GARAGE CARS WIPED OUT AFTER UPDATE 1.14

• Thread starter GTVegan
  • 64 comments
United States
United States
Turned on the game after last night's update to find all my garage cars gone with the exception of those made available through the Collector's Edition. Well done, Polyphony! You've made your last $60 off me; will never buy another game from this company.

Has anyone else had this issue happen? I haven't loaded up the game so I'm not sure on my end, but if you are the only one, I'm not sure id hold it against PD either. Crap happens, thats why backing up your data is a thing to do.

Thanks for the wisdom, McLaren. Corporations don't have enough folks sticking up for them.

So long as something is saved locally, which your cars and media are, corrupt saves will always be a threat... because that's how memory works... If you have never encountered a corrupt save before, then I understand the frustration... BUT, just back everything up in future. It'll save you a lot of stress.

Turned on the game after last night's update to find all my garage cars gone with the exception of those made available through the Collector's Edition. Well done, Polyphony! You've made your last $60 off me; will never buy another game from this company.

if you have ps plus you can probably download a backup of your save from the sony servers through the ps4 settings unless you specifically turned off that feature. maybe it will be a day or two old so you might lose a small amount of progress

Has anyone else had this issue happen? I haven't loaded up the game so I'm not sure on my end, but if you are the only one, I'm not sure id hold it against PD either. Crap happens, thats why backing up your data is a thing to do.

it happened to me last patch so i did the above. youre right though, these things happen .. i doubt PD want peoples saves to get ruined either

It may not be PD fault, but it is kind of your fault because you should have done a backup save on a daily basis. You should have save it onto a online storage or to a USB, just relying an in game save to the server is very risky, because you never know if there is going to be and problem with that save, and it is better to be safe than sorry.

It may not be PD fault, but it is kind of your fault because you should have done a backup save on a daily basis. You should have save it onto a online storage or to a USB, just relying an in game save to the server is very risky, because you never know if there is going to be and problem with that save, and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah right because we have nothing better to do than doing daily backups of our PS4s and PD surely can't afford a person in the QA department to check whether they don't screw the saves when rolling out an update.
To be honest I am not sure whether your post is meant seriously or as some kind of twisted satire.

Yeah right because we have nothing better to do than doing daily backups of our PS4s and PD surely can't afford a person in the QA department to check whether they don't screw the saves when rolling out an update.
To be honest I am not sure whether your post is meant seriously or as some kind of twisted satire.

If you have ever seen a game that saves locally where it is impossible to get a corrupt save, then I'd love to read about this technical marvel

Its really easy to blame PDs QA until you realise that corrupt saves are literally an industry wide issue

If you have ever seen a game that saves locally where it is impossible to get a corrupt save, then I'd love to read about this technical marvel

Its really easy to blame PDs QA until you realise that corrupt saves are literally an industry wide issue

Then this industry is seriously flawed, because then apparently they don't give a crap.
No one can tell me that this is the way it should be, even from a purely economic standpoint this is complete nonsense: millions of people wasting time on doing backups vs. a handful of people checking whether the updates don't screw the saves.
Except when in your view the economy stops at the publisher's doorstep and our time is worth nothing - an utterly unacceptable view in my opinion.

Then this industry is seriously flawed, because then apparently they don't give a crap.
No one can tell me that this is the way it should be, even from a purely economic standpoint this is complete nonsense: millions of people wasting time on doing backups vs. a handful of people checking whether the updates don't screw the saves.
Except when in your view the economy stops at the publisher's doorstep and our time is worth nothing - an utterly unacceptable view in my opinion.

The update didn't screw the save, he turned his PS4 off, or quit the game when it was saving, the update is just a co-incidence.

digital stuff is lost if it gets corrupted or damaged and there's no backups, so you should make backups every so often, in fact you don't even have to if you have ps plus since the playstation does it automatically. it's a computer problem not a gaming problem. unexpected data loss threatens every industry that uses a computer, which is every industry, which is why they all use backups. this is like getting angry at a pair of shoes because they wont tie themselves

There will always be people who understand that making a bug-free game is simply impossible. And things like this happen. And than you have people who always want everything for free in life. And its always others to blame but themselves when something goes wrong.

Thats just like real life I guess...

There will always be people who understand that making a bug-free game is simply impossible. And things like this happen. And than you have people who always want everything for free in life. And its always others to blame but themselves when something goes wrong.

Thats just like real life I guess...

Like the OP said: Corporations don't have enough folks sticking up for them.

Yes, it probably is hard and not economical to make a 100% bug free game.
No, it is not hard to have sufficient testing and checks to prevent screwing a save game when doing an update, especially compared to coercing millions of users to make daily backups to be safe. What do you think is going to take less time? A handful of people properly testing the update or millions of people doing daily backups!?

digital stuff is lost if it gets corrupted or damaged and there's no backups, so you should make backups every so often, in fact you don't even have to if you have ps plus since the playstation does it automatically. it's a computer problem not a gaming problem. unexpected data loss threatens every industry that uses a computer, which is every industry, which is why they all use backups. this is like getting angry at a pair of shoes because they wont tie themselves

In the business world backups are used because the stakes when losing data are much higher, not because the probability of losing data is even remotely as high as what has been reported here with dozens of people losing their save game data after the last update on this board alone.
If a software company pulled some crap like that with data being corrupted during an update at the level this is appearing here they would be dead, no matter whether their customers could restore the data from a backup or not.

