a "killer-app" in... what... 4 months on sale, with a potential userbase of nearly 40 million - and a quarter of those in week 1?

It's not really a stellar performance - in fact it's only just over half what its predecessor managed so far.

Exactly. Obvious troll is obvious. I will leave it at that. Still not bad for a game that was only in production for 2 years.

Still pretty good figures though. If we got that, it's a safe bet I'd wake up from the dream pretty soon. :(

Besides the troll issue, I don't understand why people care about how much a certain game sells. It's beyond my understanding.

Besides the troll issue, I don't understand why people care about how much a certain game sells. It's beyond my understanding.

To some, it's the equivalent of how popular something is.

More sales = better product.

At least in theory.

To some, it's the equivalent of how popular something is.

To everyone. That's pretty much what sales figures are! Though I prefer, in these instances, market penetration - FM3 is at about 5.6%, which is to say that of all XBox360s sold, the equivalent of 5.6% have FM3.

More sales = better product.

At least in theory.

Hopefully that doesn't work for anyone. Take "Flower" for instance - one of the best games I've ever played. I don't think that even has sales figures :lol:

Does GT5 have an auction house, storefront, videos to share with others, pics to share with others, tire marks, engine swaps, drive train swaps, tire deformation, rewind system, custom paint jobs, does the tire wear show more than just a big red or green square per tire? Forza 3 actually shows the exact location of tire wear, GT5 does not. I could go on and on and on.

We don't know what GT5 has or hasn't got, they only just showed us a tiny taste of night driving so saying GT5 doesn't have something like a fact doesn't make sense.

I know Golfman came out of no where randomly bashing FM3, but you're right in that none of us have played both GT5 and FM3 so it's pointless arguing which is better (or has more features).

Yeah but we got a new argument. It broke too.

Does GT5 have an auction house, storefront, videos to share with others, pics to share with others, tire marks, engine swaps, drive train swaps, tire deformation, rewind system, custom paint jobs, does the tire wear show more than just a big red or green square per tire? Forza 3 actually shows the exact location of tire wear, GT5 does not. I could go on and on and on. Forza 3 has nothing to worry about. :tup
^I....

^Ronic....

However, 2 million copies of a "killer-app" in... what... 4 months on sale, with a potential userbase of nearly 40 million - and a quarter of those in week 1?

It's not really a stellar performance - in fact it's only just over half what its predecessor managed so far.

Obvious troll is indeed obvious. ;) (Meant in jest)

2 Million is quite good in terms of some first party titles, it's not GT figures, but it's still considered 'good'..

In fact it's on par with Killzone 2 for the PS3, which isn't deemed underperforming either..
http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Killzone+2+-+PS3[12253]&reg2=All&game2=&reg3=All&game3=Forza+Motorsport+3+-+X360[30434]&weeks=100

It's far exceeded FM2 sales on a like for like time basis.. (i.e first 16 weeks of sales)
http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Forza+Motorsport+2+-+X360[6076]&reg2=All&game2=&reg3=All&game3=Forza+Motorsport+3+-+X360[30434]&weeks=16

But we all know GT5 will sell a magnitude more, it's always appealed to arcade racers as well as sim racers alike, the customer base is vast.. Something T10 seem to have been trying to redress this time around..

Interestingly FM3 sells very well in the UK, we seem to be a nation of wannabe car racers.. :)

Last edited:
2 Million is quite good in terms of some first party titles, it's not GT figures, but it's still considered 'good'...

Which is why I'm not really a fan of pure numbers - they don't really tell the whole picture...

It's far exceeded FM2 sales on a like for like time basis.. (i.e first 16 weeks of sales)
http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?re...me3=Forza+Motorsport+3+-+X360[30434]&weeks=16

Yeah, oddly, FM2 got *a second wind between weeks 21 and 34 - even exceeding its own first-3-week sales in a single week (31).

But even so, look at the penetration. The XBox360 has sold, what, 38.5m consoles and FM3 has sold 2.3m copies - that's a market penetration of 5.9%. Compare to some other first party games :

XBox360/FM3 - 2.28m - 5.9%
PS3/LBP - 3.12m - 9.5%
XBox360/FM2 - 3.97m - 10.3%
PS3/Motorstorm - 3.51m - 10.7%
PS3/GT5P - 3.61m - 11.0%
PS3/RFoM - 3.67m - 11.2%
PS3/MGS4 - 4.59m - 14.0%
XBox360/Gears of War 2 - 5.61m - 14.6%
XBox360/Gears of War - 6.03m - 15.7%
XBox360/Halo 3 - 10.87m - 28.2%
Wii/Mario Kart - 21.46m - 31.3%
Wii/Wii Sports - 60.60m - 88.3%

(those last two are kinda scary, and I've left off a few Nintendo titles inbetween them)

Now, don't get me wrong, 6% market penetration in just over a quarter is okay. But for a game that is supposed to be a "killer app" to have ninety-four percent of all potential owners not bothering with it despite 4 months' opportunity? GT5P isn't a "killer app", but runs 11% penetration (though it's a budget title). Resistance and MGS haven't got within forty paces of either of my PS3s, and apparently I'm not alone, but have considerably better penetration than that!

