Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,925 comments
Kaz said he does.

He has said a lot of things. However some aspects of game development take precedence over others. Kazunori has not been able to showcase his proper vision due to time/budget constraints, hardware limitations, and the latest addition, the pandemic.

Maybe that will change with GT7, but take his wishes with a grain of salt. Treat it as his personal checklist/wishlist than an actual objective in the development process.

Last edited:
I think Gran Turismo can learn from Assetto Corsa when it comes to driving assists and the tyres. For each driving assist, you get three options: On, Factory or Off. So if you want to run without ABS, you can set it to "Off". If you want to go without ABS on cars that didn't have it from factory, you can set it to "Factory". Same thing goes for the TC and Stability Control. Allowing these options will satisfy all players. For the tyres, Assetto Corsa gives you a selection based on type of car and period. In some cases, only 1 tyre is available - the Ford Capri 1300 (Touring Car) for example can only use 70's slicks. That's the only choice. For Group C cars, you can choose from 3 tyre compounds - 90's Hard, 90's Medium and 90's Soft. You can choose between Hard, Medium and Soft tyres on GT3 cars but they'll give you more grip compared to what a Group C car can run. That's the important distinction to make here - not every car will run on the same modern compound. PD need to limit tyre choice based on this, because it's hilarious to see classic race cars from the 60's take corners like modern race cars. They need to slide around!

Last edited:
It probably wouldn't break my heart, it will save me $500-$600 cause I won't need to buy a PS5 and possibly a lot more if I dont buy a DD wheel.

Happy for you, I would have a trauma if that would happen. I mean, it's highly unlikely that it get cancelled but you never know....life is unpredictable

I hope GT 7 gets delayed for 2023 if that means they will make proper penalty system

Because in GT Sport penalty system became a joke, total joke

Let me know how that works out for you.
I'm afraid that as far as Ployphony is concerned the penalty system is just fine.

Happy for you, I would have a trauma if that would happen. I mean, it's highly unlikely that it get cancelled but you never know....life is unpredictable
That won’t happen. At least the next years and over the PS5-generation, Sony definitive need a systemseller like Gran Turismo. If they don’t want get eaten up by Microsoft and theirs billions of shopping tours. In corona time, Microsoft had gotten a lot of money with their services. What the future with cloud after the hardware consoles will bring, actually no one will know.

I could imagine, Sony will make Gran Turismo 7 to a service-model over the PS5-generation, with pay-as-you-go addon content.

Last edited:
The problem with PD doing logical types of things is, Kaz said they don't look at what other games are doing.

Now, PD do come up with some clever features, but those features aren't completed or we don't see the whole feature. We got changeable rain and I think heavy snow was on the SSX bridge track, at night. PD have given us such an up and down ride through the series. All they have to do is keep everything we've gotten from GT1-GTS and just keep adding features. That hasn't been the case in the franchise.
They take away. Then, add something new. Take away. Then, add something new. Take away again and don't refine features. This is no matter how much buyers/fans complain. PD adding GT League was still half of what the feature it was in past games.

At least the next years and over the PS5-generation, Sony definitive need a systemseller like Gran Turismo.

Im not at all convinced a game like Gran Turismo is much of a system seller these days. There is the OLD old school GT players, but other than that there is better options for many things nowadays - options that just didnt exist back in the golden era of Gran Turismo.

There are better sims for simracers - even on consoles. There is the king of freeroam among abundance of other car collector tuner racing games - Forza Horizon, which I really cant image GT7 could ever rival in that genre. Gran Turismo does have a place as a easy access simcade everyday racing game for motorsport culture enthusiasts - just as GT Sport has shown. But even myself as one of the very core target group of GT / GT sport, I really dont see that big of an effect in system sales, as players demand so much variety these days and that variety is easily available to them.

Gran Turismo isnt the only THE car game it used to be back in ps1/ps2 era. Its getting more and more niche - in GT7 case not by making the game any more specialized as it was, but because the gaming world around it has got tenfold vaster.

Last edited:
Im not at all convinced a game like Gran Turismo is much of a system seller these days. There is the OLD old school GT players, but other than that there is better options for many things nowadays - options that just didnt exist back in the golden era of Gran Turismo.

