Good News for Fanatec McLaren Wheel Owners

• Thread starter Twstcrv
  • 7 comments
United States
United States
Just finished first drive of ACC in VR and while the game is in beta and will improve, the big news for McLaren rim owners is that not only does it fully support the CSL Elite base but also recognizes the McLaren rim by name. Most of the buttons are mapped and the rotary switches finally work properly! Ie each position on the switch is the correct corresponding position for fuel mapping and abs! TC is on the ptt switch but thats only bc the TCS rotary on the real car is taken by the mode switch in the replica.

Just curious - as someone considering taking the leap and buying a VR-capable PC for sim racing - how do the graphics in VR compare to viewing the game on a monitor/4k TV? Obviously the experience is more immersive but I'm curious how the graphics look.

Just curious - as someone considering taking the leap and buying a VR-capable PC for sim racing - how do the graphics in VR compare to viewing the game on a monitor/4k TV? Obviously the experience is more immersive but I'm curious how the graphics look.
VR will look softer, the frame rate may fluctuate, sde will be obvious, and you may have to deal with flaky HMD software (Oculus has been a bit of a mess since the last update). That said, what it lacks in raw detail it makes up in spades with immersion. Driving on a screen is so unsatisfying after experiencing VR.

Sounds amazing. It's a costly leap to get into PC/VR racing but I'm sure it's worth it. Hopefully Codemaster's F1 series will support VR in the near future.

VR will look softer, the frame rate may fluctuate, sde will be obvious, and you may have to deal with flaky HMD software (Oculus has been a bit of a mess since the last update). That said, what it lacks in raw detail it makes up in spades with immersion. Driving on a screen is so unsatisfying after experiencing VR.
That is a spot on summary of vr! I would also add that the “screen door effect” is definitely there, but the immersion factor is so overwhelming, that you soon overlook it. VR is just beginning. It doesn’t take too much imagination to realize that when the inevitable improvement in resolution comes, well, thats it then, isn’t it?

Sorry for the naive question but will improvements in resolution come from hardware upgrades, software improvements, or both? I would hate to take the plunge and pick up an Oculus Rift in December and then an Oculus Rift 2 gets released in 3 months. I realize this is the same issue with all technology but I'd like to get a setup that's "future-proof" for sim racing for at least the next 2-3 years.

Sorry for the naive question but will improvements in resolution come from hardware upgrades, software improvements, or both? I would hate to take the plunge and pick up an Oculus Rift in December and then an Oculus Rift 2 gets released in 3 months. I realize this is the same issue with all technology but I'd like to get a setup that's "future-proof" for sim racing for at least the next 2-3 years.
It will be hardware. In particular GPU’s. I recently picked a up a Vive Pro. Having already had a DK1 and original Vive. SDE is still there but has improved considerably. It’ll be a few iterations of GPU before we get HMD’s that are equivalent to a flat screen in terms of image quality so I wouldn’t worry too much about picking up an HMD now. However, the Rift is quite an old headset now, Vive Pro is significantly better in terms of image quality but you need the right GPU to push it as well.

Back