Rinsky's 2021 MSN / Rinsky's 2022 Final Tour Archives

I did get my wife to go with me to the "Track Laps for Charity" event at the Richmond Raceway NASCAR track yesterday. You donate $20 to cancer research and you get to drive your personal car around the track for 5 laps. So I took my Honda Civic for a spin! You have to stay in line with a group behind the pace car (they took about 10 cars on the track at one time) and the speed limit is 55mph, but we got over 60mph for a good portion of it. That isn't very fast, but with Richmond being such a short track you could still feel it in the turns at that speed. It was cool to feel the banking in the turns as well.

What was interesting to me was that the track felt really short even at that slow speed. With the front-stretch being a D-shape it felt like I was constantly in a turn, with only a brief break on the straight back-stretch. At the speed the NASCAR guys go (140mph on the straights, 90mph in the turns) that is a lot of work keeping the wheel steady for 400 laps.

I've never done anything like that before so it was a pretty cool experience. 👍

I did get my wife to go with me to the "Track Laps for Charity" event at the Richmond Raceway NASCAR track yesterday. You donate $20 to cancer research and you get to drive your personal car around the track for 5 laps. So I took my Honda Civic for a spin! You have to stay in line with a group behind the pace car (they took about 10 cars on the track at one time) and the speed limit is 55mph, but we got over 60mph for a good portion of it. That isn't very fast, but with Richmond being such a short track you could still feel it in the turns at that speed. It was cool to feel the banking in the turns as well.

What was interesting to me was that the track felt really short even at that slow speed. With the front-stretch being a D-shape it felt like I was constantly in a turn, with only a brief break on the straight back-stretch. At the speed the NASCAR guys go (140mph on the straights, 90mph in the turns) that is a lot of work keeping the wheel steady for 400 laps.

I've never done anything like that before so it was a pretty cool experience. 👍
Yesterday I was at the Nascar Truck and Cup race 1 at Pocono Raceway. We live about 1 hour from the track but, it was my first time there. Forget to reapply my sunscreen during the day. So I'm being punished for that today watching Cup race 2 at home. Otherwise had a lot of fun.

What's the confusion? I'm saying even if you can game some time. Any damage you receive will cost you time in the pits for repairs. Don't forget that Gran Turismo has made pit stops more costly too.
Not sure why you brought this up again, I didn't say anything about it.
But as long as we are on the subject one of my initial complaints about the wet race was that the damage really does not affect lap time, like I said earlier I had front and rear aero damage and suspension damage at 3 of 4 wheels and I was able to run as fast as my best lap times. The game does not make you fix damage while racing or while in the pits, it is optional. I can damage my car on lap 1 and run the whole race with that damage if I choose. Now I could get behind a rule that says you have x number of laps to come in and repair said damage or face penalties. The speeds are just too slow here in the wet for damage to affect lap time.

Last edited:
Not sure why you brought this up again, I didn't say anything about it.
But as long as we are on the subject one of my initial complaints about the wet race was that the damage really does not affect lap time, like I said earlier I had front and rear aero damage and suspension damage at 3 of 4 wheels and I was able to run as fast as my best lap times. The game does not make you fix damage while racing or while in the pits, it is optional. I can damage my car on lap 1 and run the whole race with that damage if I choose. Now I could get behind a rule that says you have x number of laps to come in and repair said damage or face penalties. The speeds are just too slow here in the wet for damage to affect lap time.
I disagree that damage does nothing, I've done races against AI with heavy damage on. With just a dust up with the AI. Front aero damage makes you about 5 mph slower on the long straight. That's time lost right there. And yes can refuse repairs but, why would you.

Last edited:
I disagree that damage does nothing, I've done races against AI with heavy damage on. With just a dust up with the AI. Front aero damage makes you about 5 mph slower on the long straight. That's time lost right there. And yes can refuse repairs but, why would you.
You should try a lobby then. It is not a fabrication that I equalled my fastest laps with red front and rear aero and 3 red corners (suspension) on the car. Lobby physics are far different from arcade.

You should try a lobby then. It is not a fabrication that I equalled my fastest laps with red front and rear aero and 3 red corners (suspension) on the car. Lobby physics are far different from arcade.
Car should be slower with aero damage in lobby too I've tested it. Unless Gran Turismo changed something. The only way I can see you gaining time is if you can brake later from the slower speeds on straights. If you can make up that much. Than case that rhcpeppers McLaren F1 might be able to out pace us here because of the car's braking ability. He'll already be able to apply full power of the hairpin sooner. I haven't tried the F1 or Laferrari yet.

