General Discussion

• Thread starter daan
  • 497 comments
hmm, what to say.
Feel free to use this thread to discuss items related to the title of this forum.
Examples: 'Gem' cars with 200 point potential, how to wear out cars in order to use them for 200 pointers, winning tactics, general settings etc.
Anything as long as it is related to this particular A-spec point subforum.:)
==========================================
Wearing out your ride
It pays to run several (long) races with worn out cars. As you race you lose horsepower. Better to start a race with a car that wont do that anymore. Take hp loss out of the equation. So take your ride the dealer and add all the removable hp you can get in to it. Then go to Test track oval and run the car for 1400 laps or so (9000 mls if it is new) preferably redlining it most of the way if you can. Stick it in triple speed mode and leave it running for 16-40 hours or so. No need to keep an eye on it because it doesn't use fuel or tyres :odd: When done apply chassis refresh.

Redlining:
Tachometers (revcounter) on vehicles show the rate of rotation of the engine's crankshaft, and typically have markings indicating a safe range of rotation speeds. Prolonged use at high speeds may cause excessive wear and other damage to engines. On analog tachometers the maximum speed is typically indicated by an area of the gauge marked in red, giving rise to the expression of "redlining" an engine -- running it at (dangerously) high.

Install a full custom transmission. Adjust the gears so that when top speed is achieved the revcounter is in this danger zone. You'll need to do this (in A spec mode) by testing it at Test track. Once you are satisfied it is set correctly then restart in B spec mode.
Redlining all the time will not be always possible and the amount (time) varies per car. The more you can get the car to redline the better. On average it will take 9000 miles to achieve maximum wear on the new engine.
Wearing out a 2nd hand car is only useful if it has done less than 9000 miles and has not had an oil refresh.
After this exercise
- Do not refresh oil.
- Do refresh chassis.
- Reset gears (to default).

The problem I found when wearing out rides, is that when you start the wearing out process you are running in redline. But the further the car runs and the lower the BHP, eventually the car stops going to redline. I ran the car for approx 4500 miles in redline, then tweaked the gearbox to increase the redline again. Ran for another 5000 miles. Bingo all HP lossed and 182 points offered.

Cars you may consider wearing out (or buying 2nd hand* where possible) to obtain 200 points:
  1. Audi TT 1.8*
  2. Audi A3
  3. BMW M Coupe 1998*
  4. BMW 120i
  5. Citroen 2CV
  6. Chevrolet Camaro IROC Concept
  7. Chrysler Crossfire
  8. Daihatsu Copen Active Top
  9. Hyundai Coupe FX
  10. Lotus Elan S1
  11. MB 300SL (for SL challenge as it allows you to use better tyres)
  12. MGF*
  13. Mini One
  14. Renault Alpine A310 1600VE
  15. Renault Megane 2.0
  16. Saleen S7
  17. Subaru 360
  18. Suzuki Alto Lapin Turbo
  19. Suzuki Concept S2
  20. Triumph Spitfire 1500
  21. Volkswagen Polo GTi
Please also read this [post=2686504]post[/post]

==============================

A-spec points
006800 - Beginner Events
009600 - Professional Events
011800 - Extreme Events
012600 - Special Conditions
003200 - Endurance Events
002800 - American Events
009600 - European Events
007000 - Japanese Events
039713 - Manufacturers Races
000200 - Family Cup
008500 - Missions
-------
111813 - Total
======

AMG.

Last edited:
Apologies for the double post

* matron mode *
In case you were wondering what to post in the e.g. One Make race - xxxx threads.
Basically the same stuff as you used to post in Route's thread, albeit a bit more structured. :)
I appreciate it's all new and only 2 days old, I have the advantage for the moment, but you'll catch up quickly. 👍

Even though the 2nd post contains a list of 200-candidates please let us not limit it to just listing that information. Let's get the discussions going again.
Don't get me wrong the info is appreciated and I will use it to update post #2.
* /exit matron mode *

I'm not a mod in this subforum, I have no special rights or priviliges. I'm just one of the blokes trying his best to get max points.

