Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,947 comments
Yeah but it was more the dearth of information before that I was referring to, from 2006 to 2009.

In 2006 there was GTHD and in 2007 there was the GT5 Prologue demo and then GT5 Prologue, arguably one of the best GTs ever. But people forget...

RUI
In 2006 there was GTHD and in 2007 there was the GT5 Prologue demo and then GT5 Prologue, arguably one of the best GTs ever. But people forget...

I don't forget, I'm meaning there was little to no updates on GT5 itself in that period. Without those prologues and demos this time around things are going to be pretty quiet.

Are there better heads up than a demo (GTHD) + another demo (GT5Pdemo)+ something that to some was still a demo (GT5P)?

RUI
Are there better heads up than a demo (GTHD) + another demo (GT5Pdemo)+ something that to some was still a demo (GT5P)?

Did they keep us updated on when the full game was coming out? Did they give any details on the full game at regular intervals? Not that I recall, just small nuggets of info came from Kaz interviews up until E3 2009.

And the point is, we're not going to have those demos this time so we're just going to have silence for quite some time, IMO.

But as ever, we'll see.

GT7 to PS plus confirmed

upload_2021-2-26_21-9-1.png

Unless Kaz grants interviews, we don't hear about games for months.

Kaz gives an interview in which he talks grandly about all the amazing things that will be in the game. And then people are disappointed when those things either aren't in the game or are bare shadows of what he was talking about.

Kaz interviews are arguably worse than nothing, as they're full of misinformation and it's impossible to disentangle it from the real information about the game. As much as I think that Polyphony should communicate better with it's fans, Kaz should not be the one to do it. He gets far to excited to talk about distant future possibilities when people just want concrete information about the next game.

Let him do his thing if they must, because his ideas are legitimately interesting most of the time. I'd watch a video of Kaz just talking about what he thinks a racing game will look like in ten years. But put a disclaimer under him that he's not speaking about GT7 specifically, and hire someone else who is able to talk factually and clearly about the upcoming game.

And before someone claims it's a language barrier and that we just don't understand what he's saying properly, I speak enough Japanese to know that it's really not. Kaz just can't separate what he wants from what exists when it comes to information about his game. That's okay, public communications is a hard job and not everyone is naturally good at it. So hire someone who is.

Kaz gives an interview in which he talks grandly about all the amazing things that will be in the game. And then people are disappointed when those things either aren't in the game or are bare shadows of what he was talking about.

Kaz interviews are arguably worse than nothing, as they're full of misinformation and it's impossible to disentangle it from the real information about the game. As much as I think that Polyphony should communicate better with it's fans, Kaz should not be the one to do it. He gets far to excited to talk about distant future possibilities when people just want concrete information about the next game.

Let him do his thing if they must, because his ideas are legitimately interesting most of the time. I'd watch a video of Kaz just talking about what he thinks a racing game will look like in ten years. But put a disclaimer under him that he's not speaking about GT7 specifically, and hire someone else who is able to talk factually and clearly about the upcoming game.

And before someone claims it's a language barrier and that we just don't understand what he's saying properly, I speak enough Japanese to know that it's really not. Kaz just can't separate what he wants from what exists when it comes to information about his game. That's okay, public communications is a hard job and not everyone is naturally good at it. So hire someone who is.

Very true. I feel like I've seen stories of community managers being hired in the past few years but nothing ever seems to come of it. They had someone run that Pit Stop blog for a couple of years before predictably abandoned it but that was never game focussed anyway.

Right now all we have are the Sony marketing kids on social media making do with whatever scraps PD feed them, which seemingly since June has just been the same trailer we already saw.

Last edited:
I think it's Sony who are in charge of all of the marketing in the first place. They will have acess to far more than what we have received, they will just have decided not to release it, likely due to early knowledge the release was not set in stone for 2021. Correct me if I'm wrong, but far as I can remember, Polypohny have never attended game shows except as part of a Sony showcase.

