Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,295 comments
Good question. I’d say it’s so that online races are less of a mess.
Would that really help at all though? We already have ghosting to help prevent those issues. Adding runoff/widening tracks isn't going to really do anything except make the tracks look more plain, and drive that way as well if the track is widened along with adding runoff.

Would that really help at all though? We already have ghosting to help prevent those issues. Adding runoff/widening tracks isn't going to really do anything except make the tracks look more plain, and drive that way as well if the track is widened along with adding runoff.
Perhaps. We’ll just have to see what PD thinks.

Having cars not bouncing down the walls at the side of the track does help realism and immersion if you're interested in those sorts of things. It means that when you mess up and fly off the track you have to recover in a manner more similar to a normal racing driver, even if ghosting is still there to stop people who rejoin unsafely from ruining everyone's day.

If you're making "The Real Driving Simulator", you could put at least a little bit of effort into encouraging people to drive in a semi-realistic manner.

They also could hand pick the best tracks for racing to keep in the Sport mode rotation. Kind of like CSGO does with their 'active duty maps'. While the rest of the maps get used for singleplayer, and open lobbies.
This is true, but I'd rather have as many courses eligible for rotation in competitive modes as possible, even if it means modifying some of the courses.

Having cars not bouncing down the walls at the side of the track does help realism and immersion if you're interested in those sorts of things. It means that when you mess up and fly off the track you have to recover in a manner more similar to a normal racing driver, even if ghosting is still there to stop people who rejoin unsafely from ruining everyone's day.

If you're making "The Real Driving Simulator", you could put at least a little bit of effort into encouraging people to drive in a semi-realistic manner.
So does that mean we should stop having street circuits in Gran Turismo, and make the diversity in track types even lower just because a small percentage of drivers struggle driving on them? I would much prefer they improve wall collision physics or just punish players more in some way for hitting the wall.

This is true, but I'd rather have as many courses eligible for rotation in competitive modes as possible, even if it means modifying some of the courses.

That sounds like a good idea on paper, but you forget there are many low-powered street cars that also need interesting tracks that are suited drive on. If you make every track look like an F1 track in pursuit of cleaner races with Gr. class cars, it's not going to be very fun for slower cars. That was one of the reasons I liked the old Trial Mountain so much, because no matter how slow the car was, it was still fun to drive that track.

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Given the recent strong rumors of several 1st and 2nd party Sony games like God of War and Bloodboune coming to the PC, what do you think the chances are of us seeing a PC port of GT 7? Is that something you feel is possible?

Hi guys.

Given the recent strong rumors of several 1st and 2nd party Sony games like God of War and Bloodboune coming to the PC, what do you think the chances are of us seeing a PC port of GT 7? Is that something you feel is possible?

I don't think it is possible because it's a console seller. The marginal profit from selling on PC would not offset the profits from getting people to buy a console and selling future content.

Hi guys.

Given the recent strong rumors of several 1st and 2nd party Sony games like God of War and Bloodboune coming to the PC, what do you think the chances are of us seeing a PC port of GT 7?

Super slim... all the PC hard-core simracers are not really interested in GT and all the arcade fans already have enough games and might dislike GT for being too hard-core paradoxically. Remember, they mostly use keyboards and only some of them use gamepads (which is still not the ideal input device for GT).

Not to mention it would have to be an older game like GT SPORT (which is a meh GT game in the first place but more importantly an online focused game, which requires a lot of cheat-proofing, not a very difficult task on a pretty much non-existent PS4 hacking community, but veeery difficult on PC... and remember, we’re talking FIA sanctioned online championships here... I imagine they wouldn’t want to see cheaters there).

Porting GT6 or older doesn’t make much sense to begin with, not to mention all the licencing issues, which would probably make it unreasonably difficult and time/money consuming.

They definitely wouldn’t release GT7 on PC since GT7 being a PS exclusive is one of the reasons PS5 will continue to sell so well.

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Never going to happen because GT is a system seller.

Hi guys.

Highly doubt it, and I bet modding is one thing that Kaz wouldn't want on a traditional Gran Turismo game.

Highly doubt it, and I bet modding is one thing that Kaz wouldn't want on a traditional Gran Turismo game.
I doubt modding would be a key reason, and they can deal with discouraging mods easily enough. I'd have thought a decision like this would be led by the sales numbers. Any revenue gained would have to offset any negative impact it could have on PS5. If we were to see GT7 release on PC I'd guess it'd release at least 12 months after it's PS5 release, that way it still sells systems and you can pick up PC sales further down the line.

I don't think there's no audience for GT on PC, there's a definite market for it if you ask me. Forza 7 appears to have done well enough with the cross over. However, tieing into the first point, me being able to purchase Forza 7 and Horizon 3 and 4 on PC were key reasons I didn't buy an XB1. However those titles released on PC at the same time as XB1, so having a 12 month delay between a PS5 release and a PC release could still encourage console sales. But all of that's hypothetical, we don't know that GT7 is releaseing for PC and as it stands it likely isn't going to be.

