Gran Turismo 6 general Physics Discussion(as well as video)

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but it seems to me that the cars in GT5 has too much body roll. In the last clip of the announcement trailer where the GTR GT3 and the SLS GT3 are going around that corner, if you look closely you will see that both cars a have a lot of body roll. They are races cars, they should not have a lot of body rolls. This concerns me a little bit.
I think it has just the right amount.

HOD9-17-08016.jpg

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but it seems to me that the cars in GT5 has too much body roll. In the last clip of the announcement trailer where the GTR GT3 and the SLS GT3 are going around that corner, if you look closely you will see that both cars a have a lot of body roll. They are races cars, they should not have a lot of body rolls. This concerns me a little bit.

If you look very closely, even F1 cars have significant enough body roll. GT6 finally begins to get things right because GT5 was really wrong in that area.

Is it just me or does the body tilt seem a bit too much when turning at relatively low speed? I've only driven one car in real life behaving like that and that was a Mercury Grand Marquis, which is a huge and overly comfortable saloon. Seeing a Nissan Z with such supension physics puzzles me a bit. It looks like the suspension is made of sponges.

Yes I thought the same too!

Watching the first video from the original poster, when the car was running at very slow speed, everytime the driver steers right/left, the car rolls instantly wobble left and right matching the wheel angle.. that looks just not right.. body rolls should be decided based on how much G force not the wheel angle, and there should be some delay on that too..

Look at 0:37 to 0:41
It was only 22-28MPH!!!
If my real life car rolls that much at 25MPH I would be very sick after driving it!!

Last edited:
Yes I thought the same too!

Watching the first video from the original poster, when the car was running at very slow speed, everytime the driver steers right/left, the car rolls instantly wobble left and right matching the wheel angle.. that looks just not right.. body rolls should be decided based on how much G force not the wheel angle, and there should be some delay on that too..

It's weight transfer. You can have loads of body roll with 10 miles an hour if you move the wheel sharply enough and it really is almost instant.

Look at 0:37 to 0:41
It was only 22-28MPH!!!
If my real life car rolls that much at 25MPH I would be very sick after driving it!!

Because he makes extremely sudden and sharp movements which one doesn't normally do neither when driving nor when racing. If you do that in whatever car you have at 25 miles you can bet you will get a similar result. It feels like the driver was specifically testing for body roll.

Edit: Meant to paste on previous reply but oh well.

The tilt at slow speed is a little bit too much for me too. Real car deffo doesn't tilt that much unless you make sharp moves at higher speed.

We will have to wait for demo to see how it feels.

Because he makes extremely sudden and sharp movements which one doesn't normally do neither when driving nor when racing. If you do that in whatever car you have at 25 miles you can bet you will get a similar result. It feels like the driver was specifically testing for body roll.
Saidur Ali was driving one hand with a controller and holding a videocam in the other, and from cockpit cam, you can see he was cranking it pretty abruptly. I think the bodyroll is about right too,

I'm going to bring up the dreaded F-game, so no one take offense. ;)

Even though Forza and I don't get along, Forza 4 showed off some amazingly lifelike car dynamics, which I haven't seen in any other racing game. Surprisingly, Forza always lacked bodyroll until F4, while Gran Turismo always had it until GT5, go figure.

Anyhow, the reason I bring this up is that in my struggle to come to terms with Forza 4 in my one-day retrial of my other racing games, the one thing that I still appreciate greatly is how well Turn 10 finally modeled the suspensions of street cars, and how precarious it feels to take them to the limit around turns. It really feels scary sometimes, as it should on a good sim.

In GT4, I recall how we would take a stock or lightly modded RX-7 around the Nordshleife as fast as we could, and that was a white knuckle experience. Reaching 140mph on the first long sweeping section, Kottenborn and Schwedenkreuz was always a hair raiser as the little RX tended to begin bucking from the numerous undulations, threatening to send us flying off into the guardrails, and often did.

I decided to try recreating this in GT5 last night, and was quickly frustrated. I don't know if the road was paved because it became too much of a headache for the Nurburgring operators to deal with idiots going too far with their cars or what, but everything I tried failed to give me a treacherous drive. The car pretty much stayed stuck to the road on all compounds, just making it harder to take turns as fast as I wanted. All cars that I tried, unmodified save for various tire types. They all behave kind of like Formula cars of various performance levels, built to be stable and fast.

Most race courses have fairly flat surfaces, and most games have tracks that are silky smooth. But in Forza 4 on Hockenheim with a stock Golf GTi, even with a manicured track, the car was a handful. Of course it helped that F4 has no ABS to speak of and for whatever reason, the perspective in Forza has always been weird to me, and I rarely can take a turn comfortably, while I can in every other racer but Enthusia. But regardless, the tame little Golf snarls and fights you like a tiger as you push it hard, and the tires jitter and complain loudly as you roast them in an attempt to force the car to take turns recklessly fast.

I love reading the descriptions of the guys who were lucky enough to experience this early build of the GT6 demo, and seriously look forward to getting the Academy version in July. I'm hoping though that my Forza experience is similar to the one I have when I get GT6 itself in my sweaty palms this holiday season.

Thoughts about the R8 LMS video at the Nurburgring ?

would be great if someone compared footage with that to the real thing.

I saw the video. The way the car move is just like real life. You can see how the new suspension model work by the way the car moves on the bumps. Very life like!

It was amazing. Putting the visuals aside, the movement of the suspension could indeed be mistaken for the real thing. I'm very happy with the suspension model although I will reserve final judgment until I try it out myself:dopey:

Hello I upload a new gt6 video with a BILSTEIN Audi R8 LMS ultra #3 from 2013
Yes, and THANK YOU!! Simply delicious video.

Well, I may have to forget what I said in my previous post. The Nordschleife still looks plenty bumpy, and the stiff suspensions of those race cars look quite dynamic and freaking real to life.

Project CARS who?? I mean... well, come on, tell me this doesn't look amazing, and on an early build! :dopey:

Right, who hacked his account.......own up.
Hey, I have been known to be unbiased and honest. On rare occasions. ;)

One more fist bump to Forza 4. I hope I smell the stink of burned rubber in GT6 like I did when I played F4. That was unreal.

Wow,i'm stunned an shocked by how lifelike that video is, you could easily be mistaken into thinking it was real life.

Wow,i'm stunned an shocked by how lifelike that video is, you could easily be mistaken into thinking it was real life.

Tell me about it, I am watching the 24hr Nürburgring race since the start non stop, and after watching that video I was amazed by how the car behaves and how the suspension is working (actively and in the most realistic looking way possible).

Thanks to GT I started also to play rFactor (since 2007) and after that tons of simulators (well actually I own everyone of them on PC)...currently playing rFactor 2 which in physics is incredible and still getting impressed by the work PD is putting in their physics. Something that was needed without a doubt in the series.

People who plays with controllers don´t understand how important are the physics and the FFB in a simulator, but for me is a selling point above the rest of things.

I´m glad to see that and the car!! I wanted the Audi R8 LMS GT3. Hope to see one of the Porsches too.

I had a search on the thread and couldn't see it mentioned (correct me if I'm wrong), but has anyone picked up on this:

TpcSC4M.png

I'm refering to a "Driving Physics" option. This is something that was not in GT5, but was in GTPSP. You could change it from "Professional" or "Normal" (or something like that). I know games like Forza have this option. I don't know exactly how it works but I can only assume options like that make the driving physics easier to handle the car etc. for casual players.

You think it's the same thing here?

Back