It's less a case of Polyphony feeding Sony scraps and more a case of Sony deciding not to release more information yet. Marketing is an art, the lack of information annoys us, becuase we're big enough fans to be a part of this community and are capable of keeping hype going ourselves. But promoting something too soon can actually reduce interest at launch, I make these kind of calls (not with video games) in my work all the time. Choosing when to market and release certain services, advertising webinars etc. I don't make those calls single handedly, we have a marketing department who I work closely with, but it's not a case of just realsing whatever information you can and letting the interest handle itself.

Last edited:
I think it's Sony who are in charge of all of the marketing in the first place. They will have acess to far more than what we have received, they will just have decided not to release it, likely due to early knowledge the release was not set in stone for 2021. Correct me if I'm wrong, but far as I can remember, Polypohny have never attended game shows except as part of a Sony showcase.

It's less a case of Polyphony feeding Sony scraps and more a case of Sony deciding not to release more information yet. Marketing is an art, the lack of information annoys us, becuase we're big enough fans to be a part of this community and are capable of keeping hype going ourselves. But promoting something too soon can actually reduce interest at launch, I make these kind of calls (not with video games) in my work all the time. Choosing when to market and release certain services, advertising webinars etc. I don't make those calls single handedly, we have a marketing department who I work closely with, but it's not a case of just realsing whatever information you can and letting the interest handle itself.

Yes I know they're not going to release anything now, as I've said already in other posts. Radio silence is the mode now. I was just speaking more generally in how PD (and indeed Sony) market and promote GT games. Even when they are in full on promo mode a few months/weeks out from release of a game it's never exactly a barrage of info and customer/fan interaction. That's just not how they operate. They just upload the car list and track lists on a soulless website whenever they feel it's time, along with the features, aided by a few Kaz interviews in the press.

Also of note is when they release DLC. Other similar studios, all of which are also controlled by a publisher, will tease and engage with fans in the guessing of cars before finally unveiling them. A bit of fun and engagement. Kaz uploaded a silhouette of the cars on his personal twitter and.....that's about it.

That's the thing. Kaz has said in the past, they don't look at what other games are doing, it shows. If Kaz has had a change in thought, I don't know.

I really hope tuning gets an overhaul. Not only do I hope any bugs get fixed, but I think it should be more intuitive. I don't think we should all have to either copy tunes from other people, or just tinker around with tuning indefinitely. I do think, however, that NFS Carbon's way of doing it was what I somewhat had in mind, though I also fully acknowledge that NFS is purely an arcade racer whereas GT is more on the "sim" end of the scale.

Either way, I really want tuning to be fun, not tedious.

I just watched Boosted Media's video from a week ago titled "The Sim Racing Problem Nobody Talks About" where, around the four minute mark, he says that Gran Turismo 7 appears to be going the way of Project Cars 3 (abandoning all semblance of sim racing and going full arcade).

Is anyone worried that this might happen? Has there been any indication? I know that the GT7 trailer showed a driver doing things that if I had tried, I would have spun out but I just chalked it up to it just being a trailer.

Idk..it worries me that this might happen.

Last edited:
I just watched Boosted Media's video from a week ago titled "The Sim Racing Problem Nobody Talks About" where, around the four minute mark, he says that Gran Turismo 7 appears to be going the way of Project Cars 3 (abandoning all semblance of sim racing and going full arcade).

Is anyone worried that this might happen? Has there been any indication? I know that the GT7 trailer showed a driver doing things that if I had tried, I would have spun out but I just chalked it up to it just being a trailer.

I'm not concerned at all, what basis was that statement made? Is he a Polyphony employee? If not, he's talking out of his proverbial and speculating with zero evidence or logic behind his comments.

There's zero evidence that GT7 will be any less of a sim than GT Sport is, and zero evidence it will be any more of one than GT Sport is. the actual gamplay footage we've already seen doesn't show a game that's gone "full arcade" nor does it show a notable swing the other way.

Some random youtuber (or whatever) saying GT7 is going full on arcade is likely just looking for controversial statements to generate chatter about his channel.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned at all, what basis was that statement made? Is he a Polyphony employee? If not, he's talking out of his proverbial and speculating with zero evidence or logic behind his comments.

There's zero evidence that GT7 will be any less of a sim than GT Sport is, and zero evidence it will be any more of one than GT Sport is. the actual gamplay footage we've already seen doesn't show a game that's gone "full arcade" nor does it show a notable swing the other way.

