Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,925 comments
I really really hope that PD moves into the modern age of online gaming and removes the time schedule from the races. For all i care they can keep the 3 weekly races, but instead of having time slots it should be like any other online game, a lobby where you wait until there is enough players.

I really really hope that PD moves into the modern age of online gaming and removes the time schedule from the races. For all i care they can keep the 3 weekly races, but instead of having time slots it should be like any other online game, a lobby where you wait until there is enough players.
I would pretty much never touch daily races if I had to sit around waiting for lobbies to fill up. Besides, because of how GTS is designed to match you against players as close to your skill level as possible (and it’s safe to assume GT7 will be the same way), the scheduled system is best.

Last edited:
I hated doing this in GT5 and GT6. GT Sport's regular schedule eliminates a lot of the crap because it doesn't rely on a host to start the race. You don't have to wait for players to fill the lobby.

The forest is the best looking GT environment, that's a mix of 2 and 3d trees. Is this what they licensed Speedtree for? 😆

untitled_panorama1q4krs.jpg

If they roll this out to all other tracks in GT7 PS4, I'll be satisfied.
In my opinion these trees aren't good enought for ps5 standards,even on ps4 there is much better stuff if you look at Uncharted,GoW or HZD. They have to come up with something better than this otherwise they will be left behind when it comes to graphics

I hated doing this in GT5 and GT6. GT Sport's regular schedule eliminates a lot of the crap because it doesn't rely on a host to start the race. You don't have to wait for players to fill the lobby.
There is no host that needs to start the race, the race starts when there is enough players, with a game like GT-Sport that wouldn't take long.

I would pretty much never touch daily races if I had to sit around waiting for lobbies to fill up. Besides, because of how GTS is designed to match you against players as close to your skill level as possible (and it’s safe to assume GT7 will be the same way), the scheduled system is best.
GT-Sport is the only game i know that does it this way yet it is possible for all the other online games to do without a "schedule" and matchmaking.

My main reason for wanting this is to get more active players online. If i want to do Race C i have to wait 30 mins if i am unlucky and 2 mins if i hit the time perfectly. Those times would never be accepted elsewhere.

There is no host that needs to start the race, the race starts when there is enough players, with a game like GT-Sport that wouldn't take long.

GT-Sport is the only game i know that does it this way yet it is possible for all the other online games to do without a "schedule" and matchmaking.

My main reason for wanting this is to get more active players online. If i want to do Race C i have to wait 30 mins if i am unlucky and 2 mins if i hit the time perfectly. Those times would never be accepted elsewhere.
At least in those 30 minutes you are guaranteed a race and not waiting indefinitely for the room to fill up, which brings me to the next issue with this.

Like I said, GTS uses skill based matchmaking and GT7 will surely be the same way. How will that work with a lobby system where you must wait for other players? If I’m A/S for example, would I have to wait for other A/S players to join before I even get to race? And even if you did it the way GTS does, where it prioritizes matching SR first, you’d get A+ drivers racing against C and D drivers who happen to join because getting 99 SR isn’t hard at all.

I just don’t see this being feasible, especially 2+ years later down the line where you may not have as many active players.

Last edited:
At least in those 30 minutes you are guaranteed a race and not waiting indefinitely for the room to fill up, which brings me to my next issue with this.

Like I said, GTS uses skill based matchmaking and GT7 will surely be the same way. How will that work with a lobby system where you must wait for other players? If I’m A/S for example, would I have to wait for other A/S players to join before I even get to race? And even if you did it the way GTS does, where it prioritizes matching SR first, you’d get A+ drivers racing against C and D drivers who happen to join because getting 99 SR isn’t hard at all.

I just don’t see this being feasible, especially 2+ years later down the line where you may not have as many active players.
How does literally any other game with competitive online matchmaking do it?

How does literally any other game with competitive online matchmaking do it?
Depends. Do those games also have two ratings like in GT that need to be taken into account when matchmaking players?

In my opinion these trees aren't good enought for ps5 standards,even on ps4 there is much better stuff if you look at Uncharted,GoW or HZD. They have to come up with something better than this otherwise they will be left behind when it comes to graphics
It just needs better ambient occlusion, the trees look good enough for me even for PS5. The problem with Third Person games comparison is most of those games run at half the framerate and they don't have to render 20+ cars with more advance physics, that's why they're able to focus more on other parts of the visuals. Outside of cars, trees are probably the most demanding to render. I remember reading an article here on GTPlanet that Nurburgring on GTSport has more than 10,000 trees.

Last edited:
I find it strange that so many people are pessimistic about GT7 here. I'm sure both graphics and physics will be greatly improved. For cars and tracks, it's up to PD.

I should have clarified, that was a genuine question, I don't play games online so I honestly don't know how they do it.
Well, every online game I’ve played either matchmakes players together regardless of skill or there is a ranked mode that puts players of similar skill level together based on a single rating you can increase by doing well in matches. I have yet to come across another console game like GTS that uses a dual-rating system.

