Forza Motorsport 7: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 6,750 comments
I tried M7 after some time and I still don't get how the gamepad works. When I turn, the car lose grip and starts to slide. It's very strange but I had this problem all the time. What could it be? It's the same for Horizon but Horizon has stability control always on so it's not that bad. Is something strange with front grip? Maybe stock tuning is weird? In other games I turn and lose front grip first so I know I am too fast. Here I lose the whole car immediately. The only solution is to go slow enough. It's not a problem for playing but I just don't like this gameplay.
I had had the same problem, randomly than I tried gran turismo and felt like driving on rails.
Today, I use GT for daily races and Forza for special cars or online modes. Sorry, but it can’t be the car handling is like a ship with controller. And wheel as I read isn’t so well, too,,

It's not that it doesn't have elevation change, it's that Forza uses this ridiculous wide, nearly fisheye FOV that flattens everything out and makes things look further away. You can see this same effect on amateur MX GoPro footage all over YouTube. Watch some replays from different angles, the hills are there, you just can't see them while driving. So then you get a game like PC2, which has much better FOV options that makes things look more as they do naturally, and it'll totally ruin FM for you, especially when you blow past your braking points.

Turn Ten plays up a lot of things for dramatic effect at the expense of realism.
Okay, but I don’t like this. In Horizon, you can feel mountains, too. Shame that the racetrack-game, what should be more serious, can’t it. But maybe Forza 8nwith more focus on simulation as arcade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had had the same problem, randomly than I tried gran turismo and felt like driving on rails.
Today, I use GT for daily races and Forza for special cars or online modes. Sorry, but it can’t be the car handling is like a ship with controller. And wheel as I read isn’t so well, too,,
It's strange. Currently I play mostly AMS2. Sometimes I switch to PC1, PC2, AC and ACC to spice things up a bit. All games are very similar. Then I switch to Motorsport and can't enjoy steering. It's possible to go slower but that's not how it should be. I want to play with car and check the road. In M7 I steer and car lose grip on all wheels. Horizon is completely the same, it's something in steering. I did Aventador in Horizon recently and when you steer, you start to slide every time (if you steer enough).

GT is different, it has more assists but it doesn't allow you steer as much as Forza. You steer, you have understeer and you know you need to do something. It's a bit simple steering but lot of normal games do the same. In sims it's the best, you steer and car doesn't want to steer and you know something is bad. In Forza you are in 4 wheel slide already.

I re-downloaded FM7 on PC (on a gaming laptop) and noticed something:

When I entered the multiplayer mode, I was able to access it and play on a lobby even if my Xbox Live account isn't a Gold subscription, and neither do I have Game Pass. Could this mean multiplayer on the PC version is free?

Last edited:
I re-downloaded FM7 on PC (on a gaming laptop) and noticed something:

When I entered the multiplayer mode, I was able to access it and play on a lobby even if my Xbox Live account isn't a Gold subscription, and neither do I have Game Pass. Could this mean multiplayer on the PC version is free?

Gold isn’t required to play online with the PC version of games.

PC was always free and it's strange. It should be free on Xbox too ASAP. I don't want Gold anymore.
I definitely agree with you on this one. Will save us all a whole lot of moola.

However this would mean I'll have to get used to online as if I'm racing in a zoo. I drove a McLaren Senna on an R-class lobby and got mercilessly bullied by a bunch of meatheads around the Bernese Alps.

Last edited:
However this would mean I'll have to get used to online as if I'm racing in a zoo. I drove a McLaren Senna on an R-class lobby and got mercilessly bullied by a bunch of meatheads around the Bernese Alps.

The hoppers are a lawless wasteland.

Look for an organized league. Even with the game being so old there are a bunch out there that are still active where you can race against people who also want to race seriously and be clean.

I definitely agree with you on this one. Will save us all a whole lot of moola.

It's not that easy. I like paying for multiplayer servers because it can't be free. But it's free on PC. So I want fair conditions. If it's free on PC it should be free on Xbox too. Or opposite. Currently PC platform is awesome. You have much more games, better games, cheaper games and with your own settings. And you have free online. My new Xbox Series X is a bit sad because I don't know what to play on it, everything is on PC.

Bad drivers are everywhere. Most of the people can't drive. There is no easy solutions. I think playing with friends or other kind of closed circle is the only option. We have many ways to communicate over net and organization of races is possible. If the game allows private lobbies. I don't think it's possible to just start MP in any game and have a good experience. With luck maybe or in unpopular games.

