Gr. 1 Prototype Series Race - Road Atlanta - Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter vcx
  • 72 comments
Mazda LM 55 Gr 1 with @praiano63 950pp tune.

Rh tyres, fuel 6. Pitted for fuel 2 times at 20 mins left and 5 mins left.

2nd place was 2 laps down. 1.07 lap time average
Worked like a charm even for a slower driver such as me (was lapping 1:09/1:10). Thanks!

Just completed this event in 1st using a maxed out CLK-LM with nitrous, was on Easy mode but I imagine a skilled enough driver may be able to get 1st on Normal mode as I will admit i'm not the best driver.

Decided to try the CLK because when using it in custom races it could hold it's own with lower end Gr.1 cars in stock format like the 962 so I imagine that with Nitrous and a Turbo it could be much faster along with being ran on racing softs.

Setup:

Medium RPM Turbo
Racing Softs
Nitrous

I finally won this on the 5th attempt - this time with the LM55.

I could only manage 7 laps on FM6, so it needed to be a 3 stopper.

Is everyone else trying this race on Easy setting & getting better fuel/tyres?

Another strat: Red Bull x2019, stock with a little ballast, RM tires for exactly ONE lap, then RS tires the rest of the way. Pit every 4 laps after that for fuel and tires, drive it like you stole it. This gets you very close to the Nations Cup Round 3.
You should exit the final chicanes at full throttle and hold it down the start/finish straight to the first decent right hander.
I have also run the 787b on FM6, RM tires, manual transmission, and one stop.
With both of these I exit the first right hand turn at full throttle, slow for the S turns, and punch it once I pass the second set of cones. I brake for the final left in that series, punch it down the straight, and slow down for the two turns here. Punch it again to the chicane.
For passing you can turn the 787b up to fuel map 1 and hit the nitrous. The x2019 is overall slower but tolerates short shifting much better than the 787b does and it's lighter. On the flip side, the 787b barely sips fuel and you can't argue with a car going 230 mph on that back straight.
My setup with the 787b is posted earlier. It absolutely destroys easy AI.

Last edited:
I finally won this on the 5th attempt - this time with the LM55.

I could only manage 7 laps on FM6, so it needed to be a 3 stopper.

Is everyone else trying this race on Easy setting & getting better fuel/tyres?
I won it on Normal difficulty twice, both with the LM55 and the 962C, and both times it was a two-stopper on FM6 with RH tires

Anyone tried this race with the Audi R18 TDI 2011? I’m trying to win this race on hard mode with non upgraded prototype cars that I like and so far I’ve won it with the 2016 LMP1 cars, the GR010 LMH, the 908 HDI, the TS030 and the Tomahawk Gr.1. This is a really fun track with these cars which is why I run this race so much.

Anyway back to the R18 TDI, this car has a nonexistent fuel tank and can only run 5 laps on fuel map 1 and I am kind of afraid to run slower fuel maps due to the car already lacking straight line pace (540 PS lmao). Anyone had any luck so far?

I’m on hard, so maybe it makes the fuel usage higher?
I’m pretty sure difficulty only affects the pace of the AI and they also start to push when you’re within a few seconds of them so you can ruin their strategies

So I tried this one last night using the 787B. High RPM turbo, and cranked the front downforce about three quarters of the way.

Ran the entire race at Fuel trim 2, and passed up Hizal and Wong with three minute to spare.

Two stop strategy on RH, and that's with changing tires along with a full tank first round, about 67% second round. Short shifted too.

Edit: Hard difficulty, too.

Last edited:
Difficulty normal, McLaren VGT, RM, FM6, 2 pit stops. Finished 18th... I am way too slow on this track and even after 20+ laps I was able to go of track in various turns... Need to learn this track better, many turns without visibility. Best lap may be in high 1:12, most "correct" laps in the 1:14s

Quite frustrating race for me... After a very very bad start, I decided to pursue just to finish the race and learn the track, but I'll need at least another try to be able to make less mistakes.

Back