Some random youtuber (or whatever) saying GT7 is going full on arcade is likely just looking for controversial statements to generate chatter about his channel.
I agree but it still had me worried because he said it in passing. It wasn't clickbait or anything. I thought maybe he saw something in the trailer that I didn't.

I would be devastated if they took a step or two backwards. Now my mind is racing with the worst possible scenarios, like Sony looking at the sales of PC3 and thinking "Yeah, let's do that".

His main point is talking about the split in the community between people that drive for fun and people that take it seriously.

His point about games devolving in terms of simulation inputs is presented as a supporting argument for companies that grant users that instant gratification of racing.

And he has a point, to be frank. GTS is vastly narrower in focus than the previous titles, and that has mainly to do with the fact that people that drive in GTS love the idea of racing, not racing in it of itself.

To clarify, when GTS's Sport Mode first started out and FIA races were introduced, a lot of users complained about the ability for drivers to tune their cars under the BOP. This meant that users that were more serious about racing had an upper hand because they understood suspension mechanics. The more casual racer, who is not necessarily a slower driver, doesn't want to deal with car setups on a track to track basis and tweak and tune; they just want to race.

That led to PD removing tuning altogether in Daily Races as well as FIA races. The BOP now includes a generic tune for all cars involved and doesnt reflect the true handling capability of said cars. It creates more issues and more bias towards only a certain few manufacturers like Audi, Lexus, Porsche, and now Mercedes in GT3 races. That regression alone, killed the variety you would see in races.

So that's in essence, what his point is about.

Now, does it hold water? Not necessarily. GTS is a stepping stone, a buffer, if you will. It's something for fans of the franchise to sink their teeth into, as well as a testing platform for PD to try out the eSport genre.

This does not mean that GT7 will take the same path. Kazunori has explicitly said that GT7 will revisit the roots of the franchise and from the small snippets in the reveal trailer we've seen, that is definitely the case.

Also, don't overanalyze the reveal trailer too much. It's a marketing tradition at PD to always showcase an intense scene with a car spinning out generating massive plumes of smoke :lol: Only this time it wasnt at the Nordschleife.

It wasn't clickbait or anything

It kinda is. And that video alone did generate a lot more views and community engagement than his previous videos did. The next highest viewed is at 23k instead of the 50k views from that video alone.

It's almost a non-conversation. Just a circular discussion with no real solution to a non-issue, essentially.

Last edited:
Every GT has improved or at least aimed to improve on the realism of the last. I don't see why that would suddenly change now. And remember that nothing has come of that Michelin partnership physics wise as of yet. I don't know how much that partnership will amount to in the end but it at least implies a goal of more realism.

And remember that nothing has come of that Michelin partnership physics wise as of yet

The tire physics did improve in the game. Specifically race slicks and sports tires.

They are more realistic in terms of grip loss, dirt effects, and performance under diminished conditions.

The tire physics did improve in the game. Specifically race slicks and sports tires.

They are more realistic in terms of grip loss, dirt effects, and performance under diminished conditions.
But it's still a long way off Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Project Cars 2, RFactor and Automobilista 2...

His main point is talking about the split in the community between people that drive for fun and people that take it seriously.

His point about games devolving in terms of simulation inputs is presented as a supporting argument for companies that grant users that instant gratification of racing.

And he has a point, to be frank. GTS is vastly narrower in focus than the previous titles, and that has mainly to do with the fact that people that drive in GTS love the idea of racing, not racing in it of itself.

To clarify, when GTS's Sport Mode first started out and FIA races were introduced, a lot of users complained about the ability for drivers to tune their cars under the BOP. This meant that users that were more serious about racing had an upper hand because they understood suspension mechanics. The more casual racer, who is not necessarily a slower driver, doesn't want to deal with car setups on a track to track basis and tweak and tune; they just want to race.

That led to PD removing tuning altogether in Daily Races as well as FIA races. The BOP now includes a generic tune for all cars involved and doesnt reflect the true handling capability of said cars. It creates more issues and more bias towards only a certain few manufacturers like Audi, Lexus, Porsche, and now Mercedes in GT3 races. That regression alone, killed the variety you would see in races.

