Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,184 comments
I just watched Boosted Media's video from a week ago titled "The Sim Racing Problem Nobody Talks About" where, around the four minute mark, he says that Gran Turismo 7 appears to be going the way of Project Cars 3 (abandoning all semblance of sim racing and going full arcade).

Is anyone worried that this might happen? Has there been any indication? I know that the GT7 trailer showed a driver doing things that if I had tried, I would have spun out but I just chalked it up to it just being a trailer.

Idk..it worries me that this might happen.

I just went back to watch the video... what the heck is he referring to? The only GT7 build we have seen is just GT Sport with Trial Mountain and a couple new cars that have been added. The driving physics are exactly the same as in GT Sport.

Important to note: GT has never ever been a simulator, and never will be. (and thats a good thing).

It's also not surprising he has never featured Gran Turismo on his channel, because it really does seem like he is talking about a game he has never played.

Last edited:
I will have to disagree with you on multiple accounts.

As a direct result of the BOP, certain cars - Audi R8, Porsche RSR, Lexus RCF, Mercedes AMG GT - are indeed faster than the rest of the roster in the lineup.

This creates the proverbial chicken or the egg conundrum in the races because as you said, people will check the leaderboards to see the fastest cars and drive those to increase their ratings.

Yes, driver skill plays a role (try to drive the Hurrracan Gr.3 instead of the R8), but that's only part of it. Those cars are at the top of the leaderboard because they have an upper hand.
You're still assuming that the typical GTS player is capable of getting to the top of the leadership. My point was while that some performance differences do exist, the vast majority of players aren't skilled or consistent enough for that to matter. They'll never actually realize these performance differences during a race which means the differences are irrelevant. In my races for example I've never experienced any consistent trends, in any race at any track. The only way to really prove that any particular car is faster is to check the leaderboards, but again that assumes that typical GTS players can actually drive the cars to their limit which they can't.

While I would agree with you and encourage drivers to choose a car they like and stick with it, where's the fun in driving a car that is clearly being sandbagged? If the fastest car on Monza is the McLaren F1, why on earth would I, a driver trying to improve my DR, drive the Peugeot RCZ? Or the Acura NSX? I would choose the McLaren, or another car that has mostly straight line speed, like the Mustang, or the M6.
Again, because your skill level likely isn't high enough for any sandbagging to actually matter. Mine surely isn't. While the leaderboard drivers can push that F1 to its limit repeatedly, I can't, and any minor mistakes I make completely negates any advantage. Ultimately, the vast majority of players will always make mistakes in any car they drive which completely negates any advantage. That means that choosing the "fastest" car accomplishes nothing except illustrating that the person choosing it thinks they're more capable than they are.

This regression towards instant gratification instead of simulation has removed grid diversity. The only place you see grid diversity is in lower rated DR lobbies where drivers still don't know what they're doing and they drive the cars they're a fan of, not necessarily the fastest.

The BOP fails at what it's designed to do when the cars don't have competitive tunes.
Perhaps you're driving at a much higher level than I am. Maybe you're on the leaderboards. If you are then maybe this is an issue but for the millions of others players who aren't, it doesn't matter. I've seen no BOP bias, I've seen no lack of grid diversity, no car domination, no nothing like that, and I'm driving in B/S or B/A lobbies without a steering wheel, aka near the top of the curve where the majority of players are hanging out. I think that like most players who think they see what you're seeing you're actually just inventing a problem which is only experienced by the top 1% of players. That's not a very good sample size to glean problems from.

My point was while that some performance differences do exist, the vast majority of players aren't skilled or consistent enough for that to matter. They'll never actually realize these performance differences during a race which means the differences are irrelevant. In my races for example I've never experienced any consistent trends, in any race at any track. The only way to really prove that any particular car is faster is to check the leaderboards, but again that assumes that typical GTS players can actually drive the cars to their limit which they can't.