Last edited:
Car should be slower with aero damage in lobby too I've tested it. Unless Gran Turismo changed something. The only way I can see you gaining time is if you can brake later from the slower speeds on straights. If you can make up that much. Than case that rhcpeppers McLaren F1 might be able to out pace us here because of the car's braking ability. He'll already be able to apply full power of the hairpin sooner. I haven't tried the F1 or Laferrari yet.
I'm sure the reason that aero doesn't slow the car in the rain race is because average speed is so slow. If GTS is modeled after real life aero really has little to no affect at speeds of 80MPH or less. Beyond that they have little effect on cars that are not high downforce cars at higher speeds.

I'm sure the reason that aero doesn't slow the car in the rain race is because average speed is so slow. If GTS is modeled after real life aero really has little to no affect at speeds of 80MPH or less. Beyond that they have little effect on cars that are not high downforce cars at higher speeds.
That wouldn't explain the lack of speed lose at higher speeds. Supposedly air resistance is enough at 60 mph to have some affect though minimal. Even if the car doesn't produce downforce. The car's altered shape would still have a negative effect from air resistance.

That wouldn't explain the lack of speed lose at higher speeds. Supposedly air resistance is enough at 60 mph to have some affect though minimal. Even if the car doesn't produce downforce. The car's altered shape would still have a negative effect from air resistance.
In real life that wall of air doesn't start until 80 unless you have real big wings like F1 cars.

In real life that wall of air doesn't start until 80 unless you have real big wings like F1 cars.
I'm going by real life racing not in game. Gran Turismo doesn't really tell you that. I know on average 55 mph is the point where AC becomes more efficient than opening the windows. It also depends on the size and shape of your car. Driving a brick like a SUV or a pickup probably would experience more air resistance sooner than a wingless brand new sports car.

Holy moly, 90 minutes here is going to be a very long race.
After an hour and a half race here I may never want to race another oval

Last edited:
Holy moly, 90 minutes here is going to be a very long race.
After an hour and a half race here I may never want to race another oval
And yet we wouldn't see the 500 lap mark that Cup Series run too but +300 laps should be reachable. I hope you didn't forget to practice this for race too. I finding a rhythm is recommend for a place like this.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Bruins4Life has officially pulled out of this. I also may remove racefan88 from the driver's list as well since I've not heard from them since February.

And yet we would see the 500 lap mark that Cup Series run too but +300 laps should be reachable. I hope you didn't forget to practice this for race too. I finding a rhythm is recommend for a place like this.
I think the game is much harder on your eyes than real life driving. You get very, very little feedback from anything other than visual clues in sim racing, since that is really the only receptor used I'm guessing that's the reason. We will see what everyone else thinks at the end of this race, I have a feeling it will not be a popular race with most. Many were vocal about the small Willow track, thats another rhythm track like Tskuba, people tend not to care for those races. It takes me about 3 laps to get into rhythm at Northern Isle, less if I have been practicing there for 5 laps, I just think it's going to be boring and monotonous as hell. People have no idea the stamina and strength it takes to run 500 laps at Bristol or Martinsville, someone who has never accomplished that would never hack it. Drivers have asked someone to reach up and shut their cars off after the race and some have to be helped out of the car at these tracks after a race. When my kid was kart racing he had a 200 lap endurance race on an oval, I worked hard on his kart moving the seat and wheel to get him comfortable, he didn't think it mattered much, kept saying everything would be fine, thought his old man was crazy or something. Halfway thru the race he pulls into the pit, stops and just sits there with his arms in his lap, I asked what's wrong, about a minute or 2 later he said he couldn't move, he sat there for another 5 minutes before he got out of the kart. At that point he realized that maybe he should have payed attention when I was talking crazy about the importance of ergonomics.

