Forza Motorsport to Feature Brand New Tire Model, Tire Compounds

"Up to now, every Forza Motorsport game had treated the tire/track interface as a single point of contact for each tire, with the physics calculations updated 60 times a second. For the new Forza Motorsport, the tire contact patch features eight points, updating 360 times a second, resulting in a behavior model that is almost 50 times more detailed than before."

8ad4fbc4-2cf2-42f2-bbc0-200037ca6e2b_text.gif

That's a lot of processing power. No wonder the XBX & PS5 need such fast chips.

To be honest, those numbers are just catching up with what other games have been doing on the XB1, as far as I am aware. The main physics engine has been running at at least 360Hz since FM2 on the 360, this just sounds like they're no longer skipping the tyre model 80% of the time.

Here's hoping this recaptures FM's magic. As someone who played and loved FH3 and FM6, FM7 just felt... empty, really. Soulless. Something was really missing, and it wasn't just the mods etc. You could tell something was amiss, and it wasn't something you could put your finger on.

Most anticipated upcoming title for me, a little surprised about a late ‘22 launch but I guess 18 months really isn’t that far away.

This is a crazy long production time. I hope it pays off.....

Am I right in thinking FM7 released in 2017 ? Gosh for T10 this is a long production time, hopefully this means that they are going all out and its going to be great, I'm looking forward to it :)

Am I right in thinking FM7 released in 2017 ? Gosh for T10 this is a long production time, hopefully this means that they are going all out and its going to be great, I'm looking forward to it :)
Yes, FM7 released in 2017.

but they did meanwhile horizon 4 and also its brand new engine for new motorsport when gt sprot was also in 2017, no other game after premiere and gt7 looks like same engine + some rt

You are right, meaning FM7 hits (or should, based on every other Forza game so far) official end of life this fall. So, I have my hopes up that we might actually see it this year!

This one has me excited enough that I just scored an XSX for it.:)

"Up to now, every Forza Motorsport game had treated the tire/track interface as a single point of contact for each tire, with the physics calculations updated 60 times a second. For the new Forza Motorsport, the tire contact patch features eight points, updating 360 times a second, resulting in a behavior model that is almost 50 times more detailed than before."

8ad4fbc4-2cf2-42f2-bbc0-200037ca6e2b_text.gif

Not really, as FM7 was behind a lot of other titles in that regard already.

Personally I hope that its a return to a better FM after the bloated mess that is 7.

Here's hoping this recaptures FM's magic. As someone who played and loved FH3 and FM6, FM7 just felt... empty, really. Soulless. Something was really missing, and it wasn't just the mods etc. You could tell something was amiss, and it wasn't something you could put your finger on.

Hm weird. I played all Forza games and F7 is my favourite. Such so many improvements here and there. Constantly evolving with every new game some details better in Horizon and/or Motorsport.

snc
but they did meanwhile horizon 4 and also its brand new engine for new motorsport when gt sprot was also in 2017, no other game after premiere and gt7 looks like same engine + some rt

Horizon series is made by Playground Games... Regarding engine: Afaik Forza games use their own in house Forza Tech called engine that gets further developed with every new graphics tech to always be up to date.

Physics updates and strategical elements are always nice to have, so kudos on them for going down this direction.

Hopefully it also leads to robust in-game driver education, stewarding, motivations to play well etc., basically all of the things that make GT Sport what it is; more track-based racers need to assume their players aren’t good enough to figure this all out themselves, in my opinion.

If “the pursuit of being the best racer you can be” is a core philosophy, everybody wins :)

I came to it on PC having not played a FM title since 4, and I have to admit it confused the hell out of me.

FM4 was slick to navigate and focused in comparison, I don't dislike 7, but it's all over the place.

Well there's the problem, your comparing it to the best version of FM :)

I dislike the presentation of 7, all the stupid driver gear crap, mods etc but the driving physics and weather are improved compared to 6. Also the fact that you can adjust the race length means I can plan my overtakes properly without having to resort to crashing and barging my way past to get to the front makes it a pleasure to drive. And I like the shear number of cars on offer. If you can ignore all the crap it's actually a fun title.

Last edited:
FM4 was slick to navigate and focused in comparison, I don't dislike 7, but it's all over the place.

FM7 honestly feels a lot like GT4 to me - great scope and the immediate gameplay is well put together, but structurally it's just a big pile of stuff. It's the pinnacle of the all-you-can-eat-buffet approach to racing game design that was pioneered by Gran Turismo.

I still have serious doubts. Forza's physics have always sounded good on paper but then in reality have always been atrocious. No thanks to the poor control methods (terrible force feedback, and controllers having filtering/speed sensitivity set so high you don't have full control over the cars steering until you slow down. you tilt all the way to left or right and the cars wheel barely turns unless you're pretty much stopped. GT does this a little bit too but in Forza it's egregious)

This is why I've never been able to get into Forza Motorsport. Horizon has less of these issues so I've always enjoyed those but I could never get into forza. Frankly I find Grid Autosport far more satisfying let alone GT Sport or a real sim like Assetto Corsa or rFactor 2.

Maybe I'm missing something but the control and physics have always prevented me from enjoying the series.

Late '22 launch window? Damn. Guessing no new details to be shown at E3 besides maybe a teaser trailer (which probably won't happen, either).

Back