Gran Turismo 5 Videos - GamesCom 2009

• Thread starter MGR
  • 208 comments
Truly remarkable, from a graphical stand point. Who are these fools saying the graphics are not improved over prologue, the game looks way better to me, the lighting especially. And look at those trees, gorgeous:lol:.

The graphics are simply beautiful, theres truly nothing like it. Great to see someone who can actually drive. I reaaaly want this game so badly.

One thing I'd like to see what I haven't seen yet is your wheels to actually lock up in the corners. Why are the lights on during the day. Could this signify day/night?

Also when he hit the other race cars they didn't seem to be damaged. How strange maybe they just built a damage model for 1 car so far.

And if Kazunori Yamauchi hasn't decided what cars will see damage yet and if the game is close to completion does this meen they have damage models for all cars? Is it just a case of selecting them?

I've also heard things about updates and damages being included in later stages is this true? I can hardly think thats possible.

Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious

Last edited:
The graphics are simply beautiful, theres truly nothing like it. Great to see someone who can actually drive. I reaaaly want this game so badly.

One thing I'd like to see what I haven't seen yet is your wheels to actually lock up in the corners. Why are the lights on during the day. Could this signify day/night?

Also when he hit the other race cars they didn't seem to be damaged. How strange maybe they just built a damage model for 1 car so far.

And if Kazunori Yamauchi hasn't decided what cars will see damage yet and if the game is close to completion does this meen they have damage models for all cars? Is it just a case of selecting them?

I've also heard things about updates and damages being included in later stages is this true? I can hardly think thats possible.

Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious

Slow down... it's a demo. And there is a lot you can read, especially here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115870
:)

Jay
Thats what roof cam is for, if you included the hood in that "bumpercam" then you wouldn't be able to see much. Might aswell use cockpit view then. :)

Cockpit is too distracting with the wheel and dash. Roof cam is angled a little too high and I like to use the gauges for speed, RPM and gear selection. They just need to show a small portion of the hood right where the gauges are where it shows point of contact if you get too close instead of an invisble one. i guess more like a hood cam.

Hey, my 1st post :)

Have you guys noticed the paint scraped off the right head light (and some on the hood) on the Sub? It's in the last GIF of the JeuxVideo.tv column
The YouTube vid of it is worth seeing as well.

Sorry if somebody's already stated this, I skipped about 4 reply pages.

EDIT: Grrr sorry, two people already said this :(

Last edited:
Hey, my 1st post :)

Have you guys noticed the paint scraped off the right head light (and some on the hood) on the Sub? It's in the last GIF of the JeuxVideo.tv column
The YouTube vid of it is worth seeing as well.

Sorry if somebody's already stated this, I skipped about 4 reply pages.

gt5g.jpg

Here is someone who actually can drive. He managed to overtake R8, Blitz and almost Evo which happens rare on those videos.

[YOUTUBEHD]Up2Nafh4gZM[/YOUTUBEHD]

Here is someone who actually can drive. He managed to overtake R8, Blitz and almost Evo which happens rare on those videos.

[YOUTUBEHD]Up2Nafh4gZM[/YOUTUBEHD]

Woah cool, wicked spin out at the end :sly:👍
But then the crazy A.I. inevitably happened to ruin the otherwise near-perfect race lol 👎 :indiff:

Added to ridiculously large new Gamersyde videos inc the 60fps cockpit video to the original post. Also reduced the number of animated gifs to make it more browser friendly,

Woah cool, wicked spin out at the end :sly:👍
But then the crazy A.I. inevitably happened to ruin the otherwise near-perfect race lol 👎 :indiff:
Man no one is giving this new AI credit.. it use to be they were to slow.. now to crazy, Atleast they fight back. That race actually looked intence. in gt5p That audi R8 would have slowly slowed down and just fell back but no that R8 kept pushing forward, Not to mention the crazy psychotic evo. That lovingly nudge the players back rear quarter pannel..and sent him flying... Seriously you complained you wanted good ai, And it look's like your wish has been granted.. Honestly i have been waiting for reviewer to say the following statement for years....

The first surprising aspect of Gran Turismo 5 came with the AI. The opposition drivers are much more aggressive now than in previous games. They will have absolutely no problem taking you out of the race, and then further taking you out when you try to rejoin. It's easier to wait until the pack has passed and try to recuperate what's left. This in itself has made the experience much more challenging, and combined with the much tighter controls it looks like Gran Turismo 5 is going to need some dedication to master. Being aware of your opponent's position will be much more crucial in this game, so using the D-Pad to look around will become quite important, if you wish to remain on the track.

