Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Where dreams are Realised

• Thread starter phillgt2002
  • 1,397 comments
Interested to see how people find driving the P1 around Laguna Seca on simulation steering, no ABS, TCS and STM with a pad.

From what I have seen on YouTube so far, it drives as bad as the build I tried. Quite disappointing, maybe they will do it from the ground up properly for next game as it is quite tight schedule to rework fundamentals of the physics of the game.

I think it's more of a pad issue. The first level of travel on the trigger is really quick, which is exactly where you'd ideally have better sensitivity to modulate throttle. The thumb pad on the analogue is not very nice, either. They should have upgraded the d-pad of the 360 controller and the innards and left the ergonomics exactly as they were.

Interested to see how people find driving the P1 around Laguna Seca on simulation steering, no ABS, TCS and STM with a pad.

From what I have seen on YouTube so far, it drives as bad as the build I tried. Quite disappointing, maybe they will do it from the ground up properly for next game as it is quite tight schedule to rework fundamentals of the physics of the game.
You must be a lone case. The physics have been one of the highest praised points of this game.

I've been wondering if the trigger sensitivity thing is something brought about because of the rumble in the triggers. A scaled sensitivity level is a really odd thing to put in long throw buttons, and I'm not sure why they would do it on purpose.

You must be a lone case. The physics have been one of the highest praised points of this game.

The quick reason; it has the wrong name on the game disc.

So instead of forming a new thread, I thought I'd ask in here about engine swaps; what are the details? I'm reading different things from around the net; that the unique, inter-manufacturer ones have been dropped for a set of "global" swaps, or that both approaches now exist, depending on your car. Anybody want to shed more light on the issue?

It'd be really neat if they allowed downgrades for swaps. There are too many Lotus engines to ignore some fun in the F1 car...

Based on what I've seen you get some various displacements depending on the car you're using. It seems like the 5.7L V8 though is a pretty common engine, meaning you can essentially swap a Chevy 350 into damn near everything.

Stuff like this makes me angry.

I don't see why.

It's an interesting approach to the problem of making people feel more attached to a car. Which is part of the pleasure of ownership in real life. It might not be the best car, but it's *yours*.

I'm not sure that it's entirely the right way to go about it. In the past they've tended to encourage stuff like this with carrots (affinity and the like), but this feels a bit like a stick. Gamers are generally pretty good at spotting sticks and avoiding them. Unless they're Korean, in which case you stock up on caffeine and power through. ;)

Still, T10 are trying. How do you get someone to form an emotional attachment with an digital object? It's happened to me a few times (FF7, RDR, a few others) but it's pretty rare and special. If they can make me feel even half the attachment to a car in FM5 that I feel to my real MX5, I'd call that pretty good.

Because it's not the true reason. The true reason is that they want you to buy tokens with real money and sell you the car after they have sold you the game and possibly the dlc. I earn about 100k Credits a day and I can't afford to buy the cars I bought with the car pass, which I foolishly bought, because I am saving for the lotus, which I might be able to buy in 2 months!

I don't see why.

It's an interesting approach to the problem of making people feel more attached to a car. Which is part of the pleasure of ownership in real life. It might not be the best car, but it's *yours*.

I'm not sure that it's entirely the right way to go about it. In the past they've tended to encourage stuff like this with carrots (affinity and the like), but this feels a bit like a stick. Gamers are generally pretty good at spotting sticks and avoiding them. Unless they're Korean, in which case you stock up on caffeine and power through. ;)

Still, T10 are trying. How do you get someone to form an emotional attachment with an digital object? It's happened to me a few times (FF7, RDR, a few others) but it's pretty rare and special. If they can make me feel even half the attachment to a car in FM5 that I feel to my real MX5, I'd call that pretty good.

The only emotional connection I can think of is grinding for one of the more expensive cars. And really, thats not a very good reason at all.

Anyways, hope they don't patch this

As a result, for the tracks in Forza 5, we started from scratch. That meant going back to the beginning and capturing them in a way that would correct inaccuracies from the previous generation, updating tracks where warranted (such as the new layout for Silverstone), and using state-of-the-art techniques to bring these tracks to Xbox One.

