FRL (Furi's Race Leagues): Phase #1 On PS3 2011-2015... Phase 2 Incoming...

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,310 comments
Oh and ignore @hsv - he runs 10 10 camber so is slow. ;)
I've actually found a lovely setup that involves only around half that. :P

463-new_2008-12-22-img_2169.jpg

I would say of course, but the late night bit isn't really suitable for me.

Logo.jpg
FRL Fridays: Issue One

Introduction

Hello and welcome to the inaugural issue of FRL Fridays! Your weekly wind up of the news from the world of Gran Turismo Planet’s popular online racing threads. As well as race reports, news and banter you’ll find previews of what’s in store for the next week! Now sit back, relax, and enjoy – Rob Adams, Editor

The Big Picture

The World Sportscar Championship visits the beautiful beaches of Daytona road course. The GT-O field is entering the tri-oval as the GT-P’s accelerate down to turn 1.
The Big Picture.jpg

In The Paddock

Reports from the inside as we bring you the news announced this week, interviews with drivers and the reports from the weekends racing!

First Laps of ToCA 12!

As ever ToCA's first preseason week is one of the most active and chaotic. In all this chaos however some things have been spotted as teams travelled around to varying tracks for testing - with the main session last Saturday night at Brands Hatch. Humberside Racing's@Scaniabebe is currently on the mend after an off track injury, which left the testing stage to two makes in particular.

Furi Autosports had 3 Volvo chassis out for much of the session, and@Ninners showed a lot of speed at the top of the standings. A 4th chassis for @Andil in what is rumoured to be an Independent entry also appeared alongside the other two Furi Autosports cars of @Furinkazen and@DrifterJoe. Joe complained of handing issues all day and the chassis is being checked back over at FAS HQ. Also racking up miles were two Nissan 370GT chassis, with@chrisjohnson93 sporting a rather colourful testing livery and @DK having gearbox issues restricting his running.

The one manufacturer there with a vengeance were Hyundai. It is estimated 7 Hyundai chassis were present at Brands, with them being in hands of drivers such as @Yeratel84 and @Michelin. Also a sole Renault was at Brands in hands of@RyanRacer who had a handful of small offs restricting test running.

The field heads to Nurburgring Saturday for another session with planned runs from other teams that have not yet set foot officially to the track.

What the duck was that?!?

From whining to winning! @Pluxtheduck takes his second win of the season to close the gap to Jaguar teammate @DrifterJoe to just one point after this weekend’s WSC round at Daytona Road Course. However it wasn’t all plain sailing for the Milton Keynes based team.

What the duck.jpg

After an enthralling GT-O qualifying under the lights in which it came down to the last car crossing the line before the grid was decided, a new face stood in pole position for the race the following afternoon. The #12 Ferrari 250GTO of @Yeratel84 took pole position heading a Ferrari 1-2-3 with current championship leader @snowgt's sister #72 entry and the older #43 250GTB variant of @raceorama123432 lapping respectively, albeit the 3rd place driver a full second off of the pole time.

The GT-P qualifying was a more routine affair however seeing @DrifterJoeheading the previous rounds winner @Ninners in the appropriately-named Daytona Coupe and then the second of the Jaguar drivers, @Pluxtheduck in third after complaining about the visibility of his brake markers during the night time qualifying session. It was a relatively disappointing qualifying for WSC debutant @RACECAR who put his #94 Daytona Coupe 7th overall and last of the GT-P’s.

And so onto the race and as the field of GT-P’s entered the Bus Stop it was clear that the chase for the lead was going to be between the Jaguar teammates as @Pluxtheduck slid past his GT-P rival to take 2nd position at the end of the first lap. However, entering the half hour mark the Daytona driver hadn’t given up and retook 2nd position. The jostling of positions allowed the pole sitter to increase his lead to over 20s. As the pitstops took place @Ninners briefly took the lead as both Jaguars pitted in unison. However they were back out in front 3 laps later. But it wasn’t a walk in the park from there. After building up an easy lead @DrifterJoe threw it away with 15 laps to go and it was his teammate out front. A thrilling battle at the head of the field was decided by a collision between the two teammates in Turn 1 with 8 to go saw @Pluxtheduck take victory from his teammate after fighting back on new tyres to second. @Ninners took the final podium position over the Ford drivers of @gtpanoz, @jammy21 and @Furinkazen. The debutant GT-P driver @RACECAR had a troubled race finishing 3 laps down from the lead.

GT-O.jpg

Unlike their qualifying session it was a rather sensible start for the GT-O field with the only move coming from the 3rd place car of @raceorama123432 to move up to second past championship leader @snowgt. However drama at the exit of the Bus Stop on lap 1 saw @FlyingFox loose the tail end of his Corvette and was collected by @MatheusBond making the weekend a lot hard for those drivers. A brief 3 wide moment for second place saw the Mustang of @R0ssingt0n take two places up to 2nd from 4th. However a mistake going into Turn 1 a lap later saw his weekend come to an early close allowing @snowgt back into his 2nd position earned in qualifying and @Siggers move up into the podium positions in his Mustang. But he was later passed by the 3rd Ferrari after complaining about tyre issues. Drama struck the Portuguese driver just before the hour mark as an off at the bus stop caused him to lose his lead. However, no damage allowed him to carry on after a lucky escape. This however lead to a relatively easy victory for the Austrian points leader taking a clean sweep of victories so far this season in his GTO. Further issue to the pole sitter saw him drop to third before catching up to pass the GTB Ferrari to reclaim second. @Siggers was the first non-Ferrari finishing 4th, from a lonely Jaguar E-Type of @chrisjohnson93.

