Gold Cups Frustrating Me....HELP!!!!

:crazy: Obviously my last post was outta frustration. I know that all the gold cups can be won. I have them all..except test no. 3 on both B and A license. Its like the easiest one yet after at least 300 times of trying I just cant get that gold cup on that one...am I over looking something obvious?...any tips? anyone?...I have all the gold cups except the ones I just mentioned...it should be so easy....but for some reason I just cant seem to nail it. In the B class the car is so slow...ive tried everything from stretching the gears, coasting, power braking and every line and way I can imagine. You would think outta doing it 300+ times...I would just get lucky on 1 run if nothing else. I dont mind telling you that after the first 20 runs when youve done everything you can think of and you just cant get it. It really starts to piss you off a little. The time to beat on the B class No.3 for the gold is 28.150....The best I can squeeze out of it is 28.255 please someone tell me, what the hell am im missing here?....I will give you my first born if you can tell me something that will help. Thanks :crazy:

We've all been there bro. I did the B license golds because I really wanted the Dodge Copperhead (aka Concept Car) which turned out to be kind of a waste of time. I got stuck on B3...all of us have. It's for some reason much harder than all the others.

Advice? I can't really tell you much. I remember I turned the sound on the TV down almost all the way (that del Sol engine was getting annoying) put some Jane's Addiction on the stereo, and simply tried the test over and over till I finally nailed it. I think on my website I've got a link to another site on which somebody gives a detailed description on what to do for gold in many tests. I'll post it here later.

check this site out:

http://members.aol.com/IggyWH/gold.htm

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
We've all been there bro. I did the B license golds becasue i really wanted the Dodge Copperhead (aka Concept Car) which turned out to be kind of a waste of time. I got stuck on B3...all of us have. It's for some reason much harder than all the others.

Advice? I can't really tell you much. I remember i turned teh sound on the TV down almost all the way (that del Sol engine was getting annoying) put some Jane's Addiction on the stereo, and simply tried the test over and over till i finally nailed it. I think on my website i've got a link to another site on which somebody gives a detailed description on what to do for gold in many tests. I'll post it here later.

Later: Yo check this site out:

http://members.aol.com/IggyWH/gold.htm

Hey Thanks for the link parnelli. One person does explain how he did it on the site. I hate that car on that test. Its so freakin slow. I think its a chevy chevette disguised as a different car...lol. Ive had this GT1 for a long time..and I played it years ago to beat every race. After I did I Put it away. I only recently got an itch to try and get every car in the game. Thats when I found out you had to win the golds for the 3 special cars. I got more of a challenge than I bargained for. Man these test are tough. I was told that sometimes instead of the purple concept car you will get a gold one in the race that gives it to you. Is this true? Like I said My goal is to obtain every vehicle period...even the special color cars of the same models that you can buy but cant buy in those colors. Anyway if you know whether or not the gold concept car is for real or not post and let me know. Again thx for your help man, I really appreciate it. :crazy:

Man where is everyone in the GT1 bulletin board? This place used to be more active a couple months ago!

I was originally a fan of the del Sol till that damn test! It may be low-powered, but minimal suspension tuning is required to get it to behave. But I remember after I finally got the gold in the test I swore off ever setting foot in a del Sol for a while. It's also how I feel about the Toyota Altezza in GT2's A4 test. The Altezza is a rear-drive, which means you'll also face the threat of spinouts along with blowing your time.

I originally wanted to get all the B license golds so I could win the Dodge and take it to the Tuned Series. (the purple concept car from the British vs. American series is awesome but you can't take it to the Tuned races because it accepts downforce mods). But I was pretty disappointed in the red Concept because you can't modify its engine much. I don't think it even breaks 300 hp with all the exhaust, computer, port grinding and balancing.

No, I never saw a gold Copperhead...tho I've heard about it. Do a search, I think someone posted a topic on the gold car this past summer. Then again, I could be wrong. My memory could be playin trix on me, it does that sometimes.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Man where is everyone in the GT1 bulletin board? This place used to be more active a couple months ago!

I was originally a fan of the del Sol till that damn test! It may be low-powered, but minimal suspension tuning is required to get it to behave. But i remember after i finally got the gold in the test i swore off ever setting foot in a del Sol for awhile. It's also how i feel about the Toyota Altezza in GT2's A4 test. The Altezza is a rear-drive, which means you'll also face the threat of spinouts along with blowing your time.

I originally wanted to get all the B license golds so i could win the Dodge and take it to the Tuned Series. (the purple concept car from the British vs. American series is awesome but you can't take it to the Tuned races because it accepts downforce mods). But i was pretty disappointed in the red Concept because you can't modify its engine much. I dont' think it even breaks 300 hp with all the exhaust, computer, port grinding and balancing.

No, i never saw a gold Copperhead...tho i've heard about it. Do a search, i think someone posted a topic on the gold car this past summer. Then again, i could be wrong. My memory could be playin trix on me, it does that sometimes.