Funny then that one of the tracks they removed was completely fictional.
The argument about wanting players to feel connected to the cars is also somewhat ridiculous; they want people's money. It's that simple. They've made a mistake with the pricing and instead of adapting to it they've decided to make up excuses for it. I'm getting real tired of Turn10's bull now and I'm so glad I decided not to buy this game!

Last edited:
It's marketing, they're saying that stuff because some market department told them what to say. Obviously it seems rather stupid and the answers make no sense but when does marketing ever make sense if you actually think about it?

They were fairly up front with the end users they were going to get significantly less content and the game was obviously rushed to be a launch title. While I'm bummed there's less content I understand why it's like that and I went into the game knowing what I was getting.

They did make people aware of it, but what they didn't make people aware of was the ridiculous costs of the high end cars that require players to either give up their lives to get or pay ridiculous amounts of real cash to buy:

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Forza-5s-monetisation-is-a-monumental-rip-off

Case in point: the Lotus E21 formula one car, one of Forza 5’s new star attractions keenly publicised by Microsoft as this is the first game in the series to feature open wheel racecars. What they failed to mention was the astronomical price of admission. In-game, it costs a whopping 6 million credits. Alternatively, at the time of writing you can buy it for 10,000 tokens – in real world cash, this equates to over £60.00. £60.00 for one digital racecar? That's more expensive than the actual game. No. Just no.

The average player, then, won’t ever be able to experience the pleasure of driving this car unless they’re prepared to grind through around 60 hours-worth of laborious racing. And that’s before you take into account sifting through menus, tuning the car and practicing to stay competitive. In practice, you could be spending over 100 hours just to drive one car. Yes, there still needs to be a sense of progression and car rarity, but this is unfeasible.

I'd loved to have sat in the meeting where they decided that was a good idea.

You don't have to give up your life though, I haven't played much since Friday and I'm already closing in on a million credits. It's going to take time to buy the high end cars, it was the same way in GT5 too and probably will be the same in GT6.

I do think it's stupid they didn't allow all cars in free play mode but there's several work arounds for that. Just last night I had the Lotus F1 in free play.

They did make people aware of it, but what they didn't make people aware of was the ridiculous costs of the high end cars that require players to either give up their lives to get or pay ridiculous amounts of real cash to buy:

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Forza-5s-monetisation-is-a-monumental-rip-off

I'd loved to have sat in the meeting where they decided that was a good idea.
Give up their lives? Really? I've played a few hours a night for 4 nights since the game has been released. I've got a decent, fun little garage and I'm a quarter of the way to having enough credits to buy the most expensive car in game. Such ridiculous statements make you look foolish.

You don't have to give up your life though, I haven't played much since Friday and I'm already closing in on a million credits. It's going to take time to buy the high end cars, it was the same way in GT5 too and probably will be the same in GT6.

I do think it's stupid they didn't allow all cars in free play mode but there's several work arounds for that. Just last night I had the Lotus F1 in free play.

I've not got the game so I don't know how many credits you can earn per hour but the figures on the Forza forums suggest that 1,000,000 cr. every 8 hours is what the average player will get. So for someone like me who doesn't get much time to play games due to work and other commitments this means that I'd have to play the game for 2 hours every evening for almost an entire month just to get a single vehicle. Not to unlock it for online play (although I guess it would, not sure on this) but just to experience driving it.

I could understand not unlocking certain parts without playing for a long time (RPGs do this with rare weapons etc.) but this current system means that the high end cars for the casual player (without taking into account the glitch as this, I imagine, will be patched out soon) are basically unplayable. Considering how many cars they removed from the game in the first place this is just not acceptable to me. Why should I be stopped from racing in certain cars just because I work long hours? It should be locked in Career, unlocked in Arcade just as it was in Forza 4.

