Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Well, assuming they are really going to PS4, I think I may see their thought process.

According to the most recent available figure, the PS5 has sold 7.8 million units worldwide. Main GT releases have only sold under this number once: GT6. So there's probably an expectation of the number of copies they will want to sell. Then we have to take into account that, included in those 7.8 million, are scalped consoles, which even though count as sales, may not be in the hands of gamers yet. We also have to take into account that not everyone of those 7.8 million are going to be into racing games. Finally, we have to take into account the fact that access to the PS5 will still remain difficult for a while, as production tries to keep up.

All this to say that, if you stick only to PS5, you have a maximum of around 7.8 million potential users. Add in PS4 and you have another 100 million potential users, give or take. Go one step further, add Steam, that's another 20-30 million, perhaps.

It always ends up in a numbers game.
One thing to note there is GT6 selling (relatively) poorly. Why did it do that? Because it was releasing on an old console when a new one was already out, and because of that wasn't revolutionary in any way. It was mostly just GT5 with a bit more content. Players were already moving on to PS4, and didn't want this sub-par game.
Also a thing to note is Spiderman Miles Morales selling more on PS5 than it did on PS4, and there were way less PS5s back then than there will be in 2022 (or whenever) when GT7 will release.

As is your prerogative, but the interview does not explicitly say that GT7 (or God of War) is a cross-gen title.

That hasn't stopped a lot of outlets from running headlines stating it as fact however, and that's pretty cynical.

Nothing cynical about it. He lists 3 games: HZD2, GT7 and GOW2. The inclusion on HZD2 clearly indicates that GT and GOW fall in the same category. When he says „looking into“ he means games beyond those.

When i saw that raytracing gt7 footage from whenever that was, i thought immediatelly: thats not looking next gen at all, its just gt sport with higher res and raytraced reflections, but the engine is exactly the same, everything looks otherwise exactly the same. This news now is the explanation as to why.
Not to say it won't be a cool or fun game, but at least graphically it won't set any new standards, which usually GT or Forza games were meant to do.
Maybe the new Forza game might do it though, if they are not making it for the last gen that is...

This is just sad. Being a racing game fan today is very complicated to say the least. An ugly and empty track like Alsace won't look good even with some RT. Flat trees, ping pong collisions, static TOD and so on. And Poly won't work on two versions of the same track. This will be GTsport with RT and nothing more. And they can't even release a PS5 update for GTsport like every other PS studio. Please Forza 8 be a good next gen game!!
This

Nothing cynical about it.
The statement is not clear one way or the other - he lists the games as those where it would make sense to go cross-gen and that PS Studios would "continue to look at" doing so, not that they have done so.

To write this as if they have done so is absolutely cynical; most of the articles these headlines are attached to make it clear that the statement is not clear and that they have reached out for more information. But then the authors at the larger games sites might not be responsible for the headlines; that's one for the subs.

Nobody should be writing this as a done deal. It may prove to be true, but right now we can't say for sure.

Of course people are entitled to think whatever they wish, but games sites shouldn't be presenting this as fact right now.

According to the most recent available figure, the PS5 has sold 7.8 million units worldwide. Main GT releases have only sold under this number once: GT6. So there's probably an expectation of the number of copies they will want to sell. Then we have to take into account that, included in those 7.8 million, are scalped consoles, which even though count as sales, may not be in the hands of gamers yet. We also have to take into account that not everyone of those 7.8 million are going to be into racing games. Finally, we have to take into account the fact that access to the PS5 will still remain difficult for a while, as production tries to keep up.

All this to say that, if you stick only to PS5, you have a maximum of around 7.8 million potential users.
That would be the case if GT7's launch date was March 2021.

PS5 sales are tracking above 1:1 with PS4 sales. That means that by the time GT7 comes out in probably Q4 2022, there'll be around 38 million PS5s out there.

Last edited:
One thing to note there is GT6 selling (relatively) poorly. Why did it do that? Because it was releasing on an old console when a new one was already out, and because of that wasn't revolutionary in any way.
I think it not releasing on ps4 played huge role in why it was selling so poorly.

As for dynamic weather, aren't there games for ps4 with it? And with dynamic day/night cycle? If there are, then maybe they will implement it in both versions of gt7. The way i see it they have three options: option 1: both ps4 and ps5 will have dynamic weather and time of day. Option 2: ps4 will not have them, but ps5 version will have both modes, dynamic and static for crossplay with ps4. And option 3, the worst one: gt7 will not have dynamic weather and day cycle on both ps4 and ps5.
It being in the game or not is entirely dependent on what PD wants to do. It's not that it cant happen, it's more likely that the compromises that would have to be made in order to get it work just doesn't fit with their vision. The same compromises that would hold back the PS5 if it was a cross gen title. Both games will have to have the exact same features if it affects the game as a whole, they can't have one with it and one without, it doesn't work like that.

