GR3

• Thread starter mad_llama
  • 54 comments
the Chilli races require solid pace and consistency. The AI isn't better it's pace is adjusted upwards.

They are suppose to be a challenge vs the other races in the game but require you to drive at 10 tenths consistently without a lot of any mistakes.

Wait till you do the human comedy mission races....they are somewhat masochistic...
Haha thanks, yes I have only the human comedy missions left to do, doing a hour long race is daunting to say the least and I have to be in the right frame of mind for that.
and I just looked at the difficulty settings to ensure I had it on “easy” and I notice it says that “online races and some other races are excluded” so I am presuming this includes the Chilli races.
Believe me, I don’t mind the challenge, I enjoy it actually, I honestly don’t like when it’s a cake walk to victory. But what I don’t like is the fact that it seems as though there are inconsistencies with the performance of my car and the AI cars, that bothers and frustrates me and in the end makes the game not enjoyable

Fairly salient point.

There aren't many "kids" making their opinions heard on this forum, as far as I know.

We mostly are quite accepting of GT7's quirky shortcomings because we have a pedigree of playing the old games, but in reality it would be helpful to hear more from the current generation of gamers and what they think of it 'coming in cold' so to speak.
well I can tell you I’ve played since GT came out, I’m an old man gamer from the original PS1 days, and my son is 16 now and is a gamer and I was hoping to introduce him to GT because of my previous love of it, but he has played GT7 and has quickly lost interest after only playing since Christmas because of the things we are talking about here, plus the fact him and I cannot race against each other with a car of our choice.

And want to add, difficulty doesnt effect this race or any with chillies.
Can't remember but im fairly sure it says it on the difficulty selection screen, i could be wrong.

As for car, i remember winning it fairly easy with the Aston martin and Supra concept.
Pad user, most assists off.

Last edited:
Was bored, tried it out.

Standard Mazda RX-Vision GT3 (because Mazda), turned bown to BOP specs and then a little bit further to fit under 730PP with Racing Mediums - 500hp, 1268kg (compared to 513hp/1250kg).

Was first at the end of lap one, with two contacts from a Ferrari that just had to be where my left rear quarter was on a straight and an Audi in Spoon that just had to be on the apex while I was already right alongside him and on it - so not exactly bashing my way through.

I suck at Suzuka, and finished first by just over ten seconds with a 10'19 race time - 2'02.mid average fast laps. Mediums survived to the end, but I wouldn't like to have done more than one more lap on them.

Having just tried that mazda famine mentioned. Did a race on the Mediums and now Hards and achieved very similar times.. both being 10min 16secs 🤪 The pics are stock settings, power limited only. (Hards)

Attachments

• 20230130_042556.jpg
    20230130_042556.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230130_043010.jpg
    20230130_043010.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So the takeaways so far is this race is doable with standard cars.

I'm sorry OP but clearly this a skill dependent issue not a "can't be done" and is hard sort of thing.

Mileage varies in these things naturally but the harder races are just harder but not something that can't be overcome.

If you've done the licences and circuit experiences which for CE are almost all GR.3 cars for CEs then this should be a challenge but trivial.

What the races you are talking about are not designed for is pick up and treat them like the bash to win events new or old.

Being a GT fan from day one doesn't magically make you faster. Practice does and when I take my rose tinted glasses off I did many of the early GT races over and over because I wasn't as fast as the AI and it took brute force or dedication to get through them.

I do understand some of the frustration but thinking about it, it's a little bit of forced expectation that's the main issue.

Edit: to add doing CEs is not a thing of itself or indicative of fast drivers more about the effort to learn the track, and how to go fast round it at arguably a low A or high B pace.

Last edited:

I'm sorry OP but clearly this a skill dependent issue not a "can't be done" and is hard sort of thing.

Mileage varies in these things naturally but the harder races are just harder but not something that can't be overcome.

If you've done the licences and circuit experiences which for CE are almost all GR.3 cars for CEs then this should be a challenge but trivial.

What the races you are talking about are not designed for is pick up and treat them like the bash to win events new or old.

Being a GT fan from day one doesn't magically make you faster. Practice does and when I take my rose tinted glasses off I did many of the early GT races over and over because I wasn't as fast as the AI and it took brute force or dedication to get through them.