Compare to something like MW2 - 25% penetration on the 360, 22% on the PS3, and it sold nearly five million in the first week on the 360 alone! To put that in context, more than twice as many potential owners chose to shell out for an 18-rated shooter with an "offensive" level in one week than opted to get the console's top-tier driving sim in total.

So... compared to other first party titles on the console... 2m is alright. 2m in 4 months is not bad. 2m on 38m consoles is... distinctly average, though in just 4 months it's pretty good.

But we all know GT5 will sell a magnitude more

It's possible, but not really relevant to FM3's sales - I can't imagine many 360 owners decided not to buy FM3 because GT5 would be out 12 months later for a different console...

* http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=&reg2=All&game2=Forza+Motorsport+2+-+X360[6076]&reg3=All&game3=Forza+Motorsport+3+-+X360[30434]&weeks=52&weekly=1

But it isn't a 'killer app' is it? it's just a successor to FM2 which wasn't a killer app either?

Obviously GT is a killer app for Sony, it's had massive sales in the past, it's arcade element and general scale has vast mass appeal, It's been in development for a huge amount of time, Sony say it's expected to shift a lot of consoles, FM has never been touted remotely as a console seller/killer app by anyone.

In terms of a normal first party game, which is all it is, it's doing 'fine'.. I can't see why you want to dwell on it and make it out as if it's somehow 'under-performing' ??

As I said, it's sold more the Killzone 2, a large first party title for the PS3, and the userbases for both are largely similar. It's all very well using the software starved PS3 era to get your high attach rates, but they have to be put in to context, it's better to use figures from comparable environments.

Not sure why you want to twist things to put FM3 in such a bad light, some might say that's showing a little too much bias, but that's the world we live in.

But it isn't a 'killer app' is it? it's just a successor to FM2 which wasn't a killer app either?

It's the premier driving game for the platform. Sales back that up.

Obviously GT is a killer app for Sony, it's had massive sales in the past, it's arcade element and general scale has vast mass appeal, It's been in development for a huge amount of time, Sony say it's expected to shift a lot of consoles, FM has never been touted remotely as a console seller/killer app by anyone.

The same can be said for FM3. Just browse this site to see people who bought a 360 just for FM3 - primarily because they were sick of waiting for GT5.

In terms of a normal first party game, which is all it is, it's doing 'fine'.. I can't see why you want to dwell on it and make it out as if it's somehow 'failing' ??

Famine
So... compared to other first party titles on the console... 2m is alright. 2m in 4 months is not bad. 2m on 38m consoles is... distinctly average, though in just 4 months it's pretty good.

Not seeing the "make it out as if it's somehow 'failing'" in there.

As I said, it's sold more the Killzone 2, a large first party title for the PS3, and the userbases for both are largely similar. It's all very well using the software starved PS3 era to get your high attach rates, but they have to be put in to context, it's better to use figures from comparable environments.

I'm not sure why KZ2 is comparable to FM3, nor why the assumption they'd have similar userbases. I'd play FM3, but not KZ2.

Not sure why you want to twist things to put FM3 in such a bad light, some might say that's showing a little too much bias, but that's the world we live in.

Where's the twisting? Where's the bad light?

Some might not notice I have an XBox360 as well, but assumption is the mother of all 🤬 ups.

It's the premier driving game for the platform. Sales back that up.
Which is not the definition of a killer app though, I see where your confusion stems from. For it to be a killer app, it had to be a massive hardware mover, it was never designed to be, never marketed as, and didn't move many consoles, if you look at hardware sales, it didn't so much as blip... GT5, in contrast is a killer app, it's expected to, marketed too and we all know it will shift a mass of consoles (I'm included in that)..

The same can be said for FM3. Just browse this site to see people who bought a 360 just for FM3 - primarily because they were sick of waiting for GT5.
Again, this has no bearing on it being a killer app.. the fact it did shift a few consoles to these people was just a bonus.

Not seeing the "make it out as if it's somehow 'failing'" in there.
Apologies, 'failing' is incorrect, you are simply unfairly downplaying it's sales and trying to say it is not performing well for a killer app. But considering you have inadvertantly misunderstood the meaning of a killer app is not surprising.

I'm not sure why KZ2 is comparable to FM3, nor why the assumption they'd have similar userbases. I'd play FM3, but not KZ2.
User base = number of PS3 owners, the same benchmark your figures used..?

Where's the twisting? Where's the bad light?
Just the fact you are incorrectly (possibly on purpose) claiming FM3 is a killer app, and then trying to do your best to indicate that it isn't selling very well, especially highlighting that it's only sold half it's predecessors LTD, despite knowing that on a like for like time basis, it's vastly outperforming FM2 at the moment..The fact is, taken out of context as a killer app (which it categorically isn't), It's selling pretty well for a 1st party title, not only based on it's predecessor, but to NFS:Shift and other driving games on the platform.

Some might not notice I have an XBox360 as well, but assumption is the mother of all 🤬 ups.
And? does owning a console mean your bias against an individual game is automatically banished?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back