Forza Motorsport 6 Featured in Games With Gold Lineup for August

Makes me wonder if Apex will also be removed, being that it was basically Forza 6 for PC.

How does licensing effect that?
Because licensing is typically done on a contractual basis. Like how Porsche was with EA for years or how Pikes Peak is now with Polyphony, etc. It’s a complex issue, but the simple way to put it is it doesn’t make a lot of financial sense for these companies to go back to older games and re-do licensing agreements (which costs money). I would imagine they typically focus licensing budgets on the current game or games releasing in the near future. The same issue can affect other sports games as well. Like how FIFA lost Juventus this year because they decided to go exclusive with PES. All the car companies have their own agendas when it comes to licensing their products. Race tracks too. Like I said, it’s a complicated mess. Lol

Because licensing is typically done on a contractual basis. Like how Porsche was with EA for years or how Pikes Peak is now with Polyphony, etc. It’s a complex issue, but the simple way to put it is it doesn’t make a lot of financial sense for these companies to go back to older games and re-do licensing agreements (which costs money). I would imagine they typically focus licensing budgets on the current game or games releasing in the near future. The same issue can affect other sports games as well. Like how FIFA lost Juventus this year because they decided to go exclusive with PES. All the car companies have their own agendas when it comes to licensing their products. Race tracks too. Like I said, it’s a complicated mess. Lol
So if mercedes dosen't want to be with GT anymore Sony must pull GT6 off the store for example?.

So if mercedes dosen't want to be with GT anymore Sony must pull GT6 off the store for example?.
Old contracts and ongoing contracts are different. They have a negotiated time of licensing, and yes GT6 will be pulled at some point when a contract expires, we don't know when.

You can't just decide to not want a contract that you already signed before you changed your mind :odd:
I know

Old contracts and ongoing contracts are different. They have a negotiated time of licensing, and yes GT6 will be pulled at some point when a contract expires, we don't know when.
Oh that makes sense i actually really want to learn about licensing in racing games.

I know

Oh that makes sense i actually really want to learn about licensing in racing games.

Licensing stuff is kind of...you have a work, and you want to use someone else's work to be used in your work. You cannot just use someone else's work for your own work's benefit. Because if that someone knows that apparently you got money/benefit from your own work, they know that they got nothing (exposure does not have value here lol) and they will sue you. Because your work is made to be sold, which is, makes money, then someone else's work also should be benefited. Not just you. Then, comes agreement. Or licensing. That someone is licensing you to use their work to be used on your work, for commercial context.

This is valid for everything, not just racing games.

Licensing stuff is kind of...you have a work, and you want to use someone else's work to be used in your work. You cannot just use someone else's work for your own work's benefit. Because if that someone knows that apparently you got money/benefit from your own work, they know that they got nothing (exposure does not have value here lol) and they will sue you. Because your work is made to be sold, which is, makes money, then someone else's work also should be benefited. Not just you. Then, comes agreement. Or licensing. That someone is licensing you to use their work to be used on your work, for commercial context.

This is valid for everything, not just racing games.
Thank you but i already know the concept lol

Racing games suffer alot from digital versions,licensing those games must be hell.It is always better to buy a physical disc just in case...

This isn't any different than before digital. At some point they stop making physical copies as well, and that means you have to find used copies. Just like FM6, which was also a physical release (as they will be with the next Xbox as well). If you own FM6 digitally, you can always redownload it, you can still play it. If you have a physical copy, you can still download it.

Exactly. The contracts aren't like relationships where you can just decide "you don't want to be with someone". At least not without a potentially expensive legal battle, etc. But, if the contract is not renewed AND the old contract did not give Sony the ability to license the cars in perpetuity? THen yes, they would have to pull the game. What you are describing is essentially what is happening with Forza 6, as happened with Forza Horizon 2, Dirt 2, and many other racing games.

Exactly. The contracts aren't like relationships where you can just decide "you don't want to be with someone". At least not without a potentially expensive legal battle, etc. But, if the contract is not renewed AND the old contract did not give Sony the ability to license the cars in perpetuity? THen yes, they would have to pull the game. What you are describing is essentially what is happening with Forza 6, as happened with Forza Horizon 2, Dirt 2, and many other racing games.
Well thats quite harsh...

Yeah, sorry, I guess I'm still harboring some resentments from relationships past. :guilty: I hate all this licensing nonsense because I would buy digital versions of these old games in a hearbeat, especially GT3 and GT4. I would love to play through those games again on my PS4.
Same :( thank you for all the info you seem to know about this stuff have you worked on licensing before?

Will you still be able to download it, if you own the game but it’s currently uninstalled?
I would assume no since I'm unable to reinstall Forza Motorsport 5, which was digitally installed. It doesn't even appear in my games list anywhere.

I would assume no since I'm unable to reinstall Forza Motorsport 5, which was digitally installed. It doesn't even appear in my games list anywhere.

Sounds like daylight robbery... If you paid for it its yours.

Back