Last edited:
Super slim... all the PC hard-core simracers are not really interested in GT...

You reckon? Most of the simracers I know still enjoy games like GT and Forza, or at least did at one point in time and would play another good one if it was available. Liking hardcore sims doesn't mean you stop liking all other racing games. I have a preference for realistic sims like iRacing and ACC, but I still play FM7 and FH4. Sometimes even with a pad. And I'm not a heretic or anything, I just enjoy playing games that are, like, fun.

I think if they released GTS around now on PC as a warm up to get players excited for GT7 on release it would go well for them. They'd almost certainly make enough money to make the porting worthwhile, and they potentially encourage people to get in on GT7. The games should always be released exclusively on PS because that's the point, but once the initial sales spike is over I see no disadvantage to spreading the games around as many platforms as possible. Building the brand only works to Polyphony and Sony's advantage in the long term.

Releasing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC is a big part of what makes me want to buy a PS5 after skipping PS4 entirely, because while I have plenty of games to play the idea that I could be playing games that good right now instead of in 3 to 5 years is enticing.

I think I've noticed something in the campaigns of other GT games - the Supercar Festival and the Premium Sports Lounge seem to be mutually-exclusive, and I don't recall there being any games that've had both events. But if either event returns, I'm hoping for stricter car regulations, especially for the Premium Sports Lounge. I think instead of having a credit-cost regulation, there should be a specific list of vehicles that are permitted, and associated with being more expensive or luxurious, like those from Bentley, Bugatti, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, and so on - with some individual models being the sole possible entries for some automakers, like either iteration of the Ford GT, or the Porsche Carrera GT, 918, 959, or 911 GT1 Strassenversion. Otherwise, if we just go by a credit cost, you end up with GT Sport's version of the Premium Sports Lounge, where you could simply enter a KTM X-Bow and blow away the competition. I just don't think that sort of car fits the "image" of the Premium Sports Lounge.

I also would hope that if either event returns, there'd be a round at the Ascari Race Resort, as that seems to be a course that fits into the vaguely pretentious image of either event. Also, a round at the Daytona Road Course seems like a good idea, as well as at Le Mans.

Hi guys.

I think it's possible. Given current events and statements by Sony, any Playstation IP has a chance, above zero at least, of coming to the PC.

I would say it's not a good idea to affirm, with certainty, that X title won't come because the trend is that they will, eventually. People dismissed hints at Horizon Zero Dawn for PC, yet it happened. Then they said Horizon was a one-off, and now we have Days Gone and several other, yet to be disclosed, exclusives coming over. What I don't see happening is a simultaneous release, but rather a timed-exclusivity period, instead.

The 'system seller' argument doesn't hold much water for me, as exclusives have lost the importance they once had. Many systems nowadays are bought as an affordable, hassle-free entry, to play games like Fortnite and Call of Duty. Nintendo is the only exception because they don't build a traditional 'power' system, like Microsoft and Sony, but instead focus on innovative ways to play and enjoy games. Nintendo need first-parties, taking advantage of these new innovations and gimmicks, because multi-platform games will offer a better experience on the other systems. Sony have realized that staying only on one platform, limits the potential audience they can reach, and thus their ability to meet the required profit margins. They can't go to other consoles, because they're direct competitors, so they go to PC, an indirect competitor.

Gran Turismo is impressive in how it's just hardcore enough, and accessible enough, to attract a bit from the whole spectrum of racing gamers. Certainly one of the main reasons why it's such a sales success. So it's not as if there won't be a good number of people interested in it, on PC. It may not have the physics of the big PC sims, but those games tend to be lacking in one, or more of these areas: car lists, track lists, visuals, photo mode, career progression. GT, by offering all of this, would only clash directly with Forza. Sony must have done the math and reached the following conclusion: there are quite more people willing to pay for GT, but unwilling to leave their system of choice for it, then those willing to go all in. If that's the case, it may be more profitable to sell those extra copies of GT (plus potential DLCs) to PC users, than hope they come over to PS5.

The 'system seller' argument doesn't hold much water for me, as exclusives have lost the importance they once had. Many systems nowadays are bought as an affordable, hassle-free entry, to play games like Fortnite and Call of Duty.
That is true but also kinda sad...

I doubt modding would be a key reason...
It would be for the FIA sanctioned GT championship ;)

You reckon? Most of the simracers I know still enjoy games like GT and Forza, or at least did at one point in time and would play another good one if it was available. Liking hardcore sims doesn't mean you stop liking all other racing games. I have a preference for realistic sims like iRacing and ACC, but I still play FM7 and FH4. Sometimes even with a pad. And I'm not a heretic or anything, I just enjoy playing games that are, like, fun.