Give up their lives? Really? I've played a couple of hours a night for 4 nights since the game has been released. I've got a decent, fun little garage and I'm a quarter of the way to having enough credits to buy the most expensive car in game. Such ridiculous statements make you look foolish.

Based on what I've seen with regards to credits per hour it's not a ridiculous statement at all; I get roughly 2 hours free time each evening if I want to get to sleep at a decent time so I would have to give up my evenings for almost a month to afford one car. To unlock all of them would (apparently, and correct me if I'm wrong) take up over 400 hours of your time.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong but the costs quoted on the official forums put it at £1,000,000 cr. per 8 hours. I'm basing my opinions on this since I'm currently not intending to buy the game for this very reason.

I have no problem with the costs of these cars in Career mode but to apply the same pricing to Arcade mode is too much of a bitter pill for me to swallow. They appear to have forgotten that not everyone wants to play videogames every waking hour, some people just want to relax for a few hours after work (Where, ironically, I spend 9 hours a day playing video games)

It's not just me that is feeling this way either, there are plenty of gaming websites out there reporting the same feelings. There are also people on this forum who are in the same boat;

I will reach 6 Million in about 2 months. Some people have family.

2 months of playing just to experience a portion of the game you've paid for. Seems a bit unfair, no?

For reference, here's some more complaints:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721448
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/6281928/ShowThread.aspx

Last edited:
...I'd have to play the game for 2 hours every evening for almost an entire month just to get a single vehicle.
You're assuming every vehicle is at minimum 1 million credits. If you played for two hours, you'd have a couple hundred thousand, more than enough to buy some highly desirable cars in the game.

You're assuming every vehicle is at minimum 1 million credits. If you played for two hours, you'd have a couple hundred thousand, more than enough to buy some highly desirable cars in the game.

I'm talking about the high end cars here, the LMPs and the Lotus E21 etc.

I get roughly 2 hours free time each evening if I want to get to sleep at a decent time so I would have to give up my evenings for almost a month to afford one car.

And the fact you have limited time to play is Turn 10's fault how? Do you also complain to the rock gods you don't have enough hours in the day to learn how to play guitar? If something is worth doing is worth spending time doing it. That is what a computer game has historically been, play a long time and get good at it and the game will reward you. That is the design decision they made and I don't see or have a problem with it.

It's going to take time to buy the high end cars, it was the same way in GT5 too and probably will be the same in GT6.

There is one mayor diffrence between FM5 and GT5&FM4. In the old games you could let the AI driver help you do the grinding. Sure it was slow, but they still got the job done.
They got rid of that feature and let the drivatar earn credits. Well mine earned me about 8k in 3 days.
I think they did it on purpose to help microtransactions.

And the fact you have limited time to play is Turn 10's fault how? Do you also complain to the rock gods you don't have enough hours in the day to learn how to play guitar? If something is worth doing is worth spending time doing it. That is what a computer game has historically been, play a long time and get good at it and the game will reward you. That is the design decision they made and I don't see or have a problem with it.

I never suggested it was their fault, I'm just saying that for me (and 99% of the people I know, and those guys/girls on the forums posting replies to threads, and the guys/girls writing articles about it) this game would be severely limited due to the unnecessarily high amount of time required to drive particular cars not just in Career mode but in the entire game.

Why not keep them available in Arcade mode like they did in Forza 4? That's what I'm getting at here. The cost/grind cost in Career is understandable as it always has been in Forza games.

There is one mayor diffrence between FM5 and GT5&FM4. In the old games you could let the AI driver help you do the grinding. Sure it was slow, but they still got the job done.
They got rid of that feature and let the drivatar earn credits. Well mine earned me about 8k in 3 days.
I think they did it on purpose to help microtransactions.
Mines earning over 10k a day. Play the game more, get better at it, sync your drivatar, get more rewards. Simples.

Why not keep them available in Arcade mode like they did in Forza 4? That's what I'm getting at here. The cost/grind cost in Career is understandable as it always has been in Forza games.
Completely agree with this. The fact that it doesn't work this way in FM5 is reason enough for me to feel cynical about these microtransactions.

Back