I think the game is much harder on your eyes than real life driving. You get very, very little feedback from anything other than visual clues in sim racing, since that is really the only receptor used I'm guessing that's the reason. We will see what everyone else thinks at the end of this race, I have a feeling it will not be a popular race with most. Many were vocal about the small Willow track, thats another rhythm track like Tskuba, people tend not to care for those races. It takes me about 3 laps to get into rhythm at Northern Isle, less if I have been practicing there for 5 laps, I just think it's going to be boring and monotonous as hell. People have no idea the stamina and strength it takes to run 500 laps at Bristol or Martinsville, someone who has never accomplished that would never hack it. Drivers have asked someone to reach up and shut their cars off after the race and some have to be helped out of the car at these tracks after a race. When my kid was kart racing he had a 200 lap endurance race on an oval, I worked hard on his kart moving the seat and wheel to get him comfortable, he didn't think it mattered much, kept saying everything would be fine, thought his old man was crazy or something. Halfway thru the race he pulls into the pit, stops and just sits there with his arms in his lap, I asked what's wrong, about a minute or 2 later he said he couldn't move, he sat there for another 5 minutes before he got out of the kart. At that point he realized that maybe he should have payed attention when I was talking crazy about the importance of ergonomics.
And yet I thought the Streets of Willow Springs was one of the better races these year. The race between you and John was entertaining even from the the driver's seat. I now wish I have made this earlier in the year when we had a bigger field but, I wanted it as the 4th of July race. If you know anyone who would be interested please alter them of our existence.

And yet I thought the Streets of Willow Springs was one of the better races these year. The race between you and John was entertaining even from the the driver's seat. I now wish I have made this earlier in the year when we had a bigger field but, I wanted it as the 4th of July race. If you know anyone who would be interested please alter them of our existence.
I felt that I had the Streets of Willow race well in hand, maybe I will have to rewatch it. I liked that race but I think many didn't like it so much.

I felt that I had the Streets of Willow race well in hand, maybe I will have to rewatch it. I liked that race but I think many didn't like it so much.
I liked that race way more than I thought I would. I avoided that track before that race, but grew to enjoy it while putting in practice time. It would have been even more fun with shorter pit times and fresher tires 😄

Honestly it seemed John and Bacon leave after the pit issues at Lago Maggiore. Well you, peppers, and I liked it. I think Gr.4 is the max I would go on the Streets Of Willow Springs layout. Now Big Willow could make the Gr.3 schedule next season.

I liked that race way more than I thought I would. I avoided that track before that race, but grew to enjoy it while putting in practice time. It would have been even more fun with shorter pit times and fresher tires 😄
The Streets Of Willow Springs has very slow average speed with very little Full throttle. Because of the high southern California temperatures and a count of 14 turns I believe on only a 1.66 mile course. So you get great fuel mileage from the lack of throttle but, very high tire wear.

What didn't you help you is ran too long on you tires. I have learned from tire testing that tires in Gran Turismo Sport have a slow drop of grip until they are halfway red. After a tire reach that halfway mark there is much more severe loss grip. In most cases I recommend you don't recommend you go passed that point.

However this race at Northern Isle Speedway may be an exception since you will lose 2 laps for your pit stops. It may be better run pass the halfway to eliminate a pit stop. It's hard to judge against the AI since they don't use Oval BOP in Custom Races.

I just watch my lap times instead of tire wear meters, when my lap times fall off it's time to pit.
As far as Maggiore pit issues they were self inflicted, you can't pass the pit entrance then back up to enter pits.

I just watch my lap times instead of tire wear meters, when my lap times fall off it's time to pit.
As far as Maggiore pit issues they were self inflicted, you can't pass the pit entrance then back up to enter pits.
You're lap times will slowly start to fall once you start seeing red on the tire meter. And will increase gradually until one of the tires reach the halfway point then you a more severe loss of grip. I have known about this for while and I take it into consideration when planning out my pit strategy.

I had the choice of tires x1 or x2 for Northern Isle Speedway. It was either too little or too much tire wear. Heavy tire wear is more realistic for a short track Oval. At least with the F1 I can get a little beyond half a tank of fuel before my tires reach that halfway point.

And yes I know that the pit issues at Lago Maggiore was self inflicted. That was the last race John and Bacon enter. I send them reminders but, I have not heard from them since then. Sadly with Peppers out there only 4 confirmed for this race.

And yet we wouldn't see the 500 lap mark that Cup Series run too but +300 laps should be reachable. I hope you didn't forget to practice this for race too. I finding a rhythm is recommend for a place like this.
Did a couple races here this weekend with pit stops and wow. My right shoulder started burning around lap 20. I found that everyone just rides the damn wall even with damage turned on heavy and the heavy damage doesn't do much to your lap time. However it might be taking a toll on your tires. No confirmation on that, just a theory. It's going to be a long long loooong long long race. Strategy and rhythm will be everything here.