Looking forward to your posts, its always a joy to read 👍

AMG.

Good luck with those last few enduros Fizio! :cheers:

On another note, does anyone have any good recommendations for 200 points in the Family Cup? I'd prefer to use a car that I haven't used before, and I'm averse to modifications. I'd like to run something stock if possible. What are good circuits for a satisfying but reasonably unstressful win?

I'm assuming you don't want to hear the words "Dodge Ram" here, because that's the obvious answer.

:ill: :yuck: :crazy: :ill: :ouch: :yuck: :ill: :ouch: :yuck: :ill: :ouch: 👎
vomit.gif

Yeah, no Dodge Ram suggestions! I'll resort to that beast later when I'm going back through to clean up some of the Special Conditions and Beginner Hall races that I can't garner the maximum points on any other way. But only as an absolute "chew-my-own-legs-off" last resort! :mischievous:

Smallhorses, Try the tracks the AI are bad at.
High Speed Ring and El Capitan jump to mind.
I cant remember what car I used but I got my 200 points for family cup at High Speed ring easy enough.

On another note, does anyone have any good recommendations for 200 points in the Family Cup? I'd prefer to use a car that I haven't used before, and I'm averse to modifications. I'd like to run something stock if possible. What are good circuits for a satisfying but reasonably unstressful win?

I did it in stock Lotus Elise 111R on N3's at El Capitain...
Great race 👍

Yeah, no Dodge Ram suggestions! I'll resort to that beast later when I'm going back through to clean up some of the Special Conditions and Beginner Hall races that I can't garner the maximum points on any other way. But only as an absolute "chew-my-own-legs-off" last resort! :mischievous:

Try the Suzuki GSX-R/4 at basically any circuit with the highest difficulty setting.

No problem. That car can win too easily in some challenges, but it is great for ASpec point accumulation. Enjoy!

I completely agree - the GSX-R/4 is almost like the Dodge RAM - most lightweight cars have an advantage over heavier cars with the same PWR - I think that power and weight were used separately when calculating the a-spec value for each car (rather than the combined PWR).

So I would have thought that someone like Smallhorses who obviously loves a challenge would want to go for some overweight luxury GT - Aston Martin perhaps, or an SS Commodore (I don't think anyone has used this for 200 points anywhere - especially stock)

My Astons have all been used. I've restricted myself to driving a car once and once only, either a single race or a championship, until I hit 100% complete, then I'll go back and tidy up in places where I left easy points behind purely by having forced myself to use a low points car e.g. Sport Truck races, where I used 3 different trucks, instead of going for all 200pt races in the Dodge Ram. Don't ask, I'm just weird like that!

I like your Holden suggestion though. :mischievous: I don't have an Aussie car in my garage yet! 💡

Dang, I was going to post about the Suzuki GSX-R/4 for the Family Cup after I'd actually tried it but looks like everybody else beat me to it!

Anyway, FC race at El Capitan max difficulty, Suzuki has all the driveline and suspension stuff, no oil, no point-affecting mods, 175hp. 13.8 second MOV over an Acura DN-X, Ruf RGT, Tuscan Speed 6, Nissan GT-r Concept (Tokyo Show), and a Tamora, 200 pts.

Other tracks to try might be Infineon Sports and Autumn Ring, especially reverse. But give the GSX a try at El Capitan, if for no other reason than the car's a blast to drive on that track.

Ok i have decided to join the quest for maximum A-spec points in as many races as possible. However i do have a question over why the max number is 11.813? Is it that there are certain races that just can't end with the maximum off 200 points?

Ok i have decided to join the quest for maximum A-spec points in as many races as possible. However i do have a question over why the max number is 11.813? Is it that there are certain races that just can't end with the maximum off 200 points?

Well that's good to hear 👍 Welcome to our 'obsession'.
Health Warning: this quest may become very addictive.

