Gear Shifter Recomendations for TM T300RS

• Thread starter Nick077
  • 18 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Just set up a new system with T300RS, T-LCM pedals and TH8A gear shifter.

Screenshot-2021-03-22-at-16-53-58.png

The wheel and pedals arrived at weekend, so been practicing. Love them out of the box, really getting into it.

The Shifter arrived today, I have only done a few laps with it so far, so not really given it a huge amount of time, but immediately don't like it.

Screenshot-2021-03-22-at-16-53-51.png

The fact it has no technical feel at all, and no real natural guidance into the h pattern on the top, means I seem to very easily go from 6th to 2nd when I wanted 4th etc, and feel so arcade-ish with no resistance etc.

Is fanatec ClubSport shifter the way to go?

Last edited:
Just set up a new system with T300RS, T-LCM pedals and TH8A gear shifter.

Screenshot-2021-03-22-at-16-53-58.png

The wheel and pedals arrived at weekend, so been practicing. Love them out of the box, really getting into it.

The Shifter arrived today, I have only done a few laps with it so far, so not really given it a huge amount of time, but immediately don't like it.

Screenshot-2021-03-22-at-16-53-51.png

The fact it has no technical feel at all, and no real natural guidance into the h pattern on the top, means I seem to very easily go from 6th to 2nd when I wanted 4th etc, and feel so arcade-ish with no resistance etc.

Is fanatec ClubSport shifter the way to go?
I notice you have a PS4 sitting there so would you be wanting to use it with that or PC? Compatibility will be an issue if you do, but it's also an issue that can be solved with a Drivehub depending on your budget. But even with the Drivehub there's a question mark about PS5 compatibility going forward.

I'd suggest you could look into getting one of the many shifter mods for the TH8A but as I don't own one I can't really recommend anything.

Something like these may be suitable.

There's also a few short throw mods around like this one.

Edit: I have no idea on what the Fanatec shifter is like so I can't help you at all there, sorry.

Last edited:
The side to side I feel is reasonable, better than the forward / back at least. If you let it go from 6th it should just drop into the middle position for 3rd and 4th. The only way it goes into 2nd is if you apply left pressure coming out of 5th / 6th which is unnecessary with the centering spring.
And all mods that I've seen only address the forward / back clunk, not the side to side. That said, I'm looking to get a stronger centering spring for left to right as now I made it stiffer going into gear, the left to right feels a bit weak.
I also shortened the gear lever to reduce the throw and put a heavier shift knob on which helps the feel

Last edited:
I notice you have a PS4 sitting there so would you be wanting to use it with that or PC? Compatibility will be an issue if you do, but it's also an issue that can be solved with a Drivehub depending on your budget. But even with the Drivehub there's a question mark about PS5 compatibility going forward.

I'd suggest you could look into getting one of the many shifter mods for the TH8A but as I don't own one I can't really recommend anything.

Something like these may be suitable.

There's also a few short throw mods around like this one.

Edit: I have no idea on what the Fanatec shifter is like so I can't help you at all there, sorry.

I've got the Ricmotech short shift adaptor and its great, but the Clixbeetle looks interesting as well, may have to pick one of those up and give it a go

The side to side I feel is reasonable, better than the forward / back at least. If you let it go from 6th it should just drop into the middle position for 3rd and 4th. The only way it goes into 2nd is if you apply left pressure coming out of 5th / 6th which is unnecessary with the centering spring.
And all mods that I've seen only address the forward / back clunk, not the side to side. That said, I'm looking to get a stronger centering spring for left to right as now I made it stiffer going into gear, the left to right feels a bit weak.
I also shortened the gear lever to reduce the throw and put a heavier shift knob on which helps the feel

Which forwards/backwards Mod did you use?

That post describes the problem of left to right extremly well, exactly right, I have been easily placing in the wrong gear, and it's not just the forward and backwards positive engagement, and feel, it's also the fact the left to right motion has not damping or spring to it.

Had any luck finding a spring?

I've got the Ricmotech short shift adaptor and its great, but the Clixbeetle looks interesting as well, may have to pick one of those up and give it a go

Cool. I found the Clixbeetle in Australia (taking 3-5 weeks) and because I'm impatient I didn't buy it. :D

I just ordered the 3D Rap Mod Cambio THR v2.0 https://www.3drap.it/product/mod-cambio-th8a-improved-feel/

And their 6spd short shift adapter plate.

It arrives in two days, so I'll test those and see how I get on.

I've also emailed them to mention John G's idea about the lateral movement.

Thanks all, very useful info.

Last edited:

That post describes the problem of left to right extremly well, exactly right, I have been easily placing in the wrong gear, and it's not just the forward and backwards positive engagement, and feel, it's also the fact the left to right motion has not damping or spring to it.

Cool. I found the Clixbeetle in Australia (taking 3-5 weeks) and because I'm impatient I didn't buy it. :D

I just ordered the 3D Rap Mod Cambio THR v2.0 https://www.3drap.it/product/mod-cambio-th8a-improved-feel/

And their 6spd short shift adapter plate.

