Gamers/Streamers Swatting Megathread

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 261 comments
Odd... military training beat it into me that someone simply being armed isn't sufficient justification for the use of deadly force, let alone just assumed to be armed. You need to know they're armed and be pretty damn certain that they're intending to use it.

Odd... military training beat it into me that someone simply being armed isn't sufficient justification for the use of deadly force, let alone just assumed to be armed. You need to know they're armed and be pretty damn certain that they're intending to use it.
There is a huge difference between the military and police though. Honestly, the US police system needs to be completely revamped. But, that is a debate for a different thread.

I wasn't there of course but i find it astonishing that the person who was shot was reasonably considered to be a threat.

...especially when you're in someone's house, where they're legally allowed to have guns on their person in the open.

...especially when you're in someone's house, where they're legally allowed to have guns on their person in the open.
Sure, but, the cops arent responding to a "dude sitting is his chair playing video games" call. They come in charged and ready for whatever situation that was called in. I am not trying to excuse a shooting, but rather try to get unto the head space of a cop or swat agent in these situations. They have no idea what they are about to engage and thus they are prepared for the worst case scenario. Their actions speak of that. And a lack of training in escalation of force.

Sure, but, the cops arent responding to a "dude sitting is his chair playing video games" call. They come in charged and ready for whatever situation that was called in. I am not trying to excuse a shooting, but rather try to get unto the head space of a cop or swat agent in these situations. They have no idea what they are about to engage and thus they are prepared for the worst case scenario. Their actions speak of that. And a lack of training in escalation of force.

I'd heard of "swatting" before. I'm sure that swat teams had heard of it before. They should know that they might be getting pranked as well. They need to be prepared for worst case, but also prepared for nothing. The presence of a gun in someone's home should not trigger "go time" in the head of the police. It's someone's home.

I'd heard of "swatting" before. I'm sure that swat teams had heard of it before. They should know that they might be getting pranked as well. They need to be prepared for worst case, but also prepared for nothing. The presence of a gun in someone's home should not trigger "go time" in the head of the police. It's someone's home.
There is a huge difference between the military and police though. Honestly, the US police system needs to be completely revamped. But, that is a debate for a different thread.

Police are supposed to protect their own people, shouldn't they be expecting people to be 'good' and be damn sure before they change that default stance. Even more so then a soldier?

Now the swatting case is a bit diffeent off coarse... :P

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
I don't understand this comment.

The people who were playing the stupid game (the swatters) didn't win the stupid prize of being shot to death. Instead they donated it to a stranger who I'm not sure was even armed or reaching for a weapon when the police came calling.

How does that fix anything? The guy who was killed wasn't playing with anyone. He just opened his door.
I messed up the analogy badly. What I meant is that because you have stupid people who think swatting is funny, you are sadly at risk until they are weeded out.

I messed up the analogy badly. What I meant is that because you have stupid people who think swatting is funny, you are sadly at risk until they are weeded out.

Glad you cleared it up. I agree it'd be nice, but as long as games exist, people will seemingly take it too far. Also by extension, as long as there is an ability to cause a disturbance for those who are in the view of the public, people will do this. If your a streamer with an audience of a thousand or more, or a well known celeb, this level of trolling will continue.

Glad you cleared it up. I agree it'd be nice, but as long as people exist, people will seemingly take it too far. Also by extension, as long as there is an ability to cause a disturbance for those who are in the view of the public, people will do this. If your a streamer with an audience of a thousand or more, or a well known celeb, this level of trolling will continue.
Ftfy. Definitely not a gaming phenomena. People have been flinging crap at each other since forever.

Ftfy. Definitely not a gaming phenomena. People have been flinging crap at each other since forever.

Obviously, and it doesn't need any fixing considering I broaden the scope to people in general in that same post you just quoted.

Online gaming seems to have made this act occur more often, which is why I use games as the talking point foremost. However, I note that outside games (celebrities ), people are still attacked by other ill minded people.

If its clearly a people problem, why narrow it again by adding celebraties in parenthesis?

If its clearly a people problem, why narrow it again by adding celebraties in parenthesis?

Because celebrities have been swatted...in other words it is an example to show that you don't need to game to be a victim of it. Simply being someone who garners the attention of a group of people could cause you to be swatted.

Disappointing that I don't see any manslaughter charges in there.

Barriss is already being tried for manslaughter by the state.
Wichita Eagle
The 29-page indictment was unsealed Wednesday in U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas. It charges 25-year-old Tyler Barriss, who is facing state court charges including involuntary manslaughter, with false information and hoaxes, cyberstalking, threatening to kill another or damage property by fire, interstate threats, conspiracy and several counts of wire fraud, according to federal court records.

At the moment I believe that swatting can only carry a maximum term of 20-25 years in gaol. There are calls to change this to life imprisonment in cases of swatting that result in deaths.

Didn't he get 20-25 because he was convicted on all of those additional charges as well? My understanding is that that single swatting incident could only yield 11 years max?

"It seems likely that these new charges will be included in the federal case that Barriss faces in Kansas, where he is accused of involuntary manslaughter, which carries a maximum sentence of 11 years."

Didn't he get 20-25 because he was convicted on all of those additional charges as well? My understanding is that that single swatting incident could only yield 11 years max?

"It seems likely that these new charges will be included in the federal case that Barriss faces in Kansas, where he is accused of involuntary manslaughter, which carries a maximum sentence of 11 years."

Still a world of difference from a life sentence though.

Back