Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,956 comments
Screen-space reflections have too many jarring occlusion artifacts by the nature of how it works that i'm sure Polyphony wants to avoid, such as seen in Driveclub.

SSR is also pretty cheap to render, I believe they could have used it in GTSport if they wanted. Polyphony actually opted to use something more expensive for player-car interiors such as dynamic cubemaps

...when I first time turned on DC, and played and saw all those details... I was so hyped for GT on PS4, and when it came out, I was so disappointed...
I just hope we will see GT7 in it's full glory... also I hope to get hands on PS5 soon... it is already nerve braking for me...

Too bad. Man Ps5 is not even the main highlight of anything sony is doing. Wondering if we’ll get an upgraded version much earlier as that wouldn’t hurt so many Ps5 owners, since there aren’t that many.

"Not that many PS5 owners" also known as more than 7.8 million people... The PS5 is the fastest selling console of all time.

With 114 million units of PS4 sold, and a back log on PS5s, I can see why it's not the major focus. It's hard to sell PS5 content when PS5s aren't readily available. While the profitability of PS4 is still doing well.

Think it's gonna be tough to maintain native 4K at 60fps with ray tracing, though, as shown on the latest PS5 titles such as Returnal. So some form of reconstruction and/or dynamic res is gonna be required, I think, if they want to meet that 4K/60fps/RT goal.

Gonna be surprising if PD can pull it off without reconstruction/dynamic res, though. Especially if they plan on implementing dynamic weather as well.

No matter what Playstation and Polyphony Digital says to market the game, there is no way raytracing will be used in actual gameplay situations. It will most likely be only used to make cars look prettier in brand central/'your home' screen... and maybe also in photo mode rendering too.

Just keep in mind how bad GT Sport can look at times still with very low detailed LOD's on cars, and poor shadows. I would be VERY annoyed if GT7 still had those exact visual flaws, all because Playstation and Polyphony wanted to trade all the visuals they could have improved, just to have raytracing.

Do they make their trailers in game-engine?
The Olympic Virtual Series trailer showed off some ray-tracing and it looks good.
Screenshot_20210513-114011.png

Unless AMD work out how to do their own DLSS ray tracing won't be used in game. Im starting to doubt we will see the game in 2022 as well as they haven't even shown a real playable game yet. And with their track record a betting man would be silly to bet 2022 at this point.

Unless AMD work out how to do their own DLSS ray tracing won't be used in game. Im starting to doubt we will see the game in 2022 as well as they haven't even shown a real playable game yet. And with their track record a betting man would be silly to bet 2022 at this point.

We already have games on ps5 using ray-tracing during gameplay.

Isn't nessasary for Sony to promote or hype up GT7 when there is an issue with production, perhaps later towards ending of this year we'll get a new trailer.

We already have games on ps5 using ray-tracing during gameplay.
That run at 20fps, I don't think Sony will want their flagship game running so poorly. Even on a rtx 3090 at 4k it's not feasible to run games with ray tracing at 60fps unless DLSS is enabled, and the ps5 is more like a 3070 in performance specs.
For the slight gain over screen space reflections in image quality I doubt they will even bother really it's too much of a performance hit unless they are using it only for shadows or very low resolution reflections, at which point you are better off with screen space reflections and normal shadow maps anyway. I can't imagine the ps5 having enough power to pull it off well with 20 cars on the track at 4k. Unless AMD work out their DLSS tech that is...

Last edited:
Isn't nessasary for Sony to promote or hype up GT7 when there is an issue with production, perhaps later towards ending of this year we'll get a new trailer.
Production "issues" that make the PS5 the second-fastest selling PS console in history...

Last edited:

Or the more pressing point that the game isn't going to be released until 2022, and surely not early 2022 or they wouldn't have known so far in advance it wouldn't make 2021.

That run at 20fps, I don't think Sony will want their flagship game running so poorly. Even on a rtx 3090 at 4k it's not feasible to run games with ray tracing at 60fps unless DLSS is enabled, and the ps5 is more like a 3070 in performance specs.
For the slight gain over screen space reflections in image quality I doubt they will even bother really it's too much of a performance hit unless they are using it only for shadows or very low resolution reflections, at which point you are better off with screen space reflections and normal shadow maps anyway. I can't imagine the ps5 having enough power to pull it off well with 20 cars on the track at 4k. Unless AMD work out their DLSS tech that is...

Actually Spiderman runs at a locked 60fps with ray tracing on on ps5, and this was a launch Title. Insomniac's next-gen only game Ratchet will also have a 60fps mode with RT. The more taxing RT reflections are actually the ones with rough materials that don't have perfectly clear reflections. AMD’s solution isn't as good as Nvidia's but let's not pretend like it's incompetent. DLSS might help a dev do more with RT but it isn't necessary for a game to have RT effects. And SSR has too many jarring occlusion artifacts that will be noticeable in both gameplay and replays.

Last edited:
Honestly this makes no sense whatsoever. Have you even watched the trailer? They clearly showed a playable game 11 months ago. Also you would be silly to think that it will come out after 2022. PD can't rely on GT SPORT for profit forever. So far they have had almost 4 years to work on GT7. Based on what we've seen, I believe the game is almost ready to get released. I think the only reason they delayed it is because they want to add more cars and tracks but they can't due to covid.

Well, if PD were to go by past console sales, the game could be released on Tuesday. If five million- ten million, is what the games sell, could be all systems go. I guess the potentially two million of us, without a PS5, will just have to wait.

The fact we saw what we can assume was some part of the game in a playable state almost a year ago doesn't mean the game is ready to release. Games are playable in some form from a very early stage, the face we only saw one track and some menu's could indicate that only that one track was polished enough to show off. I'd love to start hearing more news soon, but I honestly don't think what we saw last year is a viable indicator of that. I think a 2022 release is most likely, maybe at a squeeze late 2021 for the holiday season. But I don't tihnk it's ready yet or the marketing for release would be ramping up already.

Last edited:
"Not that many PS5 owners" also known as more than 7.8 million people... The PS5 is the fastest selling console of all time.

Right. What percentage of that sales number is in an actual gamer's living room, and not some scalper's garage awaiting an eBay listing to be fulfilled?

That number means jack 🤬

Last edited:
In the US its believed 10-15% of units went to scalpers https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/p...lpers-managed-to-snatch-10-15-of-all-consoles
The 7.8m figure is a few weeks old now, thus likely to have gone up.

So if we scale that up, we're looking at 780k - 1.17m have gone through scalpers hands, the vast majority of which will have been sold on. lets be generous and take the 15% figure, out of those lets say that 20% remain unsold - that gives us 234k.(suspect its much lower)
Therefore at a guess, there are easily 7.5m playstations in the grubby little mitts of gamers.

Back