If you look at post # 2 in the one make race threads you'll see that a couple of races are indeed less than 200. Why that is only PD knows. They're listed in a different colour for easier finding. P.S. the max is 111.813 (a bit more than you quoted) :)

AMG.

Welcome to the club. You'll find there are some very helpful guys to help in the MAD quest for maximum points.
nige :)

So I got my 200 points, in a stock car at Family Cup.
brick-wall-101.gif

High Speed Ring Reverse. 2 laps, standing start. Difficulty +10. (3rd lineup after reset.)

Starting Lineup:-

TVR Griffith 500 '94
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 '00
Dodge Viper GTS '99
Nissan GT-R Concept (TokyoShow) '01
AC Cars 427 S/C '66
Acura NSX Coupe '97

Finished cleanly, with 2.4s MOV from TVR Griffith. :) Easy job! 👍

Car Stats:-
Acura NSX Coupe '97 (Used ~22204 miles, oil changed) / MR / 289HP / 1392kg / 4.8kg/HP

So I got my 200 points, in a stock car at Family Cup.
brick-wall-101.gif

High Speed Ring Reverse. 2 laps, standing start. Difficulty +10. (3rd lineup after reset.)

Very nice sir ! 👍

/ OT
Where ever did you get that wall breaking banghead smiley from. I like it.
Never mind found it whilst editing my post

AMG.

It would be nice if all A-spec "nutters" (both 100K and 111813 chasers) put their A-spec points stats in sig so the rest of us can see their progress...

Just a thought...💡

It would be nice if all A-spec "nutters" (both 100K and 111813 chasers) put their A-spec points stats in sig so the rest of us can see their progress...

Just a thought...💡

I'll second that. 👍 Always nice to watch the progress of others this way.:)

Copied form other thread: I found the slaloms really difficult, also. I'm certain that those license tests just take daily practice and then one day you Gold them without even realizing it.
I never had any problems with the offroad races. Weren't those races you could wallride? I practically won all my offroad races that way. Let me know which ones you're talking about.

I dont think you're allowed to wallride in OFFroad license tests -> Failed. I must say that I started of with bronzing nearly all licences before I started racing. Then raced quite a lot and went back to redo for Silver/Gold. It was for a lot of them much easier to improve.
My 9 bronzes are 2 slaloms, and 7 in superlicense SSR5, Ice Arena, Tokyo, Gr Canyon, Infineon (audi r8?) chamonix, Sarthe (bentley?)

AMG.

I dont think you're allowed to wallride in OFFroad license tests -> Failed. I must say that I started of with bronzing nearly all licences before I started racing. Then raced quite a lot and went back to redo for Silver/Gold. It was for a lot of them much easier to improve.
My 9 bronzes are 2 slaloms, and 7 in superlicense SSR5, Ice Arena, Tokyo, Gr Canyon, Infineon (audi r8?) chamonix, Sarthe (bentley?)

AMG.

Actually you can get away with a fair amount of wallriding in the license tests. The trick is to gently lay the back end against the wall then gun it, not slam into the wall back end first like you can in the Special Conditions races. Also there are a few spots where you can't make any contact with the wall whatsoever without failing.

After a few practice runs to see what I could get away with I silvered Chamonix rather easily. On my first attempt at Ice Arena I just tried to get a complete lap in so I could have a ghost to work with; I was totally flabbergasted when I saw I'd golded it! That's still the only super license test I've golded.

I'll get around to doing a proper sig some day, but for now, I'm at 63000 and some odd A-spec points, 10,000 B-spec, 40/40/0 on license tests, and 99.4% complete (mission 34 and Grand Canyon hard both ways still left).

@ SB,
I've been looking at some of your youtubes wrt Missions. I don't know how you do it but Seca & Ford GT took me 24 hours to do and the MoV with the R8 on infineon you make look stupidly easy. I'm not going to tell you my MoV on that one but it certainly wasn't more than a second or so.

And you still believe I can gold all my licences......
Man, if I had your skills i'd be on my 2nd 111813 attempt by now.