More Muscle for WSC

RedBullRing_3_zpsbc7781cd.jpg

The WSC will for the first time ever have Chevrolet going for the overall honours, as they revealed at the weekend their GT-P class Camaro Z28 which will be used from WSC IX onwards. The new contender is understood to have "over 520hp" and been developed in conjunction with renowned US team Penske Racing. Chevrolet themselves have not confirmed if they are putting a works team in, but the car will be sold to customer teams.

Furinkazen talks ToCA

CityofArtsandSciences-Night_7_zps26510d1c.jpg

The first interview this week is from our reporter R. Waffle naturally sat down with the curator of FRL and current team boss of FAS.

So, Furinkazen, a new season of ToCA is upon us. What are your initial thoughts to ToCA12 as the series host?
I think that this is the most anticipated season ever. Up and down the paddock there has been an anticipation of the coming season which I've never felt as much before. The most obvious aspect to look out for is the fact adjustable differentials and suspensions systems are back. This means that engineers have much more freedom than the previous couple seasons with this generation of car. It also means you can totally transform a cars characteristics - look at the struggles of Mazda this season. That car was poor but the new tuning options mean that even a below-par default package can be made into a potential winner. Not forgetting either adjustable rear aerodynamics. This is a small change to cars, but with huge consequences.

How do you plan on bouncing back after two relatively poor seasons at the blue oval?
We enjoyed our time with Ford. On a personal level, I just couldn't get a grip of it. When I did finally last season there were changes in how parts worked and whilst the rest of the team adapted I couldn't. Not going to lie - it was more me not being able to get my head around the machinery. In many ways, it is a new start - for me at least because I know I have underperformed immensely in the past two seasons.

New car, and new team. How do you think the changes for this season will pan out for you?
We're very optimistic. We spent three fantastic seasons with Volvo with the C30 in the past and always worked very well. Whilst the S60 may on paper look worse - it's a heavier car, larger and less aerodynamic - it is really a step forward. The larger wheelbase gives us a degree of stability that we couldn't get in the Focus just down to design. Whilst it is heavier, it feels much more planted as a result. After just a couple afternoons shaking down the car I feel really comfortable in the car - it really feels like something I can drive and push to the limit with much easier.

As for the season - Nin will want to win but he has other obligations so won't be doing a full season. We've got a 4th driver working behind the scenes on developing the car, and Joe I am sure will bounce back. For me, top half of the grid is a must early on to get us clear of the top 12 cut off - that is always the initial goal. Then I’m sure there is a shot at podiums and wins towards seasons end.

How has the calendar taken shape for this season, and what new challenges do think it poses?
Well we've got three new tracks this season, but none are technically that "new". Cape Ring has been nearly all ToCA seasons, and the Southern layout has always produced some stunning racing. Monza's reprofiled. The first chicane sequence is now much harder. It is going to break the pack up, people will go off there but it will spread us out a little. And Bathurst is finally a stable event, after previous problems. 2 Hours, no pts at stake but for ToCA 2hrs is a marathon - that's 2 weeks’ worth of race distances. Certainly will be a unique event.

Anything else you would like to say ahead of this season?
Like to wish everyone good luck in all honesty. Whilst we all have had our disagreements and arguments in the past - it is all because we care about what we do and we try our very best. On track competition will be asfierce as ever - we just have to hope that we hit the ground running come Brands.

HSR-Renaultsport Back For T12
Silverstone International Circuit_8.jpg

Scania, we heard that you have extended your deal with Renault for ToCA, can you shed any light on this?

Yes. Back when Renault entered the ToCA Series back in Season 10 - we secured a Multiple Season Contract but do to the confidentiality of the contract; I can only say that we will be here this Season and cannot guarantee anything for the future. Renault is the only manufacturer to have offered the Multimillion Pound Deal which makes financial sense for the team - but their Renaultsport Megane really is a little gem, too, which is why we're running it again for the third Season in a row.

A week ago it was reported you had possibly got @@Andil and AudiMan for the Humberside team. Andil left soon after - what exactly caused this shock change of events?

Ever since the end of the Season 11, he has been saying that he really wanted to make a move to another car (either BMW or Volvo at the time) as coming from something like the Fiesta Cup - the Megane is like a land barge to him. But after our testing (and the premature death of the BMW), we felt the Renault was the best FWD Car and therefore due to this - we stayed with the Megane. Besides, the Megane is one of only a couple of cars that are Premium Models this Season - and I cannot stand driving the 5 Polygon Pieces of Cr*p any longer (in or out of ToCA).

Can we expect anything news wise from your camp soon?

Yes, the first bit of news is that my hand is healing well after the dog bit last Wednesday... Also, expect the full Team Announcement to be coming once we have all our drivers signed for the Season (we still have One Spot that we're finding someone to fill). Testing of the car is currently going very well - but I don't want to release too many details in the camp, yet!

FlyingFox announces that he has left Corvette Racing through mutual consent.

Further news from the world of WSC as one of our interviews sat down with seasoned veteran FlyingFox. His season In WSC has not gone to plan and with no sign of improvement from the team it left him with little choice but to leave.

"I'm saddened by my departure from Corvette Racing" said Fox, "We have had some success together but this season they just don't have the car to compete. That coupled with some really bad luck on GT-O has led me to rethink my future in WSC".

Fox added "I'm going back to the Shelby Daytona in GT-P but as far as going back to GT-O and Corvette, never say never"!

Today FlyingFox Systems revealed their new company logo. A spokesman for the company said "The timing could have not been better, new start in WSC, new logo".
Fox logo.png

What’s to come this week?

This week the ever intense racing that is the World Sportscar Championship visits the hills of Mount Panorama on Sunday. Will Jaguar dominate again? And can SnowCrash carry on his wake of GT-O wins? Buckle up Sheila! It’s gonna be a wild ride!
Mount-Panorama-GT6.jpg

Back