Again, because your skill level likely isn't high enough for any sandbagging to actually matter. Mine surely isn't. While the leaderboard drivers can push that F1 to its limit repeatedly, I can't, and any minor mistakes I make completely negates any advantage. Ultimately, the vast majority of players will always make mistakes in any car they drive which completely negates any advantage.
I'm not sure the gaps are so small, maybe for Gr.3, but as a driver forever stuck in D I've seen only FF cars being competitive in Gr.4, and in supposedly balanced two-car-provided races I've tried both for hours and found one multiple seconds quicker than the other; the meta must matter to some extent. More important though is that being in Australia, nearly every race I enter is against a mix of other D/S and D/A players, some very aggressive rammers and a sprinkling of A/S players who qualify first by 8 seconds and who I'll never catch.

Last edited:
THAT'S IMPRESSIVE GOD DAMN!!

PD used what looks like the same method of creating 3D scenes (although, with much lower resolution) during the PS3 era. For example, The canyon scene in that video looks super similar to this scene from the Gran Turismo 5 menu's.

As good as it looks, I personally don't think it will see any use in GT7 for anything other than scenes taking place outdoors. Polyphony have been creating some really nice looking indoor showrooms in GT Sport that don't need the help of photographs to make it look life like.

PD used what looks like the same method of creating 3D scenes (although, with much lower resolution) during the PS3 era. For example, The canyon scene in that video looks super similar to this scene from the Gran Turismo 5 menu's.

As good as it looks, I personally don't think it will see any use in GT7 for anything other than scenes taking place outdoors. Polyphony have been creating some really nice looking indoor showrooms in GT Sport that don't need the help of photographs to make it look life like.

What you dont get from the video is the effect of VR on tricking the brain. This has to be the coolest implementation I've seen so far.
When conditions are lined up with how good the car shaders are, and the exposure changing the lighting the right amount for a split second, it feels very real.
More so than a regular 3D environment in VR as realistic 3D/lighting is harder to achieve.
And the fakery in these VR scapes is probably faster and easier to make as well so I hope these were some sort of test they want to expand upon.
Since they are shooting more scapes for GT7, it would be a shame if they didnt offer more of these experiences of different places around the world for PSVR players.

Wait, those backgrounds are 360°? I figured they were just photos from one side, with a low res reflection map

I still don't understand how scape technology works. I thought people said that it's just lazy 2d background?

These were VR specific senes, regular scapes in game are a 2D bg with a 3D ground plane and parallaxing layers that they camera match so the car can drive between.

This makes me think again, what kinds of high-end technology PD develops over time, so many man-hours put into R&D and we only get to see crazy stuff like this thanks to a modding community. And this is just top of the iceberg. I mean, I understand not everything is meant for public, but PD must have such crazy prototypes of various things at the studios. I bet they’ve been experimenting with things that would spin our heads around.

Last edited:
This makes me think again, what kinds of high-end technology PD develops over time, so many man-hours put into R&D and we only get to see crazy stuff like this thanks to a modding community. And this is just top of the iceberg. I mean, I understand not everything is meant for public, but PD must have such crazy prototypes of various things at the studios. I bet they’ve been experimenting with things that would spin our heads around.

Yep, reminds me of the rumour of the tech demo for GT7 (from an industry insider) and that was back in 2013.

I'm not sure the gaps are so small, maybe for Gr.3, but as a driver forever stuck in D I've seen only FF cars being competitive in Gr.4, and in supposedly balanced two-car-provided races I've tried both for hours and found one multiple seconds quicker than the other; the meta must matter to some extent. More important though is that being in Australia, nearly every race I enter is against a mix of other D/S and D/A players, some very aggressive rammers and a sprinkling of A/S players who qualify first by 8 seconds and who I'll never catch.

I would say keep practicing and you'll eventually get out of that slump.

The best all-rounders in Gr. 4 are:
  • Mustang GT
  • Lexus RCF
  • Porsche Cayman
The best for tight tracks in Gr. 4 are:
  1. Renault Megane Cup
  2. Alfa Romeo 4C
  3. Toyota 86
  4. Subaru Impreza
  5. Mitsubishi Evo X*
*The Evo X has fallen off the top end significantly nowadays but it's still a reliable car to chuck around. Heavy, but reliable. It all depends on that week's BOP tune, really.

