Gear.Club Unlimited 2 Coming to Switch By End of 2018

Quite an unexpected surprise this one is, and while the original wasnt exactly spectacular, it was still pretty serviceable, i'm curious to see how this new one will fare!

Last edited:
If this one ends up being decent, I might actually get myself the Switch.

Would be funny if TDU3 will also have a Switch port later on. But then, whenever TDU3 is coming?.. Hopefully my grandchildren would still be alive by the time TDU3 is gonna get announced.

The original was okay. Wonder how this one will turn out given that it's console first instead of being based on a phone game.

Nintendo, somehow, has not had a successful lineup of racing games outside of the Mario Kart series. I am not going to debate about whether or not to be excited for this sequel, but it is surely good to see a more than decent lineup of racing games- especially exclusive ones- for Nintendo and its Switch. I'd say I would be intrigued by seeing this deal. I, too, am surprised a sequel to this game would be released so soon, because it wasn't too long ago that the first Gear.Club was released for the Switch.

Maybe one day, Nintendo will have its most solid exclusive racing/driving game outside of the Mario Kart series. Until then, enjoy (or try to) games like this upcoming Gear.Club sequel.

This and The Crew 2 are the only recent games I know of to have both Ruf and Porsche. It's cool that we're seeing Porsche in more games but I wish we had more games where Ruf and Porsche coexist as both have some pretty cool cars in their own right.

Of all the racing games Switch got this...
Switch really need more racing games It have everything needed for console quality racing on the go,imagine Most Wanted 2005 on the go or TDU1 and 2.
Im surprised barely any racing games announced for Switch.

Of all the racing games Switch got this...
Switch really need more racing games It have everything needed for console quality racing on the go,imagine Most Wanted 2005 on the go or TDU1 and 2.
Im surprised barely any racing games announced for Switch.

The triggers on the Joy-Con (and by extension, the Switch Pro Controller) are digital instead of analogue, so it’s pretty hard to modulate throttle and brake considering that the trigger is essentially a big on/off switch. This may turn developers away.

Plus, you need to remember that while the Switch is pretty powerful for what it is, it’s still pretty weak compared to a base PS4 or Xbox One.

Dont get why this game is the only one with the 675LT in it..... want to drive that in Motorsport 7 haha :crazy:
I was just thinking that PD could learn something about crafting a desirable car list from these people! P1, 675LT, Zonda, 918 - why are these all still missing from GTS?

Now, I may not have a Swich, nor may I be thinking of getting a Switch anytime soon,

But I do support the idea of both Porsche and Ruf being able to race eachother.
Now where's the game that has both a new-935 and a new-CTR in it?

Dont get why this game is the only one with the 675LT in it..... want to drive that in Motorsport 7 haha :crazy:

Real racing 3 has it. It's actually one of the few cars in RR3 that I own because they gave it for free. Otherwise I'd have to spend $20 real world dollars or grind for 40 hours :lol: That's RR3 for you. Shame because the car and track list in RR3 are absolutely STELLAR and keeps getting better. Graphics are also great for a mobile game. Shame the gameplay is pretty awful though. The way the cars slide is embarrassingly bad.

The triggers on the Joy-Con (and by extension, the Switch Pro Controller) are digital instead of analogue, so it’s pretty hard to modulate throttle and brake considering that the trigger is essentially a big on/off switch. This may turn developers away.

Plus, you need to remember that while the Switch is pretty powerful for what it is, it’s still pretty weak compared to a base PS4 or Xbox One.

That's not an issue since the right analog stick has always been the best way to control throttle and brakes. The dualshock 4 triggers only have a resolution of 16, while the analogs have 512 from end to end. Meaning you get 16 times more precise control over both throttle and breaks by setting it to the right analog.

But honestly, with a total simcade like this, I'm not sure you'll even need the extra control but the fact remains, right analog is completely superior throttle/brake to triggers.

That's not an issue since the right analog stick has always been the best way to control throttle and brakes.
As much as I speak my personal preference here, I personally dislike having acceleration and brake on one axis (this is also my massive gripe with xinput). And I find triggers feeling better as pedal inputs than the stick. However if DS4's triggers have worse sensors than these of analog sticks, that's a shame. :(

As much as I speak my personal preference here, I personally dislike having acceleration and brake on one axis (this is also my massive gripe with xinput). And I find triggers feeling better as pedal inputs than the stick. However if DS4's triggers have worse sensors than these of analog sticks, that's a shame. :(

It's not the DS4's triggers, it's all triggers basically. Xbox controllers are no different. If you hook them up to certain games or profilers on PC, it shows you the exact numbers while you're calibrating the sticks or triggers. it goes 0-16 for triggers, and 0 to 256 or -256 on the analog sticks.