No, it is not hard to have sufficient testing and checks to prevent screwing a save game when doing an update

Ugh. The update didn't cause this, the OP turned his PS4 off or closed the game during saving.

Do you seriously think if the update caused corrupt saves that only 1 person would be on here complaining since the update?

He's an anomaly that happened to corrupt his save the day before the update... The other 99.9% of us are fine.

If you have PS plus do not set it automatically upload , save it by doing a manual save it is better that way, because if there is a problem with your in game save, well you may have a problem with you backup save on PS plus.

This thread is hilarious. Anything can get corrupted. Your ps4 could crash tomorrow and saves can be corrupted. You're playing video games anyway, so if you have time for that and are worried about losing your stuff, you can take 60 seconds to upload your save to the cloud or throw it on a usb. Things can get corrupted in more than way.

It's amazing to see the amount of defensiveness and apologist attitudes towards PD being displayed in this thread. Corrupt save files are not normal! I've been playing console games since the NES and I've only ever experienced one corrupt save (Infamous).

We're not talking about the power going out while it's saving. There is a whole thread of people whose entire progress has been deleted, with no seeming direct user cause. Just random data corruption. This is simply unacceptable, especially for a first-party studio.

You do that do you? Manual back ups after every session?
I have been playing GT since inception and I have never done this. I have never done this for any game ever since PS1. I have never had a problem until yesterday after the update. First I had the "cannot retrieve Bop" error then the cars missing error and as of now all I get is a spinning loading wheel once I try to go into sports mode.

It's amazing to see the amount of defensiveness and apologist attitudes towards PD being displayed in this thread. Corrupt save files are not normal! I've been playing console games since the NES and I've only ever experienced one corrupt save (Infamous).

We're not talking about the power going out while it's saving. There is a whole thread of people whose entire progress has been deleted, with no seeming direct user cause. Just random data corruption. This is simply unacceptable, especially for a first-party studio.

Anecdotal evidence does not make a case against something that is present in an industry. Sucks for OP, but he had the means to prevent this. This is essentially crying over spilt milk. And saying “corporations don’t have enough people defending them” sounds like something an edgelord on Reddit would say.

Stuff happens, that’s why you try to prepare for it.

You do that do you? Manual back ups after every session?
I have been playing GT since inception and I have never done this. I have never done this for any game ever since PS1. I have never had a problem until yesterday after the update. First I had the "cannot retrieve Bop" error then the cars missing error and as of now all I get is a spinning loading wheel once I try to go into sports mode.
Yes to your question 👍.

Anecdotal evidence does not make a case against something that is present in an industry. Sucks for OP, but he had the means to prevent this. This is essentially crying over spilt milk. And saying “corporations don’t have enough people defending them” sounds like something an edgelord on Reddit would say.

Stuff happens, that’s why you try to prepare for it.

I'm not debating the precautions against data loss. Obviously this is necessary since PD seems to not give af about people's entire progress being wiped out. But as someone who does coding work, this is not just "something that happens". There are ways to protect data when saving, including saving to a temp file and verifying the integrity of the data on that file before replacing the old one. That's why this seemingly widespread problem is so egregious -- because it's entirely preventable.

In 20 years of playing playstation Ive never had a save corrupt on me, Ive even had a memory card go through the wash and it was fine, so I think its entirely ok for people to get annoyed when it happens, but not to the point where you have to back up everything, thats what PS Plus is for.

I'm not debating the precautions against data loss. Obviously this is necessary since PD seems to not give af about people's entire progress being wiped out. But as someone who does coding work, this is not just "something that happens". There are ways to protect data when saving, including saving to a temp file and verifying the integrity of the data on that file before replacing the old one. That's why this seemingly widespread problem is so egregious -- because it's entirely preventable.

Unfortunately it's not entirely preventable at all. You can do your utmost to produce failsafe code, but there will always be a "never happen" scenario that reveals a bug. Add to that that even if you covered all bases and your code is perfect, then you're still relying on the fact that the OS and kernel programmers have also done their job, and then they're relying on the RAID controller and disk/SSD firmware being perfect as well. Also for large scale deployments you'll have extra layers of complexity such as de-duplication that has serious implications for data integrity if that bugs out.

And that's just inside a closed system. Add networking/internet into the equation and then you're also relying on the guys that write the router firmware / server software, and your save file may pass through several different routers/servers on the way to Sony.

Oh, and then there's hardware, which can and does fail on a regular basis, and not always in an immediately apparent fashion

To be honest it's a wonder that all this can work in the first place.

It's unfortunate, but you, as the data owner, have to take responsibility for it. In my time I've seen many businesses collapse simply because they suffered data loss and their backup strategy was inadequate, or non existent. Also in the last few years I've seen peoples lives torn asunder through the simple fact that they dropped their smartphone in the toilet and didn't have a backup of the data.

Something similar happened to me a couple of patches ago with my replays and scapes.
I'm 100% positive I exited the game properly without interrupting the save.

Anyway, I wanted to ask: how do I backup the save data? I've never done this before?

Wipeout! Sorry, that's legit the first thing that popped into my head upon seeing this thread.

Back