I do understand some of the frustration but thinking about it, it's a little bit of forced expectation that's the main issue.
I understand and agree with what your saying, but let me say this, if I started in the pole position in the race then I would be winning most times, like I have said, I am in no means a pro like some I have seen playing this game. I am however above average, my lap times are competitive. And I will eventually win the race in question, my point is that on the “easy” level, one race should not be this difficult when all the others are not. I don’t expect, nor do I want the races to be overly easy so that I can just smash my way through and no skill is involved, that would bore me and make me not want to play more than anything.

But let’s admit the AI in the game is designed to slow you down, and a rolling start from the rear is a joke.
You should be able to take a bone stock car without having to tune it other than maybe throw some tires on it and have a good chance at winning the race in “easy” mode and then it should progress from there.

The only time the races are so difficult is with a few select races, one being the GT Cup Gr3 race at Suzuka and that’s ok, but if I can win every race in the game other than that one, and achieve gold in all the license categories other than just a few, it tells me it’s not my skills that are in question, you can’t argue that.

A prime example of the obscurities in the game are easily seen in the Missions. They give you ridiculously poor cars to compete with and have cars purposely block you from getting ahead, that is a big tell in itself of how the AI is built.

Please don’t misunderstand my comments here as a hatred for the game, I’ve enjoyed GT since it’s inception and as a whole I still love the game. I just think it can be improved and if I was a new player never having played GT before and my first go at it was GT7 I would not be impressed, perhaps that is why so many moved to Forenza when it came out and why there has been such a negative outcry towards GT7.

Hey I get the frustration, but you are posting on the forum which has pinned topics at the top to overcome these things.

There are few bits to think about in what you said. Not dissecting or quoting but just generally musing.

Above average? The average person is expected to complete the game with effort and perseverance? The controls and races are mostly designed around average players or those slightly above as to make it a challenge (like all the previous GTs)

Rolling starts are awful, AI is awful but predictable.

Yeah sure starting from the front you win? Whilst I don't like the gameplay choice of rolling starts (especially online) I get how they are used to mask awful AI which is pretty easy to pass on all difficulties.

You are conflating a few things when you talk about tuning with the races you find challenging. To win them you don't need to tune a single car, they are all GR.3 cars and the AI regardless of difficulty will brake on certain apexes. It's designed to allow you to catch up or pass with one car being the "tough" one but that's not true it's the appearance of being the top car until late in the race.

The mission races 1-7 are easily doable except the drift ones towards the end because my god is that hard to string the sectors together!

The missions don't throw you in to rubbish cars, they give you a competitive car to get the most out of (ignoring the missions that let you use your own cars...)

We all think the game can be improved and has many flaws.

But I mean this fairly, as a new player you have to do the Menus and love or hate them are a very slow but rewarding introduction to the game as a new player? Cars, exposing you to licences, unlocking circuits as you go, championships and races as you go? So as a new to the game player it's probably not as awful as we who post on here think?

I understand and agree with what your saying, but let me say this, if I started in the pole position in the race then I would be winning most times, like I have said, I am in no means a pro like some I have seen playing this game. I am however above average, my lap times are competitive. And I will eventually win the race in question, my point is that on the “easy” level, one race should not be this difficult when all the others are not. I don’t expect, nor do I want the races to be overly easy so that I can just smash my way through and no skill is involved, that would bore me and make me not want to play more than anything.

But let’s admit the AI in the game is designed to slow you down, and a rolling start from the rear is a joke.
You should be able to take a bone stock car without having to tune it other than maybe throw some tires on it and have a good chance at winning the race in “easy” mode and then it should progress from there.

The only time the races are so difficult is with a few select races, one being the GT Cup Gr3 race at Suzuka and that’s ok, but if I can win every race in the game other than that one, and achieve gold in all the license categories other than just a few, it tells me it’s not my skills that are in question, you can’t argue that.

A prime example of the obscurities in the game are easily seen in the Missions. They give you ridiculously poor cars to compete with and have cars purposely block you from getting ahead, that is a big tell in itself of how the AI is built.

Please don’t misunderstand my comments here as a hatred for the game, I’ve enjoyed GT since it’s inception and as a whole I still love the gameI just think it can be improved and if I was a new player never having played GT before and my first go at it was GT7 I would not be impressed, perhaps that is why so many moved to Forenza when it came out and why there has been such a negative outcry towards GT7.
Hey I get the frustration, but you are posting on the forum which has pinned topics at the top to overcome these things.

