Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,188 comments
"EVERYBODY STAY CALM"

tenor.gif

Well I don't normally watch these live events but given I am a bit of a 'loose cannon' with what to do tonight after work I may well watch since it's at 9pm for me.

If they do reveal the next GT it's going to be a 'wow' moment but I'm not expecting it but genuinely I am interested to see the games, I'm still very much on the fence about buying a new console as a lot has changed for me financially since the PS4 purchase back in 2014 but let's hope I get sold on the bandwagon hype! 👍

Next-gen GT shown tonight would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath. Rather be positively surprised than let down by my own hopes and dreams.
The CPU power and SSD will be a major benefit for racing games since they have to stream a ton of data on the fly. Forza devs have said something like the streaming system has to hold up at Bugatti Veyron speeds, and with slow ass HDDs it's a big pain in the neck to deal with.
For reference, PS4/Xone HDD is rated at 100 mb/s transfer speed, even lower in real world performance, to fill the 5 Gb of RAM available to games it takes 50 seconds in perfect conditions to fill it up, with the SSD running at 5.5 Gb/s it will take a little over 2 seconds to fill 13 Gb of RAM.

Last edited:
Next-gen GT shown tonight would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath. Rather be positively surprised than let down by my own hopes and dreams.
The CPU power and SSD will be a major benefit for racing games since they have to stream a ton of data on the fly. Forza devs have said something like the streaming system has to hold up at Bugatti Veyron speeds, and with slow ass HDDs it's a big pain in the neck to deal with.
For reference, PS4/Xone HDD is rated at 100 mb/s transfer speed, even lower in real world performance, to fill the 5 Gb of RAM available to games it takes 50 seconds in perfect conditions to fill it up, with the SSD running at 5.5 Gb/s it will take a little over 2 seconds to fill 13 Gb of RAM.
it could take even less time if CPU helps by decompressing (9 GB/S compressed)

it could take even less time if CPU helps by decompressing (9 GB/S compressed)
Exactly, which means that every frame could have completely unique data stored in memory. Cerny talked about how currently devs have to plan around the next 30 seconds of gameplay, and now that limitation will be lifted.
Personally, even getting a race in GT Sport loaded in 1 second would be pretty huge, no interruptions and wasted time waiting for things to load. You choose an event and BAM, you're racing straight away. Sounds very exciting to me.

Back