Forza Motorsport 7's July Update is Doing Away With Locked Cars

Unpopular opinion time: I don't think the concept of having locked cars was really a bad idea, it just wasn't implemented correctly at all.

I get the idea behind it; Forza 6 made collecting cars completely trivial to the point where people were eventually complaining they had 20+ million credits and nothing to spend them on, so they obviously wanted some cars to have extra value and be more desirable. But between the specialty dealer running repeats for so long with such a small pool to choose from each week, Forzathons only happening once a month until recently and a number of the locked cars being too mundane to really be excited over, the whole idea just fell completely flat.

The fact that the rarer prize cars given out through the message system (from bounty hunts or random community events that are not communicated to the playerbase through the game itself that seem to encompass everything other than playing the actual game like watching streams or retweeting...) can't actually be traded through the auction house sure didn't help.

Really only the Holden VL Group A is the car I'm looking forward to having unlocked. Otherwise I just have the Audi S3, NC MX-5, Shelby Raptor, S4 Stradale, Chevy SS, Q50, and the Lykan. Yawn. Too little too late.

no one here but im aining the players who don't want to put effort into things for no real resson.

Is using the credits you earn by playing the game to buy a car that's advertised to be available in the game before release less "effort" than getting a free car by sharing a tweet or liking a facebook post or watching someone else play the game for X minutes?

Besides, it's a game. Why should access to basic content even be justified with "effort." Even then, why should it take more "effort" to get a 2013 MX-5 than any Lamborghini?

Last edited:
Is using the credits you earn by playing the game to buy a car that's advertised to be available in the game before release less "effort" than getting a free car by sharing a tweet or liking a facebook post or watching someone else play the game for X minutes?
No no what i mean is pepole want everything from the start (for example in order to get some cars in GT4 you had to invest time & effort like the sauber C9 etc). nothing wrong with that but i don't like that style because grinding for something & finally get it after hours is such a nice feeling.

That's another thing. With the current system of time-locked rewards, latecomers might not even have had a chance to put in that "effort."

That's another thing. With the current system of time-locked rewards, latecomers might not even have had a chance to put in that "effort."
i agree with that the amount of effort should be scaled according to the car & everyone should have the change to try as many times as they want whenever they want (sorry im better at explaining with talking rather than writing.)

no one here but im aining the players who don't want to put effort into things for no real resson.

:odd:

The locked cars had little to do with "effort", and everything to do with timing. If you missed a particular challenge, you simply couldn't put the car in your garage. No matter how many in-game credits you had.

And in FM7, players can still drive every single car in stock form anyway, through the Rental feature.

No no what i mean is pepole want everything from the start (for example in order to get some cars in GT4 you had to invest time & effort like the sauber C9 etc). nothing wrong with that but i don't like that style because grinding for something & finally get it after hours is such a nice feeling.

That sounds very EA:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

Artificially extending a game by throwing grind-heavy items at players — like one car requiring at least a dozen hours of the same mindless activity — is the opposite of good design.

:odd:

The locked cars had little to do with "effort", and everything to do with timing. If you missed a particular challenge, you simply couldn't put the car in your garage. No matter how many in-game credits you had.

And in FM7, players can still drive every single car in stock form anyway, through the Rental feature.

That sounds very EA:

Artificially extending a game by throwing grind-heavy items at players — like one car requiring at least a dozen hours of the same mindless activity — is the opposite of good design.
My concept is very simple for some items players have to do a simple thing for example complete a certain event no exclusive event no very long races no pointless grind . Thats the best i can explain it in short . Also how dare you i hate EA :lol:.

Don’t wanna put in the effort, lol. Tell me how I’m supposed to put in effort for a car that didn’t become available to be won until 6 months after release.
Obviously im not taking about you in this case fair enough .

Obviously im not taking about you in this case fair enough .
You’re talking about a lot of people in a lot of cases. Most of these locked cars were based on timed events that happened long after the game was released. And even after you did acquire them the first time, T10 locked them again meaning you had to wait for another long time before you could potentially get another example. Rinse and repeat.