There are better sims for simracers - even on consoles. There is the king of freeroam among abundance of other car collector tuner racing games - Forza Horizon, which I really cant image GT7 could ever rival in that genre. Gran Turismo does have a place as a easy access simcade everyday racing game for motorsport culture enthusiasts - just as GT Sport has shown. But even myself as one of the very core target group of GT / GT sport, I really dont see that big of an effect in system sales, as players demand so much variety these days and that variety is easily available to them.

Gran Turismo isnt the only THE car game it used to be back in ps1/ps2 era. Its getting more and more niche - in GT7 case not by making the game any more specialized as it was, but because the gaming world around it has got tenfold vaster.
Not only GT, Forza Horizon does eclipse Forza Motorsport (something that is actually comparable to GT) too. And I mean, even Forza Motorsport is widely regarded as less realistic than GT, and Horizon is even less so, just that Horizon is still significantly more realistic than other freeroam games which are purely arcade. Horizon is the game that is applicable to casuals (free roam with free terrain driving) that also has huge number of cars, that'll surely eclipse other free-roam games which are arcade games with few cars, previously games with huge cars are only sims or semi-sims.

Gran Turismo 7 has 10.5 million YouTube view! Forza Motorsport 1 Milion.. That shows the interest..

But.. As long as Kaz is Sony Vice President, and an „old school“ man like Jim Ryan is head of PlayStation, his game will come out! It’s official announced, so you can await the launch! Don’t forget 25 years next year, Jim Ryan will given an interview with kaz next year, you will see.
So what is Kaz doing? Pulling his fingers in his nose the last years?? They’re still devileping GT7, that’s fact, and certainly do that not for fun

Last edited:
He has said a lot of things. However some aspects of game development take precedence over others. Kazunori has not been able to showcase his proper vision due to time/budget constraints, hardware limitations, and the latest addition, the pandemic.

Maybe that will change with GT7, but take his wishes with a grain of salt. Treat it as his personal checklist/wishlist than an actual objective in the development process.
I know that of course and I also know he has not delivered a lot of things. However, he talked about collision physics on many occasions.

I think the problem may be in the balance side of things. GT needs to stay attractive for casual players in order for PD to fullfil their expensive visions. Make the game too hard to play and it will fail at sales. Just like ACC.

Last edited:
GT needs to stay attractive for casual players in order for PD to fullfil their expensive visions.

I personally dont think so. Might be personal preference but I think it's time GT embraced their own moto and became a proper sim.

Make the game too hard to play and it will fail at sales. Just like ACC.

I dont know where you got that notion. ACC is doing just fine, and the British GT Pack gave it even more life.

Last edited:
I personally dont think so. Might be personal preference but I think it's time GT embraced their own moto and became a proper sim.

I dont know where you got that notion. ACC is doing just fine, and the British GT Pack gave it even more life.
GT is a title with 80+ million sales. GT having that is due to them being relatively more accessible to casual players compared to the hardcore sims. The hardcore sims like ACC may be doing "fine", in terms of reception or something, but the mass appeal is nowhere near. You may be someone who can get a hang to any kind of racing including hardcore, but not necessarily other people.

GT is a title with 80+ million sales. GT having that is due to them being relatively more accessible to casual players compared to the hardcore sims. The hardcore sims like ACC may be doing "fine", in terms of reception or something, but the mass appeal is nowhere near. You may be someone who can get a hang to any kind of racing including hardcore, but not necessarily other people.

A large part of that is inherent console tradition. We buy GT year after year because:
  1. We grew up with the game, so nostalgia is a big driver
  2. It's a SONY classic
  3. We own the latest SONY console, therefore we await the latest GT.
Should AC/ACC, and other proper sims had the same privileges, I assure you they would have +80mil sales.

Context matters.

Dude... compare it to the sales of GT series. It’s a miniscule development team compared to PD, with little costs. PD spends so much money on development, licensing, all the sponsoring, not to mention GT championship costs and so on. They can’t just make GT a hardcore sim. And I highly doubt they ever will.

I have forgotten to say, GT is simple DNA of PlayStation. A lot of people simple see GT as synonym for PlayStation. It’s their heart. And they haven’t got another series what nearly everyone knows so far. Playstation need Gran Turismo, and Gran Turismo need PlayStation. Look at FIA Online race. This segment is massive increasing since pandemic and GT fia was coming to right time.

i personally don’t want a hardcore sim for every day use. When I come from work, I want a chilled race with different types of cars, and not really hardcore races. Gt should use a huge band of cars and they do!

