Forza Motorsport 4 Coming to Xbox One via Backwards Compatibility?

I know. Point 3 was a statement, not criticism.

My apologies then. S'what I get for reading so many Facebook comments.

This has nothing to do with what's in it, but the page on mobile doesn't zoom properly and constantly flashes between different levels of zoom. Only fix for me is to request the desktop site.

Odd. @Jordan?

I doubt they'll be able to sell it or any dlc again, they've already delisted Forza games released this gen.

It will be nice to have another big 360 game on the xb1 though, you can find disc copies cheap I'm sure. I bought most of the dlc back then too.

Oh shoot! I just asked if the Mazdaspeed Familia is in FH4(as I don't have that game). This is awesome news.

Very exciting, hailed as possibly the best (at least for it's time) FM game, it's the only one I haven't played that I really want to play.

Seeing as cars from the earlier games are making their way into Forza Horizon 4, perhaps Turn 10 are renewing all the licenses necessary to relist Forza Motorsport 4 on the Xbox Store - or better yet, make it free via Games with Gold! :drool:

So. Much. Yes. 👍
As far as I can tell, no 360 games can be bought online, they all require a code or 360 disc.

As far as I can tell, no 360 games can be bought online, they all require a code or 360 disc.

Yes, they can. I have bought both Splinter Cell Blacklist and both GRID games released onto backwards compatibility without needing discs. Fight Night Champion too, now that I think about it. There are some games which *only* can be played via disc - Driver San Francisco and Pure being the most notable examples to us - but for the most part, 90% of games made backwards compatible can be bought digitally on Xbox Live right now.

Yes, they can. I have bought both Splinter Cell Blacklist and both GRID games released onto backwards compatibility without needing discs. There are some games which *only* can be played via disc - Driver San Francisco and Pure being the most notable examples to us - but for the most part, 90% of games made backwards compatible can be bought digitally on Xbox Live right now.
Well then I found all 10% that don't :D

Is it possible they took them down after you got them?
I think I just saw Grid tonight with no price. (it may depend on region too)

Well then I found all 10% that don't :D

Is it possible they took them down after you got them?
I think I just saw Grid tonight with no price. (it may depend on region too)

I checked all four games I mentioned. They are all still available to be bought digitally, without needing the disc.

i'd recommend using this list to keep track of games, and anything else that might be notable about them.

Edit: I will also say this: pretty much every NFS title that is on Xbox 360 going back to Carbon still has their DLC listed. Both GRID titles have all of their DLC's still listed. Don't take it as word that the DLC's for FM4 might come back - but something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I checked all four games I mentioned. They are all still available to be bought digitally, without needing the disc.

i'd recommend using this list to keep track of games, and anything else that might be notable about them.

Edit: I will also say this: pretty much every NFS title that is on Xbox 360 going back to Carbon still has their DLC listed. Both GRID titles have all of their DLC's still listed. Don't take it as word that the DLC's for FM4 might come back - but something to keep in mind.
That's a helpful list, but I don't see any indicator of what requires a disc or not.

I know a Burnout game, Midnight club, and FH1 all require a disc. (It says online that it's restricted in my region)

FH1 has no DLC available for what that's worth, I wouldn't hold my breath but will cross fingers.

I don't get this? As much as I'm excited to hear this news, how can T10 do this if they have yet to obtain the licenses for both Toyota and Lexus?...

Depends on how the contracts for the licencing were worded. I know they typically expire after 4-5 years now, but with FM4 being a previous gen game, that caveat might not be in there. I assume this is how the original Forza Horizon got into BC, but Horizon 2 had to be de-listed from digital sale.

Licenses are done on a per-game basis, so not having the Toyota/Lexus licenses for any newer games wouldn't matter.

If this is true, I wonder if it's an olive branch to appease people still sore about the absence of Toyota (and maybe suggesting a deal with them is not on the horizon, no pun intended).

