!!!Got a new game!!!

• Thread starter Gil
  • 10 comments

Gil

Bird man
Premium
old-guy64
The kids got me a new game for Father's day. It is taking almost all my time away from GT3.
Baldur's Gate; Dark Alliance.
:D Very cool game. :D
Reminds me of Gauntlet w/o the regenerating monster makers. It's challenging enough to stay interesting, but easy enough so as not to be frustating.

Gil - Ya, that is a good one. I played the original Baldur's Gate on the PC, but haven't tried Dark Alliance on any system yet.

Good to hear (read?) they've got a decent balance in the gameplay.

It's very cool. Of course, my 11-year old has already been online and found cheats. :P

YES!!!!! :D finally another person has discovered this excellent game. Glad to hear you like it, it's one of my favorite PS2 games, and one of my favorite action RPG's of all time (Secret of Mana is #1 ) I can't wait until the sequel comes out (I hope they do a sequel) It's actually even better if you play with 2 people at the same time. :)

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
YES!!!!! :D finally another person has discovered this excellent game. Glad to hear you like it, it's one of my favorite PS2 games, and one of my favorite action RPG's of all time (Secret of Mana is #1 ) I can't wait until the sequel comes out (I hope they do a sequel) It's actually even better if you play with 2 people at the same time. :)

Ok, I have been thinking of getting this one for a while now.
What I would like to know is, what is the difference between
an RPG and an action RPG??
I tried Final Fantasy VII and it just was too slow. Is that an "action" RPG??
I like platform games and any insight would be helpful.
Thanks,
Barry

Originally posted by barryf1fan

Thanks,
Barry

Barry,

Ummm... by my definition (which I have declared the most correct definition :lol:) an Action RPG is just a "click click right-click click" type of game. ie - you only have to use one button extensively, with the odd use of another button - For example, Diablo II. I look at these games as a Final Fight type of game, with a little RPG thrown in. The thing that makes it RPG like is the fact that you can "level up", purchase new weapons/armors etc... etc...

a "regular" RPG is (in my opinion - again, the most correct opinion :lol:) a much more involved game. You can spend 15 mins touring around, looking for someone to fight, you have to rest from time to time, has "traps" to deal with... etc... etc...

In a nutshell, a "regular" RPG can be quite boring from time to time but an "action" RPG is all style and no substance. You can blow through it quickly without breaking a sweat. And you'll likely get a callous on your thumb/finger from repeatedly hammering on the same button.

Well, I think ethanol is generally on the right track, he's over simplified both themes quite a bit. Most RPG's are strategy oriented which is like the Final Fantasy, Dragonquest, or Baldur's gate (PC version) series'. With action RPG's there is a much wider lattitude in terms of what it can mean. Basically an RPG refers to any game where you can "level up" your character, or slowly improve him/her over the course of the game. This is like Diablo, Baldur's gate: DA, Secret of Mana, Dark Cloud, or even the Zelda series.
I'd compare Baldur's gate: Dark alliance to an advanced, highly polished Gauntlet type game. Add in the RPG elements, tons of armor and weaponry and you have an excellent mix.
It's not as bad a button masher as diablo, especially with the different types special attacks (Actually the dwarf is a button masher character, the other 2(3) require some finesse)
You won't be thinking too much about that though, as you trek through dungeons, ice caves, the countryside, swamps and who knows what else. You'll just be hoping for the next high powered sword which is just around the next bend....

Well, I think ethanol is generally on the right track, he's over simplified both themes quite a bit.

:lol: That's putting it lightly. :D Ya, I end up over simplifying everything... I've been doing "support" type of things for way too long, so I try and keep it as simple as possible.

K - I - S - S

Thanks T.M. and ethanol, I appreciate it.

I might check out eBay and try and pick it up used or new (cheap). Sounds like a good game. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by barryf1fan

Thanks,
Barry
MY kids have the FF games from FF5 thru FF10. They are not as interesting to me as Baldur's gate.
Baldur's gate sort of reminds me of the old Nintendo game Chrysalis or Zelda. The concept is similar.
And barryf1fan is correct it is much more fun with 2 players.

Back