Votes: 2 6.9%
  • PS2

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • XBox

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don't know, they're all good...

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
I voted PS2, but I think this is a flawed question.
Who "won" in the last generation? You can make a case for playstation, but the most popular system is still the gameboy. Microsoft seems to have a compelling case, but how many people are going to pay a subscription to play on the net? Sony is bringng Linux to PS2 so there will be LOTS of stuff you can use. Gamecube will be cheap, and I may buy one if they have a good gave or three that I like.

The only real loser is Sega, and
The real winner is the consumer. This is one of the few high tech consumer markets that has some real, fierce competition. The products are being sold for WELL under what they could charge for them, and the variety is flowing. The industry is expanding, and the technology is driving other markets.

I personally would like to see nintendo rise back to prominence, and they might. The japanese business culture is so much different than the US that it will be interesting. This is the first time that the japanese have had a credible threat from the US in this market, and I hope they can cope for the sake of the consumer. Its going to be interesting.

In the major consoles, Sony won overall by a longshot. It had the longest run and it's still going. (there are still a few PS1 games coming that I want.) Nintendo Won if you were a kid that loved Pokemon (and there were alot of those)
As for the upcoming...
Xbox has raw power, and unlimited money, but will be shaky in the Japanese market who buy a heck of alot of video games. It also won't have all that many exclusive games that people care about.
Sony has the installed base, and enough backing, but a subpar processor compared to the other two. Too many add-ons could hurt it's credibilty as well. On the other hand, It has great in-house support, with Must have exclusive games (GT3, TMB etc...) It also has a 1 year jump on the competition, with some of it's biggest games coming out in the other 2 consoles infancy. (MGS, FFX etc) Oh, and the best controller thus far.
Nintendo is the one to watch though. It has a powerful processor, spectacular chip design (very little lag between processor and cache/buffers) and better texturing capabilities than the xbox. It also has the power of Pokemon (I don't mean just pokemon, it basically the entire children's market) and it also has Nintendo Exclusives. (Mario, DK, Metroid, Zelda etc etc)

Who is the winner? Us actually. I'm looking forward to this generation of games. For the first time (beginning with the Dreamcast) I read reviews that talk about how the arcade games pale in comparison to the home ports (Soul Calibur anyone?) I remember a time when they used to talk about arcade ports as though they were a waste of time because of the sacrifices that had to be made.
If you ask me, I hate microsoft. I've got a Sony, and I'll double up with the Nintendo. That should cover pretty much every good game that comes our way, and then some.
If you are going to buy the Xbox, wait a little and see. It's entirely based on components that can are or will be readily available. Take a look on the dark and shadowy areas of the net, and see if they come out with patches to play Xbox games on the PC within the first year. Sounds rediculous, but believe me that the pirates are faster than the corporations.

I just think sony has grabed the market first, therefore making everyone else look like copy cats. No one wants to own a copy cat. Plus Sony has all those games already, not just PS2 games but all of PS1 games!! :D I am sticking with playstation. Maybe I feel loyal in some way!! :D

I dont think that the X-box is even 128bit, the graphics look 2 good. Maybe Mircosoft put a ge-force 3 in the X-box?

And i hate the way how the controller has elements from the N64 , Dual Shock, and Dreamcast controllers!

May i just put in the info here.
On spec X-box has it on pentium and others but PS2 has the reputation. On past performance Nintend has it due to the graphics being so much better on the N64 than the PS1. However Ps2 also had the sponsers and games, but the deciding factor is probly loyalty factor plus the reputation. I think prics has nothing to do with it because theyre gonna compete with prices which will go down.
Can i just say i got my PS2 for £200 on the day it came out from Special reserve (www.ukgames.com). Im gonna also buy the X-box because i think microsoft will put im millions into making this a serious competiter and will probly come out on top.

wow thats a long post!

im kinda scared of the x-box. :( they have more than 30 gb in that thing. and have yall compared game pics to the ps2. x-box's are more smooth and colorful. i dont know, i already spent $350 on my PS2 and im happy. they have the best lineup of games by far. but x-box might start off slow but give it 2-3 years and you will see some big changes. i mean bill gates yeah i said BILL GATES mr. BILLIONAIRE is backing this up. watch, microsoft is THE BIGGEST ELECTRONIC company w/ THE MOST MONEY. something good is gonna happen soon for x-box. but dont get me wrong, i have the PS2'S back 100%!!!!!:D

Originally posted by Lancer evo 19
Nintend has it due to the graphics being so much better on the N64 than the PS1.