Last edited:

ACC does just fine, for a small studio with an appropriately sized budget. They know the size of their target market and plan accordingly. I suspect that if a Gran Turismo game had sales equivalent to ACC that would be considered a massive failure for GT, if only because there would be no chance of recouping the costs that went into making it.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/02/r...-exceeds-e100m-in-sales-across-all-platforms/

Kunos does really well for what they are, but they're not in the same ballpark as Polyphony and they're not trying to be.

ACC does just fine, for a small studio with an appropriately sized budget. They know the size of their target market and plan accordingly. I suspect that if a Gran Turismo game had sales equivalent to ACC that would be considered a massive failure for GT, if only because there would be no chance of recouping the costs that went into making it.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/02/r...-exceeds-e100m-in-sales-across-all-platforms/

Kunos does really well for what they are, but they're not in the same ballpark as Polyphony and they're not trying to be.
Sorry, but a race track game without the nordschleife, it’s for me a no go. I know, black pain doesn’t drive there.
Addition , only GT gives me the feeling, when I start it, I’m coming home. Games like acc have a boring menu and make me quick loose the want to play. GT is there unique what no other game has.

Last edited:
Dude... compare it to the sales of GT series. It’s a miniscule development team compared to PD, with little costs. PD spends so much money on development, licensing, all the sponsoring, not to mention GT championship costs and so on. They can’t just make GT a hardcore sim. And I highly doubt they ever will.

Why would I ever compare Kunos to PD with their SONY backing? That makes absolutely no sense. That's why I said context matters. You can't keep throwing the same irrelevant 80+ million sales comparison and expect to show that you have a "better" game.

Granturismo has and always will be a test drive simulator with a campaign thrown in. They're the jack of all trades, and the master of none.

They're accessible with a massive budget, SONY backing, and console history spanning back to PS1.

Yet, Kunos, with their focused objective in ACC, excel in the GT3 space. They know what their target is, and stick to it. You're comparing two vastly different teams of thought and claiming that one is failing because they're not making the same sales as Polyphony.

Come off it.

Edit: fixed spelling of Granturismo. Previously "Grantitusmo" :banghead:

Last edited:
Why would I ever compare Kunos to PD with their SONY backing? That makes absolutely no sense. That's why I said context matters. You can't keep throwing the same irrelevant 80+ million sales comparison and expect to show that you have a "better" game.

Grantirusmo has and always will be a test drive simulator with a campaign thrown in. They're the jack of all trades, and the master of none.

They're accessible with a massive budget, SONY backing, and console history spanning back to PS1.

Yet, Kunos, with their focused objective in ACC, excel in the GT3 space. They know what their target is, and stick to it. You're comparing two vastly different teams of thought and claiming that one is failing because they're not making the same sales as Polyphony.

Come off it.

You’re saying SONY is backing PD like PD is some kind of burden. PD is generating sales for SONY, not the other way around.

I’m not throwing the sales as a justification for being a better game. My point from the beginning has been that GT can’t and won’t become a hardcore sim, simply because they wouldn’t sell as much copies, hence losing the ability to fund all the stuff they need to fund. How well ACC sells is besides the point, I only used the game as an example of how GT would end up. With terrible sales compared to GT as is.

Most importantly, GT has always been good at whatever it is that it’s good at. Be it a test drive simulator or whatever else people like, why they buy the game.

Last edited:
You’re saying SONY is backing PD like PD is some kind of burden. PD is generating sales for SONY, not the other way around.

What?

I'm saying PD has the financial as well as marketing support from SONY. PD is a household name, Kunos isn't.

I’m not throwing the sales as a justification for being a better game. My point from the beginning has been that GT can’t and won’t become a hardcore sim, simply because they wouldn’t sell as much copies, hence losing the ability to fund all the stuff they need to fund.

