"Future" Poll

• Thread starter L28eT
  • 26 comments

What do you think will happen to Gran Turismo??

• Total voters
I was just wondering what every predicts will happen to/with Gran Turismo in the future...

Me? I think it will continue to DOMINATE the driving simulator category!! :dopey:

Well here it is :)

Thanks,

:bowdown:L28eT

Where's the option for "You use too many colors in your post" ? (:

I hope Gran Turismo gets some serious competition and is forced to innovate. Other than "more cars!" "more tracks!" "more detail!" what have they done?

LoudMusic

I hope Gran Turismo gets some serious competition and is forced to innovate. Other than "more cars!" "more tracks!" "more detail!" what have they done?

I agree.

in my openion, Gran Tourismo will have alot of hard competition from games dedicated to specific types of racing (NFSU-streetracing, F1 20XX-Formula One, GT Championship-speaks for its self, etc...).....i think it will still be quite popular though because of its wide spectrum of racing genres.....

man! why are you asking such a stupid question? the reason gran turismo has competition is because of its own sucess. before gt1, we were all sliding around corners in cartoon cars. the idea of racing ordinary production cars was a concept unique to gran turismo, now look how the racing genre has evolved since then. everybody wants to be like gran turismo, whether it be cars, tracks or realistic handling. there werent skylines in games until gran turismo, forza, enthusia, and pgr, are poor clones at best. gran turismo has been blazing a trail since its release and i expect it to do the same once the next generation of consoles arrive.

I only picked #1 because you know the next GT won't come out until like 2008 or something. There will be about fifty new racing games on all the consoles, and someone is bound to finally do a better job, even if by random chance or probability.

Sure GT5 (or Vision - whatever) will probably be great, but it will be YEARS before we see it. Sales will probably look like:

Competitor: 1 new game every year for 3 years, selling 4 million copies each year
GT5: One new game in 3-4 years, selling 10 million copies

In the business world, that's called LOSING to the competition because you couldn't get your product to market while the other guy was making money without you to compete with him.

Aw, I'm still just pissed because GT4 Mobile has disappeared from all the Sony sites, and was a no-show at E3.

With such a strong following and an already tweaked game physics, how could something new come and wipe it out? I think we're lookin at the next Microsoft here people. 👍

LoudMusic

Very true, they need some decent competition and hopefully that is around the corner... It certainly is not there with Forza. I spent a short while playing that one (demo) in a local supermarket and it was quite ordinary to say the least.

FWA2500
...(NFSU-streetracing, F1 20XX-Formula One, GT Championship-speaks for its self, etc...)
Those games aren’t in the same category of the GT4, GT4 is too generic to be compared to specific kind of racing games as F1 games, and NFSU is a arcade racing game not a simulation game.

maxter
Very true, they need some decent competition and hopefully that is around the corner... It certainly is not there with Forza. I spent a short while playing that one (demo) in a local supermarket and it was quite ordinary to say the least.
I don’t you spend enough time with Forza to say something like that, or it’s a personal opinion but Forza is a grate game with lots of features that we GT fans were asking for a lot of time. Of course Forza is not perfect but it’s features outnumber the flaws.

ZAGGIN
man! why are you asking such a stupid question? the reason gran turismo has competition is because of its own sucess. before gt1, we were all sliding around corners in cartoon cars. the idea of racing ordinary production cars was a concept unique to gran turismo, now look how the racing genre has evolved since then. everybody wants to be like gran turismo, whether it be cars, tracks or realistic handling. there werent skylines in games until gran turismo, forza, enthusia, and pgr, are poor clones at best. gran turismo has been blazing a trail since its release and i expect it to do the same once the next generation of consoles arrive.

:lol: PGR was purposefully an arcade game, in what way was it a clone other than it featuring cars which sometimes race?

So in that vein Splinter Cell is a clone of Wolfenstein 3D because it can involve shooting people.

I think GT will continue to dominate for sure. :cool:

To all the people talking of competitors, think of this. Yamouri has said himself that the game is not a racing game, it is a Driving Simulator . No other dompany seems to have the balls to take on PD in this area, and so there are not as yet any true competitors to the GT series.

IMO this is why the attention to realistic car handling and looks has been given so much attention, and less attention made to the AI (as we all know) - Driving Simulator not racing game...

The GT series has established itself as being THE best driving simulator around and knowone can damage that reputation except of course themselves which isnt likely.
Any new game tring to challenge GTs title will have no chance simply because of the time involved in making such a brilliant game.

