Gear.Club Unlimited 2 Hands-On Preview

WHHHAAAATTT??? Grid Autosport is coming to Switch? It's about time. I heard they ported it to iphone and it pissed me off that they hadn't put it on Android or switch. I might just get the first Gear Club for half price to hold me over because I'm really annoyed that 2 is $60 on the eshop but $50 on amazon, and even worse is the fact they haven't improved the handling. If improving handling isn't a priority in a racing game, the dev's are idiots. Especially when the handling is piss poor.

If improving handling isn't a priority in a racing game, the dev's are idiots. Especially when the handling is piss poor.
I'm pretty sure Eden didn't really have an idea of what they should be doing since they've started working on TDU2, a game notorious for being a sequel to the game that had nearly perfect simcade physics but didn't inherit these, going for some weird crap instead.

I'm pretty sure Eden didn't really have an idea of what they should be doing since they've started working on TDU2, a game notorious for being a sequel to the game that had nearly perfect simcade physics but didn't inherit these, going for some weird crap instead.

Definitely. Don't know what happened to them but you're 100% right. TDU had absolutely brilliant simcade handling, TDU 2 was ruined by its somehow worse handling. Guess I shouldn't be surprised but I was really hoping they'd improve things with this one but the fact they didn't even try to improve the handling is inexcusable. They just lost my $60. Never should've had it in the first place frankly but I'm dying for a realistic racing game on Switch. Shame Grid Autosport will probably take forever to release because Feral sucks (they were supposed to put it out on Android over a year ago) but it'll be worth the wait.

For the record, apparently GCU and GCU2 are being made by people who worked on TDU2 specifically, while the people who worked on TDU are now Ivory Tower and are behind The Crew and The Crew 2. Sadly I cannot confirm this as I don't feel like reading and analyzing credits of all six games just for the sake of this statement, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

For the record, apparently GCU and GCU2 are being made by people who worked on TDU2 specifically, while the people who worked on TDU are now Ivory Tower and are behind The Crew and The Crew 2. Sadly I cannot confirm this as I don't feel like reading and analyzing credits of all six games just for the sake of this statement, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That does actually make sense although, the Crew 1 and 2 aren't much better. Frankly I think TDU 2 had more individuality between the car models than the Crew but it's handling in general was really wonky especially at low speeds. Shame because TDU 1 really is brilliant.

Without a revision to the physics, and with that uninspiring list of cars, I'm thinking there's little reason not to just stick with Horizon Chase Turbo. :indiff:

I'd like to support Eden for developing an exclusive racing game for the Switch, but if I'm going to play a game with a merely "acceptable" handling model, I'd like to at least be able to have an emotional connection to the car I'm driving.

You know what I'm a bit annoyed with this preview now. It claims there's no difference in car handling to the first game and that the developer didn't even try to improve it but I've heard from other reviews that say the handling is one of the few things they did improve. Now, they don't say it's anything revolutionary, but they did say it is clearly improved and judging by their footage, it seems improved to me.

I didn't buy Gear Club Unlimited 2 because of this preview saying there was no improvement to handling.

Especially when it comes to something like handling, you need to be precise because it's a huge part of any racing game. Even arcade racing games like this.

I'm still half thankful and glad I didn't spend my money on it but I still think it's wrong to ignore even minor improvements to something that important.

You know what I'm a bit annoyed with this preview now. It claims there's no difference in car handling to the first game and that the developer didn't even try to improve it but I've heard from other reviews that say the handling is one of the few things they did improve. Now, they don't say it's anything revolutionary, but they did say it is clearly improved and judging by their footage, it seems improved to me.

I didn't buy Gear Club Unlimited 2 because of this preview saying there was no improvement to handling.

Especially when it comes to something like handling, you need to be precise because it's a huge part of any racing game. Even arcade racing games like this.

I'm still half thankful and glad I didn't spend my money on it but I still think it's wrong to ignore even minor improvements to something that important.

A review will go up soon that goes into a bit more detail. All I can say is, I don't feel the handling has changed, and what nuanced differences other people are noticing, well, I haven't. I was also told by a Microids representative that an improvement in physics was not a focus for GCU2.

If you feel encouraged by reports about the handling in other impressions, pick the game up.

Hey gt planet I was going to make a new thread. So gear club unlimited 2 is on console Xbox and PlayStation. Has anyone played it on console and on a pad? What are peoples thoughts on the game and handling. I love Forza, Gran Turismo grid and f1 games on controller are good plus the crew 1 and 2 etc . I hope people see this comment I was going to make a new thread for it. Thank you 🙏

@adam thompson -- There is a console review with a pad, played with the Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons or Pro Controller. 👍

Last edited:
Hi so ok with $ales I picked u Gear Club Unlimited 2 for my Series X console, and welllllllllllll, it isn't that bad I am enjoying it soundtrack is nice, visuals are passable lol :S, and handling well it works lucky rewind features is there for when I get caught out, I wish characters had voice acting for it though (Thanks Nadia for her help ;)), and i enjoy the work shop mode and customization and car list is pretty good (M2 BMW there too not Competition though) enjoying it for what it is and its worth a try. :)

Back