I think if they released GTS around now on PC as a warm up to get players excited for GT7 on release it would go well for them. They'd almost certainly make enough money to make the porting worthwhile, and they potentially encourage people to get in on GT7. The games should always be released exclusively on PS because that's the point, but once the initial sales spike is over I see no disadvantage to spreading the games around as many platforms as possible. Building the brand only works to Polyphony and Sony's advantage in the long term.

Releasing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC is a big part of what makes me want to buy a PS5 after skipping PS4 entirely, because while I have plenty of games to play the idea that I could be playing games that good right now instead of in 3 to 5 years is enticing.

Good points, but you didn't adress the hacking concerns.

So... are you guys ready for the "Red Rock Valley Speedway and Renault Espace F1 leaked on GT7" news tomorrow?
I think that's after the complete 2021 Super GT grid, work in progress leak, but before Grand Valley featuring the EG Civic SiR versus Corvette GS vs Viper GTS leaked demo.

I think I've noticed something in the campaigns of other GT games - the Supercar Festival and the Premium Sports Lounge seem to be mutually-exclusive, and I don't recall there being any games that've had both events. But if either event returns, I'm hoping for stricter car regulations, especially for the Premium Sports Lounge. I think instead of having a credit-cost regulation, there should be a specific list of vehicles that are permitted, and associated with being more expensive or luxurious, like those from Bentley, Bugatti, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, and so on - with some individual models being the sole possible entries for some automakers, like either iteration of the Ford GT, or the Porsche Carrera GT, 918, 959, or 911 GT1 Strassenversion. Otherwise, if we just go by a credit cost, you end up with GT Sport's version of the Premium Sports Lounge, where you could simply enter a KTM X-Bow and blow away the competition. I just don't think that sort of car fits the "image" of the Premium Sports Lounge.

I also would hope that if either event returns, there'd be a round at the Ascari Race Resort, as that seems to be a course that fits into the vaguely pretentious image of either event. Also, a round at the Daytona Road Course seems like a good idea, as well as at Le Mans.
Regulations like that has been implemented in various GT events like manufacturer events, just that not Premium Sports Lounge yeah. Probably by those expensive brands, cars must cost at least a certain amount. For Supercar Festival or other events I'd wish a level like GT2's races, where there are races for lower level supercars like standard Audi R8, then middle level supercars like Carrera GT, and outright hypercars like LaFerrari.

It would be for the FIA sanctioned GT championship ;)
It's only really a problem if PD were to do nothing about it. People aren't running mods in Forza 7 because the moment they do they get banned. You just have to have a means to identify and tackle those running mods quickly and there are means and ways to do that.

It's only really a problem if PD were to do nothing about it. People aren't running mods in Forza 7 because the moment they do they get banned. You just have to have a means to identify and tackle those running mods quickly and there are means and ways to do that.
Regardless, cheating in ranked multiplayer is a big concern, just look at COD Warzone, a series that has a rich history on PC and yet they struggle in keeping cheaters away. I even got killed by cheaters when playing on PS4, with crossplay turned on. Many times actually. I imagine GT would not be so popular in terms of cheating but I think it would be a huge issue. And PD is concerned as well, otherwise they wouldn't make online saving mandatory for GT SPORT.

Regardless, cheating in ranked multiplayer is a big concern, just look at COD Warzone, a series that has a rich history on PC and yet they struggle in keeping cheaters away. I even got killed by cheaters when playing on PS4, with crossplay turned on. Many times actually. I imagine GT would not be so popular in terms of cheating but I think it would be a huge issue. And PD is concerned as well, otherwise they wouldn't make online saving mandatory for GT SPORT.

I would agree that this is something PD have a concern about.

Don't play Warzone but I do play Cold War and have recently turned off cross play because sometimes I do think PC players may be using mods/lag advantage and of course there are may 'glitches' out there that console players will take advantage of too!

No game will ever fully be able to avoid this issue of cheats and exploits but I guess the problem is the inability of the developers to be on top of the situation.

That said MuHoYo who make Genshin Impact do appear to be more on top of this than other developers I've seen but as long as the files are kept server side we shouldn't have any major issues in GT7 unlike the old days of PS3 when you could import game data on a jailbroken console etc...

Last edited:
I would agree that this is something PD have a concern about.

Don't play Warzone but I do play Cold War and have recently turned off cross play because sometimes I do think PC players may be using mods/lag advantage and of course there are may 'glitches' out there that console players will take advantage of too!

No game will ever fully be able to avoid this issue of cheats and exploits but I guess the problem is the inability of the developers to be on top of the situation.

That said MuHoYo who make Genshin Impact do appear to be more on top of this than other developers I've seen but as long as the files are kept server side we shouldn't have any major issues in GT7 unlike the old days of PS3 when you could import game data on a jailbroken console etc...
Just to clarify, I'm talking about blatant using of aimbot cheats and wallhacks. And yeah, it's not something game devs can avoid altogether, however, you have to realise PD selects players for real life events based on the game's online races, not to mention they also stream the races sometimes. I can't imagine something like cheating happening in such cases. It would be a disaster.

Back