:bowdown: Long live Gran turismo!!! :bowdown: 👍

LoudMusic

Well, I like to make my threads NOT look BORING :D

When I do a POST, I keep it normal, except when I post something that I want people to read I put lots o' COLOR...It gets their attention :D

When I do a thread, however, I like to make it look "Nice" :dopey:

Thanks,

Actually, GT will face some stiff competition but still do very well. Like Zaggin said, GT defined the genre, and all racing games will continue to be compared to Gran Turismo. GT will make them better, and they will make GT better. And that's a good thing for everyone.

T5-R
:lol: PGR was purposefully an arcade game, in what way was it a clone other than it featuring cars which sometimes race?

So in that vein Splinter Cell is a clone of Wolfenstein 3D because it can involve shooting people.

Good point 👍

They will have serious competition, but they won't have a hard time staying in business. I think GT5 will be a major improvement over GT4, I expect them to make decent use of the whole new world of power PS3 gives them. But the next Forza or Enthusia or ... will also be major improvements over their predecessors, possibly making it hard to say which one is the better game. If PD does it right, they can crush every other game with GT5, I know they have the talent and dedication to do that. But if GT5 lacks in some key areas (which I seriously doubt), the others will be quick to steal the crown. In any case it will be exciting to see how it unfolds. If all those games keep improving and learning from eachother, they will get closer and closer to the 'perfect' driving/racing simulation, and I love that thought. :)

I don't think GT5 will decide it. I think the one after GT5 will.

Since GT4 is very good even though there are some things that need serious tuning. It's still good and very viable.

GT5 will be a best seller just because it's GT on a new system(like GT3 on PS2). It's GT6 that will decide whether or not the GT series will stay at the top of the console racing sim category.

GT5 has to decide it, it's that simple. Other racers like Forza and Enthusia won't wait for GT6, if GT5 can't stand up to the other racers, it'll lose its place at the top, at least until GT6 arrives.

But the situation is different this time. When they released GT3, it didn't matter how good or bad it would be, there was no competition. Now there's serious competition, so they have to act accordingly. With GT5 they'll aim for a direct hit, no less.

But still, I understand what you're saying. The game we're all waiting for will probably be delivered with GT6 and no sooner. We've seen it with GT4, it takes years to get the best out of a system. But that didn't make GT3 any less great when it came out, the same will be true with GT5.

All very good points, but I think the one about GT6 being the key is correct.

With GT5 now doubt already deep into production, it may be too late to solve many of the "issues" we've come up with from GT4. We'll have to wait for GT6 (which PD are probably already thinking about and planning) for all of these problems to be solved.

I think GT5 being a big seller because it's the first on PS3 is a good point as well and probably quite accurate, and this leads to the fact that GT6 will indeed be the defining point... :)

ferrari_chris
...With GT5 now doubt already deep into production...

Yeah, way deep. In fact, we're all playing it. At the moment, though, we're playing it on the wrong platform.

Think of "Vision Gran Turismo" as "Gran Turismo 4 Unleashed". Bet the house: Bundled with the PS3 will be the very game we're playing, with all its many parameters opened up: 22-car fields on many tracks, the graphics engine freed of the restrictions they had to put on it for the old PS2, the real sound program, fully-animated backgrounds, the real AI engine implemented, online play, etc.

Down the road we'll see GT5. For the PS3 intro, we'll get the "real" version of GT4 when we buy the new console.

Hasn't it been previously mentioned that pretty much all of the tracks that were in GT3 had been widened in GT4? Maybe to accomodate larger fields?

Eventually, KY will give up on GT. It can't go on forever...

Yeah he'll pass it onto EA :lol: GT 2006, 2007, 2008... It would be like the past sequels, but the releases would be closer together :sly:

I just hope PD(Polophony Digital) realizes that Gran Turismo could lose its place if it doesn't put the time, dedication, and the smallest tweaks in to make it a better game...

Forza and all those other games have seen that possible gap and are ready to take on Gran Turismo...:(

Unfortunately for them, Gran Turismo still lies at the top:D

But only to a certain extent...of course, PD could change that!!💡
Gran Turismo 5 can RULE and completely DOMINATE over everyone else if they put those "little" tweaks, those 20 car races, those tracks, you know?

I only hope, again, that PD goes that "extra mile" and pummels Forza and all those other opposing games into the ground!! :) But of course, PD has probably already finished GT5 and is just tweaking it, We'll probably have to wait till GT6 ):

Then it can get started on Gran Turismo 6 with PS3 and REALLY DEMOLISH all other OPPOSING GAMES!! :sly:

:bowdown:Long Live Gran Turismo!!:bowdown:

Back