The hoppers are a lawless wasteland.

Look for an organized league. Even with the game being so old there are a bunch out there that are still active where you can race against people who also want to race seriously and be clean.
Even just having the option to qualify, would help clean up open lobby races, and put the crap drivers in the back of the field, where they're less likely to be threats after the first turn or two.

Even just having the option to qualify, would help clean up open lobby races, and put the crap drivers in the back of the field, where they're less likely to be threats after the first turn or two.
The hoppers already have a rudimentary qualifying system, with the next race grid being organized by the fastest laps of the previous race, clean laps ahead of dirty laps... The issue is that draft dirties laps, so sometimes faster guys that battled all race end up starting mid-pack for the next one.

Also, if you join a lobby that is in progress, if you use the "Test Drive" feature and put in a lap before their race finishes, it will mix your time into the grid, essentially allowing you to qualify.

It's not necessarily the slower drivers that are the "crap drivers" on Forza though, as a lot of guys near the front are there thanks to corner cutting and excessive aggression. Some of that is Forza's fault, as without a properly functioning draft or any tire wear, the only way to make spots is by diving on the brakes, so it makes a lot of people super aggressive.

Again though, the only real solution is to find an organized league. We just got a new season started last week, 35 entries all people who are sick of the dirty racing in the hoppers and try to race clean. It's not that hard to find like minded people even with the game being so old.

I hope in Forza 8 if they're not going to allow you to choose time of day or night for your race, at least they get rid of that dusk/dawn preset. I absolutely HATE that time in this game. There's still enough darkness that you could really use those headlights that show to be on BUT THERE'S NO LIGHT COMING OUT OF THEM!! I completely exit out of every race if it's being ran at this time.

What I don't like too much of Forza 7 is the behaviour of the steering with the controller.

In Sim mode, it is basically impossible to do finesse driving, because in the initial part of the turn (before apex) the car greatly oversteers, and the car behaviour (every car) is simply too twitchy.

In Normal mode, it is easier to get the right apex, but all car's behaviour is gone.

Probably the best way will be a mode in the middle of the two, or allow the players to tweak with steering linearity and sensitivity under Sim mode.

Last edited:
What I don't like too much of Forza 7 is the behaviour of the steering with the controller.

In Sim mode, it is basically impossible to do finesse driving, because in the initial part of the turn (before apex) the car greatly oversteer, and the car bahaviour (every car) is simply too twitchy.

In Normal mode, it is easier to get the right apex, but all car's behaviour is gone.

Probably the best way will be a mode in the middle of the two, or allow the players to tweak with steering linearity and sensitivity under Sim mode.
That's true. I use sim only and it's very strange. Not completely bad but not enjoyable enough. Normal mode should be another assist on the steering so it's not a solution.

Problem with steering is if you steer with max angle you lose grip on all tires which is not so cool. GT solves it with lowering steering angle. You steer and get lower angle so you know you need to slow down a bit. It's very intuitive but it's like playing NFS.

Lower front grip should solve many similar situations because steering won't have any effect and you get understeer. Overall it's better to not to play Motorstorm on a pad :D I still like Horizon because it has stabilization always on so you steer your car lose grip and stabilization catch it. Not so bad for this kind of game. GT has stabilization always on too so it's not that bad.

edit:
I don't have time but setup with removing front grip should help. I need to test it ASAP.

Last edited:
I’ve started getting back into this recently after randomly watching a YouTube video on controller settings by Super GT. His settings make cars so much more controllable then the default settings especially in regards to throttle and steering deadzones. I can’t believe I’ve overlooked this aspect for so long. It really has enhanced my enjoyment of the game by a fair margin. I can actually drive the racecars in the game in an enjoyable way even with TCS and SC switched off which is my default.

I’ve started getting back into this recently after randomly watching a YouTube video on controller settings by Super GT. His settings make cars so much more controllable then the default settings especially in regards to throttle and steering deadzones. I can’t believe I’ve overlooked this aspect for so long. It really has enhanced my enjoyment of the game by a fair margin. I can actually drive the racecars in the game in an enjoyable way even with TCS and SC switched off which is my default.
Yeah, opening up those deadzones really helps a ton. It's now the first thing I do every time I jump into a Forza game.

Looks like I’m going to buy the Ultimate Edition even though I don’t have an Xbox One and my PC would set aflame trying to run it.

Shame that going end-of-life means that there will be no Forza Motorsport game available digitally indefinitely. Hopefully we get more news on how the next game is doing before the end of the summer (or winter).

