Gear gremlins put a stop to DC's race

United States
St. Cloud, Florida
aracefan
This boy has Buzzard's luck. :D
I mean Mika (no. 1 Driver) finally retires.. or whatever, and DC's gear box falls out of the car. I think Mr. Mika might still have an influence in the team... :P I was happy for Kimi though, he drove a smart race.

This is from F1-Live.com (March 4, 2002):
While the opening race of the 2002 season, Sunday's Australian Grand Prix, did not begin too well for some, and for eight of the drivers not at all, it was a good start for David Coulthard. The McLaren driver benefited from the first corner carnage, which resulted when the Williams of Ralf Schumacher was launched over the back of Rubens Barrichello's Ferrari catching some of the drivers behind them in the ensuing chaos. Coulthard found himself leading those remaining in the race as the safety car pulled off and the event got underway again, however his joy was short lived as he soon began to experience problems with his McLaren.

The Scotsman appeared to lose control of his McLaren going off onto the grass and dropping down to fourth place. From there is was a slow but steady decline for him as he lost positions and on two other occasions went off the track, before finally bringing his race to an end and pulling off the track. It was a disappointing day for Coulthard who admitted that it was gearbox problems that cut his day short and robbed him of what could have been a season-opening victory.

Coulthard said: “After a few laps along it went into neutral, and then a few corners later it seemed to jam in sixth gear. The team tried to get an understanding of what was going on, but there was nothing they could do.”

With regards to the race he added: “Obviously I was very shocked when I saw Ralf go over the back of Rubens, naturally your first concern is with them, but as a driver you go on and you take the places that you gained from incidents and I thought things were looking good. But obviously when the first of the problems came and I ran wide I thought this doesn't look good, but I tried to continue but it wasn't going to be.”

Back