Unlocking these cars doesn’t change the grind. You’ll still have to pay for them in game, and the cars associated with the “career” still have to be unlocked through events. All this update does is instead of me waiting months to get a GT3 RS or 599 GTO, I can pay the $400k-1m+ whatever price they would normally go for. I still have to work for them.

You’re talking about a lot of people in a lot of cases. Most of these locked cars were based on timed events that happened long after the game was released. And even after you did acquire them the first time, T10 locked them again meaning you had to wait for another long time before you could potentially get another example. Rinse and repeat.

Unlocking these cars doesn’t change the grind. You’ll still have to pay for them in game, and the cars associated with the “career” still have to be unlocked through events. All this update does is instead of me waiting months to get a GT3 RS or 599 GTO, I can pay the $400k-1m+ whatever price they would normally go for. I still have to work for them.
i blame T10 for this concept but im saying many pepole don't want to put any time for any prize you know what i mean, at least i hope so.

i blame T10 for this concept but im saying many pepole don't want to put any time for any prize you know what i mean, at least i hope so.
I do, and if that’s the way the cars originally worked, being there from the get-go as long as a challenge to get them was available whenever one wanted to do it, I’d have no problem.

So yeah, T10 is def to blame for how it was handled.

I do, and if that’s the way the cars originally worked, being there from the get-go as long as a challenge to get them was available whenever one wanted to do it, I’d have no problem.

So yeah, T10 is def to blame for how it was handled.
Glad we agree.

Good news... there are some Fords I need to rebuy. This saves me from having to strip paint jobs and tunes from auction house purchases.

Glad we agree.

Following all the discussion on effort in FM7, I think the effort does not lie in buying a car. In this game the effort is to learn and race the car, the effort is to take on harder AI or win online. the effort is to gradually remove all assists.

Cars are just the support fo driving. I could have bought the Renault F1, but I still struggle to control P/X caless cars with low assists and versus +20% credits drivatars. So I put effort in the game to learn the tracks, the cars and be a better virtual driver.
That's where the effort is.

IMHO

So yes, locked cars was a way to promote events, but now time has come to get away with it.
I bought two locked cars from auction house (Ferrarri 250 LM and Nissan GTR-LM R33? both are a great drive) this is an alternative when missing an event)

Following all the discussion on effort in FM7, I think the effort does not lie in buying a car. In this game the effort is to learn and race the car, the effort is to take on harder AI or win online. the effort is to gradually remove all assists.

Cars are just the support fo driving. I could have bought the Renault F1, but I still struggle to control P/X caless cars with low assists and versus +20% credits drivatars. So I put effort in the game to learn the tracks, the cars and be a better virtual driver.
That's where the effort is.

IMHO

So yes, locked cars was a way to promote events, but now time has come to get away with it.
I bought two locked cars from auction house (Ferrarri 250 LM and Nissan GTR-LM R33? both are a great drive) this is an alternative when missing an event)
I agree with the first half but i disagree as well having to get a license win a long career event etc in order to get a car requires effort & time as well and as long as its not ridiculous i think it should exist in games.

Yes, win cars from permanent events such as a division win or carreer events. that's OK.

In my example I wanted the Ferrarri 250 LM, the first time it appeared in specialty dealer I didn't had the money since I just got the game, the second time... err they changed the specialty dealer car list before it. So it was basically a car I could'nt have. No matter what effort I want to put in.

that was the issue: timing

I won the regera some time ago, but many missed it, not out of laziness but out of bad timing (until it was added in specialty dealer).

FE cars are locked behind an event and it's ok, but regular cars are better in the regular merchant. That has always been the philosophy of Forza: get the car you like and drive the best you can with it.
No car is superior to another they are just different taste, and homologation races allows each car to be reasonnably good in it's category.

I grind in need for speed and it's ok, but in Forza my focus is on driving, not making a 33 turn run around lime rock in my dodge dart FE, full with mods to maximize money

Yes, win cars from permanent events such as a division win or carreer events. that's OK.