/ goes off to sulk / ;)

--------------------------------
Wrt 1 make races, for the moment I'm giving up on those as I cant seem to improve anymore. I'll be running a couple of long races & endurance races to get towards the 108K mark. For anyone who'se remotely interested, this is what I have left to do.

Professional Events World Classic Car Series Nurburgring 25

Extreme Events Formula GT World Championship 12*200,1x51

Endurance Events Endurances 7*200, 1x51

Special conditions Grand Canyon Reverse hard 200 (0.2%)

European Events Europe Classic Car League Nurburgring 55
European Events 1000 miles ! 1*69,2*68,1*59

One-make Races Alpine Tokyo 15
One-make Races Audi TT 3*10
One-make Races MB Silver Arrow Nurburgring 21
One-make Races VW GTi 5*6
One-make Races Copen 2*16
One-make Races Suzuki Concepts 2*6
One-make Races Hyundai 2*20,1*25
One-make Races MG 1*19, 1*20
One-make Races Saleen 2*26

Driving Mission 34 Nurburgring 200 (0.2%)

Strange that the Suzuki Concept can be done for 194 with your eyes closed driving backwards with no hands used, but to go from 194 to 200 is impossible/nightmare.

AMG.

... many events :lol: ...

Strange that the Suzuki Concept can be done for 194 with your eyes closed driving backwards with no hands used, but to go from 194 to 200 is impossible/nightmare.

AMG.

I feel the same way about the Audi TT, Saleen, VW GTi and Hyundai series.

Try the VW Beetle for the WCCS - I think Fizio posted the settings for it and the opps - it was a breeze (well... a bit difficult but one of the easier races in you list). I will definitely get the settings for the Alpine soon - I don't get to play much at all now so do not often get the chance but will try and get them soon.

AMG,
I recently got my 200 points in the Grand Canyon Hard races.
I usually never won for 60 points using a rally car.
When I tried the Ram I got hammered.
Well, I looked at the Ram and found that I had not fitted all the parts.
I added the stage 3 NA, the carbon drive shaft, the 2 way diffs and the VSD.
The Diffs and VSD really did make a difference, I left the settings at default, and found I was competitve.
I needed to push my way into the lead, and then block for the next 5 laps.
I watched my replay at the reverse track and was amazed at how much angle I was getting around the corners, compared to the AI, and how easy the Ram was in recovering the slide.
I won with at least 4 - 5 second penalties from the AI hitting me in the side or pushing my front into a wall, with more practice I think it would be a lot easier.
I also noticed the AI car seemed to have very good grip compared to my Ram.
If you keep trying you should eventually beat this race.

Try the VW Beetle for the WCCS
It's a matter of finding the right lineup and the right car. I think it actually was SB that used the Beetle in many Classic races.
I will eventually find something there and the Alpine will be beaten too. i've been close a couple of times but lose it in the very last section before the long straight. At least the Alpine still feels like a proper race.:sly: Something the Saleens, Daihatsus and TTs etc dont. :grumpy:

AMG,
Well, I looked at the Ram and found that I had not fitted all the parts. I also noticed the AI car seemed to have very good grip compared to my
I'm using the Ram too (even with SB's settings lots of camber) but there's 1 point on the track where the AI hit me over and over again and give me a 5 second penalty. End of race.
One of these days Im going to push the AI over the cliff, I will not call the pit crew to send in an ambulance chopper either, and I will win the Reverse race.

Currently running the 172 lap Suzuka. I thought I'd set up the Suzuki for 200 points but on lap 19 (1st pit) I noticed I had R2 on front. Earlier testing showed R2 = 184 points and R1=200. I was pretty sure I actually saw 200 displayed at start of race. I started to doubt myself and reset. In hindsight that was a wasted 40 mins. It was a 200 point race on R2s.

Just finished the 1st hour and am leading by 40 secs or so. So I really need to screw up big time to lose this one. :)

AMG.

Back