Did a couple races here this weekend with pit stops and wow. My right shoulder started burning around lap 20. I found that everyone just rides the damn wall even with damage turned on heavy and the heavy damage doesn't do much to your lap time. However it might be taking a toll on your tires. No confirmation on that, just a theory. It's going to be a long long loooong long long race. Strategy and rhythm will be everything here.
No no the 500k season finale at Monza will a looooooooooong race. That race was scheduled for distanced not time. This race at Northern Isle Speedway will probably be the most tiring race of the year.

You can't truly wall ride and make time here. The friction of grinding against the wall slows down to much. The only place I you can get away with actually wall riding is turns 1 and 2 at Tokyo Expressway East Outer Loop.

I personally don't care about a few nips or scapes against. I've seen professionals do it and win the race. Aero damage won't hurt you much at a place this small top speed wise anyways. As for Aero and Suspension damage depend how much it affects your lap times. Remember you'll lose 2 to 3 laps from your pit stops.

It that time lose that will make a it difficult to choose normal pit strategy. I never raced a long multi stop race at Northern Isle. The AI doesn't use Gr.3 Oval BOP. So trying to use them as a reference doesn't work for this race. I'm in the dark for strategies here.

It'll be a long race because of the constant turn to the left. It will become mind-numbing sooner than later. In just the 30 lap races I was doing I was already finding myself thinking about other things other than the race haha. It will be easy to be distracted on this one, at least for me. Monza willllll be a long race but at least you're using your brain a whole heck of a lot more. Regardless, the race will be super interesting.

It'll be a long race because of the constant turn to the left. It will become mind-numbing sooner than later. In just the 30 lap races I was doing I was already finding myself thinking about other things other than the race haha. It will be easy to be distracted on this one, at least for me. Monza willllll be a long race but at least you're using your brain a whole heck of a lot more. Regardless, the race will be super interesting.
Don't forget it's Monza without the first chicane. That high speed right is terrifying. Especially at race starts.

Welcome to the Bristol experience unfortunately without the traffic only 4 confirmed. You, Fastone, me, and our new British Bulgarian.

Rhcpeppers is out for his anniversary. Racer283 and Pixteca out for work. No word from them John or Bacon since the Lago Maggiore race. I have not heard from racefan88 since February. His cars will go back to the dealers if he's a no this race. And if you didn't read recent post. Bruins4Life announced his departure from the series do to his work schedule.

Unfortunately since I can't legally duct tape people to their gaming rigs. I think are need of some new drivers. Not sure how to attract more people mid season. So if you know anyone who would be interested in this series. Please tell them about our existence.

You're lap times will slowly start to fall once you start seeing red on the tire meter. And will increase gradually until one of the tires reach the halfway point then you a more severe loss of grip. I have known about this for while and I take it into consideration when planning out my pit strategy.

I had the choice of tires x1 or x2 for Northern Isle Speedway. It was either too little or too much tire wear. Heavy tire wear is more realistic for a short track Oval. At least with the F1 I can get a little beyond half a tank of fuel before my tires reach that halfway point.

And yes I know that the pit issues at Lago Maggiore was self inflicted. That was the last race John and Bacon enter. I send them reminders but, I have not heard from them since then. Sadly with Peppers out there only 4 confirmed for this race.
Well it's obvious that the tire meter tells you when your tires are worn but why pit until your lap times fall off? I don't know about you but as long as I have fuel and can run a competitive lap time I'm not going to stop just because my tire meter hits the halfway point. It also depends on the tires, race tires will respond differently to the tire meter depending on the compound and sport tires seem to fall off way before the half way point of the meter.b

Last edited:
Well it's obvious that the tire Meyer tells you when your tires are worn but why pit until your lap times fall off? I don't know about you but as long as I have fuel and can run a competitive lap time I'm not going to stop just because my tire meter hits the halfway point. It also depends on the tires, race tires will respond differently to the tire meter depending on the compound and sport tires seem to fall off way before the half way point of the meter.b
No both sports and race tires have that massive falloff point at the halfway mark. Tested it out for yourself if you don't believe me to game's tire mechanics. I'm also not saying it's always the best time to pit at that point. In saying most cases it best to pit before allowing your tires get to pass that halfway point. This race however may be a rare case where it's better to push beyond that halfway point if you can eliminate a pit stop.

Back