The best for endurance in Gr. 4:
  • Lexus RCF
  • Mustang GT
  • Toyota 86

Avoid FF, MR, and AWD cars for endurance races. They absolutely destroy tires. You need something with grunt that's balanced, like the RCF and GT, or something nimble and planted that can utilize an opponent's slip stream without ruining its own handling, like the 86.

Try to have fun with it, don't focus on your rank and try to drive clean. It's easier to drive defensively and lose a couple of positions than to drive aggressively without spatial awareness and end up in an accident.

Some people are just trolls and dont take it seriously. You cant really do much about that, just keep your head up and move on to the next race. I know it's a deflating feeling to have your race ruined but you gotta keep moving forward.

Best of luck 👍

Last edited:
Kaz gives an interview in which he talks grandly about all the amazing things that will be in the game. And then people are disappointed when those things either aren't in the game or are bare shadows of what he was talking about.

Kaz interviews are arguably worse than nothing, as they're full of misinformation and it's impossible to disentangle it from the real information about the game. As much as I think that Polyphony should communicate better with it's fans, Kaz should not be the one to do it. He gets far to excited to talk about distant future possibilities when people just want concrete information about the next game ...

That is my overall impression as well. He tends to wax on about "pie in the sky" ideas that usually do not make it into the final product fully flowered out in the way that he described them.

Kaz would be a good spokesperson for how nuclear fusion as a widely used general power source is just around the corner ;)

Last edited:
That is my overall impression as well. He tends to wax on about "pie in the sky" ideas that usually do not make it into the final product fully flowered out in the way that he described them.

Kaz would be a good spokesperson for how nuclear fusion as a widely used general power source is just around the corner ;)
I don't blame him for being ambitious. Game development is very dynamic and tons of stuff gets changed and/or scrapped. Just look at the Pokemon series for example - by way of datamines, there have been a lot of implications that GameFreak planned a "Pokemon Grey" and a "Pokemon Z" at some point.

Look, I know enough about game development to say that I know next to nothing at all, and we'll likely never know why certain things get changed/scrapped due to the secretive nature of game development. It could very well be that Kaz needs to keep quiet unless what he wants to discuss is 100% confirmed/complete, but as I said, I think he's got some room to dream a bit, especially since GT has typically been technically impressive in at least some areas. Then there's all the other stuff PD does, like that thing that GTPlanet wrote an article on in the last year or two that looked like it'd be part of a future track editor - I recall it being almost like an algorithm that auto-populates an area with some sort of city scape.

Last edited:
I don't blame him for being ambitious. Game development is very dynamic and tons of stuff gets changed and/or scrapped. Just look at the Pokemon series for example - by way of datamines, there have been a lot of implications that GameFreak planned a "Pokemon Grey" and a "Pokemon Z" at some point.

Look, I know enough about game development to say that I know next to nothing at all, and we'll likely never know why certain things get changed/scrapped due to the secretive nature of game development. It could very well be that Kaz needs to keep quiet unless what he wants to discuss is 100% confirmed/complete, but as I said, I think he's got some room to dream a bit, especially since GT has typically been technically impressive in at least some areas. Then there's all the other stuff PD does, like that thing that GTPlanet wrote an article on in the last year or two that looked like it'd be part of a future track editor - I recall it being almost like an algorithm that auto-populates an area with some sort of city scape.

I think that they will do the best possible achievable, of course... GT7 have a great potential on paper hope that COVID 19 will not ruin the development stage forcing Kaz to scrap stuff or change their plans. I am optimistic, as I always been.... But, we'll see....

I hope GT 7 gets delayed for 2023 if that means they will make proper penalty system

Because in GT Sport penalty system became a joke, total joke
I hope GT 7 gets delayed for 2023 if that means they will make proper penalty system

..But then, I want Trial Mountain and the Porsche 917k before. My favorite car, with gulf design!

I think calculations are server based so nothing change in gt7 and also new system (so almost no penalties for contacts) is still better than last one ridiculous that was almost impossible to race and don't get penalty.

Latest Posts

Back