And in even in a forgiving sim like GT, that level of throttle control is really needed. Especially if you race without TCS which frankly you should most of the time because of how much slower it makes you with most cars.

When anyone gets a steering wheel, they're more comfortable with the controller at first, but they commit to getting used to the wheel because it's much more precise, realistic and enjoyable. I don't think switching to the right analog stick is much different. Since it's so much more precise, getting used to it makes it so much more enjoyable because the difference in control is so profound.

I'd say that kind of massive advantage is worth getting used to if you're playing a sim. Especially something like Assetto Corsa or even GT.

With Gear Club Unlimited, I'm not so sure it's that important though maybe it is because I can tell you from experience, it made a MASSIVE difference in Driveclub. Before I got a wheel for PS4, and before Driveclub got an update to allow using the right analog for throttle/brake, I had to use the triggers. But as soon as they dropped that update, I immediately noticed a huge difference and was 1 second faster per lap easily right off the bat. So maybe it'll also benefit Gear Club if they allow it. They better or I'm gonna be pissed. Like you said before, the Joycon's triggers are on/off buttons and are terrible for racing games.

Does anyone have Gear.Club Unlimited on the Switch that can tell me if it allows you to map the throttle/brake to the right analog stick?

It's not the DS4's triggers, it's all triggers basically. Xbox controllers are no different. If you hook them up to certain games or profilers on PC, it shows you the exact numbers while you're calibrating the sticks or triggers. it goes 0-16 for triggers, and 0 to 256 or -256 on the analog sticks.
Maybe it's a Windows driver thing? The telemetry HUD in PCARS2 on PS4 clearly demonstrates the DS4's triggers are more precise than that. Precise enough to reliably read one pixel's difference, which suggests a resolution of at least 128, given the size of the throttle input indicator.

As for your question, @TomBrady, it appears you get a choice of ZR or A. I don't have GCU, but I wouldn't expect it to demand precise throttle control. It was a mobile game, after all.

I'd use the right stick for any racing game on the Switch that really benefits from or needs the extra control. Maybe GCU2 will. I prefer triggers because otherwise your thumb is occupied away from the face buttons, but I also don't mind the throttle and brake sharing an axis, because I don't left-foot brake in a real car or with a wheel.

If you hook them up to certain games or profilers on PC
Which ones? The default Windows calibration means show that triggers operate nice and smoothly all across their respective axes. And they also feel as smooth in games I tried with DS4.
Personally, I'd take triggers over an analog stick any day, not only because I like "left-foot braking" in video games, but also because I have a hard time getting used to analog sticks in general, to the point that sometimes I switch to D-pad just because it feels more comfortable for me. But then, I grew up using PS Digital Controller so often, I'd often end up neglecting analog sticks during my switch to DualShock. And I'd say DualShocks' convex sticks didn't help me adjust to them any bit (major thanks to Sony for giving DS4's sticks with a rim at the edges, they feel so much better to use thanks to it). My point here is, if I'd be given an option to use right analog stick for gas and braking as the only analog mean, I'd most likely stick to buttons, as they would feel less awkward to me.

Maybe it's a Windows driver thing? The telemetry HUD in PCARS2 on PS4 clearly demonstrates the DS4's triggers are more precise than that. Precise enough to reliably read one pixel's difference, which suggests a resolution of at least 128, given the size of the throttle input indicator.

As for your question, @TomBrady, it appears you get a choice of ZR or A. I don't have GCU, but I wouldn't expect it to demand precise throttle control. It was a mobile game, after all.

I'd use the right stick for any racing game on the Switch that really benefits from or needs the extra control. Maybe GCU2 will. I prefer triggers because otherwise your thumb is occupied away from the face buttons, but I also don't mind the throttle and brake sharing an axis, because I don't left-foot brake in a real car or with a wheel.

That doesn't mean anything though. Even using the X button will appear to have smooth throttle input in most games, that doesn't mean the button is pressure sensitive. It's on and off yet shows progressive throttle input.

The telemetry is just showing the throttle response, not the precise input. It's not hard for them to make it look smooth even if its not.

That doesn't mean anything though. Even using the X button will appear to have smooth throttle input in most games, that doesn't mean the button is pressure sensitive. It's on and off yet shows progressive throttle input.

The telemetry is just showing the throttle response, not the precise input. It's not hard for them to make it look smooth even if its not.
There is no throttle/brake dampening with analog inputs in PCARS2, and input dampening would not explain the ability to increase the throttle very slowly.

Latest Posts

Back