It arrives in two days, so I'll test those and see how I get on.

I've also emailed them to mention John G's idea about the lateral movement.

Thanks all, very useful info.
Ohhh, that's cheaper and would also get to me sooner as well.

👍

It should have some left right spring - are you saying yours has nothing? Or its just not strong enough...

I haven't actually tried any other springs yet, it's difficult to tie up the info to see what would be suitable. There's loads on ebay if you search gear shift return spring, mostly for motorbike gear shifts so may be too strong for the TH8A?

It should have some left right spring - are you saying yours has nothing? Or its just not strong enough...

I haven't actually tried any other springs yet, it's difficult to tie up the info to see what would be suitable. There's loads on ebay if you search gear shift return spring, mostly for motorbike gear shifts so may be too strong for the TH8A?

No, not saying has nothing, but just saying your description of the centering spring effect being quite weak and making it easy to miss-select a gear and adding to the arcade-ish feel of the shifter was very good.

I've mentioned the spring to the guys at 3DRap and they say they're going to look into it.

Which shifter nob upgrade did you use, the Sparco one? Seems a pain to find one with M9/9mm fitment.

Last edited:
I changed the shaft for a shorter one for reduced throw and with an M10 thread on the top. I used a pool ball...!

An M10 has the same thread pitch as M9 so it would actually fit

My forward back mod was very simple - changing the spring plunger for a heavy duty version and also adding another on the other side

I might see how I can increase the preload on the standard spring to make it stiffer

Last edited:
I changed the shaft for a shorter one for reduced throw and with an M10 thread on the top. I used a pool ball...!

An M10 has the same thread pitch as M9 so it would actually fit

My forward back mod was very simple - changing the spring plunger for a heavy duty version and also adding another on the other side

I might see how I can increase the preload on the standard spring to make it stiffer

Got a link to the shaft you used?

Got the Cambio this week.

Works really well, but sadly the 3dRap short shift plate snapped before I even got it on the chassis!

I just made my own, my dad has a little lathe. Simple just need an M6 thread on the bottom, then a little shouldered bit for the black plastic collar, and an M10 thread on the top for the great knob.

It just unscrews under the black plastic colour

I have a tangential question to this discussion: I'm looking around for info now, and not finding any absolute statements on the matter, and this looks like a reasonably close topic to ask, so:

I have problems with my knees which have prevented me from using a manual transmission 'real' auto for years, and even though the clutch in my sim setup is not as firm, I still want to avoid aggravating them. I set up my sims for auto clutch, and switch between auto transmission and using the flappy paddles, depending on my mood. :)

I generally run PC2, AC, and Automobilista 2.

My question is, can I use auto-clutch and a stick shifter? I had a couple of cars with dual-clutch auto transmission setups, and though the computer settings were generally very good, it was fun to get sporty and use the sequential shifting on some of the twisty bits, since I was protected from Bad Things by the car anyway :)

My thought would be to get a TH8A and chuck it on the rig, and leave the clutch settings in the sim to automatic. Does this work, for any of the sims referenced above?

Would I perhaps be better off getting a budget sequential shifter to try it out? (or DIY one? I have a 3D-printer. :) )

Thanks for any thoughts you might share on this.

Cheers!

I have a tangential question to this discussion: I'm looking around for info now, and not finding any absolute statements on the matter, and this looks like a reasonably close topic to ask, so:

I have problems with my knees which have prevented me from using a manual transmission 'real' auto for years, and even though the clutch in my sim setup is not as firm, I still want to avoid aggravating them. I set up my sims for auto clutch, and switch between auto transmission and using the flappy paddles, depending on my mood. :)

I generally run PC2, AC, and Automobilista 2.

My question is, can I use auto-clutch and a stick shifter? I had a couple of cars with dual-clutch auto transmission setups, and though the computer settings were generally very good, it was fun to get sporty and use the sequential shifting on some of the twisty bits, since I was protected from Bad Things by the car anyway :)

My thought would be to get a TH8A and chuck it on the rig, and leave the clutch settings in the sim to automatic. Does this work, for any of the sims referenced above?

Would I perhaps be better off getting a budget sequential shifter to try it out? (or DIY one? I have a 3D-printer. :) )

Thanks for any thoughts you might share on this.

Cheers!
In Project cars you can use manual gears (paddles or shifter) with auto clutch, in fact in project cars you can still change gear without pressing the clutch even if you have it enabled (bug I presume) I guess it's the same for AMS2 as well.

Last edited:
In Project cars you can use manual gears (paddles or shifter) with auto clutch, in fact in project cars you can still change gear without pressing the clutch even if you have it enabled (bug I presume) I guess it's the same for AMS2 as well.
It's not a bug, but a deliberate choice by the devs, the clutch is not actually bugged, but rather the syncro is absurdly generous to the point that it's impossible to screw up a shift.

I'm on holiday so can't check, but IIRC AMS2 does have this same choice in its design.

Back