Depends on how the contracts for the licencing were worded. I know they typically expire after 4-5 years now, but with FM4 being a previous gen game, that caveat might not be in there. I assume this is how the original Forza Horizon got into BC, but Horizon 2 had to be de-listed from digital sale.

Licenses are done on a per-game basis, so not having the Toyota/Lexus licenses for any newer games wouldn't matter.

If this is true, I wonder if it's an olive branch to appease people still sore about the absence of Toyota (and maybe suggesting a deal with them is not on the horizon, no pun intended).
I could be wrong, but I think the legal ground they might have is to rely on discs if all else fails.

Even if they can't legally sell an old game due to licensing, they can make a new system play an old disc.

FH2 being unable to digitally purchase seems a bit odd, that's new to me, that they would simply stop digital sales on games from the same console generation.

It's gonna work like Forza Horizon, which means I'm not interested (we get just BC and it's not in the Xbox Store).

It'll surely get the 4K treatment, though. Then we'll be able to compare graphics and whatnot. Perhaps put to rest any claims of franchise downgrade in later titles. Also an alternative to boost tier points without needing an X360.

Why now? FM4 is much more loved than FH1, yet the latter was made compatible first. Joining BC is more of a gift from Microsoft to Xbox 360 owners who migrated to the One than a legit addition to the roster. You can't transfer anything from FM4 to FM5 and later, and competitive play seems all but dead. Car roster is outdated, even taking the classics into account, though there are race cars from the late 2000s in FM4 that Forza Motorsport lost when it moved to the Xbox One.

The fact it's gonna prompt comparisons between the later Forza games and itself means it could create some division among the community and I wonder whether Microsoft wanted to avoid that by having FH1 join the BC service first.

You can't transfer anything from FM4 to FM5
Different console generations, probably a different engine, very different car lists... It's not that they couldn't do it - LittleBigPlanet 3 allowed content you unlocked in past games on the PS3 to be transferred to PS4 - but therr, would be no reason to: Most cars in FM4 weren't in FM5, let alone 6 or 7.
competitive play seems all but dead
It's a game from 2011.
Car roster is outdated
It's a game from 2011.
The fact it's gonna prompt comparisons between the later Forza games and itself means it could create some division among the community and I wonder whether Microsoft wanted to avoid that by having FH1 join the BC service first.
Of course it's going to start comparisons, but division in the community? Probably not.

@Jordan It might be a problem with certain phones. Resizing the image at the top could solve it.

It's gonna work like Forza Horizon, which means I'm not interested (we get just BC and it's not in the Xbox Store).

Forza Horizon was a Games with Gold title when became Backwards Compatible, so anyone with a Gold subscription could download it for free.

Why now? FM4 is much more loved than FH1, yet the latter was made compatible first.

Timing. When Forza Horizon joined the Backwards Compatibility roster, Forza Horizon 3 was set to release the following month. Alongside the FH3 demo, playing the original Horizon game gave players the opportunity to experience FH at no cost.

If FM4 is made to be backwards compatible, it could serve a different purpose as we are unlikely to see a new Motorsport title this year. With more time to work on a sequel, perhaps Turn 10 has set up a sub-team to develop a 4K patch for FM4.

Also worth noting that the FH1 online community was thriving when it was on Games with Gold.

@Jordan Just to document what that issue is with this article:
Screenshot_20190224-093238.png
Screenshot_20190224-093242.png

This will not happen in landscape mode. Android, ZTE Zmax Pro.

With regards to the actual article:
I honestly can't wait to get back on FM4.

@Jordan Just to document what that issue is with this article:
Thanks... the plot thickens.

@CVPI93 said he was no longer having this problem as of this morning (it fixed itself), and it still appears normally for me on all my test devices and emulators.

How do we petition to Microsoft to bring back every DLC for Motorsport 4 (and the first Horizon) by renewing the licenses, given if the first Horizon is backwards compatible, and with Motorsport 4 rumored for such?