Last edited:
I find it strange that so many people are pessimistic about GT7 here. I'm sure both graphics and physics will be greatly improved. For cars and tracks, it's up to PD.
Sometimes it's weird to go to an enthusiast club and see that not everyone is enthusiastic.
But I believe most are here to see the good aspects that the new Gran Turismo will bring. ;)

The pessimism derives because of the cross gen announcment. Everyone was hoping that GT7 will be a big jump from GTS in physics,graphics,features etc. but being cross gen there's less possibility to see these improvements

Last edited:
The pessimism derives because of the cross gen announcment. Everyone was hoping that GT7 will be a big jump from GTS in physics,graphics,features etc. but being cross gen there's less possibility to see these improvements
Pessimism derives from human nature. It's a state of mind.
I don't think being pessimistic is right or wrong, but what can be discussed is whether we should expose pessimism in an enthusiast club.

Pessimism derives from human nature. It's a state of mind.
I don't think being pessimistic is right or wrong, but what can be discussed is whether we should expose pessimism in an enthusiast club.
I think you need a balance between positive outlooks and pessimistic ones. There's zero reason one should be OK and not the other. However, it's always good to base your outlook on as much fact as possible.

My expectations in terms of graphics or features for a 2022 game are much higer. Given that I will buy a Series X for Forza Horizon 5 this November, so I'll expect at least something on par with FH5.

The forest is the best looking GT environment, that's a mix of 2 and 3d trees. Is this what they licensed Speedtree for? 😆

untitled_panorama1q4krs.jpg

If they roll this out to all other tracks in GT7 PS4, I'll be satisfied.
Kinda crazy how obsessed we are with trees. These look good enough, I mean they have trunks, leaves, and they look green. What do trees supposed to look like anyway? How is this not enough for PS5? An ambient occlusion would make them look less flat.

Last edited:
It's like people have been watching PD release games and make promises for decades and have reasons to be pessimistic. Add in the PS4 release and it seems wise to keep expectations low.

1627290921593.png

Yep...it always comes back around.
from July last year and January this year. Every six months, like clockwork. Pesky trees...:sly:
The argument then becomes, "PD should stop wasting time on things noone will play. Use those assets on fixing the trees. Have you seen the trees? I can't stand the trees! At 150mph, the trees are so annoying to look at. Doing 151mph, even worse! Damn trees...".

Are you nuts? Have you seen the trees, man? This game is doomed if it comes out now. I'm happy to wait another "7"(seven) years if it means the trees will finally look 3D. After 29 years, we'll have some good trees to look at, while doing 160mph( through a tunnel of course). My mind will be at peace.

Man, I don't care about the trees. Make them look like the fur things in The Lorax. I want to watch replays of the cars. Release the game today, with a handful of tracks and a couple cars. If Custom Race is actually custom, car customisation have everything we want, AI are competitive, Online is smooth, make all the tracks desert wastelands like Mad Max. There, trees sorted.

The last time I really noticed genuinely eyesore trees were on PS3. The end of La Sarthe was one of the big ones, a few others.

trees.jpg

A single row of pathetic looking 2D "trees" sat on a flat, low res earth texture and then a 2D flat wall of "trees" behind them. You really couldn't not notice it.

I'm sure there are still some dodgy ones on PS4 but not that I really noticed while playing. Well, except the fictional tracks that just looked super sparse overall.

Has the cross gen thing actually been confirmed?

In my case it was seeing experience points and level in the reveal video. That crap only mean not enough content and a way of enforcing compusary grinding. That was the single biggest fault with both GT5 and GTS.

I mean, Polyphony is as obsessed with the graphical representation of vegetation and trees as some of the forum posts here. I remember PD mentioned swaying trees in the wind and reproducing accurate tree barks when GTSport's detail page first went up on the official GT site. Vegetation and trees make up the majority of the tracks, it's extremely noticeable when they look unrealistic compared to everything else. Even if you're zooming past them, you were still looking dead at them in front of you at some point. And photomode is a huge part of these games that poor vegetation will pretty much ruin any good pics that are shooting for realism.

"Landscape

Huge strides have also been made in landscape expressions. See each and every leaf on a tree as it sways in the wind. Weather, time, and the age of the tree are considered when reproducing it in the game, right down to its bark. Even the asphalt possesses unique characters, regarding its size, grain and distribution of the asphalt surface. Thanks to advanced data capturing and the perceptional talents of the artists, Gran Turismo approaches landscape reproduction from every aspect."

We never got swaying trees but at least we know it was a goal at one point. Most of the roadside trees on Nurburgring have nice detail, and tree stumps and branches were actually 3D with various multiple different 2D cards making the leaf canopies (same approach as Driveclub), unlike tracks like Alsace, Brands Hatch, Red Bull Ring where an entire tree, or even row of trees, is made up of one large single spinning 2D card that doesn't even light or shade properly. The difference in quality is so stark you can tell which tracks Polyphony rushed through in development either from running out of time, lack of manpower, or both. They should really start getting some outsource help for track assets too.

Nurburgring
yeVnown.jpg

mqVcWZI.jpg

Alsace
GF2vnX3.jpg

Red Bull Ring
LSWd9Ba.jpg

Last edited:
Back