I think it not releasing on ps4 played huge role in why it was selling so poorly.
That makes little sense considering you just said:
with 100 milion ps4 consoles and with ps5 shortages, why they are not doing it yet.

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me either way. GT Sport is already cross platform. This of us that started with GT1, we've played without variable weather and ToD for the longest.
It's always been about the cars. As mentioned umpteen times, give us cool cars, competitive AI and cool circuits. Players will do the rest.

That would be the case if GT7's launch date was March 2021.

PS5 sales are tracking above 1:1 with PS4 sales. That means that by the time GT7 comes out in probably Q4 2022, there'll be around 38 million PS5s out there.

Completely right! Hate it when I make a mistake like that, but it happens.

Yes, the PS5 will continue to sell, so there will be more users. The only question now, is the percentage of GT buyers: will it be satisfactory? About 7% of PS4 owners bought GT Sport. I'm going to double this figure, because GT7 is likely to sell more. 14% of 38 million is 5.32 million, GT6 territory.

That could be worth considering.

That makes little sense considering you just said:
with 100 milion ps4 consoles and with ps5 shortages, why they are not doing it yet.
I guess situation is justifying releasing gt7 as crossgen now, at least to sony. As for gt6: maybe if it was released also on ps4, not only on ps3, it would sell better. As for weather, and other stuff gt7 related: i guess we have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Doubtful. We are in the middle of silicon crisis and some say it would continue at least for 6 month.

Doubtful. We are in the middle of silicon crisis and some say it would continue at least for 6 month.
Gosh, who knew? https://www.gtplanet.net/ps5-xss-xsx-shortages-20210407/

Despite the "silicon crisis", which started last year, PS5 outsold PS4 at launch and has tracked above 1:1 throughout. Sony's 2021 target is 14.8m sales - identical to PS4's first full year in 2014.

If the shortages ease, PS5 will start to move enormous numbers. 1:1 with PS4 after eight quarters on sale (37.7m) is pretty much the worst case scenario.

The difference between Poly and the other studios. God of War delayed. No official statement by Poly.

That's the point. I will be a GT fan for life, but Polyphony's secretiveness and lack of communication is really annoying.

I know Jim Ryan's statement on the delay for GT7 is already enough to be considered official, but sometimes anything directly from PD is also welcome, damn.

Last edited:
Willing to guarantee that GT7 is going to be, without question, a lazily done up GT Sport rehash with the single player suite it should have launched with.

Please show the thread where GT Sport hurt you because…damn lol

Last edited:
The statement is not clear one way or the other

This just sums up Sony's entire messaging about the PlayStation 5 since day zero though. The whole way through the process of announcement to release and subsequently for game announcements it has been a proverbial...nonsense show. If you're waiting for concrete confirmation, you could be waiting till the next trailer - lord knows when that drops.

This doesn't even surprise me in the slightest if it does transpire. It is clear that the belief in generations only works when trying to win a war of words with the green side and, understandably, Sony don't want to ditch a huge install base and let those people miss out whilst shortages continue.

Last edited:
I'm pretty appalled at the comments you guys are making. Even IF GT7 doesn't look as good as it could, even IF it doesn't have dynamic weather and instead has prebaked weather: are you guys not excited with the come back of a proper, good Gran Turismo Mode? You're all the reason racing games have crap single player modes, crappy AI, and focus more on online content. YOU'RE the ones who keep pushing graphics updates when the GT Sport photo mode already looks closer to real life than any other GT game. Can't you have faith for once that Polyphony will deliver for once?

GT Sport is already cross platform.
It isn't really a cross platform game. It's just that the PS5 happens to be backwards compatible with the PS4. GT SPORT wasn't designed for the PS5 which is why It's exactly the same as the PS4 Pro version.

This of us that started with GT1, we've played without variable weather and ToD for the longest.
It's no longer 1997 though. Things have moved on, including the competition. People have choises now. If GT7 isn't good enough, chances are they will buy something else. Static weather, low quality tracks that as someone mentioned, look like they've been made in GT6's track editor and flat 2D trees in 2021 (or 2022) is unacceptable for a AAA game that has been in development for years.

This just sums up Sony's entire messaging about the PlayStation 5 since day zero though. The whole way through the process of announcement to release and subsequently for game announcements it has been a proverbial...nonsense show. If you're waiting for concrete confirmation, you could be waiting till the next trailer - lord knows when that drops.

This doesn't even surprise me in the slightest if it does transpire. It is clear that the belief in generations only works when trying to win a war of words with the green side and, understandably, Sony don't want to ditch a huuuge install base and let those people miss out whilst shortages continue.
You could probably end that post at the first apostrophe :lol:

Back