In my example I wanted the Ferrarri 250 LM, the first time it appeared in specialty dealer I didn't had the money since I just got the game, the second time... err they changed the specialty dealer car list before it. So it was basically a car I could'nt have. No matter what effort I want to put in.

that was the issue: timing

I won the regera some time ago, but many missed it, not out of laziness but out of bad timing (until it was added in specialty dealer).

FE cars are locked behind an event and it's ok, but regular cars are better in the regular merchant. That has always been the philosophy of Forza: get the car you like and drive the best you can with it.
No car is superior to another they are just different taste, and homologation races allows each car to be reasonnably good in it's category.

I grind in need for speed and it's ok, but in Forza my focus is on driving, not making a 33 turn run around lime rock in my dodge dart FE, full with mods to maximize money
like i said agree when it comes to limited time events etc.

You know what will be the icing on the cake? Adjustable field of view for the cockpit. When i use my wheel i play mostly in the dash view now wich is great, but when im playing with my controller im using cockpit view wich also looks good for the most cars. The problem is some cars have too low or too high camera positioning where you see too much of the interior, like the camera doesn't point straight at the road but more to the steering wheel.
Like i wanna adjust it more towards FH3
Forza Horizon 3 22_06_2018 2_39_40.png
Forza Motorsport 7 10_06_2018 14_39_13.png

The most annoying thing about FM7’s locked cars is that in case you go on holiday for 2 weeks you miss out on locked cars. I went to Mexico for 2 weeks in April and to Croatia for 2 weeks in June. It’s not fun at all if you want to collect all the cars in this game with a nifty “car collection” screen, you are unable to do so. But the same goes for so many games with these weekly goodies, abandoned cars in NFS Payback, weapon/vehicle/outfit skins in Far Cry 5, mileage updates in GT Sport, etc.

I think the way it will be done in FH4 is far better, you get a Forzathon currency which you can use in the Forzathon shop. If they really HAVE to do these weekly events, that’s the best way to do it.

Still I much prefer total freedom in the games (meaning the player can decide when to play the game and not miss out on content if he doesn’t play for a certain week or month) and all post-launch content updates are either free or payed DLC. I don’t want to have to work or grind for extra cars in racing games, I play these games for fun. It’s fine to have content locked at my own progression (like in FM7 have FE cars locked at the end of career mode) but not at time/date locks. If a game is really good all this post-launch event rewards is not needed. Events are fine but people should want to play the events because they are fun, not because there is a good reward tied to them.

I personally think that arguing about 'laziness' is kind of putting the blame back on the player for little reason.

If I buy the game for $60 somehow its ok to put roadblocks on my obtaining cars in an arbitrary fashion and yet I buy the car packs and I get the cars for free?

In the end, I'm not interested in collecting cars... is Forza a car collection game or a racing game? Which is the most important goal here?

I really deplore people who claim other people are 'lazy'... I bought the game, you bought the game, are we different in some way because you want to devote heaps of time to this hobby and someone else has other things to do in their life?

There should not be 'unicorns' nor do I think cars should be in the millions... you're basically hiding content away from people who essentially paid the same price to get this game as anyone else.

I have no issue with Forzathons that put say million dollar cars or FEs behind fairly obvious criteria that anyone can access... however look at the limited time access barn finds of Horizon 3...

This is really just poor game design and nothing else.

Just to be fair about this, I think the $20 mil. cars in Gran Turismo is the height of stupidity too.

So, correct me if I am wrong. After tomorrow, the Only locked car will be the Ford Raptor FE? I understand the Ford Fiesta FE is a prize shortly, so that is locked as well but will be available shortly. Am I correct?

So, correct me if I am wrong. After tomorrow, the Only locked car will be the Ford Raptor FE? I understand the Ford Fiesta FE is a prize shortly, so that is locked as well but will be available shortly. Am I correct?
Mostly correct. All FEs are locked unless you've already earned or been gifted one. So if you're new to the game, all the FEs will be locked.

Back