The only thing they need to fund that is "unique" in the racing genre is the Museum - most probably licensing, as the images aren't theirs to begin with. The other unique features such as:
  • Scapes Mode, which is again, sponsored by SONY as they are using their Alpha line mirrorless DSRLs
  • GT Championship, again, sponsored by SONY. I appreciate PD and Kaz for putting their game in new light and trying out the eSports section, but they have A LOT to iron out.
  • Lewis Hamilton DLC in GTS: More of a one-time invitational. Not a fleshed out time trial like their previous iterations with Jeff Gordon, and Sebastian Vettel (even that one was kind of meh).
Every other feature in the game, is standard development:
  • Tracks
  • Manufacturers
  • Track-side sponsors (mostly in-house)
  • Licensing
  • Trademarks
  • Physics engine
  • Sound engine
  • Graphics, etc.
So I don't understand where this viewpoint comes in, that PD is somehow hindered and is thus needy of a bigger production costs. They have large costs because their creator is a perfectionist that is never able to achieve his vision due to a myriad of manufactured reasons.

You're stating they have larger costs as if they have no say in the matter.

How well ACC sells is besides the point, I only used the game as an example of how GT would end up. With terrible sales compared to GT as is.

And yet you're still using another game as your supporting argument for failure.

You don't know for a fact how sales would be affected if PD had more simulator features, like a proper physics and sound engine that reflect the real world.

I never said that GT should become a hardcore simulator. I said it's time PD embrace their motto, and make GT the "Real Driving Simulator".

No one likes hardcore simulators as games. They like simulators for their realism and total player autonomy, not for couch gameplay.

Last edited:
What?

I'm saying PD has the financial as well as marketing support from SONY. PD is a household name, Kunos isn't.

The only thing they need to fund that is "unique" in the racing genre is the Museum - most probably licensing, as the images aren't theirs to begin with. The other unique features such as:
  • Scapes Mode, which is again, sponsored by SONY as they are using their Alpha line mirrorless DSRLs
  • GT Championship, again, sponsored by SONY. I appreciate PD and Kaz for putting their game in new light and trying out the eSports section, but they have A LOT to iron out.
  • Lewis Hamilton DLC in GTS: More of a one-time invitational. Not a fleshed out time trial like their previous iterations with Jeff Gordon, and Sebastian Vettel (even that one was kind of meh).
Every other feature in the game, is standard development:
  • Tracks
  • Manufacturers
  • Track-side sponsors (mostly in-house)
  • Licensing
  • Trademarks
  • Physics engine
  • Sound engine
  • Graphics, etc.
So I don't understand where this viewpoint comes in, that PD is somehow hindered and is thus needy of a bigger production costs. They have large costs because their creator is a perfectionist that is never able to achieve his vision due to a myriad of manufactured reasons.

You're stating they have larger costs as if they have no say in the matter.

And yet you're still using another game as your supporting argument for failure.

You don't know for a fact how sales would be affected if PD had more simulator features, like a proper physics and sound engine that reflect the real world.

I never said that GT should become a hardcore simulator. I said it's time PD embrace their motto, and make GT the "Real Driving Simulator".

No one likes hardcore simulators as games. They like simulators for their realism and total player autonomy, not for couch gameplay.
As much as your arguments may be valid, and as much as I would love better physics and more customizable options in the game too (I’ve criticised the game’s physics from the beginning), I have serious doubts it’s going to change in the near future. That is based on a personal communication with a GTA winner who’s helping with development.

Personally, I think the question of licensing (both for cars and tracks) could be a very fascinating sort of question. Especially with what I've heard about Motorsports Games getting involved with the licensing of Le Mans and the cars that run on it. Between that, and DTM, I'd be highly curious to see if, in response, PD ends up developing even more made-for-game racers. I think it'd not only give GT more of an identity for its car list, but also could save PD tons of money on licensing. It also could lead to racecars based on road cars that were never made to that spec in real life.

For example, imagine what PD could do with Gr.2 - in place of a licensed DTM car like the Audi RS5, we could get a PD-made, Gr.2-spec version of the 3rd-gen Audi TT in its place, as the first-gen TT was indeed in DTM. Or, instead of the BMW M4 DTM, we could get a Gr.2-spec M8 (G15) or even a Gr.2-spec Z4 (G29). That's before we get into automakers that've never been in DTM/Super GT500, just as we have an Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3, despite that automaker never being in GT3/GTE/GT2/etc. as far as I'm aware. This entire paragraph could also very easily apply to Gr.1, especially if Motorsports Games decides that PD can't use LMH/LMDh/Group C/etc. in their games, though I'm not sure if that's been decided yet.