I heard that. My memory isnt what it used to be either. The older you get the more you forget until you reach a total state of bliss...lol might be a good thing.

Well I finally nailed test B3....and with time to boot. I tried everything and nothing worked. Then suddenly I got an idea. I put the car in manual and I headed down the track in my del sol then went as far to the right side as I possibly could to the final turn. When I hit the curb I dropped it one gear turned left and headed up the hill in the same gear with it screaming. I kept losing acceleration after the turn so I figured in a lower gear I would keep acceleration. I was right !!!! The lower gear kept the acceleration up and right when I got to the top of the hill, I hit the next gear and it jumped across the line with time to spare...I was like Hell YESSSS!!!!!!!...lol

So now I have all the golds for tha B and A test. I nailed the one I needed for A license the same way by dropping a gear. I was having the same problem on that one to, loss of acceleration after the turn.......Now on to the IA test...I know these are going to be extremely hard. Ive already tried them all I have 1 gold, 4 silvers, and 3 bronze so far.

I dont see how anyone could ever get the gold on IA 2 test. It a dodge viper on R5 track. Man that thing is all over the place and you lose the rear traction every 5 seconds...lolol. And another one I dont see how anyone could nail is the autumn ring test. I think the car is a griffith cant remember sitting here Id have to go look. But its another car that cant sit still..everytime I try that test I start hearing that paul simon song in my head....Slip sliding awayyyyy...slip sliding awayeeaayyyaaaa...you know the nearer your destination, the more your slip sliding awayyyyayyy.....lol. ( Man I love this game !!!!! )

I noticed people on here talking about their fastest speeds...I just wanted to say that ive tried just about every car in the game worth jackin up on the speed test course. And I havent found any car that can beat my max speed with the 95' Supra RZ. - 271mph. Ive only done it once though...all the other runs have been around 263 to 269. Just depends on how smooth I can hit the turns. But I swear I think I could get that thing to 275.. if I just played with 5th and 6th gear a little more. Im not saying there isnt a faster car, I just havent found it yet. Is there any car you know of that will go faster on the speed test? If so please share it with me.
On another note. I really want to play the other GT games. But im not going to until I have every car in GT1 with full mod where applicable. Anyway I think ive rambled on enough...lol Sorry I live in a house of all girls who could care less about racing and games period...so Im a playstation loner here..lol and its nice to be able to post here and get feedback. I would be real interested in any links, info or anything about the cars in GT1. Be it rumour or whatever. I want every car in the game that can be had. Thanks and look forward to your replies. :drool:

Dude you live with all girls and you spend your time on the Playstation? :D haha. j/k. Maybe they're your sisters or something.

This place used to be hoppin..I don't know where everyone went.

That's how it is often, when you finally nail a test, all the sudden you've done it with half a second to spare or something. I've heard the IA tests are easier than the B & A's, but I've never tried them so I can't say from experience. But yeah, that Griffith at Route 11 was my nemesis...I couldn't even get bronze in that thing for awhile. In fact, all the bronze times are tougher in GT1 than any other game, and that's not just because I was a newbie back then...they are consistently more difficult. GT1 is regarded by many to be more of an enthusiast's game, whereas GT2 is more fun.

Since you're bored (ha ha) check out my site

http://community.webtv.net/thebeast66/GranTurismoCar

Also, there's a guy here named SportWagon, he's got an awesome GT1 site. Find a post by him here at GTPlanet, then look below what he wrote and click on where it says website. Once you're on his site, go to the diary link, he's got mad stories about his GT1 experience.

Last edited:
The del-Sol test was a beast, I finally got it by 0.001... but I got it. The Skyline at trial Mountain in the A license was almost as bad, but I got it too. Then I stopped playing original GT for about five years.

One day I picked it up again, decided to gold my IA licence and did it in about two hours. Seconds to spare in each test. :)

Greycap
The del-Sol test was a beast, I finally got it by 0.001... but I got it. The Skyline at trial Mountain in the A license was almost as bad, but I got it too. Then I stopped playing original GT for about five years.

One day I picked it up again, decided to gold my IA licence and did it in about two hours. Seconds to spare in each test. :)

Dude, you gotta be kidding me? The times to beat on the IA test for the gold are insane. I just started them yesterday. I have 1 gold and it is the high speed ring. Hell I coulda went around that one twice and beat the time for it. Its the only easy one. I have the gold and the rest are all silver except the autumn ring one with the griffith. I cant even get close to the gold and the silver is 21.100 and the best i can do so far is 21.539..gold is 20.800 i think. all the rest of the tracks leave almost no room for a mistake and its almost impossible not to make some. I cant even get close to a gold on any of them. the silvers werent to much hassle..but almost every track calls for no less than an additional full 2 seconds and most are more. Im so disappointed becuase i finally got the copperhead and the trd3000 but i dont ever forsee getting the 400 for the IA. The cars they want you to beat the test with are just to damn hard to control. Ill keep trying but i just dont think i will ever beat the times. Any way i want to correct something in my earlier post. The car i got the top speed with was a Supra RZ, not a 95' Supra RZ...sorry. Look forward to your replies people. :ill: The IA test suck!!!!!!