So that's in essence, what his point is about.

Now, does it hold water? Not necessarily. GTS is a stepping stone, a buffer, if you will. It's something for fans of the franchise to sink their teeth into, as well as a testing platform for PD to try out the eSport genre.

This does not mean that GT7 will take the same path. Kazunori has explicitly said that GT7 will revisit the roots of the franchise and from the small snippets in the reveal trailer we've seen, that is definitely the case.

Also, don't overanalyze the reveal trailer too much. It's a marketing tradition at PD to always showcase an intense scene with a car spinning out generating massive plumes of smoke :lol: Only this time it wasnt at the Nordschleife.

It kinda is. And that video alone did generate a lot more views and community engagement than his previous videos did. The next highest viewed is at 23k instead of the 50k views from that video alone.

It's almost a non-conversation. Just a circular discussion with no real solution to a non-issue, essentially.
I swear to you, I agree with everything you said, before you even said it, so it does make sense. I think I just have issues with being a worry wart sometimes. It does make absolute sense that he is referring to the lack of tuning and such.

Thanks for alleviating my unfounded fears.

Also, don't overanalyze the reveal trailer too much.
Speaking of overanalyzing, I think the idea that certain cars dominate certain tracks and therefore everybody choose to use them is malarkey. What appears to be happening to me is that average racers check what cars the top ten stars used and then choose that car thinking it'll put them over the top. They promptly lose or finish mid-pack, because they're average drivers at best. Certain cars having an edge only matters to drivers who can consistently drive at the limit, like Super GT and other Youtube stars and other excellent drivers who make up a tiny percentage of GTS users. We shouldn't be basing our perceived problems on the experiences of only a few people.

In my experience, as a perpetually B-rated driver, car choice basically doesn't matter. There are a few minor track advantages here and there but for the most part driver skill matters way more than car performance. That's the essence of the BOP system. Virtually all of these complaints people have are symptoms of racers who think they're way better at racing than they actually are. Just pick a car you like and go drive it.

Speaking of overanalyzing, I think the idea that certain cars dominate certain tracks and therefore everybody choose to use them is malarkey. What appears to be happening to me is that average racers check what cars the top ten stars used and then choose that car thinking it'll put them over the top. They promptly lose or finish mid-pack, because they're average drivers at best. Certain cars having an edge only matters to drivers who can consistently drive at the limit, like Super GT and other Youtube stars and other excellent drivers who make up a tiny percentage of GTS users. We shouldn't be basing our perceived problems on the experiences of only a few people.

In my experience, as a perpetually B-rated driver, car choice basically doesn't matter. There are a few minor track advantages here and there but for the most part driver skill matters way more than car performance. That's the essence of the BOP system. Virtually all of these complaints people have are symptoms of racers who think they're way better at racing than they actually are. Just pick a car you like and go drive it.

I will have to disagree with you on multiple accounts.

As a direct result of the BOP, certain cars - Audi R8, Porsche RSR, Lexus RCF, Mercedes AMG GT - are indeed faster than the rest of the roster in the lineup.

This creates the proverbial chicken or the egg conundrum in the races because as you said, people will check the leaderboards to see the fastest cars and drive those to increase their ratings.

Yes, driver skill plays a role (try to drive the Hurrracan Gr.3 instead of the R8), but that's only part of it. Those cars are at the top of the leaderboard because they have an upper hand.

While I would agree with you and encourage drivers to choose a car they like and stick with it, where's the fun in driving a car that is clearly being sandbagged? If the fastest car on Monza is the McLaren F1, why on earth would I, a driver trying to improve my DR, drive the Peugeot RCZ? Or the Acura NSX? I would choose the McLaren, or another car that has mostly straight line speed, like the Mustang, or the M6.

This regression towards instant gratification instead of simulation has removed grid diversity. The only place you see grid diversity is in lower rated DR lobbies where drivers still don't know what they're doing and they drive the cars they're a fan of, not necessarily the fastest.

The BOP fails at what it's designed to do when the cars don't have competitive tunes.

Back