There are few bits to think about in what you said. Not dissecting or quoting but just generally musing.

Above average? The average person is expected to complete the game with effort and perseverance? The controls and races are mostly designed around average players or those slightly above as to make it a challenge (like all the previous GTs)

Rolling starts are awful, AI is awful but predictable.

Yeah sure starting from the front you win? Whilst I don't like the gameplay choice of rolling starts (especially online) I get how they are used to mask awful AI which is pretty easy to pass on all difficulties.

You are conflating a few things when you talk about tuning with the races you find challenging. To win them you don't need to tune a single car, they are all GR.3 cars and the AI regardless of difficulty will brake on certain apexes. It's designed to allow you to catch up or pass with one car being the "tough" one but that's not true it's the appearance of being the top car until late in the race.

The mission races 1-7 are easily doable except the drift ones towards the end because my god is that hard to string the sectors together!

The missions don't throw you in to rubbish cars, they give you a competitive car to get the most out of (ignoring the missions that let you use your own cars...)

We all think the game can be improved and has many flaws.

But I mean this fairly, as a new player you have to do the Menus and love or hate them are a very slow but rewarding introduction to the game as a new player? Cars, exposing you to licences, unlocking circuits as you go, championships and races as you go? So as a new to the game player it's probably not as awful as we who post on here think?
thanks, I am new to this forum and haven’t had a chance to go through it very much, but look forward to doing just that so I can learn a thing or two, because even us old dogs can learn new tricks.
and as I have said, I do love this game and will strive to git gud 😜
appreciate you taking the time to respond

19864982-0F17-41ED-8C85-F26FF559DC9E.jpeg

here’s my latest shot at it, so a time of 10:43.430 isn’t too bad is it? I was in first place for laps 3 and 4 but made one slip in a corner and the Audi passed me and I couldn’t catch back up after that

View attachment 1226917
here’s my latest shot at it, so a time of 10:43.430 isn’t too bad is it? I was in first place for laps 3 and 4 but made one slip in a corner and the Audi passed me and I couldn’t catch back up after that

Not bad!!

I would almost bet you were attacking the corners rather than powering out of them, especially as the supra rewards short shifting (if you use manual)

Do a time trial (go to the circuit in that car) and do a few laps focusing on slower in and faster out especially in the supra and I think you'll be surprised just how much time you can shave auto or manual gears. Also don't be afraid to coast in this game as it actually allows you to carry corner speed vs attacking and late braking every corner. The way this GT works is it rewards exit speed not entry speed like previous games.

Not bad!!

I would almost bet you were attacking the corners rather than powering out of them, especially as the supra rewards short shifting (if you use manual)

Do a time trial (go to the circuit in that car) and do a few laps focusing on slower in and faster out especially in the supra and I think you'll be surprised just how much time you can shave auto or manual gears. Also don't be afraid to coast in this game as it actually allows you to carry corner speed vs attacking and late braking every corner. The way this GT works is it rewards exit speed not entry speed like previous games.
will do thanks for the advice

View attachment 1226917
I just gave it a run and won by 10.4 seconds with a race total of 10:19 (fastest lap 2:02.0) with the same car as you - so there's certainly some time you can still make up; seems there's a couple of seconds per lap you can find to properly serve it back to those robotic fellas.

I just gave it a run and won by 10.4 seconds with a race total of 10:19 (fastest lap 2:02.0) with the same car as you - so there's certainly some time you can still make up; seems there's a couple of seconds per lap you can find to properly serve it back to those robotic fellas.
if you don’t mind is the tune the same? same hp etc?

here’s my latest shot at it, so a time of 10:43.430 isn’t too bad is it?
Well... bearing in mind my self-professed sucking at the track, you're almost five seconds a lap slower than my attempt.

Weirdly my AI finishes in 10:30 give or take, and that's on Easy. Not sure why they're ten seconds slower for you.

I'd suggest you do the Circuit Experience if you haven't already, and if you have then do it again and aim to gold it. Use the Demonstration as a ghost to get each sector down to a fine art, then come back and try again.