Nope, I'm not kidding. After completing GT2 and GT3 it was a walk in the park. The grip is so much better that it's almost ridiculous. Back in the GT days I thought the Griffith and its throttle oversteer were impossible to control but after a few years and many thousand kilometers in GT3 it feels like it was driven on glue. You just can't understeer and that's the thing that makes it difficult, as weird as it sounds. If you drive like you do in GT4, you won't even get bronze. If you have to brake from 5th to 3rd gear in GT4, you can probably go flat out in GT. :D If you are using the DS2, be sure to use analog sticks.

"Seconds to spare" means one or two, but still full seconds. :)

hey Westvatexan, don't fret..lots of people have gained IA golds before you. It might help to do lots of sim races and time trials...I think the reason IA is considered easier is because they are full-course tests, and most folks have raced those courses several hundred times by the time the go back to try for gold in IA. Good luck! you're brave, I would never go back to try what you're attempting. :) ¬

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
hey Westvatexan, don't fret..lots of people have gained IA golds before you. It might help to do lots of sim races and time trials...i think the reason IA is considered easier is because they are full-course tests, and most folks have raced those courses several hundred times by the time the go back to try for gold in IA. Good luck! yOu're brave, i would never go back to try what you're attempting. :) ¬

Well maybe my judgement on the lap times for the IA test was a little premature. I had never done them before other than for the bronze. Anyway since yesterday i have gotten all the golds except IA3 and IA7...both test are with the griffith, god i hate that car. I seriously wonder if ill ever get the R11 gold because i have done it gozillions of times and the time to beat is 2:06.800 and i have five lap times of 2:07+ and one 2:08 and all the rest are 2:09 it looks as though 2:07 is as good as i can get since i have it 5 times. The lap time to beat on the other one is 1:57+ I got 1:58 once but everytime i do that one its 1:59...and on both of those i swear some of the laps were absolutely beautiful yet still werent good enough. anyway Ive been stuck on those two test all day. Im just about to give up on them...ive raced my ass off to no avail on these two...lol its driving me insane :crazy: . If you know of any tricks like a wall bang or something for these 2, clue me in pleaseeeeeeeeee?....im so close. In answer to your remark parnelli, the answer is yes. The girls are my girlfriend and daughter and her friends and I have 3 dogs all girls and 2 cats one girl one boy. There isnt another male around here anywhere. No one to watch the game with pr talk about women or sports or racing or anything...thank god for the internet and the sony. If it wasnt for those 2 things..they would have to lock me up in the looney bin. Well I guess im going back to trying to beat the last 2 test...should only take another 500 times of trying...lolol check ya later...take it easy, dont be cheesy !!!!! :dopey:

HOT DAMN!!!!! I finally got the IA 7 - R11 test GOLD. It only took another 2 hrs and 50+ tries to get it after my last post. The IA 3 I got right after I posted on the first try. Sometimes I think you just have to take a break for a minute or two and then go try again. So now I have all the test car prizes, Yeeeeeeee Haaaawwwwww!!!!!

By the way, you have a very nice site there parnelli...very informative. Bravo Man!

Greycap

B.S!!!!! Seconds to spare doesn't happen in every test only one or two i don't care how good you are at it.

pete_mcg
B.S!!!!! Seconds to spare doesn't happen in every test only one or two i don't care how good you are at it.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you.

Last edited:
FWIW, I believe Greycap.

I did find driving GT1 strange when I tried it recently (verifying the load setting colour-change phenomenon); I am so used to braking severely in GT4 to bring weight forward that I seemed to be overdoing it.

A thing which does make GT1 license tests difficult, IIRC, is that when you view your replays your time is not dynamically updated, so you can't check your "schedule".

SportWagon
A thing which does make GT1 license tests difficult, IIRC, is that when you view your replays your time is not dynamically updated, so you can't check your "schedule".

There's also no ghost car update in GT1 & 2, and for me those ghost cars are a good indication of whether or not I'm doing better. Sometimes, the ghost can be distracting--especially if I got a really good silver run but can't seen to top it...then that ghost is always in front of you and its hard to gauge when to turn into corners and brake and stuff.

Last edited:
Just shift down on the del sol one. I got all golds and on pal versions of GT1 and GT2 a while ago. I think I made a topic on it too. If it's still there it can be found via a search.

liam2maps
Just shift down on the del sol one. I got all golds and on pal versions of GT1 and GT2 a while ago. I think I made a topic on it too. If it's still there it can be found via a search.

I think I had that debate when I was doing the del Sol test. Do I shift down or leave it in gear? I'm having the same issue with the RUF Porsche in the GT3 slalom tests: do I shift up to 4th or stay in 3rd? I can get better times leaving it in 3rd, but the demo shows the car in 4th most of the run...

Last edited:
Back