Gamecube or PS2...?

My b-day was yesterday and so far I have a total of 170 bucks...should I go ahead and get a Gamecube ot should I save for a little while and buy a PS2? My aunt and uncle might pay for the rest along with a game and memory card...if I get a PS2.

But they'll also buy me a memory card and game for GC if I buy one...I would only have 20 bucks so I wouldn't have anough to buy either...wait, I could buy a memory card... :P duh.

What do you guys think? I leave Thursday morning at eight (SOOOO early :( ) so tell me now...or should I just stick with my PSone and buy some more game and wait until they all drop to 100 bucks?

Personally I wouldn't get a GameCube. The controllers are wakko, the games are limited, and in a year or two no one will remember it. It also uses small disks so it can't be used as a CD or DVD player. It's JUST a game console. It does have four controller ports though - definite bonus.

The XBox is probably the most intelligent hardware. It has a built in hard drive, 100mbit network adapter, and four controller ports. But the game selection is small and rather expensive.

The PS2 has a HUGE game selection (for such a short time) that is well priced. Plus all the PS1 games. But you have to buy the addon hard drive, network card, and multitap (four controllers) for the console to be comparable to the XBox. That stuff together is the price of another console. It also has two USB ports which is REALLY cool. I've been using a USB optical mouse for Half-Life recently. And the various wheels plug into the USB port as well.

You also need to look at the game selection and see what kind of games you like. It might be that there are more games that you like available for one console than another. That definitely sways the vote.

I have a PS2 and about 9 games now. I like it a lot because I like Sony and I like the console. I would not buy an XBox because I don't want to support Microsoft and their evil ways (: (though it is the best console - with a limited game selection). And like I said, the GameCube has jacked up controllers - no thanks! - though I do like Nintendo, it's a good company.

~LoudMusic

The Graphics might be better on the GC, (and the xbox), but the PS2 has got the best games, and the most.

And the Gamecube can't play DVD's

Yeah...but I personally like GC yet I wanna have such games as GTA3, MG:SOL, and GT3 so its hard to choose.

But X-Box is outta the question...the controller is atrocious and and its made by Microsoft. Even if I bought the new "s" controller or whatever I still wouldn't be able to fully appreciate the system. And anyway, my computer is better than an X-Box and thats all Microsoft is trying to make it...a computer.

But I see your point Loud...VERY good game selection....and I could keep my PSone (road trips) and just buy a screen. But I can also get a screen for PS2...hmm...this involves some serious thought...

If you'll only get one console, make it a PS2 or Xbox. The GC isn't going to get lot's of big name titles, and I think the Internet service is going to be questionable.
If you really like the Nintendo titles then get it, but if it's the sports and other things that you really enjoy, go for a PS2 (which will have the most games)

Originally posted by Warped_Devotion
go with PS2. better game selection. and it's gonna have a 80 gig hard drive, ehernet port, LCD screen, mouse and keyboard.

80GB? Linux comes with a 40, so I don't think we'll get an 80 until A LOT more games come out! I have 2 80's in my computer I'm using right now, and 2 other 80's in my Dad's computer. And the stuff that uses up most of the size are the WinXP files, programs that we rarely use, and we have about 5-10 good games on the computer I'm using. I can see how, in the future, we could use up 40GB if we installed games, seeing that DVD disks are what, ~7.5GB on each side(if they do the dual-layered ones, if not, then they're only 4.5GB...), so if we had to install games, and used let's say, 5GB for each game, yeah that leaves space for 7 games and plenty of room for saved files. But keep this in mind, if we DO install games, count on Sony for not allowing a complete install. Otherwise they'd have 50 people playing a game from 1 disk, so still count on using at least 1 disk for each game, whenever you play it

Genocide

The Linux kit is only for people who are serious, or want to be serious, about programming in C, C++ or any of the other languages the PS2 processor runs. Yes, it could also double as a computer if you don't have a home computer, but then you still need to buy a monitor(and even if you have a monitor, you NEED TO MAKE SURE IT HAS THE SOG OPTION!) in order to install the OS. Then you can edit a file or two to make it run on your TV. However, it's always best to run computers on your computer monitor because of 2 things:

1) Resolution

TV's have horrible resolution compared to Computer monitors

Tv's are somewhere like 600x whereas computer monitors start at 800x600 and go all the way up to 1600x1200.