I suck at Suzuka because I can't get any consistency except being consistently slow :lol:

Edit: Did another run. Of course I had three good race laps and one off (yay, Degner 1), as tradition demands for me at Suzuka, but a 10'12 in the same car - basically a stock RX-Vision GT3 on Racing Mediums and 501hp/1268kg/729.95PP.

I'm no genius/alien, but if the video can help you:

Last edited:
Well... bearing in mind my self-professed sucking at the track, you're almost five seconds a lap slower than my attempt.

Weirdly my AI finishes in 10:30 give or take, and that's on Easy. Not sure why they're ten seconds slower for you.

I'd suggest you do the Circuit Experience if you haven't already, and if you have then do it again and aim to gold it. Use the Demonstration as a ghost to get each sector down to a fine art, then come back and try again.

I suck at Suzuka because I can't get any consistency except being consistently slow :lol:
will do thanks for the advice

It wasn't hard, now was it ;)
Haha, it was very hard, I hope you all realize I’m not saying I want it to be easy, I like being challenged, I just want the challenge to be fair and I believe there are some things within the game that I notice that are not consistent nor fair.
I understand it takes practice to get good at any game, anything in life actually, but it is nice and more enjoyable when it is set at fair play and at intervals that can challenge you equally at each level.
If this race is an indication of what it takes to be good at the easiest level of the game then sadly I fear I will never be good enough to do it at the hardest level and that I am afraid is what stops a lot of people from continuing to play.
Anyway, I sure appreciate all the feedback and look forward to learning more from everyone here.
Happy racing everyone!!! 🍻🍻🍻

You gave your son a chilli race for his first GT experience? Oof. Sadistic. Wish I'd thought of that for my son.:mischievous:

The hardest difficulty can be challenging but when you reach a certain level, so can the easiest. The difference in speed makes the ai an accident waiting to happen.

I might be wrong here but it seems like the ai adjust to the pace of the player. It feels like it on the hardest difficulty and by the looks of the result screens in this thread, they look like they adjust in the chilli races too.

Edit: Did another run. Of course I had three good race laps and one off (yay, Degner 1), as tradition demands for me at Suzuka, but a 10'12 in the same car - basically a stock RX-Vision GT3 on Racing Mediums and 501hp/1268kg/729.95PP.

I'm no genius/alien, but if the video can help you:

that was a nice race you had, did you change the gear settings? seems like a beast shifting hard just wondering what sort of tune you have on it? thank you sir

that was a nice race you had, did you change the gear settings? seems like a beast shifting hard just wondering what sort of tune you have on it? thank you sir
Completely standard car other than the power/weight adjustments to fit under 730PP with Racing Mediums.

As I recall from this race, Suzuka doesn't have so many overtake opportunities and AI is specially dumb spatial awareness wise in this track, makes a little harder than usual to recover from the initial gap. But not horribly hard, there are worst stuff in the game.

The Tom's Supra GT500 was my go to car from the beginning, as it was a pre-order bonus.
The car is very solid in stock tunes, has more downforce than the more "regular" Gr. 3 but than lacks in top speed.
For Suzuka it isn't a bad thing having a notch or two more of downforce because there is only a place where you really loose time with lack of top speed, the uphill straight but the downforce just on the corner after that, the 130R, allows you to turn so much faster, that you don't loose a thing after all.

Apart from that, some other chili GT3 events are far more difficult to master. Just keep it on the black stuff, don't push to much on the rears (if you go for RMs) it will be ok.

If you think the AI in this race is insane and poorly coded, clearly you didn't race the WTC600 championship, with Suzuka as the second race. You can run 8-10 seconds faster than the guy in front until... the last lap or when you overtake him, it just turns 15 seconds faster than its previous pace. The rubberbanding to it's limit

Could be the air maybe? We know dirty air is a tad too er.. impactful, in GT7 - it might make sense that the air changing up as a car goes off line infront of you throws you off as well, with it slightly changing how the car brakes and turns.
Could be. But was air direction and windspeed a feature in GT5, 6 and Sport? If it was it was never advertised to my knowledge.

Could be. But was air direction and windspeed a feature in GT5, 6 and Sport? If it was it was never advertised to my knowledge.
Not sure either, fairly certain Sport had it to a degree but I know it's a thing in GT7 that has garnered a lot of complaints for being too strong - it might make sense to be that.

Back