Forza Racing Wheel?

• Thread starter sicbeing
  • 18 comments
Im gonna try my ol MC2 tonight, should be fun. I can tell by the way the steering and accel/brake response is on the controller that the wheel should probably be pretty good.

Don't know if I want to pay the dough for the speedshock after paying for the DFP. How well does the MC2 play? Is it a good wheel for this game?

I find the MC2 is a very solid performer and designed very smarlty. The pedals are excellent and give you a natrual feel of travel, the stick is decent and easy to reach and the stiff centering of the wheel makes it feel so natural to hold long turns just right, and also feels approprately hard to push into those tight hairpins.

Two things: Look for the red MC2, the yellow one for some reason seems to have a very soft spring that centers it and doesn't feel nearly as tight and responsive as the red one (could have been just my luck though).

When you do try driving with it I sugest driving with your left hand top center on teh wheel, and right hand holding the base of the stick (the body of the controller) even if you are driving automatic (which is near blasphemy with a game like forza) this will give you good control and let you easily feel how far the wheel is turning in relation to the body of the controller, which if it's on your lap is important.

Give yourself an hour of play time to get used to the wheel, do not discount it right off.

But definitely try it, if you don't like it take it back, easy as that!

And I hear the Fanatec wheel is a solid wheel but not worth it's going price and it is not force feedback... so....

I thought long and hard about getting the Fanatec wheel; but then I had to talk myself into spending 150 large on the DFP, and it's supposedly superior. I may pick up the Fanatec wheel if the price drops...

I've got the MC2 and it's worth the $59.
The pedals slide on the carpet like buter though so rig somthing up to hold them.
The stick feature is cool.
If you can't drop $150 for another wheel then i recommend the MC2. The orange one wtih the communicaotr port.

WeAreN1nja
I thought long and hard about getting the Fanatec wheel; but then I had to talk myself into spending 150 large on the DFP, and it's supposedly superior. I may pick up the Fanatec wheel if the price drops...

I would probably skip the fanatec and just get the $50ish MC2 now... what is it about the fanatec you like more than the MC2?

Thanks for the feedback guys. So I take it that the stick on the MC2 works just fine, is that correct? I read somewhere that the universal MadCatz's stick didn't work on Forza, but I gather that the stick on the MC2 (the one specifically designed for xbox) works fine.

Is that correct?

Devedander
I would probably skip the fanatec and just get the $50ish MC2 now... what is it about the fanatec you like more than the MC2?

It's supposed to be the "be all, end all" wheel on the 'Box and GT is awesome w/ the DFP, so Forza has got to be that much better with the Speedster 3, I guess. Plus, I have a burning hatred for Mad Catz in general. Most of the Mad Catz products I've owned haven't lasted more than a month.

I've had:

1.) Mad Catz Dreamcast pad: Nice, transluscent orange. The program button would activate on it's own, mid-game and you'd reprogram the pad mid-play... Not cool. Plus the littel Mad Catz logo/plate came off. I think the glue dried up or something. 👎

2.) Mad Catz PS1 hand-held raing wheel: It was actually very nice, it worked well and had a nice rubber wheel and a responsive trigger. It was and still is one of my favorite racing controllers. I'm just on my third one... The nice rubber wheel doesn't have any "travel stops" so get a little excited entering a corner and twist the wheel and you hear a nice little snapping noise, and, well, that's that. With my second one, I was able to avoid snapping the steering column, but it began to glitch uncontrollably, so I bought a third one. I only use it on occasions, as I don't think I can replace it... 👍 👎

3.) Mad Catz PS2 pad: Poo from day one. The buttons were sluggish and unresponsive, and it glitched badly as well. 👎

4.) Mad Catz PS1 "full-size" racing wheel. I actually took it back to the store before it had a chance to break because it... well... sucked. 👎

One day, I swore off Mad Catz stuff and never looked back.

you any of you guys tried to use a frex shifter with your mad catz if i get the mad catz i am gonna buy the frex H shifter has 8 gears on it and just plugs in to the usb port

DFP = USB

Forza (Xbox) = USB??? I don't think so, unless there is some kind of "switchbox" to connect a USB wheel to the Xbox

The plugs for the Xbox are basically bloated USB plugs. I know theres adapters you can buy so you can use the controllers on your computer, and I think you can get adapters to plug USB peripherals into your Xbox but that DFP is one complicated wheel, I doubt the xbox would be able to work all the bells and whistles for it

Sloth
I thought I read somewhere that Forza was compatible with the Driving Force Pro.

Is this true?

Well, since no driver for it exists because MS aren't allowed to touch Logitech's Force Feedback technology anymore after they were convicted of stealing it for their own Microsoft Wheel, and since they won't allow Logitech to write same driver, I doubt it very, very much.

WeAreN1nja
It's supposed to be the "be all, end all" wheel on the 'Box and GT is awesome w/ the DFP, so Forza has got to be that much better with the Speedster 3, I guess. Plus, I have a burning hatred for Mad Catz in general. Most of the Mad Catz products I've owned haven't lasted more than a month.

I've had:

1.) Mad Catz Dreamcast pad: Nice, transluscent orange. The program button would activate on it's own, mid-game and you'd reprogram the pad mid-play... Not cool. Plus the littel Mad Catz logo/plate came off. I think the glue dried up or something. 👎

2.) Mad Catz PS1 hand-held raing wheel: It was actually very nice, it worked well and had a nice rubber wheel and a responsive trigger. It was and still is one of my favorite racing controllers. I'm just on my third one... The nice rubber wheel doesn't have any "travel stops" so get a little excited entering a corner and twist the wheel and you hear a nice little snapping noise, and, well, that's that. With my second one, I was able to avoid snapping the steering column, but it began to glitch uncontrollably, so I bought a third one. I only use it on occasions, as I don't think I can replace it... 👍 👎

3.) Mad Catz PS2 pad: Poo from day one. The buttons were sluggish and unresponsive, and it glitched badly as well. 👎

4.) Mad Catz PS1 "full-size" racing wheel. I actually took it back to the store before it had a chance to break because it... well... sucked. 👎

One day, I swore off Mad Catz stuff and never looked back.

Sorry to take so long to get back here but I have to agree most of the time Mad Catz makes me think crappy product, but in this case the wheels is very well made.

So exactly what is the deal with the "force feedback?" I know that the XBox doesn't support force feedback, so how does this wheel work when it says that force feedback is one of the features. Does anyone know if it can be used on the PC?

Back