Speaking of Le Mans: as much as I'd really like notable licensed courses to stick around in GT7 - such as Monaco and Le Mans - I wouldn't mind both new original courses and revised original courses, like we can see with Trial Mountain. I think some original courses could either stay behind in older games, or get revised for better online racing - the only exception being Apricot Hill, which I think is perfect as-is. An example of a course that'd likely be better left-behind would be the Test Course and the Super Speedway, as I don't think there's much that can be done with those that SSRX cannot do.

Last edited:
Sorry, but a race track game without the nordschleife, it’s for me a no go. I know, black pain doesn’t drive there.

You're right, GT1, 2 and 3 weren't even real GT games. I don't know how anyone stands to play them, let alone how they managed to become popular and successful.

The Nordschliefe is a great track, but even if you're the world's biggest Nords fan the idea that you can't have fun in a game without it is just silly.

Addition , only GT gives me the feeling, when I start it, I’m coming home. Games like acc have a boring menu and make me quick loose the want to play. GT is there unique what no other game has.

If obscure, slow and confusing menus make you feel at home then more power to you. Personally I don't find the menu to be that big a part of the gameplay experience, at most it's irritating when it gets in the way (cough*GT5*cough) of what I actually want to be doing - driving.

They have large costs because their creator is a perfectionist that is never able to achieve his vision due to a myriad of manufactured reasons.

Just to be clear, Gran Turismo history has established that Kaz is not a perfectionist. He's very much an optimist, but a perfectionist, no.

Not unless you're suggesting that he has basically no control over what goes into a GT game and when it's released, in which case I'm not sure why it would matter at all what his personality is like.

Talking about GT becoming a hardcore sim, it depends what you are picturing behind it. I don't think it needs to be so detailed that you have to warm up your brakes, check oil temperature, or enter/exit pit manually while keeping your speed under limit, or overly detailed settings for setups, etc. But I do think the driving could still be closer to a hardcore sim and I don't think it would be much of an issue, as long as it's optimised for a controller.

Here is ACC on a controller. It doesn't look bad at all. With the new PS5 controller and PD's optimisation, it would be even better in GT.

Talking about GT becoming a hardcore sim, it depends what you are picturing behind it. I don't think it needs to be so detailed that you have to warm up your brakes, check oil temperature, or enter/exit pit manually while keeping your speed under limit, or overly detailed settings for setups, etc. But I do think the driving could still be closer to a hardcore sim and I don't think it would be much of an issue, as long as it's optimised for a controller.

Here is ACC on a controller. It doesn't look bad at all. With the new PS5 controller and PD's optimisation, it would be even better in GT.

I dont see why GT can't implement those features as options you can enable/disable. The more autonomy and information a player has the better, imo.

Should you opt out, you can do so before starting a single player race or online lobby.

I'd refrain from comparing GT to other games. PD implementing features we've seen in past games and cleaning up many of the functionality of GT, I vote for that.

As much as I do wish and keep hoping and mention this and that, the realisation is, PD need to bring back features we have in other GT games. Again, I've done it for years: 'I wish PD had this from(enter any racing game).' Coming to grips with the truth that PD will be PD, it's as if when I would post those wishes, PD read them and are like :confused::confused::confused::confused:. So, if I keep it as: 'I enjoyed track creator. PD should bring that back and have the environments more engaging.' Something to that effect. PD would read it and make a note. Seems like they were reading and listening to the fans, in regards to bringing back the feeling/play of past GTs. Anything extra from other games, is in another dimension, as far as PD are concerned. They can't see it or fathom it.

The problem with that is you'll never, ever satisfy everyone.

When the game finally does release there will be lots of moaning "its got too many made up tracks" "its not got enough cars" "its got too many real tracks" "it doesn't have a creator" "its too sim like" "its not realistic enough" and many other things.

Part of this is the way over time our expectations have been raised - back in GT1-3 days we were just happy with what we got, now we demand realistic scenery, complex physics models, weather, VR, penalty systems and lots of other stuff.

GT7 is going to disappoint some, get derided by others, (hopefully) enjoyed by many.

Latest Posts

Back