2) Refresh Rate

If you're in North America or Japan, you have a refresh rate of 60fps on your TV, Europe, Australia or NZ, you have 50(you can't tell the difference unless you have two TV's running side-by-side with high-speed objects going on them both)
Computer monitors go from 75hz(fps)-100hz.
This means that if you look at the TV too long while typing or working on things where you have to look at them pretty long, the TV will hurt your eyes faster than the computer.

I'm not sure how this differs with CRT's vs LCD's though, so maybe somebody else can pick up there...?

Only a Handful of titles will support of this prehiperial since only a few die-hard fans will have one.
And with that kind of piss poor support. It doesn't matter if the HD has 2,000 Terabytes. The games wont change at all.

Originally posted by Genocide
Only a Handful of titles will support of this prehiperial since only a few die-hard fans will have one.
And with that kind of piss poor support. It doesn't matter if the HD has 2,000 Terabytes. The games wont change at all.

THe FF series will support it, GTN will support it, and any game where online multiplayer in the future will most likley support it. I think I heard somewhere that the bundle(Ethernet & HDD) will be $100US? It's probably not the correct answer, but it should be close.

Mario Sunshine is making me seriously consider purchasing GC. Zelda in the future will be good too. And eventually there has to be Mario Kart on GC. I am thinking about resident evil too.

PS2 for mostly serious games, GC for fun games.

Originally posted by Warped_Devotion
go with PS2. better game selection. and it's gonna have a 80 gig hard drive, ehernet port, LCD screen, mouse and keyboard.

Let's see the checkoff list:

80 GB HDD- Questionable, I really doubt they'll have an 80
10/100 Ethernet Adapter- Available to Linux users, will come out in about a month
LCD Screen- Been out for a while
Mouse- Any USB mouse will do, so that's out in the market
Keyboard- Any USB keyboard will work.

*Users may not come back and sue me if they have products that do not work

The good points in getting a GC that I can see are: Nintendo's strong software support, Capcom's Resident Evil remakes, low price compared to other new gen systems.

Good points of PS2: bigger game library, you can watch DVD's, you can play PS1 games.

I have a PS2 so I've made my decision. But I might get a GC in the future too.

Just to make one thing sure though, either get a PS2 or XBox, don't get both, because most of the sports games and many good games will be on all 3 consoles.

I'd like to change my vote.

DON'T GET A CONSOLE AT ALL. It's a waste of time and money. Look at us, we're here chatting with a bunch of people we don't know about a stupid game that lasts mere months when we could be outside hitting baseballs with our buddies from high school.

BLECK! BURN THEM ALL!

~LoudMusic

:reallyodd OK....

He's probably already got a console anyway.

I didn't get either...:D

I have a new PC. And anyway, Loud is right. I love sports and here I am talking about video games. :P But it is 8:00 at nite.

This brings up a new topic...do you get outside enough? I know I do. I play baseball and football and basketball and have loads of friends and I'm one of the "popular" kids. Kinda' weird isn't it?

Originally posted by KosmikFool
I didn't get either...:D

I have a new PC. And anyway, Loud is right. I love sports and here I am talking about video games. :P But it is 8:00 at nite.

This brings up a new topic...do you get outside enough? I know I do. I play baseball and football and basketball and have loads of friends and I'm one of the "popular" kids. Kinda' weird isn't it?

See, you live in down south, right? I live in Minnesota, where it goes from -20 in the winters to 100 in the summers. That's the normal fluxuation. What does the south go from? About 60-110? Yeah, I play football and go biking when I can, other wise I'm stuck inside my house for half the year, waiting for the snow to go away. I can't ski or anything because there's no mountians around Minnesota, the closest are the Rockies. I also don't care for playing organized basketball, playing it at the park or at a friends is something different though.

Just be happy you live in a place where you can do something any time of the year, bro

Back