And yet no one cares.. What about the single player gameplay? Dont you want a challenge? Do you want ai like in GT5(agressive) or do you want AI like in GT5p Mildly competitive.... jeez..

I think they want agressive intuitive gentlemanly passive AI

Personally I love agressive AI... the kind that will have no hesitation in shoving it deep up the inside under brakes... Tagging your rear quarter to spin you is a little too "Grid" for me though.

However I remain optimistic.. Bring it on !!

Man no one is giving this new AI credit.. it use to be they were to slow.. now to crazy, Atleast they fight back. That race actually looked intence. in gt5p That audi R8 would have slowly slowed down and just fell back but no that R8 kept pushing forward, Not to mention the crazy psychotic evo. That lovingly nudge the players back rear quarter pannel..and sent him flying... Seriously you complained you wanted good ai, And it look's like your wish has been granted.. Honestly i have been waiting for reviewer to say the following statement for years....

The first surprising aspect of Gran Turismo 5 came with the AI. The opposition drivers are much more aggressive now than in previous games. They will have absolutely no problem taking you out of the race, and then further taking you out when you try to rejoin. It's easier to wait until the pack has passed and try to recuperate what's left. This in itself has made the experience much more challenging, and combined with the much tighter controls it looks like Gran Turismo 5 is going to need some dedication to master. Being aware of your opponent's position will be much more crucial in this game, so using the D-Pad to look around will become quite important, if you wish to remain on the track.

And yet no one cares.. What about the single player gameplay? Dont you want a challenge? Do you want ai like in GT5(agressive) or do you want AI like in GT5p Mildly competitive.... jeez..

I guess ultimately you can't satisfy everyone, even if its exactly what they wanted. Strangely enough, I actually like the agressive AI. When I'm not in the mood to race online, I may actually be racing and not just passing rolling brink of programmed driving. This might make step my game up in my driving quite a bit.

nobody tried to see the replay from other car?.. i mean... switch to the EVo cockpit, for example.
maybe the demo didn´t allow

What? Oh no no no no no lol I love GT5.
I have no problems with the A.I, I have no complaints. I love the new aggresiveness.

But I meant they kinda ruined it at the very end after the crash. The were still kind of in a line and weren't steering away from the Subaru (what can you do right?). And then the Ford just rams neatly behind the Audi without trying to overtake - I think.

I wasn't complaining, please don't think I'm one of those people :(
I like appreciating a lot of things.

:)

Absolutely, and it looks great.

I didn't see the hard hit into the tires before! Nice to see that they scatter now. :dopey:

I know it may be a small detail for some, but that shows just how much detail they are putting into the game. That is awesome that they scatter like that...I cannot wait to see more!

Meh, just a fancy version of every other car games damage model.

Was hoping for subtlety like folded or broken mirrors, panel damage,
squashed fenders and wheel arches, some tyre rubbing smoke and
the almost mandatory "bonnet in the face" view. It's good to hear
that there is a performance penalty for the damage at least.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll still be buying this one, but not for the damage. ;)

Thanks a lot for all the work put into the .GIF's!!!

Sorry for lagging so much, but I haven't come across this video till few hours ago. Hope it wasn't posted anywhere here before (there is a good chance it wasn't, since it's the Polish site's own footage):

http://tvgry.pl/?ID=557

For you non-slavic speakers:
* First, the guy makes some comments about the stand (as you can see it's pretty short), then simply launches the game;
* Bitches about the loadings [pronoucing the "loading" word extremely bad, BTW ;)] (gotta admit, here they look much worse than in Prologue, where I personally find them OK); Turns off the assists;
* He find the lack of the AA on the trees particularly ugly (video quality is not good enough to confirm or deny);
* He starts the race and makes some comments about the game;

As much as I wouldn't want to believe him, it's seems he's not far from the truth saying that the collision model is similar to cardboard boxes hitting each other. He might not be dooing good job as the driver, but you can clearly see, that car is bumping from the walls in extremely awkward ways. He's comments are harsh, but you really wouldn't find much fanboy-hatred (he even makes some comments indicating, that he is a fan of the older iterations of the game) in them.

Another big issue that is being mentioned is the fact, that game hasn't changed much for all those years. And altough I believe that you shouldn't change something that works well he isn't completelly wrong.

I just hope it won't be that bad in the final release and I'm blaming arcade mode (oh, the art of self-indulging). Still - quite a bummer...

Last edited:
Back