Yes, they can. I have bought both Splinter Cell Blacklist and both GRID games released onto backwards compatibility without needing discs. Fight Night Champion too, now that I think about it. There are some games which *only* can be played via disc - Driver San Francisco and Pure being the most notable examples to us - but for the most part, 90% of games made backwards compatible can be bought digitally on Xbox Live right now.

I remember trying to buy the DLC of the original Forza Horizon before its DLC was de-listed from the store and still required to buy it on my 360 and yet my 360 is console-banned from Xbox Live due to it being modded.

Last edited:
How do we petition to Microsoft to bring back every DLC for Motorsport 4 (and the first Horizon) by renewing the licenses, given if the first Horizon is backwards compatible, and with Motorsport 4 rumored for such?
It's not Microsoft we need to petition. If this rumor is true, then I'm sure they have a cubic ton of lawyers working to get all the licenses renewed. But it's ultimately up to the manufacturer if the licenses get renewed or not. If a manufacturer says no, that's it. It's their product, they have final say.

I thought licensing only comes into play if they decide to re-sell it? Since it's already off the marketplace, licensing has no play here. I doubt they are going to put it back up for sale. Major Nelson will just tweet "new BC titles" today and "Forza 4 is X-enhanced", then perhaps Digital Foundry will do a video. It's another bullet point for MS's list of X-enhanced games.

Regardless, it's very welcome for owners. I believe you need to move the whole save file onto the cloud though (if you want to keep your progress). I remember doing that for Forza Horizon 1. You couldn't copy it over like other games.

Still the best physics in a motorsport title, the later games have really gone crazy with low grip and sliding to appeal to the drifting kids, Forza 4 had good grip once you warm up your tires and cars actually felt different from each other. Unlike Forza 7 where the Mercedes truck feels exactly the same as a BMW Isetta.

Still the best physics in a motorsport title, the later games have really gone crazy with low grip and sliding to appeal to the drifting kids, Forza 4 had good grip once you warm up your tires and cars actually felt different from each other. Unlike Forza 7 where the Mercedes truck feels exactly the same as a BMW Isetta.
No it does not. Lol let's not exaggerate

That's the same guy who claimed FM7 looked like a "2006 game" when in fact it didn't, and that anything you told him went out the other ear... Sacrifices had to be made and yet he still didn't understood, even three days after his last posts.

His last posts were laughable as heck, so anything he says is to be ignored.

Now, while I can understand why developers can't re-release racing games so easily due to licensing. What I really don't understand is why Microsoft can't have it to where I can play the disc I bought years ago on Xbox live. I don't even want to buy it again, I just want to play my disc on newer hardware.

I play Forza 4 and 7 back to back, the latter is borderline undriveable.
Project CARS 2 is borderline undrivable (on a pad at least), I’ve been playing Forza 2, 4 and 7 quite a bit recently and the physics hasn’t really changed a whole lot. Sure the grip levels might be lower in FM7 (especially in race cars) but in general I personally find the physics to be about the same.

For me Forza 4 has the most enjoyable physics. I really enjoyed playing it, I remember playing F3 thinking although it was quite accomplished there was no feeling of fun yet as soon as I played the F4 demo I was sold, bought it day one.

Last edited:
Forza Horizon was a Games with Gold title when became Backwards Compatible, so anyone with a Gold subscription could download it for free.

Timing. When Forza Horizon joined the Backwards Compatibility roster, Forza Horizon 3 was set to release the following month. Alongside the FH3 demo, playing the original Horizon game gave players the opportunity to experience FH at no cost.

If FM4 is made to be backwards compatible, it could serve a different purpose as we are unlikely to see a new Motorsport title this year. With more time to work on a sequel, perhaps Turn 10 has set up a sub-team to develop a 4K patch for FM4.

Also worth noting that the FH1 online community was thriving when it was on Games with Gold.

Indeed it was, unfortunately I missed it.

Some of these patches aren't made by the team that made the game. I'm not sure if Coalition made the Gears patches, for example, as the original games were developed by Epic for Microsoft. They did make Gears of War Ultimate but that was a full port to their new engine on the Xbox One.

Latest Posts

Back