George H.W. Bush Passed Aged 94

• Thread starter Rich S
  • 9 comments
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/01/politics/george-h-w-bush-dead/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._W._Bush

Certainly a long lived life. I only remember Clinton, but I was born under Reagan. I cant say I'm a fan of W, But I'm sure H.W. would have been more agreeable.

800px-George_H.W._Bush_seated_in_a_Grumman_TBM_Avenger%2C_circa_1944_%28H069-13%29.jpg

At the time I was living during the GHW Bush era, I was pretty much always voting blindly Democrat, and I wasn't overly fond of him. Since then, my view of him has matured. He is at the top of the list for some extremely important and now lost qualities of top leadership: tact, intelligence and prudence.

"We know what works: Freedom works. We know what's right: Freedom is right. We know how to secure a more just and prosperous life for man on Earth: through free markets, free speech, free elections and the exercise of free will unhampered by the state,” - George H.W. Bush, Inauguration Day, January 20, 1989

"We should not march into Baghdad. To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and make a broken tyrant into a latter-day Arab hero.

"Assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater instability."
- George H.W. Bush from his book A World Transformed

During the most violent years of the war in Nicaragua, a retired CIA agent – a man of many talents and pseudonyms whose given name is Felix Rodriguez – was the logistics officer for airlifts of weapons and supplies from the Ilopango air base, in El Salvador, to the jungle hide-outs of the Nicaraguan rebels known as contras. On October 5th, 1986, one of Rodriguez’s cargo planes, a Southern Air Transport C-123K, loaded with 10,000 pounds of ammunition, failed to return from a scheduled drop in Nicaragua. Fearing the worst, Rodriguez made a series of phone calls to Washington that evening. What was unusual was that Rodriguez did not notify anyone at the Defense Department or the CIA but rather attempted to get word about the missing plane to Donald Gregg, the national-security adviser for Vice President George Bush.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/the-dirty-secrets-of-george-bush-71927/

He was a real swell guy

During the most violent years of the war in Nicaragua, a retired CIA agent – a man of many talents and pseudonyms whose given name is Felix Rodriguez – was the logistics officer for airlifts of weapons and supplies from the Ilopango air base, in El Salvador, to the jungle hide-outs of the Nicaraguan rebels known as contras. On October 5th, 1986, one of Rodriguez’s cargo planes, a Southern Air Transport C-123K, loaded with 10,000 pounds of ammunition, failed to return from a scheduled drop in Nicaragua. Fearing the worst, Rodriguez made a series of phone calls to Washington that evening. What was unusual was that Rodriguez did not notify anyone at the Defense Department or the CIA but rather attempted to get word about the missing plane to Donald Gregg, the national-security adviser for Vice President George Bush.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/the-dirty-secrets-of-george-bush-71927/

He was a real swell guy

This is thirty year old stuff. What's your point?

This is thirty year old stuff. What's your point?
I have the nagging suspicion that the point is something along the lines of "he's not as good as everyone wants to remember", and as much as I'd rather that sort of thing be withheld as a gesture of respect, at the absolute very least for the duration of the half-staff flag directive (seriously, come on), I'm curious as to what your point is. Rather than argue that the events ought not be addressed (be it at all or for an indeterminate period of time) or that the account of events is false, it appears as though you've opted for "it happened a long time ago".

Back