Looks like I’m going to buy the Ultimate Edition even though I don’t have an Xbox One and my PC would set aflame trying to run it.

Shame that going end-of-life means that there will be no Forza Motorsport game available digitally indefinitely. Hopefully we get more news on how the next game is doing before the end of the summer (or winter).
I don't have an Xbox, but I have a recent PC. If I wanted to pick up FM7, that would be the route I would go. If it was offered on Steam, you could run it on a tablet or powerful phone. :lol: Alas, only Horizon 4 is on Steam. Hmm...you need a new PC, don't you? :D

That's just short of 4 years since it was released, (Oct. 7, 2017). Is that the normal time frame for a game to go to End Of Life status?
It is for Motorsport. FM5 came out in 2013 and went EoL right after FM7 launched in 2017. FM6 was launched in 2015 and went EoL in 2019. So it makes sense (even if it’s disappointing) that FM7 would go EoL after four years. Once FM7 is removed from the store, this will be the first time in 16 years there will be no Motorsport title to buy.

I don't have an Xbox, but I have a recent PC. If I wanted to pick up FM7, that would be the route I would go. If it was offered on Steam, you could run it on a tablet or powerful phone. :lol: Alas, only Horizon 4 is on Steam. Hmm...you need a new PC, don't you? :D
Gaming is not a priority for my PC (though I do have some PS3/360 era games that it can run; it can even run Assetto Corsa on minimum graphics). Besides, the chip shortage and crypto mining has made building more expensive than it should be. My reason for buying is probably just FOMO. Nothing new for me because I FOMO’d my way to buying PCARS 1 and 2 a few months back (although they’re still available).

It's pretty wild to see that there will probably be no Forza Motorsport title on sale for the foreseeable future. :boggled:

I imagine this wasn't part of the plan - When the contracts were negotiated, I imagine the usual 4 years would have allowed the game to be listed until a new Forza Motorsport game came out. Then the pandemic happened and dates got pushed back.

Gaming is not a priority for my PC (though I do have some PS3/360 era games that it can run; it can even run Assetto Corsa on minimum graphics). Besides, the chip shortage and crypto mining has made building more expensive than it should be. My reason for buying is probably just FOMO. Nothing new for me because I FOMO’d my way to buying PCARS 1 and 2 a few months back (although they’re still available).
Knowing that Forza Motorsport (8?) is in the pipeline, I personally planned to wait. Microsoft is promoting FH5 pretty hard, likely to catch the casual racing gamer. MS must be willing to shake off any late buyers & focus as many resources on finishing the next FM.

It was a good game; it wasn’t a great one though in my opinion. There were a bunch of things that weren’t as good as in previous games, and performance-wise it got off to an unusually rough start. Ultimately I think “700 cars” was too big a factor in its shortcomings.

Wasn’t all bad though, handling model was decent, it did end up running well on Xbox One X and homologation did help build many small community clubs.

In my eyes this is the last of the “old Forzas” in terms of design philosophy. I hope the next game leans more towards the serious side.

I’ve just started getting back into the game after finding some much more enjoyable controller setup. I have mixed feelings about the game. I do enjoy the game but without the loving feeling I have for the 360 era versions like 2/3/4. Great graphics but a lacklustre career mode (not a fan of the restraints of homologation) and missing a lot of recent racecars make it a mixed bag for me.

No surprise at EOL. That’s licensing for you but the fact that it’s happening without a replacement out or soon to be released leaves a bit of a gap that just feels a bit odd.

So if you don't already own it whats the difference if you just buy a physical version at a later point?

Licensing is so dumb. You don't see movies getting "delisted" because their product placement kickback is over so why does it exist on this medium? For the super crappy soundtracks that I always mute anyway?

So if you don't already own it whats the difference if you just buy a physical version at a later point?

Licensing is so dumb. You don't see movies getting "delisted" because their product placement kickback is over so why does it exist on this medium? For the super crappy soundtracks that I always mute anyway?
Other than not being able to buy DLC (unless your physical copy has a code), no difference really.

Delisting usually just means they’re not allowed to sell the game anymore, which is why they tend to give it away somehow.

Also, for racing games it’s not always music, but the cars themselves (all of them) which are expiring.

Last edited:
Thanks. This dumb licensing issue is why we've never seen a remastered release of Outrun 2 on any modern platform.

Heck I'd take it even with slightly fudged Ferrado designs like the 3DS release if that meant it was back out there.

Delisting, licensing, limited BC etc.. all of this is so wack.

Back