Gran Turismo 5 On Board Tribute

• Thread starter Toffe
  • 10 comments
GTP_Toffe
I have created a new playlist on youtube where I'm planning on uploading on board videos from GT5.

My intention with this is to highlight how real GT5 can be and to give some of the replay angles more attention. I love the two extra on board angles that can be used when playing a replay and I can't understand why not more users on youtube are using them. (i.e. check the weider Suzuka clip below).

I use an Avermedia H727 capturecard connected with HDMI + virtualdub + lagarith lossless and record in 720p in 60fps, then re-encode with "insane" x264 settings to maintain as high quality as possible but with acceptable size. In some cases I'll even add a download link in the video description to that x264 encoded file so that it's possible to watch the video in very high quality, 60fps (youtube automatically re-encodes all 60fps videos to 30fps).

If you have any requests (or suggestions) for a certain car or track, please feel free to post them here. I'll add new videos here as I upload more. Here is the playlist on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMe_EbVJyA96uqxrqtuL3rVYwZPKkVG7D

Below are the first 3 videos I have made.

Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdk9lopen9nbzaj/GT5 Onboard Lotus Elise 111R '04 Trail Mountain.mp4

Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgss33qe0s8r0x4/GT5 Onboard Subaru BRZ '12 Special Route Stage 5.mp4

Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/szjrgew34z0b66j/GT5 Onboard Suzuka Honda wieder HSV-010 (SuperGT) '11.mp4

Last edited:
Wow, amazing.

60fps HD and insanely small file size for the quality you're getting.

How big is the typical file size before encoding to smaller size?

Also, if you don't mind, would it be possible for me to drive a lap then give you the replay file to make a video of the onboard. Or would it be better to just request an onboard lap instead.

And yes, I agree, the extra set of onboard cams are amazing in some of the cars, especially because they play at 60fps as well.

I always drive with in car view in premium cars, & those extra views in some replays are awesome. Shame PD didn't implement them for replays of onlne races. I hate chase cam, & seeing replays uploaded to you tube that use that veiw makes me want to vomit :yuck:, it makes GT look like a chaep game instead of a quality sim. Your quest to upload more on board footage gets my vote!

:)

Wow, amazing.

60fps HD and insanely small file size for the quality you're getting.

How big is the typical file size before encoding to smaller size?

Also, if you don't mind, would it be possible for me to drive a lap then give you the replay file to make a video of the onboard. Or would it be better to just request an onboard lap instead.

And yes, I agree, the extra set of onboard cams are amazing in some of the cars, especially because they play at 60fps as well.

Absolutely, no problems. Upload it somewhere or zip it and attach it here in a post and I'll make a replay of it :) If you just want to request a particular car or track that's okay too (but then I'll do the driving of course).

The typical uncompressed files are 7-10GB for a lap (like the Trail Mountain lap). When I record entire replays of races from the series I compete in (V-spec series) they usually end up being 80-120GB before I encode them to x264 .mp4.

VBR
I always drive with in car view in premium cars, & those extra views in some replays are awesome. Shame PD didn't implement them for replays of onlne races. I hate chase cam, & seeing replays uploaded to you tube that use that veiw makes me want to vomit :yuck:, it makes GT look like a chaep game instead of a quality sim. Your quest to upload more on board footage gets my vote!

:)

Yeah, it really sucks the onboard views aren't available in replays of online races. There's probably some reason for it though, maybe the ram was not enough to store from an online race or something. I also don't like the chase cam.

Thanks for the kind words, more videos are on the way!:)

Back