Thats cuz the N64 was 64bit and the PS1 was 32bit, and i hate the way in Electronic Gaming Monthly they compare the PS1's graphics to those of the Dreamcast, the Sega system has 4 times as many bits as the PS1 so of course its gonna have better graphics!

Established name and brand, and a great list of games.

Add in a lot of anti MS sentiment...

Not including DVD was also a mistake...

Atari and Comadore really made gaming big back in the early 80s, but it was Nintendo battling with Sega in the late 80s that made gaming what it is today. Unfortunately I don't think either of these two are going to make it though to the next generation. They've both been left in the dust of the 'big money companies', Microsoft, Sony, and possibly even Apple (who is pushing big for Mac games, and has the money to buy support from vendors).

I don't think it's really fair to compare the PS1 to the N64. The PS1 came out YEARS before the N64. If you're going to compare, put the PS1 up against the Super Nintendo. What do you see there? The PS1 is bad ass! Like someone else has mentioned, Sony also has staying power. Sony has a great history of making wonderful products, and backing their products 100%. They also know how to treat their customers, and cater to them. The fact that the the PS2 is 'backwards compatible' really helps too. Basically the PS2 was released with all the game titles from the PS1. If we could get Sony to strike a deal with all the game vendors and start selling those PS1 games in bundles on DVDs for cheap, the PS2 would be unstoppable. They could probably get 10 to 15 games on one disk, then sell the disk for $50. Dude, that would rock!

~LoudMusic

If we could get Sony to strike a deal with all the game vendors and start selling those PS1 games in bundles on DVDs for cheap, the PS2 would be unstoppable. They could probably get 10 to 15 games on one disk, then sell the disk for $50. Dude, that would rock!

Dude man! Now thats a great idea. That would be the sh**. :D

Here's what my 3 thoughts are on the subject.
1) X-Box is a computer, plays computer games, just has 4 game pads and a TV jack. If you want the X-Box, get a computer where you can upgrade easily and don't have to use Microsoft's internet.

2) Nintendo only will ever have 1 good system out, the 8-bit Nintendo. I still play mine, havn't touched my SNES for many years. Besides, you won't be able to play games on 3 different cartriges on the GameCube

3) Sony needs to get some games out in the US BEFORE JAPAN! They spoil Japan, lets get some games out here first, other than the sport games(football, basketball, hockey, and olympics are the only ones). The winner though is Sony because of 2 things

A) They already have established a platform, and things can only get better because they've shown the worst when we had to wait for the 1 year delay of GT3,
and
B) You can play the older, regular PSX games like Paraper the Rapper(only played the demo) and GT, GT2, and all the RE games.

Here's what the shopping guide should be:
Microsoft- Dell computer(Microsoft still gets practically ALL the money because of the programs)
Nintendo- NES(nothing really beats those games, even PS2, but they stopped the production, those idiots...)
Sony- PS2(got DVD, a new processor, and the old PSX in it)

Thankyou.

I WANT MY MONEY NOW!!!

*ow! Quit throing pennies at me!

Lets put it tis way.

Nintendo have a reputation for reliability as the cartridge system on any console have never seen to break down. I have always thought of nintendo making the most effort to please their customers

Playstation are not reliable as such (my first PS2 sratched my games) but they have a constant quality and a lot of game producers are releasing their games as they have the reputation among the people.

Microsoft have all the money. They are likely to use this money to buy producers so some good games might be released. The problem is that microsoft have a bad history of reliability, their programmes quite often have bugs which are simple.

Time will tell on which one is the better console!

Back